Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    American lockdown protesters fueled in part by the "Liberate" tweets will surely have some effect on our landscape. Original death expectations were 100 to 200 thousand. Those numbers were clearly not big enough- they're going for that extra zero....
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    patb wrote: »
    I'm interested in other long term solutions in addition to a vaccine? I cant think of one.

The other main one mentioned is to get enough people infected to reach herd immunity, but that would take even longer than waiting for a vaccine (not even mentioning our health care system & hospitals would collapse. Herd immunity is achieved once 60% to 70% of the population is infected. We are currently at 'only' 2.4 million confirmed cases. Even if we multiply it by 10 for un-registered cases, we are still at least 4 billion cases too low. Even at 1 million new cases per day, it would take until 2031 at minimum to have enough infections to achieve this.

There have been tests and studies done that suggest that up to 15% of people may have already been infected, many of them without any symptoms.

This is far from being confirmed, but if true, reaching 70% could be quicker.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,275
    matt_u wrote: »
    I'm interested in other long term solutions in addition to a vaccine? I cant think of one.

The other main one mentioned is to get enough people infected to reach herd immunity, but that would take even longer than waiting for a vaccine (not even mentioning our health care system & hospitals would collapse. Herd immunity is achieved once 60% to 70% of the population is infected. We are currently at 'only' 2.4 million confirmed cases. Even if we multiply it by 10 for un-registered cases, we are still at least 4 billion cases too low. Even at 1 million new cases per day, it would take until 2031 at minimum to have enough infections to achieve this.

Well, without lockdowns and social restrictions in the first place the herd immunity would be achieved far quicker, given also how contagious is this virus, especially in Europe given the density of the continent.

By the deaths we are seeing mounting up each day, its safe to say now this virus just doesn't strike down elderly people as we were originally led to believe. Even under lockdown measures across Europe, the death toll is still rising in each country.

Without any lockdown, and allowing everyone to catch this to create a herd immunity is at a risk of wiping out not thousands, but millions of people, given how this virus spreads and attacks, which is why most governments decided to put measures in place, once they looked at scientific evidence and prediction models.

A policy of herd immunity would be opening the floodgates - lambs to the slaughter. The overload of patients in hospitals would cripple health services worldwide. Even under the current lockdown health services are struggling with PPE, ventilators, testing, etc.

One can only imagine what biblical disaster scenes we would witness if governments allowed everyone to catch this at the same time.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343

Well, without lockdowns and social restrictions in the first place the herd immunity would be achieved far quicker, given also how contagious is this virus, especially in Europe given the density of the continent.

And how many people would need to die in order to reach that herd immunity? 10 times as many as have already died, hmm? A small price to pay, you say. Okay fine: everybody's who's volunteering to die in order to reach that noble goal, raise your hands. Our Death Squad will be coming around shortly to punch your ticket.

I’m totally against this approach and back when BoJo spoke about that I was horrified by it. Humans are not animals and I felt embarrassed for all UK citizens who supported such a “man”. I was just pointing out that if you want to achieve an herd immunity a lockdown is pointless so those numbers were not correct.

Anyway I NEVER said that I’m supporting an herd immunity in my last post so I don’t get why some of you misinterpreted.

And yes I live in the most afflicted region in all Europe and that’s been 46 days of quarantine (and counting) totally alone. Just saying.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

And how many people would need to die in order to reach that herd immunity? 10 times as many as have already died, hmm? A small price to pay, you say. Okay fine: everybody's who's volunteering to die in order to reach that noble goal, raise your hands. Our Death Squad will be coming around shortly to punch your ticket.

Also, that's assuming our already overworked doctors will survive the virus.
  • matt_u wrote: »

Anyway I NEVER said that I’m supporting an herd immunity in my last post so I don’t get why some of you misinterpreted.

Sorry to have misinterpreted your intent. Please keep in mind: when you try to explain someone else's point of view, you run the risk of being believed to be supporting that POV.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    American lockdown protesters fueled in part by the "Liberate" tweets will surely have some effect on our landscape. Original death expectations were 100 to 200 thousand. Those numbers were clearly not big enough- they're going for that extra zero....

We're Number 1, dammit. In ALL THINGS, we are Number 1!
    RAF cargo plane on it's way to Turkey even though the PPE is not ready to collect - just gets more desperate every day. (was due on Sunday)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Sorry to have misinterpreted your intent. Please keep in mind: when you try to explain someone else's point of view, you run the risk of being believed to be supporting that POV.

Yep, anyway cheers! :)
    Benny wrote: »
    It seems nobody noticed the thread title change. #-o
    Yes, there is a political element to Covid -19
    But don’t let this become a political discussion. Please.

I think the main political question being raised for every country is this -
    When do we come out of lockdown?

It is the dangerous tightrope all countries are walking now. The economy vs protecting the health service.

One is not mutually exclusive to the other. They both overlap. As time goes on under lockdown, all economies are slowly collapsing more and more, yet open the lockdown too quickly and we could be in to a second wave, and a second lockdown, which could crash the economy even further.

One thing is for sure - I would not like to be in any politician's shoes right now to make these decisions. Either path they choose, its all a matter of life and death.

Yeah I wouldn't want to be in their shoes - one mistake in one way could have catastrophic outcomes. It seems that the way forward being approached is to ease restrictions slightly and see what affect results. Looking increasingly like the only true way out is getting the vaccine - think it's telling that in the UK they've really ramped this up and are aiming to get a vaccine for September ahead of the projected 12-18 months needed.

Yes, vaccine is the only real answer. .

How do you know this?

