NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It'll set a precedent as well; if they don't do one for Rog they can't really do one for any other actors at any point in the future.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    John Barry's house was used in SF. I guess that could count as a dedication.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    It's odd, but Eon didn't pay tribute to John Barry in Skyfall....I wasn't too happy about that though.

There are only two instances where the films did a dedication. Derek Meddings got one because he actually worked on GE. Even though Cubby had no involvement with TND, it was produced by his children so of course they would have a dedication for him.

Otherwise, EON doesn't typically do dedications. Terence Young. Richard Maibaum. Maurice Binder. John Barry. Harry Saltzman. Nothing. Zero.

The only thing that sets Moore apart is that actually played James Bond, so if anyone were to ever get any acknowledgement after passing it's him. If he doesn't get one, then we can pretty much expect to never see a dedication for any of the other Bonds or just about anyone else. Maybe Michael G. Wilson, since his sister and son would want that.

Yeah, all true....we can only hope Moore gets though, since he was the third face of the franchise.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's odd, but Eon didn't pay tribute to John Barry in Skyfall....I wasn't too happy about that though.

There are only two instances where the films did a dedication. Derek Meddings got one because he actually worked on GE. Even though Cubby had no involvement with TND, it was produced by his children so of course they would have a dedication for him.

Otherwise, EON doesn't typically do dedications. Terence Young. Richard Maibaum. Maurice Binder. John Barry. Harry Saltzman. Nothing. Zero.

The only thing that sets Moore apart is that actually played James Bond, so if anyone were to ever get any acknowledgement after passing it's him. If he doesn't get one, then we can pretty much expect to never see a dedication for any of the other Bonds or just about anyone else. Maybe Michael G. Wilson, since his sister and son would want that.

Yeah I think there have to be just a few exceptions as you mention. Otherwise the films become a sort of graveyard rather than pieces of entertainment!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »

Yeah I think there have to be just a few exceptions as you mention. Otherwise the films become a sort of graveyard rather than pieces of entertainment!

Yeah, true....so the End credits song doesn't turn to a Dirge...maybe. Although, I felt with the Bond theme playing at the end of SF, it was an opportunity to launch Barry's Name boldly on the screen, immediately after the Gunbarrel....since the Bond theme like 'Surrender' is an upbeat tune....but true, it does have it's disadvantages as well.
    I could see a small montage of his performances as Bond with Nobody Does It Better overtop at the end of all the credits as @mtm said, similar to where they put the stingers at the end of Marvel films.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,261
    A nod to Sir Rog might be nice, but above all, it is Craig's final Bond film, and I don't think they will do it. Same to YKMN. And as of now, I did not hear, that they will have a separate song for the end credits. Plus YKMN was co-written and co-produced by Arnold. NTTD's composer is Hans Zimmer. And NTTD is intended for an audience, which does not only consist of Bond-and/or-Flemins fans. Those people will wonder "What's all this about?" The only tribute we got, was for Cubby at the end of TND.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,518
    A nod to Sir Rog might be nice, but above all, it is Craig's final Bond film, and I don't think they will do it. Same to YKMN. And as of now, I did not hear, that they will have a separate song for the end credits. Plus YKMN was co-written and co-produced by Arnold. NTTD's composer is Hans Zimmer. And NTTD is intended for an audience, which does not only consist of Bond-and/or-Flemins fans. Those people will wonder "What's all this about?" The only tribute we got, was for Cubby at the end of TND.

Good points, especially about Arnold.

In that case, no song and no big tribute, but one for Roger the same style as what Cubby got.

I hate to be morbid, but I feel as though they're going to want to pay tribute to other actors in the future, so they can't leave Roger out.

EDIT: Also this is way off topic, haha, I thought this was the production thread! #TooManyNTTDThreads
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

In that case, no song and no big tribute, but one for Roger the same style as what Cubby got.

I hate to be morbid, but I feel as though they're going to want to pay tribute to other actors in the future, so they can't leave Roger out.

EDIT: Also this is way off topic, haha, I thought this was the production thread! #TooManyNTTDThreads

Sir Rog might get a mention, but probably only after the end credits. As MakeshiftPython correctly pointed out, that Meddings and Cubby got an in memorandum mention. Saltzman did not get one. None of the passed away directors were mentioned, not Terence Young, neither Guy Hamilton, Lewis Gilbert, or Peter Hunt. Richard Maibaum did not get one, as well, and he wrote 13 Bond movies. And if you actually start the whole thing once, you have to keep it going. Not only EON does it, other companies don't do it, and if so, like in TDK, Heath Ledger got a tribute, but he was the protagonist, TBH. Plus thy mentioned a stuntman who died during production.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,518

Sir Rog might get a mention, but probably only after the end credits. As MakeshiftPython correctly pointed out, that Meddings and Cubby got an in memorandum mention. Saltzman did not get one. None of the passed away directors were mentioned, not Terence Young, neither Guy Hamilton, Lewis Gilbert, or Peter Hunt. Richard Maibaum did not get one, as well, and he wrote 13 Bond movies. And if you actually start the whole thing once, you have to keep it going. Not only EON does it, other companies don't do it, and if so, like in TDK, Heath Ledger got a tribute, but he was the protagonist, TBH. Plus thy mentioned a stuntman who died during production.

