"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Have to say I'm underwhelmed but if you say the new bloke has to be English then hes one of the leading candidates.

I think he got a bit of unfair stick at Liverpool as Kennys getting away with worse results with barely a ripple. That said we played some awful stuff and signings like Konchesky and Poulsen were a joke (although at least they were cheap and hardly worse than Henderson and Stewart Downs syndrome). And anybody who admits to being friends with Fergie is on borrowed time at Anfield straight away.

Anything has to be better than Del Boy Redknapp though I suppose.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I would've preferred Redknap to Hodgson.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 278
    Redknapp is a money grabbing so & so!! He has always taken a cut in whatever deal he has done with players and loves money far to much!! Which in turn clouds his management style!! Hodgson is not that way.
    I dont believe Redknapp was ever on the FA's short list, due to his dodgy dealings over the years and what's more was only filling the back pages because he was who the papers wanted us believe should get the job?
    Roy Hodgson is a very well traveled and intelligent man who has a great footballing mind, and is far more gifted as a manager than his given credit! LFC treated him badly, they listen far to much to the fans, and didn't give him enough time and support to make the club great again!! Look at the club now, Kenny is hardly doing great, no Champions league again and the FA cup is going to Chelsea anyhow!??
    Hodgson will give England stability and in time flair, BUT... Certain players from certain clubs will have to go because they will not turn up for Roy, and that says more about them than it does about Hodgson and wanting to play for him and the shirt!! LFC and MU players in particular should of kept they fingers away from the tweet buttons, as now the man they all felt was a failure is in charge again!! Do these players want to play for England and Roy, no I dont believe they do, so therefore Roy has to be brave and cut loose all the old dead wood and start fresh and look at what the rest of Europe do, and clean sweep the England dressing room!! I feel Roy will do just that, and Good luck to him, he is the right man for the job right now along with Stuart Pearce in the future!. :-B
    MrEon wrote:
    BUT... Certain players from certain clubs will have to go because they will not turn up for Roy, and that says more about them than it does about Hodgson and wanting to play for him and the shirt!! LFC and MU players in particular should of kept they fingers away from the tweet buttons, as now the man they all felt was a failure is in charge again!! Do these players want to play for England and Roy, no I dont believe they do, so therefore Roy has to be brave and cut loose all the old dead wood and start fresh and look at what the rest of Europe do, and clean sweep the England dressing room!! I feel Roy will do just that, and Good luck to him, he is the right man for the job right now along with Stuart Pearce in the future!. :-B

Absolutely.

And first for the cull has to be JT. The FA have stated that he cant be captain (thats the reason we are in this mess in the first place) but hes unlikely to accept this just as he didnt in 2010. A thoroughly odious individual who thinks only about himself.
  • How Roy Hodgson is England manager is a disgrace. He ruined everything great Rafa built at Liverpool and was the worst manager in our history. the media and xenophobic's pick quite frankly. Should have gone in for Benitez or Guardiola imo
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 940
    MrEon wrote:
    Hodgson will give England stability and in time flair, BUT... Certain players from certain clubs will have to go because they will not turn up for Roy, and that says more about them than it does about Hodgson and wanting to play for him and the shirt!!

Yes, I agree with this. It's a concern I have though as I think Harry could have got the best out of many of these players, but not sure if Hodgson commands the same respect and bonding which Harry has managed to get from the bigger names.
    Should have gone in for Benitez or Guardiola imo

I would have hated to have Benetitez as England boss. After how the Capello saga ended, I think it was never in doubt that an Englishman would get the job. I have far more faith in Hodson than McClaren but I am quite surprised they didn't go for Harry. Still, the most important thing is to get behind him. He's a very intelligent bloke with a cv much longer than his spell at Liverpool where people never gave him a chance from day one.

• slyfox wrote:
    MrEon wrote:
    Hodgson will give England stability and in time flair, BUT... Certain players from certain clubs will have to go because they will not turn up for Roy, and that says more about them than it does about Hodgson and wanting to play for him and the shirt!!

Yes, I agree with this. It's a concern I have though as I think Harry could have got the best out of many of these players, but not sure if Hodgson commands the same respect and bonding which Harry has managed to get from the bigger names.
    Should have gone in for Benitez or Guardiola imo

I would have hated to have Benetitez as England boss. After how the Capello saga ended, I think it was never in doubt that an Englishman would get the job. I have far more faith in Hodson than McClaren but I am quite surprised they didn't go for Harry.

Benitez would have revolutionised the England team and the national set-up, specifically in the FA. You just need to see the football played in the Benitez years during his tenure to see what potential we could have had. Ofcourse, he wouldn't be picked. The FA would be too scared of a man of his calibre, the fans wouldn't accept a man who did so much to return an old power to former glory, the media would hate him and will him to failure. Shame, because that is who England need, a man with a vision, not just a passport in his vision.
    MrEon wrote:
    BUT... Certain players from certain clubs will have to go because they will not turn up for Roy, and that says more about them than it does about Hodgson and wanting to play for him and the shirt!! LFC and MU players in particular should of kept they fingers away from the tweet buttons, as now the man they all felt was a failure is in charge again!! Do these players want to play for England and Roy, no I dont believe they do, so therefore Roy has to be brave and cut loose all the old dead wood and start fresh and look at what the rest of Europe do, and clean sweep the England dressing room!! I feel Roy will do just that, and Good luck to him, he is the right man for the job right now along with Stuart Pearce in the future!. :-B

Absolutely.

And first for the cull has to be JT. The FA have stated that he cant be captain (thats the reason we are in this mess in the first place) but hes unlikely to accept this just as he didnt in 2010. A thoroughly odious individual who thinks only about himself.

