"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What legends Chelsea were against Barcelona. Down to 10 men, defending for near on the entire game, yet the team on their way to the final.
    Why?
    Because Chelsea are the better team.
    Just one final note to Messi, the idea is to get the ball in the net, not as close as possible. Hahaha.
  • Craig and me Liverpool FC ofcourse :)
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,817
    I don't think Chelsea is a better team... they played a better half-time and then close their defences...
    And very bad luck of Messi of falling that penalty...
    I admire Barcelona very much... however I'm a AC Milan follower!
    Well as a Chelsea fan, you'll forgive me of thinking them the better team.
    Blue is the colour.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,817
    That's all right sport! It's the first time I write in this soccer thread, it should be interesting, although I mostly follow Italian football.
  • I'm a Newcastle fan, in dreamland at the moment lol.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    SaintMark wrote:
    They did not play football.

Yes they did. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-football

Barcelona is arguably the best team ever, and there's probably no other way to play against them if you want to win, especially when you're down to ten men. It's a legitimate strategy, and it paid off - Chelsea even scored a goal playing that way.

Congrats to Chelsea and to my fellow countryman Bane Ivanović.

Another footballing treat with the champions league tonight! :-bd
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Yep I'm feeling bayern will go through ...
    Penalties it is then! get a feeling its gonna be Munich?
    Just finished watching the game...

I do like Bayern, but my favorite team is Real Madrid. It's a pity they had to go to PK's. All I have to say is... Frickin' Ramos... :-w
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well the two fancied teams for the final are out.

The 2 semi finals were wonderful adverts for the game though, both games swinging one way then the other, both exciting and unpredictable. In fact as far as England goes, this has been a great season of football.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 940
    I'm a Newcastle fan, in dreamland at the moment lol.

You'll be hoping Chelsea lose the Champions Legue Final then or they'll steal your possible Champions League place next year! Amazing season for Newcastle. Cisse looks like one of the best strikers in the Premiere League.

I was hoping for a Jose vs Chelsea final, but it seems the Germans always do well on the shootouts! The blues now face an extra tough task with Bayern on their home ground.

My team (Charlton Athletic) got promoted back to the Championship the other week so we're slowly making a comeback...
    0013 wrote:
    I don't think Chelsea is a better team... they played a better half-time and then close their defences...
    And very bad luck of Messi of falling that penalty...
    I admire Barcelona very much... however I'm a AC Milan follower!

Me too! Although I don't care that much about the team itself. I follow Ibra wherever he goes. And I hope Chelsea will win the final.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I follow Ibra wherever he goes.

No point in you tuning in to the CL final then because you'll never see him there. Actually not really worth watching it after the group stage because the moment the business end of the tournament starts Ibra exits.

Well done to Chelsea for showing the continentals a classic dogged English game of putting their bodies on the line. Barca can whine all they want but you win the game on goals not possession percentage. How many times was Cech worked? If my team had 75% possession I would expect more than the odd shot on goal.

On their day Barca will rip you apart but the trouble is if its not their day then they arent able to dig it out. Look at the scum if you want to see how its done. Theyve been shit the last 2 seasons but won the league and are probably going to win it again. Barca are just a better version of Arsenal but that doesnt necessarily translate into trophies.
    Well each his own, winning by anti-football is perhaps the only way for a side like Chelsea to win. Because when it comes to football they lack the quality.

I do sincerely hope Bayern wins the finale because they actually beat their opponent playing the game instead of grouping around the penalty area like a bunch of cowards.

But their Russian sugardaddy will undoubtely buy them a new set of players next year. I am waiting for the moment the clubs have to have their financial housekeeping in order before they can play internationally again.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    SaintMark wrote:
    Well each his own, winning by anti-football is perhaps the only way for a side like Chelsea to win. Because when it comes to football they lack the quality.

I do sincerely hope Bayern wins the finale because they actually beat their opponent playing the game instead of grouping around the penalty area like a bunch of cowards.