I don't know this for certain, just an opinion, a guess, but its fair to say a fairly obvious one based on what we know is happening around the planet.

Problem - new virus spread, killing thousands each day
    Solution - vaccine to stop people catching the virus

If you can think of any other solutions to fix this, I'm all ears.
    Antiviral drugs for those who catch the virus (as opposed to a vaccine, which is preventive) would also prove helpful. As a layman, I wonder if the development of drugs is harder, easier or equal than/to the development of vaccines.
    mattjoes wrote: »

It is the dangerous tightrope all countries are walking now. The economy vs protecting the health service.

One is not mutually exclusive to the other. They both overlap. As time goes on under lockdown, all economies are slowly collapsing more and more, yet open the lockdown too quickly and we could be in to a second wave, and a second lockdown, which could crash the economy even further.

One thing is for sure - I would not like to be in any politician's shoes right now to make these decisions. Either path they choose, its all a matter of life and death.

Yeah I wouldn't want to be in their shoes - one mistake in one way could have catastrophic outcomes. It seems that the way forward being approached is to ease restrictions slightly and see what affect results. Looking increasingly like the only true way out is getting the vaccine - think it's telling that in the UK they've really ramped this up and are aiming to get a vaccine for September ahead of the projected 12-18 months needed.

How do you know this?

I don't know this for certain, just an opinion, a guess, but its fair to say a fairly obvious one based on what we know is happening around the planet.

Antiviral drugs for those who catch the virus (as opposed to a vaccine, which is preventive) would also prove helpful. As a layman, I wonder if the development of drugs is harder, easier or equal than/to the development of vaccines.

Yes, some kind of anti-viral tablet too. Basically anything you can take to stop catching the damn thing. Until then this virus is here to stay.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
    160,000 deaths reached on April 18th (1 day later).
    170,000 deaths reached on April 20th (2 days later).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

How do you know this?

How do you know this?

How do you know this?

There have been promising trials, both with a malaria medicine and with vitamin C.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

How do you know this?

How do you know this?

How do you know this?

There have been promising trials, both with a malaria medicine and with vitamin C.

No, there haven't. Ask a scientist.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Indeed, they started out as promising trials but came to a dead end.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 613
    Here's some encouraging news about U.S. citizens' response to the ridiculous (and, of course, dangerous) anti-lockdown protests:

https://news.yahoo.com/yahoo-news-you-gov-coronavirus-poll-most-americans-reject-antilockdown-protests-124259347.html
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Here's some encouraging news about U.S. citizens' response to the ridiculous (and, of course, dangerous) anti-lockdown protests:

https://news.yahoo.com/yahoo-news-you-gov-coronavirus-poll-most-americans-reject-antilockdown-protests-124259347.html

Nice to know my country's dopes are heavily outnumbered.
    Unfortunately some of those dopes are armed with automatic weapons
    Apparently, the anti-lockdown crowd mostly consists of
    - gun nuts
    - Trump fans

I wonder if there's a connection... Anyway, good to know that there are still many more sane people left.

It would be foolish to assume that half a lockdown period and the first signs of declining numbers of infected and dead people is enough to kick everything into gears again. If a second wave hits while society is trying to renormalize, the situation could end up worse than before, what with new investments having been made and all.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,564
    Y'know, I've really started to sympathize with these protesters. They need to earn a paycheck -- what's wrong with that? It's just that right now, their paychecks are being signed by Betsy DeVos and the Koch brothers....
  • Matt007 wrote: »

I'm not the first person to note that if a hundred or so heavily armed BLACK people showed up on the steps of the Kentucky statehouse, FOX Noise wouldn't be quite so sympathetic to their cause -- now would they?
  • Y'know, I've really started to sympathize with these protesters. They need to earn a paycheck -- what's wrong with that? It's just that right now, their paychecks are being signed by Betsy DeVos and the Koch brothers....

• edited April 2020 Posts: 2,436
    A ray of hope - human trialling of a vaccine will be beginning on Thursday in the UK.
    Matt007 wrote: »

I'm not the first person to note that if a hundred or so heavily armed BLACK people showed up on the steps of the Kentucky statehouse, FOX Noise wouldn't be quite so sympathetic to their cause -- now would they?

And the Police?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Y'know, I've really started to sympathize with these protesters. They need to earn a paycheck -- what's wrong with that? It's just that right now, their paychecks are being signed by Betsy DeVos and the Koch brothers....

Sympathizing with Trump supporters? Triple posting? Quoting yourself? Truly the height of villainy. ;)

If there were black protestors acting the same way, some or all of them would be dead.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Here, in Ireland, all mass gatherings will be banned until the end of August.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    There are many advantages to living in Australia. Isolated, smaller population.
    Thankfully we seem to be flattening the curve, with only 20 new cases in the past 24 hours.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    That's very good, Benny! :) I'm glad.
  • Y'know, I've really started to sympathize with these protesters. They need to earn a paycheck -- what's wrong with that? It's just that right now, their paychecks are being signed by Betsy DeVos and the Koch brothers....

Sympathizing with Trump supporters? Triple posting? Quoting yourself? Truly the height of villainy. ;)

If there were black protestors acting the same way, some or all of them would be dead.

Actually, (first time around) it's just the current height of my own technoclumsiness.

And yes, your second line speaks precisely to my point: white folks parading around with weapons get a smile and a wink. Black folks trying the same foolishness would find a far less lenient response.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,564
    Matt007 wrote: »

And the Police?

Depends on which Police are involved. If it were Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland they'd probably just sing a few songs and consider that matter closed. And assuming we were all observing social distancing, one of the songs they'd sing would probably be "Don't Stand So Close to Me."