Can't wait for the day when Terry is gone from the England squad for good.
    We can't win a game at the mo. King Kenny your ranking is slowing sinking. Let's stuff chelsea this weekend come on u reds.

Eat my chips
    We can't win a game at the mo. King Kenny your ranking is slowing sinking. Let's stuff chelsea this weekend come on u reds.

Eat my chips

We better beat chelsea the the fa cup because we are hopeless in the championship.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    001 wrote:

Eat my chips

We better beat chelsea the the fa cup because we are hopeless in the championship.

Well the way Liverpool are playing compared to Chelsea's recent form, I wouldn't bet my house on it.
    I reminded workmates last week who told me, Chelsea wont beat Benfica...no way. Then, you don't have a chance against Barcelona...no way.
    It's a funny old game my friends.
    But Chelsea will be my bet.

;)
  • RC7RC7
    001 wrote:
    we are hopeless in the championship.

That's where you'll be in a few years if Kenny sticks around.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    I'd bet my house that Liverpool football club won't get relegated with kenny daglish managing the club.
    Are you sure mate? That was absolute shite last night. I dont care that people have their minds on the cup final. If the likes of Shelvey, Henderson, Downing and co think that they can get away with putting in a shift like that playing for Liverpool then Kenny has lost the dressing room. Even Terry Connor wouldve ripped into his team if they had delivered that rubbish last night. Totally unacceptable. I dont even remember us having a single shot all night. Against Fulham. At home.

Some of these donkeys need reminding that they are actually playing for LFC.
  • And to think, sacking Benitez was once seen as the act needed for the club to progress :(
    Are you sure mate? That was absolute shite last night. I dont care that people have their minds on the cup final. If the likes of Shelvey, Henderson, Downing and co think that they can get away with putting in a shift like that playing for Liverpool then Kenny has lost the dressing room. Even Terry Connor wouldve ripped into his team if they had delivered that rubbish last night. Totally unacceptable. I dont even remember us having a single shot all night. Against Fulham. At home.

So true Sir....
    But unfortunately these "Donkeys" are and have become even more detached from what is the real world and what it means to play for a club like LFC or England!? As Hodgson will find out very soon!!? :-B
    Nice to see THE SUN newspaper getting behind the new England manager! Clearly they have learned nothing? After all the scandal of phone hacking, privacy and basic respect.
    MrEon wrote:

So true Sir....
    But unfortunately these "Donkeys" are and have become even more detached from what is the real world and what it means to play for a club like LFC or England!? As Hodgson will find out very soon!!? :-B

Absolutely right old chap. I am at the end of my tether with LFC as well as England. Roy could do worse than just pick a team from the Championship who actually would give every every drop of blood for the shirt. Foster a tight team spirit and who knows we could go and do a Greece?

Never get anywhere with poisonous JT in the dressing room as he is to team spirit what Sepp Blatter is to great leadership.
    MrEon wrote:

So true Sir....

Absolutely right old chap. I am at the end of my tether with LFC as well as England. Roy could do worse than just pick a team from the Championship who actually would give every every drop of blood for the shirt. Foster a tight team spirit and who knows we could go and do a Greece?

Never get anywhere with poisonous JT in the dressing room as he is to team spirit what Sepp Blatter is to great leadership.

Roy has to be brave and strip the team down to who matters and who wants to play for England!! As you say I would be much happier to see non prem players in an England shirt if they were giving there all!! JT and pretty much all of his generation should be dropped and forgotten, time to move on from these prima donnas who have no understanding of what it cost to live theses day let alone be privileged enough to play for any of the top clubs earning £100k a week and all!!! :-B
    Ajax Amsterdam is the official champion of the Netherlands. 13 games ago it looked very bad for the team but 13 wins in a row did change everything. :!! :-)) =D>
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Hodgson took Switzerland to third in the world rankings. Third. When you look at his actual on-paper record, it's pretty clear he was the outstanding English candidate for the England job. On-paper, that is. But whether he'll do any good or not is a completely different matter, of course - and may even have less to do with him than with whether the modern, over-pampered Premiership football star can muster together a performance in a team that's not his club. For me, that's been England's biggest problem for some time - it may take a coaching genius to find a solution to it...
    As long as the English fans don't expect Hodgson to lead their team to the European championship, he'll be fine.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Ajax Amsterdam is the official champion of the Netherlands. 13 games ago it looked very bad for the team but 13 wins in a row did change everything. :!! :-)) =D>

Congratulations to both Ajax and Real Madrid for securing their league titles tonight :)

We do need a clear out in the summer although I may disagree on who I think needs to go! :D
    Can't wait for Saturday! :D

Some of these donkeys need reminding that they are actually playing for LFC.[/quote]

We do need a clear out in the summer although I may disagree on who I think needs to go! :D
    Can't wait for Saturday! :D[/quote]

We need better finishers.
    Bring it on Chelsea, Liverpool seem to fire when it comes to the cups.

Stevie still has at least one epic game left in him. Lets hope for one on saturday and one for England in the quarters or semis.

Suarez also knows how to win things. If those two turn it on then we'll have a chance even with the drag effect of Henderson and Downing.
    Henderson is very talented!!!!! Go damn it haha
    edited May 2012 Posts: 9,117
    In the immortal words of the great Les Dennis -
    'If Henderson scores the winner on saturday I'll give you the money myself.'
    Used to Love the auld family fortunes
    How much we talking? Lol
    Why not 20m? Seems to be a fairly meaningless figure these days.