NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    ertert wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    They can’t keep a tight lid on this film for eight more months. Significant leaks or even the whole movie will leak even a crappy pirated version.

It could be Spectre all over again and it’ll take a hit at the box office when it does release who knows.

Their constant delays came back to bite them

should they totally scrap the film and start over?

Absolutely zero chance of that. They have hundreds of millions $ invested into this and it's surely very nearly a finished project.

I'd imagine it is 100% finished at this stage, we are only a month away from its previous release date and nothing suggests that this delay is anything to do with the film itself. The suggestion of it being scrapped it is absolutely delusional.

im just throwing anything out there at this point. you don't have to be snippy.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 2,594
    https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/no-time-to-die-release-postponed-200304

Great news! A delayed release won’t make a difference. More marketing will kick in closer to the time. Due to this, they should bring out a longer trailer with some new footage.

Scrapped? Crazy sentiment.

I’ve always liked having new Bond films released during the build up to Christmas too as it adds to the excitement of the festive season.

I also like how it will be released now after Top Gun 2. Unless of course, the guns delay too. :)

If corona is still going on in November then this will be a major cause for concern.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    They can’t keep a tight lid on this film for eight more months. Significant leaks or even the whole movie will leak even a crappy pirated version.

It could be Spectre all over again and it’ll take a hit at the box office when it does release who knows.

Absolutely zero chance of that. They have hundreds of millions $ invested into this and it's surely very nearly a finished project.

I'd imagine it is 100% finished at this stage, we are only a month away from its previous release date and nothing suggests that this delay is anything to do with the film itself. The suggestion of it being scrapped it is absolutely delusional.

This is true. I certainly don't.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,518
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The delay is a horrible move in every way. They don’t know how the virus will be in November, the film has already suffered several setbacks, the marketing run-up has now been all wasted, and getting people to be excited again months later after already showing so much will be near-impossible. Even in the off-chance this is the last delay (who knows what year it will ever release if ever), it probably won’t gross as much anyway as the last two thanks to the hype killing.

If they released it now, it would make no money, regardless of how bad everyone here wants it in April.

All the movie theatres in China are shut.

This is true. I certainly don't.

Made me laugh :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    47pvd0ldbnza.gif
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just wonder if they'll cut a new batch of trailers nearer the new release date: how do you make it feel fresh and exciting when your audience saw the trailer nearly a year ago?
    quote="mtm;c-1087696"]I just wonder if they'll cut a new batch of trailers nearer the new release date: how do you make it feel fresh and exciting when your audience saw the trailer nearly a year ago?[/quote]

I'll be shocked if not
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,247
    mtm wrote: »
    I just wonder if they'll cut a new batch of trailers nearer the new release date: how do you make it feel fresh and exciting when your audience saw the trailer nearly a year ago?

I feel Eon have to shoot something of a commercial trailer where Craig does a very short monologue....maybe something of 50secs. Then quick flashes of older scenes we've seen before can creep in. With the monologue being the new thing. Just like what other Bonds usually do in some of their trailers. Like in TND's teaser, Brosnan suddenly appears in the Camera holding his PPK and says 'Bond'....You know the rest'.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

I feel Eon have to shoot something of a commercial trailer where Craig does a very short monologue....maybe something of 50secs. Then quick flashes of older scenes we've seen before can creep in. With the monologue being the new thing. Just like what other Bonds usually do in some of their trailers. Like in TND's teaser, Brosnan suddenly appears in the Camera holding his PPK and says 'Bond'....You know the rest'.

That style of trailer isn't in fashion anymore...
    antovolk wrote: »

Yeah, I know....but can't think of any other way without revealing more. Even if Craig doesn't utter a word....it could be done like a commercial, he can just pose in a tux in different shots. With close-ups of his eyes, PPK, Cufflinks or even his V8 beside him, while they flash scenes from the older trailers.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It'd be very cool to get a "legacy" trailer of some sort, akin to...

Or a featurette focusing on Craig, like this...

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

The title reveal for this film had something not a million miles away.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2020 Posts: 10,512

And I bet you’re walking around with a boner.

The title reveal for this film had something not a million miles away.

Exactly...something like that. Speechless but intent Bond.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I just hope they don’t scrap the film. Can’t see it happening, but then again nothing would shock me anymore.
  • RC7RC7
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I just hope they don’t scrap the film. Can’t see it happening, but then again nothing would shock me anymore.

Why the hysteria?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    tenor.gif
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The delay is a horrible move in every way. They don’t know how the virus will be in November, the film has already suffered several setbacks, the marketing run-up has now been all wasted, and getting people to be excited again months later after already showing so much will be near-impossible. Even in the off-chance this is the last delay (who knows what year it will ever release if ever), it probably won’t gross as much anyway as the last two thanks to the hype killing.

