"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

0013 wrote:
    Goodbye Guardiola! It will be hard to the Barcelona to still be the great team it has proved... unless Tito secures a good continuity... and motivation.

The news of him leaving was quite shocking to me! I'm not a Barcelona fan but I have plenty of respect for Pep. I feel like it's the end of an era.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/28/norwich-city-liverpool-premier-league?cat=football&type=article scored a hattrick , all of them superb finishes the 3rd being a 45 yard alonso esq lob . Say what u want about him but u can't deny the man is world class.
    jackdagger wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    Goodbye Guardiola! It will be hard to the Barcelona to still be the great team it has proved... unless Tito secures a good continuity... and motivation.

The news of him leaving was quite shocking to me! I'm not a Barcelona fan but I have plenty of respect for Pep. I feel like it's the end of an era.

I don't think anyone really saw that coming.
    jackdagger wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Yes, it is! Even if he returns in some years, it could be an unsuccesful try, like Michael Jordan and Connery in DAF.
    2 games to go till the end of the season - proud that the super swans have done so well. Now just to beat man u and liverpool for a top 10 finish =D>
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    DCisared wrote:
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/28/norwich-city-liverpool-premier-league?cat=football&type=article scored a hattrick , all of them superb finishes the 3rd being a 45 yard alonso esq lob . Say what u want about him but u can't deny the man is world class.

Which is why he'll be gone in the summer. I really felt sorry for the bloke today. His brain is about 20 minutes ahead of the cloggers around him. The amount of times he made a stunning run expecting the easy first time ball and that inept clown Downing took about 10 touches before delivering a killer ball straight to a defender.

Honestly Heather Mills would have better delivery from the wing than Downing - its unbelievable that anyone could pay 20m for a bloke who would struggle to break into Boltons lineup. That signing alone was reason enough for Commoli to go.

Just cant understand how he can get the nod ahead of Maxi and Dirk - except if you dont play him youre admitting to the owners 'I've dropped a bollock here and pissed 20m away on a championship player.'
    DCisared wrote:

Which is why he'll be gone in the summer. I really felt sorry for the bloke today. His brain is about 20 minutes ahead of the cloggers around him. The amount of times he made a stunning run expecting the easy first time ball and that inept clown Downing took about 10 touches before delivering a killer ball straight to a defender.

Honestly Heather Mills would have better delivery from the wing than Downing - its unbelievable that anyone could pay 20m for a bloke who would struggle to break into Boltons lineup. That signing alone was reason enough for Commoli to go.

Just cant understand how he can get the nod ahead of Maxi and Dirk - except if you dont play him youre admitting to the owners 'I've dropped a bollock here and pissed 20m away on a championship player.'

Maxi starts and he nearly always scores.He should start.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 2,782
    Maxi should come on with Dirk in the last thirty 30mins. I'd torment them with Carol, the argie bargie and Steve G playing all upfront for 60 mins and stuff those spoilt Chelsea brats. Torress you in danger girl.

Ajax Amsterdam is not yet champion but they are with 2 matches to play 6 points ahead of the competition and on goal difference 24 goals ahead on nr. 2 :!!
    They did do serious business by winning the last 12 games in a row.

They must pull some really bad stunts to spoil their championship this year.
    I am a proud Norwich fan, but it was the Suarez show yesterday. Its a shame that the affair with Evra happened when you see talent like that.
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    I am a proud Norwich fan, but it was the Suarez show yesterday. Its a shame that the affair with Evra happened when you see talent like that.

Big Liverpool fan but the whole episode was handled from start to finish. Kenny was shown up. I feel Suarez has to go, not the Liverpool way. Having said that Evra took a serious issue and turned it into a circus for his benefit and not the issue itself. He's a short man with an attitude.
    RogueAgent wrote:

Big Liverpool fan but the whole episode was handled from start to finish. Kenny was shown up. I feel Suarez has to go, not the Liverpool way. Having said that Evra took a serious issue and turned it into a circus for his benefit and not the issue itself. He's a short man with an attitude.

Suarez is a bit of a tit, when he played with Ajax Amsterdam he bit a player from the opposite team got some serious free time because of that.

I still felt that the Evra bloke was a bit of a drama-queen even if Suarez could have handled it better.

• DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm not really into the national leagues but I must say I enjoyed watching Bayern München win over Real Madrid in the champions league semi :)
    SaintMark wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Suarez is a bit of a tit, when he played with Ajax Amsterdam he bit a player from the opposite team got some serious free time because of that.

I still felt that the Evra bloke was a bit of a drama-queen even if Suarez could have handled it better.

Evra did not come out of it any better to be honest too either. Regardless of that case, there was a clip if him i think at a hotel in Monaco, on camcorder coming out with racist remarks. Whether it was messing around or not? He should not get on his high horse about it? It's a serious issue which can cause alot of anger and upset. Just because they have a sporting talent and alot of money, does not mean they are above us or the law.

