NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Eilish is now the first Bond Artist whose track was released way,way,way too early before the film's release. Unintentionally of course....wonder how she feels about the news though.

She might no longer be the youngest Bond singer by the time it comes out! :D
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »
    Eilish is now the first Bond Artist whose track was released way,way,way too early before the film's release. Unintentionally of course....wonder how she feels about the news though.

She might no longer be the youngest Bond singer by the time it comes out! :D

:) Really? we hope not.
  • Could the way forward be for the creative team behind the No Time To Die song rework with a new arrangement and tempo, may be slightly different lyrics and release it in October and maybe use it over the closing titles

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Could the way forward be for the creative team behind the No Time To Die song rework with a new arrangement and tempo, may be slightly different lyrics and release it in October and maybe use it over the closing titles

Like the disco Moonraker? :D Who wouldn't be up for that? :D
    This is not bashing, but also a possibility: In 7-8 months, there could very well be a Billie Eilish backlash. It's how things work in entertainment, getting huge and then people move on to the next big thing or plain get tired of you. Again, just a possibility, not a definite.

It's really kind of sad that Eilish just came off a great awards season that really boosted her profile, the timing was perfect to release the song and the attention was invaluable. Who knows, it could also be a chance to rediscover the tune when the film comes out.

Now they have time to record a new theme song. This one, didn't do anything for me. Unmemorable and bland at best.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 5,767
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Now they have time to record a new theme song. This one, didn't do anything for me. Unmemorable and bland at best.
    I´m all with you there. It wouldn´t even be a big problem to fit a new song with Kleinman´s title sequence. A number of alternative song suggestions in the past have shown that even unedited there were songs that worked just fine with certain title sequences. And a song can also be written according to the dynamic of the accompanying visual content. They could even tell the composer to use the same scale. If Zimmer and Co. are going to use renditions of the song throughout the score, that would of course be a pin in the side. But on the other hand, they are a conglomerate of music providers known for time efficiency, so let them prove their value by recalibrating the score accordingly ;-).

boldfinger wrote: »
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I´m all with you there. It wouldn´t even be a big problem to fit a new song with Kleinman´s title sequence. A number of alternative song suggestions in the past have shown that even unedited there were songs that worked just fine with certain title sequences. And a song can also be written according to the dynamic of the accompanying visual content. They could even tell the composer to use the same scale. If Zimmer and Co. are going to use renditions of the song throughout the score, that would of course be a pin in the side. But on the other hand, they are a conglomerate of music providers known for time efficiency, so let them prove their value by recalibrating the score accordingly ;-).

We have this, almost Sheryl Crow / K. D. Lang Situation.

I don't mind this song playing, when I'm leaving the theater. I just want more energetic song to accompany, thw movie we've let to believe, will be Craig's last.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Somehow I doubt the first instinct on the part of EON is going to be using the extra time to record a new song because some fans on the Internet don't like it.
    I won't rule out Eilish doing another song, or another artist doing another song, or Eilish's track getting a revamp. Whichever way it turns out, the title song will at least be discussed....coz Eon have never found themselves in this situation before, releasing a song....with the film still months away. it obviously wasn't done on purpose. More reason the situation of the title song will become interesting in the coming months....coz it's the only full thing released from NTTD.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I like this song, honestly. I am fine when it will open the movie in November (and it will).

But did you already hear that version of it in Chris Cornell style on YouTube? If not I‘ll post a link but I am sure it was posted before. So I also agree that something more energetic would‘ve been ideal to bookend Daniel Craig‘s final Bond film.
    Billie performing the song live on tour for the first time
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Her fanbase accepts and loves the song and will keep talking about it. I hope this momentum will somewhat last until November. I really like the song and I am far away of her fanbases‘ age range (I am 45 yrs. old).
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Funny thing is, I've still not listened to the song, so I don't even know what it sounds like....am still trying to avoid it until the film comes out. So I can like it with Daniel Kleinman's Visuals. Am just speaking generally, since majority of the public have already heard the song & the film is still months away. Just wondering how fresh the song would be in November for those who have already listened to it.
    Ryan wrote: »
    Somehow I doubt the first instinct on the part of EON is going to be using the extra time to record a new song because some fans on the Internet don't like it.
    Yeah, I doubt it too. But one can dream ;-).