Wouldn't be so sure about that, you know, my fellow saintly one. Chelski may have got lucky a couple of weekends ago with a 'ghost goal' against Spurs, but they then won that match 4-1 by playing anything but defensive football. Chelsea, like 'em or loathe 'em (and I'm far from their biggest fan myself) are a versatile, experienced side with some - still - very decent players - and, I suspect, will give Bayern a decent match in the final. Both sides will be just as desperate to win it as each other. Mind you, Bayern have been a fine side this season (especially in the CL) and would surely be worthy winners.

To be honest, though, I couldn't care less who wins so long as Barcelona now won't - utterly had enough of their metronomic, cure-for-insomnia brand of football, I'm afraid. For me, football is at its most entertaining when it contains high skill and talent, yes, but also cut and thrust and a bit of physicality (much like the great France side of the early '00s played). For the same reason, wouldn't at all mind seeing Spain get rumbled this summer in Ukraine and Poland... :p
  • Pep Guardiola for England?
    Arsene Wenger for Barcelona?

Devil's advocate ;)
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    I follow Ibra wherever he goes.

No point in you tuning in to the CL final then because you'll never see him there. Actually not really worth watching it after the group stage because the moment the business end of the tournament starts Ibra exits.

Well, I wouldn't say things like these to someone whose favorite team actually plays in the CL... ;) Better than having trouble qualifying to Europa League. =)) =)) =))

But seriously, I like Liverpool and wish they were better off.
  • I'm a Liverpool fan...would love Benitez back...should never have been sacked!
    Bring back Robbie Fowler!
    SaintMark wrote:

But their Russian sugardaddy will undoubtely buy them a new set of players next year. I am waiting for the moment the clubs have to have their financial housekeeping in order before they can play internationally again.

Believe or not, the idea of the game is to score goals, and stop your opponent scoring against you.
    Chelsea did just that. For all their possession Barcelona did nothing with it, and it cost them big.
    I look forward to Chelsea taking on Liverpool in the FA cup, and Bayern in the Champions league.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The fact that Barca had more possession than Chelsea is not a reflection on the type of team Chelsea is, more about the type of team Barca is. They always dominate possession, and in order to beat them you have to out-think them.. and defending in numbers is one of the ways to do it.
    Against lesser teams Chelsea dominate possession as well. It's all about tactics, and although in the first leg Chelsea rode their luck, they get those tactics right, therefore they fully deserved the win.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    How come when Ali just soaked up all Foreman had to offer and then came off the ropes to knock him out its heralded as a tactical triumph but when Chelsea do the same its called anti-football? Might as well say Ali was doing anti-boxing as he wasnt trying to hit his opponent.

But the object of all sporting contests is to win and as long as what you do is within the rules then any complaints your opponents might have is just sour grapes.
    Well, I wouldn't say things like these to someone whose favorite team actually plays in the CL... ;) Better than having trouble qualifying to Europa League. =)) =)) =))

But seriously, I like Liverpool and wish they were better off.

Not slagging off your team old chap just your misguided faith in a bloke who has never come within sniffing distance of a CL final.
    Bring back Robbie Fowler!

Absolutely. Hes only about 36. Just leave him in the area and get the ball to him - would still score more than big Andy.
    I'm a Liverpool fan...would love Benitez back...should never have been sacked!

I agree. Kenny is obivously too rooted in the 80s and cant cut it any more and given that theres no way Pep or Jose would come near us who could we possibly attract with a CV to compare with Rafa? The bloke is dying to be asked back.
    I am Portuguese so, i am a fan of my team Sporting FC who got to the semi-finals of the " Europa League". Lost to Atletic Bilbau. Still very proud. I am a fan of Real Madrid but I respect Barcelona. I prefer Cristiano Ronaldo instead of Messi. The premier league is my favourite one to watch

I think this year's UEFA Champions League's final is not what I was expecting.
    Goodbye Guardiola! It will be hard to the Barcelona to still be the great team it has proved... unless Tito secures a good continuity... and motivation.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Luis Suarez ..........
    well done southampton today much deserved promotion another team in the premership that like to play football rather than hoofball
  • Well done to the Saints. Back in the Premier League where you belong! Agree with the previous post. Saints like to play football the right way.
    DCisared wrote:
    Luis Suarez ..........

Did he bite someone, do some superiour swandives, what??????