If it was me or you? It's a criminal record, loss of a career or a job, the alienation of friends, family, and even your own special loved one. They certainly do not live in the REAL world.
    Ibrahimovic has now beaten Van Basten's season record of 32 goals (1988-89). Add to that 14 assists in Ibra's favour. Van Basten played 47 games in what is considered to be one of the best sides ever, Ibra has played 41 games in an otherwise average Milan team.

Ibra is the best player ever!
    Ibrahimovic has now beaten Van Basten's season record of 32 goals (1988-89). Add to that 14 assists in Ibra's favour. Van Basten played 47 games in what is considered to be one of the best sides ever, Ibra has played 41 games in an otherwise average Milan team.

And what prize did he win for AC Milan this year??

Just saying you know.

Van Basten also took the Dutch National team by the hand and they became European champions before the season 88-89 started. Van Basten remain forever the better player. Ibra might be a gifted player among mediocre players and they have to accept his idiot behaviour. Among other gifted players he is just an idiot and most people who play or played with him do not even like him. And that says a lot about him, with some discipline he might have operated at a higher level. A classic example of a gifted player that overplayed his arrogance.

:D
    SaintMark wrote:

Just saying you know.

Van Basten also took the Dutch National team by the hand and they became European champions before the season 88-89 started. Van Basten remain forever the better player. Ibra might be a gifted player among mediocre players and they have to accept his idiot behaviour. Among other gifted players he is just an idiot and most people who play or played with him do not even like him. And that says a lot about him, with some discipline he might have operated at a higher level. A classic example of a gifted player that overplayed his arrogance.

Mediocre? You can't be serious (or perhaps you are a brit, then talking sense to you about Ibra is impossible).

He won the suppercoppa nazionale this year, and would have won the scudetto with fewer squad injuries. And winning the EC with the Dutch National team is alot easier than the swedish, don't you think? Football is, as you know, a team sport. He can't win by himself. Not even Messi is good in Argentina.
    SaintMark wrote:

Just saying you know.

Mediocre? You can't be serious (or perhaps you are a brit, then talking sense to you about Ibra is impossible).

He won the suppercoppa nazionale this year, and would have won the scudetto with fewer squad injuries. And winning the EC with the Dutch National team is alot easier than the swedish, don't you think? Football is, as you know, a team sport. He can't win by himself. Not even Messi is good in Argentina.

To be honest this years AC Milan is just not that impressive and to win the national cup is nice for them.
    My point is that your precious Ibra is mostly a legend in his own mind, when he is gone he will be remembered in Sweden. While van Basten still be a hero with AC Milan, simply because in his days AC Milan counted for something.

Ibra f*cked up his own career by his weird and arrogant behaviour. He could have been really brilliant has he shown some discipline. Even Milan keeps him for his talent and not his behaviour. As soon as he slows down he is out and most topteams do not really want him anymore.

It is just a shame that such a talented footballer is such a tit.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    I agree that the current Milan squad isn't impressive, apart from Ibra, Cassano, Boateng, Nesta and Silva. Robinho I think is good apart from his horrendous finishing. Berlusconi doesn't like spending money and only buys cheaps players or loans them. He likes to extend old players' contracts because he doesn't want to pay for a transfer.
    Basically Milan is an average Serie A team with some brilliance here and there.

But I think Ibra also will be remembered not only in Sweden but in Italy also, where many see him as a god (or close to). He might win the "player of the decade" award in the Serie A, as well as the awards he has already won (several "best player of the year" and atleast two "goal scorer of the year"). However, I don't think he will reach the status of either Van Basten or Shevshenko, especially not since he has played for Inter and Juve also. If he had played in AC Milan for 10 years I think he could get quite close to Van Basten's status. But winning the CL is a must for this, and for this the current Milan team would need a miracle. Or a new squad. ;)

You are also right about his behaviour, but he wouldn't be the player he is without it. I suppose one has to compromise. :-* In a club like Barca this doesn't work off pitch. It worked on the field as long as Zlatan got to play where he wanted. Second half of the season Messi played there instead, and Pep made the right choice, since Messi fits better with Barca than Ibra.

And Andy Caroll won the Carling Cup and would have won the premier league if his team wasnt utter shite. Your point is?

I agree but with the super talented Zlatters in the side Swedens tournament record reads:
    04 - knocked out in 2nd round
    06 - knocked out in 2nd round
    08 - knocked out in group stage
    10 - Didnt qualify

In the 10 years previous to this footballing God lining up for them Swedens record is:

94 - 3rd place
    96 - Didnt qualify
    98 - Didnt qualify
    00 - knocked out in group stage
    02 - knocked out in 2nd round

I dont really detect any tangible improvement for a bloke who can make the ball do his bidding and fills defences across the world with fear.

