NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,441
    In weak 4 of Dutch Top 40 the song go from 15 to 21. 9 days after the delay. Whyle in weak before two days after the delay the song go from 17 to 15. On 20 March after 18.00 Dutch time we know how lower or higher in list she wil be. Mabey there already rejected the song and was 21 place was last time. But fow i expect to see song stil list.

I only heard song twice on radio on the same day in second weak and once more before the delay, count views are disapointed already before the delay. But song end in the list and believe me that's already much more then Cornell,Alicia Keys, Sheryl Crow and Garbage. Adele was first since Madonna and since then Smith and Billie end in it too.

Mabey she wil end in Top 2000 with movie's new release date if song get restart and enough people voted in to the list. Adele stil end it, whyle Smith no longer end in it. For long time now Duran Duran are also no longer in the list. It is also possible she can make comeback in top 40 and there wil weak count futher she end.
    It doesn't help the song that the film was moved back, that her tour was postponed and the world is focused on coronavirus. I wouldn't be surprised to see it revived in the fall ahead of the film.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I know someone else mentioned in this thread that it's a blessing in disguise that they hadn't released a proper music video yet. That will be a good tool to get the song reintroduced in the fall as well as her tour resuming. The whole world has shifted and reacted to this pandemic, so I honestly don't think it'll end up being as much of a buzz kill for this film as initially speculated. All arts and media are in the same boat.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I just listened to it for the first time in quite a while. It's a very "dreamy" song... Quite eerie... The line: "we were a pair" and the horn from the Bond theme calls out to us, but it sounds so far away as if the Bond we knew has long since disappeared-- or perhaps this is the 007 we once knew is gone (considering he's been out of the service for five years)... I dunno.

I love the song.
  • I have to say, unfortunately the song does not hold up as well for me on repeat listens. Hopefully it works really well with the titles, but on its own it's underwhelming. Still love the live Brits performance and the lyrics are some of the finest and most mature in the pantheon.
  • Billie Eilish's song is the main title song for the movie and I'm sure it'll work just fine. However, the song could be reworked and rereleased come Fall as an end title song. NTTD is one of the very best Bond songs of the last 30 years.
    Billie Eilish's song is the main title song for the movie and I'm sure it'll work just fine. However, the song could be reworked and rereleased come Fall as an end title song. NTTD is one of the very best Bond songs of the last 30 years.

Remember the main titles will be designed to work and sync with the song. They won't simply swap it for another song. Come November they will probably re-release Eilish's theme song. I also love the song and suspect it will be even more effective when we view it with the titles and after the long and, I'm betting, emotionally powerful pre-title scenes.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I think the Eilish song is fine if unremarkable, but seeing some comments on here regarding Radiohead's 'Man Of War' i gave that a listen, and wow! Sickening this wasn't used as a Bond song.

Their 'Spectre' song is also bloody good.

The songs and soundtrack Thom Yorke did for the Suspiria remake are amazing.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Contraband wrote: »

Very Stylish Pic....Looks like a Rock Band's Photoshoot. But in this case it's the BOND BAND....with Eilish as it's lead Singer. Looking forward to this song's Title Design & Music Video....am sure it's going to be something special....I wonder if that's Johnny Marr in Silhouette down the stairs or most likely the Photographer....Greg Williams perhaps.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I gave the Craig era songs a listen recently. From CR to NTTD. I have to say I don't think any of them are awful. AWTD is obviously not a classic but at least it has a bit of energy. The oomph slightly goes out of the songs from SF onwards.

For my money I'd actually say TWOTW is one of the better songs in the series. You may not like Smith's vocals but I think it's a good song.

NTTD is I feel the blandest of the lot. Maybe because it's a bit too safe. Having said that it's not offensive or anything. Just a bit forgettable.

What do you think of Radiohead’s Spectre? It’s really growing on me. I also like TWOTW.

I really like Spectre but their original submission Man of War is one of the greatest almost Bond songs.

