"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Congrats City, you did make it barely and only because United started giving up a few weeks ago. O:-)
    That man city game had an amazing finish.
    I thought were gonna blow it with a few minutes to go.
    Just like to say, what a season we have had this year !!!
    Some good results beating the likes of Arsenal, Mancity and now on the last game of the season - Liverpool.

We have stucked to our way of playing and have held our own.
    Gutted at the league position as only 1 goal stopped me winning £100 as betted top 10 finish this season.
    Would also like to say fair play to Rogue Agent and the Norwich team for doing so well this season also.

Would like to see Blackpool come back up instead of West Ham.

Here's to next season and european champions league spot

:-))
    Still got plenty of great football coming up with the UCL final and then the euro championship.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well done to Man City to win a thrilling premier league title. Love how some of the Man Utd fans were already celebrating thinking they'd won it.
    Now for the final match of the season, bring on Bayern Munich in the Champions league.
    Chelsea all the way.
    ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It has been an extraordinary season in the English Premiership. The rise of Spurs and Newcastle, the devastating end of season form of Wigan, the incredible run of Arsenal to finish third, Martin ONeill's return and his instant turnaround for Sunderland (as usual), Fabrice Muamba, the decline of Liverpool (and their need to forget all the missed penalties and rattled posts), Chelsea's progression to the CL final, the last day battle for survival (tough luck Bolton), the form and football on offer from 'whipping boys' Swansea and Norwich, some of the greatest goals (Crouchy! Cisse!) and of course the Premier League's most epic battle ever. The two Mancs took the title down to the 95th minute of the last game of the season.

Simply the best Premier League season in it's 20 year history. If you ask me that is
    Brilliant final day to the season! Glad the Norwich boys signed off with a win! Especially against the Villa as i get alot of grief off them here in the midlands! Just hope they don't poach our Manager?!!!

Been alot of sour grapes messages off them so now all i get is thanks for your manager! If he goes i will be shocked unless its to a much bigger team? As i cannot see them spending big like City to win the Premier League! If Lambert goes though? Good luck to him as he has worked wonders for us.

Once again congratulations to City!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2012 Posts: 9,117
    This is just a general warning to anyone travelling on the Jubilee line from Southwark to Canada Water at 7 o’clock this evening:

Don’t get in my way on the escalator or annoy me in any way in the slightest because I am just about ready to kick right off and smash someones face in.

I might not even get out of the office at all as the slightest provocation could make me go postal at any minute.

Mere words cant start to describe how much I am seething at having my summer ruined.

One word is enough to explain my fury: Downing.

Unbef*ckinglievable. Welcome to Woys brave new world.

And Kenny gone as well now. Liverpool obivously waiting for the England squad to be announced in an attempt to bury the story.
    Kenny gone. Total shock. Should have given him one more season. Martinez - what a joke.

Raffa I don't mind - he's got some money this time.

edited May 2012 Posts: 9,117
    Would take Rafa or Rogers, maybe Capello at a pinch - hated him at England but you cant argue with his record.

Seems remarkable that Downings pitiful season of no assists and no goals for a 20m outlay (and wages) has contributed to a large degree to Comolli and Kenny losing their jobs but Roy sees this as suitable form for an England call up.

I was all prepared to bury the hatchet with Roy and hope his respected record in different countries would bring better results for England than the jingoistic tubthumping Del Boy Redknapp would have brought but after this (and Henderson on the standby list FFS!) I hope we lose every game and the press hound him out by August. Its an absolute disgrace the way England shirts are handed out these days.

And I havent even started on odious JT and Jermaine 'flat track bully but when has he ever scored against a big team and has barely played since xmas anyway' Defoe being on the plane.

And wheres Micah Richards? Absolute joke.
    Sorry to hear King Kenny has gone again - Just remember it is all about money when these foreign owners take over. Thank god my little Swansea do not have one, we may not be able to compete with the big boys but I prefer it that way
    Have to say guys i thought Kenny would atleast get another season in charge. I have been getting alot of aggro off Villa fans about poaching Lambert off us?