Agree with the bold, as per my previous post. Yes, it's true many people who had a huge impact on the franchise did not receive tributes. Roger Moore was the protagonist of seven films in the franchise and was a huge, visible part of the franchise. Other films don't do it, but not all films are part of a twenty five film legacy, and those that are, do (Stan Lee). Heath Ledger was not the protagonist of TDK.

Anyways as I mentioned this is off topic, so maybe we can take this discussion to the production thread?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,541
    I think EON acknowledge everyone who dies and pay their respects on bond's official Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or official 007.com ,so i am cool with that.
    Claudine Auger is the one we should expect for a tribute but i am not holding my breath.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 11,425
    I think a little nod like using John Barry's apartment in Skyfall is nicer in a way than something in the credits.

I would be very surprised if NTTD did not commemorate Sir Rog in some way.

Slightly different but it's great that Barry got his cameo in TLD. What a fitting way to sign off.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think a little nod like using John Barry's apartment in Skyfall is nicer in a way than something in the credits.

I would be very surprised if NTTD did not commemorate Sir Rog in some way.

Yeah that’s a good point; a nod to him in the film itself would be good.
    Maybe the title sequence will feature a Rog montage. Like OHMSS had a Sean montage
  • A donation from the gross to Unicef would probably be a more fitting tribute.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,311
    So what's happening with Billie Eilish's NTTD in the charts? I don't find her anywhere. Is the buzz already over?
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Yeah I don’t think I’m that keen on the idea. Although the “I will replace you” lyric would be amusingly appropriate considering Nomi’s role :)

Lol maybe they can just do the whole CR titles sequence again at the end, and at the end when the shadow walks out revealing Bond, it’s Nomi instead. :P

This is a spoiler free thread, some of us don't want to have the movie ruined.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    So what's happening with Billie Eilish's NTTD in the charts? I don't find her anywhere. Is the buzz already over?

It debuted (!) at 16 on the BIllboard Hot 100, where it currently sits. No small feat.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100
  • RyanRyan Canada
    QQ7 wrote: »
    Yeah I don’t think I’m that keen on the idea. Although the “I will replace you” lyric would be amusingly appropriate considering Nomi’s role :)

Lol maybe they can just do the whole CR titles sequence again at the end, and at the end when the shadow walks out revealing Bond, it’s Nomi instead. :P

This is a spoiler free thread, some of us don't want to have the movie ruined.

Making a joke about a well publicized rumour (something that there is even a thread title about) is spoiling the movie?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Looking at the top 15, really shows how out of touch I am with pop music today as I hardly know most of the names brought up.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Looking at the top 15, really shows how out of touch I am with pop music today as I hardly know most of the names brought up.

Justin Bieber is the only one I've ever heard of and I hate his music
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    The song has dropped from 4th to 10th in its second week on the ARIA Charts.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Second weak in Dutch top 40 charts the song go from the 24th place to 17th.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

It's seriously worn off for me too. I haven't listened to it in weeks.
    Octopussy wrote: »

Pretty forgettable if I'm perfectly honest. Bit like TWOTW.
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    edited March 2020 Posts: 98
    Getafix wrote: »
    Octopussy wrote: »

Pretty forgettable if I'm perfectly honest. Bit like TWOTW.

Sam Smith's song is so bland to me that I sometimes struggles to remember what 'TWOTW' means when reading those letters. Here it takes me 10sec :D
    edited March 2020 Posts: 98
    "No Time To Die in the Style of Chris Cornell" (Ten Second Songs)

Is it good ?
    (I still haven't listened to NTTD)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Interesting: are you saving it for watching the film?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    "No Time To Die in the Style of Chris Cornell" (Ten Second Songs)

Is it good ?

No, that was pretty boring. The original is much better.

Interesting: are you saving it for watching the film?
    Yes, precisely. I've read here that I'm not the only one.
    I'd like to get the same feeling when discovering old Bond movies and the songs together (for the lesser know ones of course)
    I've tried to do that with Skyfall, a big failure :D (and don't even care to try with Sam Smith...)
    Here it's different : I like Billie Eilish's work, could be a memorable moment
    (..if the theaters aren't closed in april... situtation in France is worse and worse : Le Louvre closed since 3 days, concerts cancelled etc)