No one knows what the world will be like in 7 months but we do know that nearly 40% (or more) of NTTD’s revenue would have been gone in 30 days. The South East Asian film market is completely closed. With rates of infection rising in Germany and France, NTTD would have had its legs cut off at the box if those countries close their theaters. To put it another way, there may be no B26 if B25 doesn’t perform. NTTD doesn’t have to make a billion to be a financial success but it certainly can’t afford to make $200-300 million less than SPECTRE.

Also, it’s way too early for anyone to asses whether this delay will negatively affect the box office. We’re in uncharted territory. The resulting press over the delay could add to the film’s mystique. NTTD is already one of the most talked about films of 2020 and it will stay that way for the next 7 months. As for piracy, WW84 finished production in 2018 and won’t be released until June 2020. So, piracy is possible but is it any more likely because of the delay? Maybe not.

Fans have gotten complacent in assuming that the next Bond film will just get made because that’s the way its been for sixty years. Do you actually think this is something they wanted to do? We may not feel it now but supply chains across all businesses and products will be affected throughout the year.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=sAooT_1583234498

DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Define for us what you mean by “scrapping” the film. The movie has already been made. The film was set for release but had to move the date because of a worldwide virus that’s forcing countries to halt industry at all levels.
    So, I’m curious what scrapping means to you under these conditions.

QBranch wrote: »
    tenor.gif

My exact mood.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm really torn over this having seen the trailer 3 or 4 times, I don't really want to see any more of this film until it's out but goodness me another 7 month wait is ridiculous.

I'm really struggling to see how they'll get the hype train back on track for this film. I mean sure it's a Bond movie and people will see it regardless, but this is beyond a disaster at this point. Do you postpone promotion of the film? Do you pay those involved extra to be available in October/November to promote it?

I can't believe how quickly all the excitement for this film has left my body, you'd think it were some sort of virus or something
    I do wonder how Eon is going to restart the marketing for this film 7 months after all this hype? I'd welcome a new trailer, maybe some new stills, etc. Perhaps the current trailer and clips will be pulled for awhile and simply brought back before the release? Nah, that wouldn't work.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,834
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I do wonder how Eon is going to restart the marketing for this film 7 months after all this hype? I'd welcome a new trailer, maybe some new stills, etc. Perhaps the current trailer and clips will be pulled for awhile and simply brought back before the release? Nah, that wouldn't work.
    I just said this over on the production page @ToTheRight: My advice would be to just edit new ones out of the footage we've seen with some new clips. I think to reveal any more would be a mistake, and could just lead to most of the film being in the trailers.

Was discussing this earlier with some folks on Twitter. Seems like best course of action is basically radio silence and then restart in the summer, maybe attach new launch trailers with Wonder Woman and Tenet (maybe an IMAX prologue with the latter). Will they finally do Comic Con? How new will the trailers and posters be? This is all uncharted territory for a blockbuster of this scale...
  • My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

All my hype is just gone. Like that *snaps*. It's like having theatrical blueballs.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

All my hype is just gone. Like that *snaps*. It's like having theatrical blueballs.

Hahaha what a comment. That should be the tag line to the film

A cure to your theatrical blueballs, No Time To Die

Was discussing this earlier with some folks on Twitter. Seems like best course of action is basically radio silence and then restart in the summer, maybe attach new launch trailers with Wonder Woman and Tenet (maybe an IMAX prologue with the latter). Will they finally do Comic Con? How new will the trailers and posters be? This is all uncharted territory for a blockbuster of this scale...

I get your point……

But NTTD was actually the least heavily-marketed Craig-era film up to this point.

We basically had one trailer (released very late) and a few TV spots. The posters were lacklustre and unremarkable. The only genie they can’t put back into the bottle is the song. But there are ways to keep the hype alive in that department. (basically turn it into a Oscar campaign in November)

It’s not that bad a situation…..the smart thing to do would be to put the campaign on pause. Then re-start with Wonder Woman and Tenet.

They will have to change the emphasis of the marketing campaign and come up with a new slant. But it’s far from being unsalvageable.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Also in eight months time this current marketing campaign will be a distant memory :)
    I’m not going to watch any more footage of NTTD when we get closer to November. No, I mean it! :)
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 309

I get your point……

But NTTD was actually the least heavily-marketed Craig-era film up to this point.

We basically had one trailer (released very late) and a few TV spots. The posters were lacklustre and unremarkable. The only genie they can’t put back into the bottle is the song. But there are ways to keep the hype alive in that department. (basically turn it into a Oscar campaign in November)

It’s not that bad a situation…..the smart thing to do would be to put the campaign on pause. Then re-start with Wonder Woman and Tenet.

They will have to change the emphasis of the marketing campaign and come up with a new slant. But it’s far from being unsalvageable.

I may be wrong headed about this but a high profile delay may even play into the movie’s overall mystique. Also, NTTD has a level of year-long marketing/awareness that most films never get. If the Olympics continue as planned, the. NTTD will have aired spots in the Super Bowl and the Olympics.

Also, if the spread of COVID-19 gets worse then EON will look absolutely brilliant for having the balls and conscious to move the movie.