NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Burgess wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I do wonder how Eon is going to restart the marketing for this film 7 months after all this hype? I'd welcome a new trailer, maybe some new stills, etc. Perhaps the current trailer and clips will be pulled for awhile and simply brought back before the release? Nah, that wouldn't work.

Was discussing this earlier with some folks on Twitter. Seems like best course of action is basically radio silence and then restart in the summer, maybe attach new launch trailers with Wonder Woman and Tenet (maybe an IMAX prologue with the latter). Will they finally do Comic Con? How new will the trailers and posters be? This is all uncharted territory for a blockbuster of this scale...

I get your point……

But NTTD was actually the least heavily-marketed Craig-era film up to this point.

We basically had one trailer (released very late) and a few TV spots. The posters were lacklustre and unremarkable. The only genie they can’t put back into the bottle is the song. But there are ways to keep the hype alive in that department. (basically turn it into a Oscar campaign in November)

It’s not that bad a situation…..the smart thing to do would be to put the campaign on pause. Then re-start with Wonder Woman and Tenet.

They will have to change the emphasis of the marketing campaign and come up with a new slant. But it’s far from being unsalvageable.

I may be wrong headed about this but a high profile delay may even play into the movie’s overall mystique. Also, NTTD has a level of year-long marketing/awareness that most films never get. If the Olympics continue as planned, the. NTTD will have aired spots in the Super Bowl and the Olympics.

Also, if the spread of COVID-19 gets worse then EON will look absolutely brilliant for having the balls and conscious to move the movie.

Omega is also an official sponsor of the Olympics, so they could take advantage of that.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I just hope they don’t scrap the film. Can’t see it happening, but then again nothing would shock me anymore.

Define for us what you mean by “scrapping” the film. The movie has already been made. The film was set for release but had to move the date because of a worldwide virus that’s forcing countries to halt industry at all levels.
    So, I’m curious what scrapping means to you under these conditions.
    Right? I don’t understand these sorts of random hysterics either. How does it even make sense to scrap a finished product? Because we can’t release the film on time we’ll just scrap the whole thing and pretend it never happened? Even though the film has already been made and millions of dollars spent on it? What kind of rational decision would that be? That’s just instant financial and creative suicide right there. Who would ever go for such a thing? Even if the film was to lose major revenue they would still try to squeeze every penny out of it, even if it turned out to be a financial flop. To not release it at all means they wouldn’t make a single penny out of it. Major loss, major catastrophe. How would that make sense? That’s why I don’t understand people who keep bringing up this whole “scrapping” business. You don’t scrap something that’s finished and that you poured millions of dollars into. SPECTRE’s entire script was leaked. Did they scrap the film? Of course not!
    The UK has just moved into stage 2....which means we are on the verge of shutting down here as well. Probably will see other films now go under:

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861
    antovolk wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I do wonder how Eon is going to restart the marketing for this film 7 months after all this hype? I'd welcome a new trailer, maybe some new stills, etc. Perhaps the current trailer and clips will be pulled for awhile and simply brought back before the release? Nah, that wouldn't work.

This is all uncharted territory for a blockbuster of this scale...

Yeah from a marketing point of view I find it rather fascinating: I'll be very interested to see how they do it.
    Certainly 'delayed Bond film finally coming out' will be a big editorial angle they'll be able to play.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The UK has just moved into stage 2....which means we are on the verge of shutting down here as well. Probably will see other films now go under:

I wonder if the 5 News update that said that anyone who is going to catch the virus will catch it "in the next four weeks" is accurate.

First UK death confirmed.

Here, where I am, we're still lingering around the dozen cases confirmed mark.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    The trailers of course, still have the old release dates...even the posters, wonder if they'll make new posters or simply change the dates. All in all, I think little changes might occur....one has to wonder if they might be tempted to do additional scenes. Maybe giving De Armas more scenes or something. Although, I don't know how likely that is. I think Zimmer and his team & Kleinman are the only ones with the luxury of doing anything additional.
  • Maybe they can start filming B26 a bit quicker!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Benny wrote: »
    47pvd0ldbnza.gif

tumblr_orechbjY3t1rfd7lko1_500.gif
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    MartinBond wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Love that car stunt dodge on the bridge: very nice.

Original, right? Really liked it as well. Poor Maserati.

Glad I'm not the only one, my feelings of joy when I saw the baddies using Quattroporte's and Lancia Thesis' was quickly gone when I remembered how the bad buy cars usually end up. Same with the Alfa 159 in QoS.

This feels very much in keeping with more classic Bond films where the villains always used to drive Italian cars. I really appreciate that touch! You can tell it's a movie because they don't break down before the chase.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    Octopussy wrote: »
    (...) You can tell it's a movie because they don't break down before the chase.

Haha! Just like I joked to friends, "having the bad guys chase a hand-built British car from the 60's in Italian cars from the early-late 90's at least evens the odds of them making it through the chase without some form of breakdown."
    TV spot was played after Craig’s SNL opening. It had the release as Thanksgiving.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I heard it as "It'll be the death of Q."
    7d796d6f89e0232cb5f4a0699218f6fb--the-riddler-ben-whishaw.jpg

LOL
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    That's a bit close to home.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    TV spot was played after Craig’s SNL opening. It had the release as Thanksgiving.

Any new footage?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126

Yeah no new footage just said Thanksgiving not April
    Contraband wrote: »

Oh my goodness that was great! First thing to genuinely cheer me up since the delay ;)
  • J_Bryce777J_Bryce777 San Francisco
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    @antovolk Reminder: Nokia ad out today w Lashana

Still no sign of it
  • I will be amazed if we don't a flood of pirate copies of the film between now and November
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Contraband wrote: »

Heh! That’s good fun: he really goes for it! :)

Funny they’re still running them: I guess that’s the last one for a while!
    The thanksgiving version :
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Really? I still hear "It'll be the death of M."
    Wonder if they may end up dropping that rumoured new trailer tomorrow after all.. really think it's worth having something on the top of YouTube etc with the Thanksgiving date on it instead of April
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Really? I still hear "It'll be the death of M."

Haha! These make much more sense! :)
    Wew. I hope very much they don't try this hard to be funny in the film.
    SNL is in typical and natural form, terribly unfunny.