The Saint (tv series and movies)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Director Dexter Fletcher (Eddie The Eagle, Rocketman) to direct a big-screen reboot of The Saint for Paramount.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/paramount-rocketmans-dexter-fletcher-the-saint-reboot-1203505890/

I’m not holding my breath for this, considering how many false starts we’ve had!
    I was always surprised they never made more movies with Val Kilmer as the Saint?
    I am sure it must have something to do with the movie not performing as well as it was supposed to or it had something to do with Val Kilmer, I never did find a decent reason.

It is however an interesting franchise so it is bound to be re-started and I must admit I really liked Rocket Man so I hope it comes to fruition.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Yeah, I could see him doing that rather well. With a director and possible star it looks like this might actually happen..? I guess I'll believe it when I see it.
    It's funny, I enjoy The Saint but I do wonder if it's all a bit old hat and tired now.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I like Pine and I think he'll be good in the part but I don't think he's got enough star power all by himself to make this iteration any more successful than the last few. Here's hoping it turns out to be good, all the same.
    Pine is alright and I hope that they will make it a period piece instead of updating him to the 21 century. I had hoped for Tom Ellis as Simon Templar but Pine would be alright, I do hope we get a bit of franchise going this time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I would quite enjoy it if he drove this :)

19-polestar-1-2019-first-drive-static-front.jpg?itok=zjNawqxJ
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/polestar/1
    20-polestar-1-2019-first-drive-static-rear.jpg?itok=X8G1TkYF
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Yes it can also be heard in the OTR Saint radio shows with the amazing Vincent Price doing the Saint even George Sanders did the Saint on the Radio making it a rather family thing as his brother did several Saint movies early on.
    Yes, that's what I think I read somewhere. That Charteris first came up with the theme tune for the radio plays which was then taken on for the TV series. I take it the tune wasn't used in the old movies starring George Sanders or Hayward? Having not seen any of these I don't know the answer.

Charteris created the theme that is heard in the George Sanders and Hugh Sinclair films, the radio show, and Seasons 5-6 of the Roger Moore TV show (Seasons 1-4 used a different theme by Edwin Astley).

Shame that I think the Astley one is much better! :)
    The Val Kilmer film certainly had its moments but was sadly an origin movie something the writer Charteris never really wrote so i felt at times unbalanced.

I think you've got to have some sort of origin story- we have to know to some extent what is driving this guy to seek to punish criminals and how he got into that position.
    The Val Kilmer film certainly had its moments but was sadly an origin movie something the writer Charteris never really wrote so i felt at times unbalanced.

I think you've got to have some sort of origin story- we have to know to some extent what is driving this guy to seek to punish criminals and how he got into that position.
    [/quote]

I personally do not believe in an origin story as Charteris never chose to write one himself, and this movie suffered the second guessing of another writing and possibly some grandstanding by Kilmer.

The movie lacked the sheer charisma of the early b/w movies George Sanders was bloody brilliant inmho.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

I personally do not believe in an origin story as Charteris never chose to write one himself,

He never wrote a modern movie either so that's kind of a moot point. In a movie script you need to know why characters are doing what they do.

mtm wrote: »

I personally do not believe in an origin story as Charteris never chose to write one himself,

He never wrote a modern movie either so that's kind of a moot point. In a movie script you need to know why characters are doing what they do.

Well, you can keep his past mysterious and shadowy, but as Templar would need to be point of view character we'd need to have at least a glimpse of this past. Especially for a first, "introduction" movie.
    Personally I find an origin movie rubbish when it comes to Simon Templar aka the Saint who arrived as a mysterious terror on criminals whose ill gotten gains were redistributed with a provision for the Saint himself.
    Bring a decent Saint story instead of bogging down in his motivation or character, he loves adventures and hates injustice.
    They tried a origin story and it kinda sucked, now lets move on and do a decent movie preferable a story before WW2 where his roots lie. And see if they can make use of some of Charteris work. No update for the 21st century that has not worked the last few times.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Personally I find an origin movie rubbish when it comes to Simon Templar aka the Saint who arrived as a mysterious terror on criminals whose ill gotten gains were redistributed with a provision for the Saint himself.
    Bring a decent Saint story instead of bogging down in his motivation or character, he loves adventures and hates injustice.

Giving a character motivation isn't 'bogging down'. It's essential.
    They tried a origin story and it kinda sucked

On that logic you could say that they tried a Saint movie and it sucked, so don't bother with the Saint. In fact, the last, what, four versions have sucked?
    You would actually need a bit of backstory to colour in the character for any new audiences - many of whom likely haven't even seen the Kilmer version. It would be important in order to distinguish the character a bit more from similar popular Robin Hood-style characters who seek are out to defend the little guy (your Jack Reachers, your Equalizers etc), just in case style alone didn't do it.