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Funny thing is, I've still not listened to the song, so I don't even know what it sounds like....am still trying to avoid it until the film comes out. So I can like it with Daniel Kleinman's Visuals. Am just speaking generally, since majority of the public have already heard the song & the film is still months away. Just wondering how fresh the song would be in November for those who have already listened to it.

You and I both. I hope it's good but I'm not terribly optimistic at this point.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It´s entirely up to personal taste, that much is out of the question :-)).
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yeah, me too...not super-pumped, but am hoping it's a good song that is very much likely to reach lofty heights with Kleinman's Visuals.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 11,425
    I gave the Craig era songs a listen recently. From CR to NTTD. I have to say I don't think any of them are awful. AWTD is obviously not a classic but at least it has a bit of energy. The oomph slightly goes out of the songs from SF onwards.

For my money I'd actually say TWOTW is one of the better songs in the series. You may not like Smith's vocals but I think it's a good song.

NTTD is I feel the blandest of the lot. Maybe because it's a bit too safe. Having said that it's not offensive or anything. Just a bit forgettable.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Getafix wrote: »
    I gave the Craig era songs a listen recently. From CR to NTTD. I have to say I don't think any of them are awful. AWTD is obviously not a classic but at least it has a bit of energy. The oomph slightly goes out of the songs from SF onwards.

For my money I'd actually say TWOTW is one of the better songs in the series. You may not like Smith's vocals but I think it's a good song.

NTTD is I feel the blandest of the lot. Maybe because it's a bit too safe. Having said that it's not offensive or anything. Just a bit forgettable.

You know I heard TWOTW for the first time in awhile the other day and I do really like the instrumental, it does feel very Bondian. I just find the lyrics and the vocals not to my taste
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

What do you think of Radiohead’s Spectre? It’s really growing on me. I also like TWOTW.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Sometimes I forget Dua Lipa was once a rumoured name for the title song. Eilish's emergence was really rapid.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,043

What do you think of Radiohead’s Spectre? It’s really growing on me. I also like TWOTW.

I really like Spectre but their original submission Man of War is one of the greatest almost Bond songs.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Shardlake wrote: »

I really like Spectre but their original submission Man of War is one of the greatest almost Bond songs.

Listening now! Always adding these songs to my 007 playlist on Spotify.

I think I prefer Spectre; has a weirder sound which I like, especially with the orechestration.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote: »

Listening now! Always adding these songs to my 007 playlist on Spotify.

I think I prefer Spectre; has a weirder sound which I like, especially with the orechestration.

For me MOW sounds like Radiohead but also has the vibe of a Bond tune, I'm a massive RH fan and I just think that song is perfect.

I like Spectre a lot and maybe it fits that existing film better but as a Bond tune Man of War has its cake and eats it.

Very worth a listen! Would be cool if the film featured an instrumental like this.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Guys, the corona crisis does get bigger and bigger from day to day, and some people, can only think, that this delay could lead to get a new song instead of the Billie Eilish song they loath. And complaining about the delay is also a rather odd thing to do.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    This week I realized that I have not listened to Billie Eilish's NTTD for a while now. To my surprise I must say: I have not yet felt an urge to listen to it again.

It is not bad, on the contrary, the lyrics are probably the best we had in a long time, but musically it does not do much for me in the long run.

By the way, I find the speculations about another song pointless. This one is the main title song, its melody will be woven into the score (hopefully) and any new song will only play second fiddle.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    A proper music video from Eilish will suffice .
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Speaking of Eilish, rest of her tour has now been postponed.