NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

For those curious... separated vocals/instrumental stems from Billie's song are out there on Twitter...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    antovolk wrote: »
    For those curious... separated vocals/instrumental stems from Billie's song are out there on Twitter...

It's a great instrumental.
    'Where's Wallace?! Where's Wallace?!"

The Wire is my second favourite show of all time (after The Sopranos)
    And it stars everyone else's favourite James Bond - Idris Elba.
    So Elba could play Old Man Bond, and Jordan his younger self in the flashbacks.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,437
    Her song enter the 24th place in Top 40 last Friday. Stil i haven't heard the song yet on Dutch Radio and on tv only couple of seconds in Dutch news program. Adele get offcial cdsingle to buy on 05 October 2012, whyle on this moment Billie song is based on radio views and downloads. Billie get more time with her song and possible there not going to be a cdsingle, last weak it be confirmd the song will be on the soundtrack. But on 27 March, mabey a bit earlier we know more or there will be no cdsingle and or it realy going to be on soundtrack.

Adele starts on 19 in the weak of 13 October 2012 and that was only 3 weaks before the release and 8 days after single was released.. She stay in the list for 20th weaks, but then Top 40 was stil part of more fames radio channel.

No Time To Die is her 5th single in Top 40 with Everything I Wanted stay 12 weaks in it, with 7th place as maximum, Bad Guy 16 weaks/9th place.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    boldfinger wrote: »

WastefulImpoliteConure-size_restricted.gif
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

WastefulImpoliteConure-size_restricted.gif

I don't know why this gif is relevant but I love it so much :P
    Shardlake wrote: »
    He'll always be little Wallace to me, heartbreaking episode of the greatest TV show of all time.

He's a fantastic actor but Bond no thank you.

BE's is your typical 18 year old, I'll cut her some slack, like a lot of people she has no idea what kind of actor would make a good Bond.

When I was 18, my choice for Bond was for Timothy Dalton to continue.
    Oh well.

Michael B Jordan is indeed an excellent actor. However, there are countless excellent actors in the world, who I would NOT consider right for Bond. Robert De Niro for instance.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    there are countless excellent actors in the world, who I would NOT consider right for Bond. Robert De Niro for instance.

AnchoredNaturalHectorsdolphin-size_restricted.gif
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I don't think that would be a good direction for the Bond films. These aren't the "Young James Bond Chronicles."

I'm not opposed to Elba or Jordan as supercool spies; I don't even mind the flashback thing if there's a good script. I'm sure a pretty nice spy flick series can be woven around that idea.

But then there's James Bond, which is something else. We all have good ideas from to time, but the desire to take them all to the Bond series is something I don't understand.
    @DarthDimi, you didn´t seriously believe that bold "there´s nothing worse than flashbacks" finger posted this as a serious suggestion, did ya? Otherwise I seriously have to find out how I can use these emoticon thingies.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DarthDimi, you didn´t seriously believe that bold "there´s nothing worse than flashbacks" finger posted this as a serious suggestion, did ya? Otherwise I seriously have to find out how I can use these emoticon thingies.

I'm so glad. :)
  • Late to the party I know but I quite liked it. Not one of the best but suitably dark and ominous sounding for what'll probably be a dark, emotional film (Bond's last mission etc).

The thing that bugs me is some of the lyrics don't feel that fitting, but it's nowhere near as bad as Smith's effort on that front. Wish there was more melody to it too, that's pretty much my only requirement with Bond songs, as long as there's a big melody they can be what they like. But to be fair it got better as it went on on that front, there's a few things they could weave throughout the score (the guitars in the build up to the chorus, or the strings that kick in straight after it) so I'm okay with it.

Overall it's hardly YKMN (still hoping we get that over the credits, full circle come on) but I think it's better than AWTD and WOTW.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Late to the party I know but I quite liked it. Not one of the best but suitably dark and ominous sounding for what'll probably be a dark, emotional film (Bond's last mission etc).

The thing that bugs me is some of the lyrics don't feel that fitting, but it's nowhere near as bad as Smith's effort on that front. Wish there was more melody to it too, that's pretty much my only requirement with Bond songs, as long as there's a big melody they can be what they like. But to be fair it got better as it went on on that front, there's a few things they could weave throughout the score (the guitars in the build up to the chorus, or the strings that kick in straight after it) so I'm okay with it.

Overall it's hardly YKMN (still hoping we get that over the credits, full circle come on) but I think it's better than AWTD and WOTW.

One of my big hopes for NTTD, that would be such a classy touch. As well as a small tribute to Sir Roger
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Late to the party I know but I quite liked it. Not one of the best but suitably dark and ominous sounding for what'll probably be a dark, emotional film (Bond's last mission etc).

Having YKMN over the closing credits? Great suggestion!