Will they set it in the modern day, I wonder?
    I wonder if Dynamite comic who already did James Bond will do The Saint. I hope so & the figure of favourite Roger Moore. It will be great anyone with me?
    mtm wrote: »
    I would quite enjoy it if he drove this :)

19-polestar-1-2019-first-drive-static-front.jpg?itok=zjNawqxJ
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/polestar/1
    20-polestar-1-2019-first-drive-static-rear.jpg?itok=X8G1TkYF
    Chris Pine from accepted but the 4 cylinder brand Polestar no way. Jaguar ,Bentley or try TVR & MG cars. They Dynamite should do The Saint comics with Roger Moore & someone requested it So just fine where & who
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Will they set it in the modern day, I wonder?

I'd be very surprised if they didn't. It'd be nice to get a sort of Talented Mr Ripley vibe I guess but I don't know how essential it is and you'd almost think it would cost more for a film of this kind and possibly not add a lot. Plus you miss out on potential product placement.
    But I guess it does differentiate from Bond etc. and Man From UNCLE managed it. I dunno, I usually like a bit of period stuff but with the Saint I'm not that bothered for some reason.

I'm never that keen on Bond being set in period, but at least that would slightly more of a reason to be set in the 50s etc. as he deals with the Cold War political situation then, the Saint mostly just takes out criminals and you don't have to go to the 30s to find them!
    Agent7F wrote: »
    Chris Pine from accepted but the 4 cylinder brand Polestar no way.

What's wrong with Polestar? It's basically a reincarnation of Roger's Saint car.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,415
    He already playing Jack Ryan in Shadow Recruit (not seen yet) and there don't make another movie. Whas great in wonder woman. In that Spy movie Tom Hardy i whas for Hardy chacter.

Should The Saint not be played by English actor and played in England or close to home. Harris Dickinson is English, soon seen in Kingsman prequel and from 1996. Will turn 24 in June and have Roger Moore look. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6170168/

harris-dickinson-750x563.jpg

He also have part in The Darkest Minds (2018) who bought in January, must stil watched it.
    I know that contemporary audiences lean toward origin stories but give me a Dr. No introduction story any day. Looking forward to a new Saint.
    As the previous attempts have failed to update "The Saint"to a new era I would not be surprised if the they returned Simon Templar to his original era or even to a scuffle with some Nazi's nobody like them with the exception for the current American President. ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Just noticed tonight watching The Saint " The Noble Sportsman " in which Anthony Quale plays a wealthy sportsman who’s life is threatened. The curious thing is he Drives an Aston Martin with a familiar number plate BMT 216A ?

Found this on Google about the car.
    The aston has the same number plate as Goldfinger because it is the same car the db5 prototype used in the saint before it was adapted with gadgets for Goldfinger the same car also appeared with roger again in the cannon ball run although by then it had a different number plate given to it when aston martin resold it after the bond film
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm guessing he'll inevitably drop out in a matter of months or years, with this project being in development hell. I don't have any optimism for it, I'm afraid.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I thought he was very charismatic in Bridgerton, and is a much better fit for this project than Pine, imo. But it's still going to need a good script, and I think I haven't seen a version of the Saint that worked since Ogilvy in the 70's.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I would love to see a Saint movie, but agree with @Creasy47 probably not going to happen. :(
    Hoping they fund it as well as the Val Kilmer and Elizabeth Shue movie of The Saint. I doubt Rege-Jean Page would have taken the role unless it were certain to be done well and with some money behind it. If they switched to a long-form TV program I'd be fine with it, though usually the Saint's stories are not that deep or complicated.
    Chris Pine was originally attached to that new Saint movie, wasn't he? Didn't realise he had dropped out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm guessing he'll inevitably drop out in a matter of months or years, with this project being in development hell. I don't have any optimism for it, I'm afraid.

Yes, I'll believe it when I see it! :D

I still haven't seen Bridgerton but I can imagine he'd be good in the role from seeing a couple of clips and he's obviously popular as a lead. Getting a breakout star like him would be the best thing to potentially happen to The Saint in a long time, if it gets off the ground.
    Trying to make a movie of it seems not a great idea though: the brand name isn't strong enough- it would be better to build as a TV show. I think if you want to make a movie of it you do need an established star who will bring the audience.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 17,241
    Making The Saint into a film does sound a bit difficult to pull off; I agree with you @mtm, that the brand name isn't strong enough. But The Saint would be great as a mini series on a streaming service. Lupin on Netflix is a good example of how The Saint could look like in a modern setting, IMO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I was just looking at the replies to his post on twitter announcing it (with a nice little GIF of Roger: can't fault the guy for that :) ) and quite a few of his followers have no idea what it is!
    I agree that Netflix-style series would be the way I think it would go best. But who knows, maybe.