Obviously i hope we keep him for another season but am resigned to losing him. Would be happier to see him go to Liverpool as he deserves a crack at a legendary club. It would also shut up some of my workmates too.
    Brendan Rogers turns down Liverpool!!

Bloke his having a laugh. Does he think Chelsea or Barca are going to come in for him?

Have a word with the likes of Paul Jewell and Danny Wilson to see how easy it is to go from the next big thing to a career in the lower leagues before you start telling clubs of our calibre where to go.

Bloke his having a laugh. Does he think Chelsea or Barca are going to come in for him?

Have a word with the likes of Paul Jewell and Danny Wilson to see how easy it is to go from the next big thing to a career in the lower leagues before you start telling clubs of our calibre where to go.

Nah Job is too big for him and he knows it. Bring back RAFA for five years- Champions league and top 4 finishes assured.
    Nah Job is too big for him and he knows it. Bring back RAFA for five years- Champions league and top 4 finishes assured.

Wouldnt say no to that. Would settle for Capello or AVB I guess. Martinez I dont know. Maybe too soon for him as well or maybe an inspired signing - bit of a gamble.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,506
    Have to say guys that allegedly AVB is a favourite for the job? Stunned Rogers turned it down if he was offered it?
    Just read this in the Telegraph:

'Liverpool are starting to resemble a man chasing a car down a road. Time only widens the gap between the runner and the vehicle speeding away.'

Pretty much sums up where we are. If someone asked you 'Which is more likely in the next 5 years winning the title or relegation?', could you hand on heart honestly answer the title?

Time to face the fact that we are now a mid table club and the occaisonal run in the cups and entry to the Europa league every other year is what we have to get used to. Lets be happy with that and just hope we dont do a Leeds or Forest.
    We won't do that - two Champions league finals only a couple a years ago, two finals this season. Nah there is something there. We need a soul in the boardroom, not in the states.

I hear Kenny was offered that but he turned it down. Shocking the way he was treated. He never wanted the job in the first place they came to him cap in hand and look what they do to him.

Rafa for me all the way. And then look to bring Cara underneath him.
    Just read this in the Telegraph:

'Liverpool are starting to resemble a man chasing a car down a road. Time only widens the gap between the runner and the vehicle speeding away.'

Pretty much sums up where we are. If someone asked you 'Which is more likely in the next 5 years winning the title or relegation?', could you hand on heart honestly answer the title?

Time to face the fact that we are now a mid table club and the occaisonal run in the cups and entry to the Europa league every other year is what we have to get used to. Lets be happy with that and just hope we dont do a Leeds or Forest.

I would happily accept that for my club! lol

He has turned down the job as he has started something at Swansea and thinks he can do better next season.
    He has a strong connection to the board, chairman, fans and players.
    The club may not have all the money but is run on a strict wage structure and the books balance.
    SO WHY WOULD HE WANT TO GO ???

Fair play to him, Swansea have beaten Liverpool this season and can do again.
    He is being loyal to a club that have helped him get back into a managerial position.

Yes Liverpool WERE a big club in the 80's and have a lovely ground, but when a club is run by people who do not live and breath football and have only bought it as a toy then you are welcome to it.

:-? :-? ^:)^
    Looks like it's Rafa - I hope to Shankly it is.

0,,10268~3689656,00.gif

You know the rest.
    Congratulations to both Chealsea and Bayerns fans, it was really a great match, however Czech and Drogba made the difference today.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    So what does everyone think about the new England squad? I'm glad Gerrard is captain, he deserves it, but there's one thing I'm disappointed about. 2 words. John Terry.
    0,,10268~3689656,00.gif

You were expecting someone else?

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Amazing game...spend the entire day drinking and watching the game. :D

xxx
    Benny wrote:
    0,,10268~3689656,00.gif

You know the rest.

oh no i've got a virus my screen has gone all funny.

Well done old Chelsea!!

Not a fan, but may pop up the old Kings road to wave at the boys!? :O
    Crazy game. And the first time a London team has come back with the trophy after several attempts. They deserve it aone for beating Barcelona and Bayern in their home grounds! Their victory certainly proves ball possession means nothing in football!