I still fail to recall a single knockout tie in the Champions League, World Cup or Euros where he has even been part of the winning team let alone scored a goal. I think he misunderstands the term 'knockout stage' and thinks the object is to actually get knocked out.

You can point to the world renowned Supercoppa Nazionale or how many hattricks hes scored against Chievo and Lecce 007RogerMoore but I challenge you to put forward any tangible evidence that when the pressure is on he doesnt do a Lord Lucan.

He might be a legend in Sweden or Italy but Serie A is a long way from what it was and the fact he lasted one season in Spain and has never troubled a Premier league team - the two leagues where the best players ply their trade - just go to back up the theory that hes not very good.

Hes just a better version of Jermaine Defoe - flat track bully but decent teams have the cigars out against him.
    Premiership race back on!!!! :-bd
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    RogueAgent wrote:

I'm putting my money on City winning the league. Glad United lost :D
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    I'm not very good at statistics, but I know he has performed when the pressure is on too. One example is his brace against Arsenal in 2010 (knockout rounds). Another is when he won the scudetto for Inter in the last game in 2008 (I think). He was injured and in his absence Inter lost an 11 point lead. They lost points to teams like Lecce and Reggina. In the last game of the season, Inter needed a win to retain the scudetto. Mancini told Ibra something like "I know you are not recovered, but I don't care". After like 50 or 60 minutes, the game was still scoreless. Ibra was subbed in, and while the other Inter players seemed nervous and scarred, Ibra scored 2 goals and Inter won the title. I know this wasn't very well written and my memory is fuzzy, but he has scored in importand games. I'm sure if anyone is interested you can search Wikipedia, they can give you alot more information than me.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/8401/38/
    RogueAgent wrote:

Absolutely amazing how United possible did give away their title. It does show however how vunerable this United team is this year.
    Good for the competition though.

edited May 2012 Posts: 9,117
    I'm not very good at statistics, but I know he has performed when the pressure is on too. One example is his brace against Arsenal in 2010 (knockout rounds). Another is when he won the scudetto for Inter in the last game in 2008 (I think). He was injured and in his absence Inter lost an 11 point lead. They lost points to teams like Lecce and Reggina. In the last game of the season, Inter needed a win to retain the scudetto. Mancini told Ibra something like "I know you are not recovered, but I don't care". After like 50 or 60 minutes, the game was still scoreless. Ibra was subbed in, and while the other Inter players seemed nervous and scarred, Ibra scored 2 goals and Inter won the title. I know this wasn't very well written and my memory is fuzzy, but he has scored in importand games. I'm sure if anyone is interested you can search Wikipedia, they can give you alot more information than me.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/8401/38/

I stand corrected 007RogerMoore. Is that really the best youve got?
    2 goals v Arsenal (hardly the most feared team in Europe) that ulitmately didnt matter because Messi destroyed them in the 2nd leg anyway and once in Serie A (where you dont even mention who the oppostion was for these epic feats).

Not exactly Messi or Ronaldo is it? Not even Rooney who I would dispute is truly world class (especially on last nights evidence).

You can keep defending him all you want but great players do it at the business end of tournaments and seeing as he never gets there he can never be labelled a great.

I'm sure I'll be proved wrong in the summer when he steps up and scores a hattrick in the final in Kiev.

If you want to know what a quality player stepping up to the plate under pressure looks like, have a look at Yaya last night. Guy was f**king immense.
    You should talk to a guy from the AC Milan forums called Fredrik, he knows stuff about Ibra. I don't remember things very well, and it shows here. But I think it's pointless to keep arguing about Ibra. You think he sucks, I think he is great. It doesn't look like either of us is going to change our opinion about him. Let's leave it at this.
    Yeah fair enough. Except I'm right and you're wrong of course. Same as TMWTGG I suppose. :)
    You should talk to a guy from the AC Milan forums called Fredrik, he knows stuff about Ibra. I don't remember things very well, and it shows here. But I think it's pointless to keep arguing about Ibra. You think he sucks, I think he is great. It doesn't look like either of us is going to change our opinion about him. Let's leave it at this.

Ibra does not suck, but his attitudes toward other players and coaches makes that he himself is responsible for a limited growth as player. That does make him a player that does not compete in the annals of worldclass players. Which is a shame because he did have the talent.

So where do you stand on Roy Hodgson 007RogerMoore? Hes pretty respected in Sweden isnt he?
    Yeah fair enough. Except I'm right and you're wrong of course. Same as TMWTGG I suppose. :)

Haha, you are delusional. ;)
    So where do you stand on Roy Hodgson 007RogerMoore? Hes pretty respected in Sweden isnt he?

Yes he is, but he was here before my interest in football started. I think that he wasn't responsible for Liverpool's lackluster results a few years back. He will be a good coach for England, even if I rank Capello higher.