I do like Man of War, but Spectre really fits the film for me. I love the crazy strings stuff: it just feels wonderfully sort of perverse and epic in a Bond way. I'd love a version of the film that had that on the titles!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    mtm wrote: »
    I gave the Craig era songs a listen recently. From CR to NTTD. I have to say I don't think any of them are awful. AWTD is obviously not a classic but at least it has a bit of energy. The oomph slightly goes out of the songs from SF onwards.

For my money I'd actually say TWOTW is one of the better songs in the series. You may not like Smith's vocals but I think it's a good song.

NTTD is I feel the blandest of the lot. Maybe because it's a bit too safe. Having said that it's not offensive or anything. Just a bit forgettable.

What do you think of Radiohead’s Spectre? It’s really growing on me. I also like TWOTW.

I really like Spectre but their original submission Man of War is one of the greatest almost Bond songs.

I do like Man of War, but Spectre really fits the film for me. I love the crazy strings stuff: it just feels wonderfully sort of perverse and epic in a Bond way. I'd love a version of the film that had that on the titles!

Agreed
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

• edited March 2020 Posts: 3,164
    I also posted it on the Fan Art thread, but put together an extended trailer featuring the song (and a couple of fan arrangements of it in addition to the original version)

• A rather long piece from New York magazine on the making of the song, likely planned to run as an extensive feature in the run-up to the movie:
    This is nothing new for Eilish, 18, and her older brother, Finneas, 22, who recorded her 2019 debut, When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?, in their parents’ Southern California home. The album netted billions of streams and almost as many Grammys and cemented Eilish as a generation-defining pop act. So when the duo tackled the particular cultural institution of the James Bond theme, they again sought intimate settings. The result is a big, big ballad. For all her outward signifiers of Gen-Z genre clash, Eilish proves herself to be a throwback powerhouse vocalist on the track.

She’ll need that power, too. Not long after the song came out, concerns about the coronavirus prompted the producers of No Time to Die to delay the film’s release until November. (It was originally set to open worldwide in April.) That means that Eilish’s track will be out there, by itself, for months, a theme song to a movie nobody can see just yet. [. . .]

As No Time to Die was still being shot, the duo met with Bond producer Barbara Broccoli after a show in Dublin. Broccoli had flown out specifically for the occasion; she was quickly charmed. They were given parts of the script and went about the business of creating a theme.

Finneas had originally tried to compose it on guitar, but, Eilish says diplomatically, “it … did not work. And we actually had pretty bad writer’s block.” Then Finneas ditched his guitar and located a piano in the green room of that anonymous Texas arena and played a little riff. “It’s the first thing you hear in the song,” Eilish says. “Immediately we were like, ‘Ohhhh.’ It just suddenly made sense. And then we wrote the rest.”

From there, it went off for approval to Zimmer in L.A., who had already been offered a small suite of options from several artists. “I’m not going to say who” the other acts were, Zimmer says, “but I am going to get myself into loads of trouble, and I don’t care: I couldn’t get past the intro” of the other tracks. But when he heard Eilish and Finneas’s offering, he knew it was the one: “That’s the vibe. That’s the everything. It’s a perfect movie song: In its quietness, somehow, you have a huge landscape in front of you.”
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    This is interesting.

• edited March 2020 Posts: 5,767
    Best version so far. Nonetheless, all these interpretations more than anything else seem to show how mediocre the source material ist.
    Today there play a couple of seconds in our Dutch soap, subtil.
    Possible somebody liked it or/and Universal ask them play song 6-8 weaks go when there filming it. It take only 4-5 weaks before it is on tv. Official over 16 days the movie have been released before the delay.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »

I wonder if that's Johnny Marr in Silhouette down the stairs or most likely the Photographer....Greg Williams perhaps.

Of course that can be only one.. Daniel Craig aka James Bond him self..

B-)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

"Man of War" was so good. Had that been an original piece instead of something originating from the OK Computer sessions I'm confident that would have been the title song for SP. I actually only listened to "Spectre" for the first time a few days ago and honestly felt it was underwhelming. Not sure I feel it's better or worse than "Writing's On the Wall (which I neither love or hate, it's pretty much just there).

It's too bad though, because Radiohead were Sam Mendes' personal choice. I'm not aware of any other Bond director getting a voice in what title artist is chosen.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I didn't love "Spectre" (Radiohead song, not film) immediately, took awhile to grow on me but I find that to be the case with a lot of songs I find weird. Now I really, really enjoy it.