That song still gives me goosebumps!
    YKMN over the credits is a very interesting idea! Not sure I’d be a huge fan TBH. Little on the nose.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I don’t think I’m that keen on the idea. Although the “I will replace you” lyric would be amusingly appropriate considering Nomi’s role :)
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah I don’t think I’m that keen on the idea. Although the “I will replace you” lyric would be amusingly appropriate considering Nomi’s role :)

Lol maybe they can just do the whole CR titles sequence again at the end, and at the end when the shadow walks out revealing Bond, it’s Nomi instead. :P
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Lol maybe they can just do the whole CR titles sequence again at the end, and at the end when the shadow walks out revealing Bond, it’s Nomi instead. :P

Heh! ‘007 status confirmed’ :)
  • RyanRyan Canada
    They could mirror the end credits of Tomorrow Never Dies by starting with an "in memory of" for Sir Roger followed by You Know My Name as the credits song just as Surrender was the end song for the former.

Direct nod for Sir Roger, subtle nod to Cornell, and overall bringing the Craig era full circle.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Ryan wrote: »
    They could mirror the end credits of Tomorrow Never Dies by starting with an "in memory of" for Sir Roger followed by You Know My Name as the credits song just as Surrender was the end song for the former.

Direct nod for Sir Roger, subtle nod to Cornell, and overall bringing the Craig era full circle.

The difference is Surrender was never used anywhere else. I highly doubt YKMN is making another appearance.
    What would people think of there was a rendition of “Nobody Does It Better” with the memoriam, over the end credits? Might work, with the soft opening accompanying a photo of Roger, and then into the credits when the song picks up.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Ryan wrote: »

The difference is Surrender was never used anywhere else. I highly doubt YKMN is making another appearance.
    What would people think of there was a rendition of “Nobody Does It Better” with the memoriam, over the end credits? Might work, with the soft opening accompanying a photo of Roger, and then into the credits when the song picks up.
    True, but I meant more in structure for how the memorian for Cubby was followed by an upbeat song. In this case it would also serve as a subtle nod to Cornell's passing since I wouldn't expect them to mention it directly.

That said, Nobody Does It Better is a nice idea too. It's signature enough as a Bond song. I'll be happy enough if it's not the Bond theme for the end credits this time.
    Aaaah I see what you mean, and that would make sense. I can’t help but feel however it would be a bit out of place, but maybe not anymore than NBIB would be.
    We’ll see in April!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,930
    I’m not sure I’d expect a Sir Roger tribute to be honest: it’s been three years now. Maybe they will.
    I’m not sure I’d expect a Sir Roger tribute to be honest: it’s been three years now. Maybe they will.

Very true, but it’s the first release since. We’ll see.
    I would love to see a tribute for Roger! It has been 3 years, but I think it’d still be awesome.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,247
    It's odd, but Eon didn't pay tribute to John Barry in Skyfall....I wasn't too happy about that though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,930
    Fans always want these tribute things when someone passes away: the way I see it it’s for the family to get upset if there isn’t one; not me. I didn’t know these folk, and the longer the series goes on the more are going to pass: you can’t have ‘in memorium’ rolls at the end or you’ll make the films a lot less enjoyable. You’ve got to really limit it to producers and ex-Bonds, and even then don’t forget that neither Saltzman nor Ian Fleming himself got one and I’ve not seen anyone complain about that.
    Fans always want these tribute things when someone passes away: the way I see it it’s for the family to get upset if there isn’t one; not me. I didn’t know these folk, and the longer the series goes on the more are going to pass: you can’t have ‘in memorium’ rolls at the end or you’ll make the films a lot less enjoyable. You’ve got to really limit it to producers and ex-Bonds, and even then don’t forget that neither Fleming nor Saltzman got one and I’ve not seen anyone complain about that.

All very good points. Crazy that Fleming didn't get one, but maybe memoriums weren't a big thing back then.

Makes me really wonder what they'll do for Rog, if anything at all. And what the backlash might be like among Bond fans if they don't.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,021
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    It's odd, but Eon didn't pay tribute to John Barry in Skyfall....I wasn't too happy about that though.

There are only two instances where the films did a dedication. Derek Meddings got one because he actually worked on GE. Even though Cubby had no involvement with TND, it was produced by his children so of course they would have a dedication for him.

Otherwise, EON doesn't typically do dedications. Terence Young. Richard Maibaum. Maurice Binder. John Barry. Harry Saltzman. Nothing. Zero.

The only thing that sets Moore apart is that actually played James Bond, so if anyone were to ever get any acknowledgement after passing it's him. If he doesn't get one, then we can pretty much expect to never see a dedication for any of the other Bonds or just about anyone else. Maybe Michael G. Wilson, since his sister and son would want that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    My guess is there may well be one but it would be at the end of the credits rather than at the beginning of them as Cubby got. I might have it completely wrong though.