EDIT: Actually, having said that, it sort of does apply to the film as well for me.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    antovolk wrote: »
    I also posted it on the Fan Art thread, but put together an extended trailer featuring the song (and a couple of fan arrangements of it in addition to the original version)

This is really great thanks for sharing. It makes me appreciate Billie's song a lot more
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Oh sure: I know clever people have fitted it on- but I want an actual copy of the film with that edited in! And with the nice fan version of the gunbarrel too :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,948
    This is interesting.

He is incredibly irritating, but it is interesting how close he gets. But then if he has the chord structure and lyrics I have no idea how hard that is.
    A rather long piece from New York magazine on the making of the song, likely planned to run as an extensive feature in the run-up to the movie:

From there, it went off for approval to Zimmer in L.A., who had already been offered a small suite of options from several artists. “I’m not going to say who” the other acts were, Zimmer says, “but I am going to get myself into loads of trouble, and I don’t care: I couldn’t get past the intro” of the other tracks. But when he heard Eilish and Finneas’s offering, he knew it was the one: “That’s the vibe. That’s the everything. It’s a perfect movie song: In its quietness, somehow, you have a huge landscape in front of you.”

Well now that's rather fascinating: that Zimmer had approval and was part of the process of actually choosing a song. Very interesting.
    This is interesting.

He is incredibly irritating, but it is interesting how close he gets. But then if he has the chord structure and lyrics I have no idea how hard that is.
    A rather long piece from New York magazine on the making of the song, likely planned to run as an extensive feature in the run-up to the movie:

Well now that's rather fascinating: that Zimmer had approval and was part of the process of actually choosing a song. Very interesting.

Such a terrific feature! I'm surprised in all the coronavirus chaos that a genuine great piece of Bond news is being missed here!

I guess that Ed Sheeran, Dua Lipa, Jorja Smith all submitted their songs. But they must have always wanted Billie.

We know already that Fukunaga had his mind set on her performing the song from the outset.

Also, the New Yorker article has some great photos:

16-billie-1.w1100.h733.jpg

13-billie-2.w570.h712.jpg

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    No matter how bad a Bond song is, if it's featured in the score it still works.....am super-excited for Zimmer's score.
    In 5th and possible last weak Dutch Top 40 the song go from 21 to 32th place. Now it not only be 16 days after the delay, it is also 8 days after (12 March) the pres anouchment of the virus.

In episode of a quize (recorderd longer then a month a go) there was quistion about another virus with weird enough a litle note about Corona virus as and intro and there was quistion about and Billie Eilish was the anser and with intro that she did title song for the new Bond movie.

Of course every music track with Die, Death, Kill in title wil now very heavy now to lissen to.
  • ObannoObanno Somewhere & Everywhere
    I love the song. Zimmer describes it perfectly. Its a perfect song to easily weave into the score and it's landscape is very broad. Its a minimalist Bond theme with the potential to go in so many different directions (look at the amount and variety of covers we have) that if it blends in with an awesome Bond movie it will automatically enhance the experience.

I trust Zimmer. Plus i remember the lukewarm reaction to YKMN, its only now that its considered a solid entry into the Bond canon because it blended well and enhanced the experience!
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

I think I prefer this to Sam Smith's Writing's on the Wall. I'm one of the rare people who like WOTW, but I must say that Radiohead's 'Spectre' is pretty awesome. It's better than Man of War, IMO.
    Reading through this thread i have 3 comments:

1. is that a hanged man necklace Billie is wearing in the picture posted by @pierce2daniel?? Does anyone else notice that? Any chance it foreshadows what might be coming up in No Time to Die? I already had a theory about this, that Bond is on the verge of jkilling himself at the start of the movie, but M sends him a message on Whatsapp which Bond which reads which is saying "This is No Time to die, Bond.". This stops Bond from killing himself as he feels duty to, complete his new mission.
    2. The song is a hot mess, no insporation at all BUT... and this leads me on to number 3...
    3. i expect will Hans Zimmer weave the theme song into the score.