NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2020 Posts: 17,783

Billie-Eilish-and-Finneas-OConnell.jpg

OK, so the song was weak. At least I like her hair. I don't.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The algae highlights to her hair must be made valuable in the promotion of the film.
    The algae highlights to her hair must be made valuable in the promotion of the film.

It'll take it all.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    My personal ranking

1) Skyfall
    2) You Know My Name
    3) No Time To Die
    4) Another Way To Die

5) That Sam Smith "song".
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Dragonpol wrote: »

She forgot to use "duh" in the song :P
  • Trust me, this song will be used as a benchmark of Bond theme greatness for years' to come. It's going to get iconic status.

It's a little early at the moment, but I have a feeling.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Heard it on the radio for the first time on Graham Norton's radio show on BBC Radio 2.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000ffj3

• @Pierce2Daniel I dunno if it'll ever reach 'Skyfall' levels, but it might come close. It'll attract a younger crowd as well, since Billie has such a strong fanbase.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

She forgot to use "duh" in the song :P

Pity she didn't forget the word "stoopid" in the song. ;)
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,507
    Shardlake wrote: »
    You Know my name is a brilliant title to kick off the new era.

A ballad would have been wholly inappropriate to kick off Craig's era. The decision to go with the song rather than the marketing angle, meaning they weren't looking for the flavour of the month but the best combination that would deliver a tune that would signal this is a new era a new beginning and a new Bond.

I don't really think they could have done better than what Cornell delivered.

Also anyone putting WOTW over YKMN I really can't take seriously.

Cornell has an amazing voice. His cover of this song brings me close to tears. He's outstanding. He was an amazing 'outside the box' choice:

But I can't help but feel that YKMN was nothing if not 'generic' rock. It was a little bland and tasteless. Maybe I need to give it another listen, but there is something quite uninspired about it.....

It was a bold choice to go with a tougher, more bruising sound. Something more macho and iconalastic for the theme. But it was an idea on paper that was better than the execution.

On the other hand, Sam Smith has a pretty amazing voice in a different way. He's more operatic and theatrical. Men often sing butch, tough Bond themes - so to ave a song by a man singing something more yearning and vulnerable was a great change of pace. It's a proper 'Bond' theme

https://66.media.tumblr.com/7da6bb1d3019cd0fe771ad21233b3ce8/tumblr_mf51kvVywc1r3i95ho1_500.gifv
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    What’s wrong with that word?
  • RyanRyan Canada
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    My personal ranking
    5) That Sam Smith "song".

You give it too much credit. ;)
    @Pierce2Daniel I dunno if it'll ever reach 'Skyfall' levels, but it might come close. It'll attract a younger crowd as well, since Billie has such a strong fanbase.

Skyfall is almost an unfair benchmark at this point. The 50th was truly a special year for Bond and the hype was astounding. Never have I heard so many non-fans or casual fans talking so highly of Bond or a Bond song.

I think Eilish's currently popularity will do wonders for the song's impact. If anything, I think it will be a testament to the song itself since this film has nowhere near the hype of the "50th Anniversary Bond" as it were and yet the song is already making some impressive numbers.
    Not sure if it was posted but Eilish will appear on Good Morning America ahead of her performance at the BRITs next Tuesday

https://www.wdtvpress.com/abc/pressrelease/highlights-for-abc-news-good-morning-america-feb-17-22/
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote: »
    You Know my name is a brilliant title to kick off the new era.

A ballad would have been wholly inappropriate to kick off Craig's era. The decision to go with the song rather than the marketing angle, meaning they weren't looking for the flavour of the month but the best combination that would deliver a tune that would signal this is a new era a new beginning and a new Bond.

I don't really think they could have done better than what Cornell delivered.

Also anyone putting WOTW over YKMN I really can't take seriously.

Cornell has an amazing voice. His cover of this song brings me close to tears. He's outstanding. He was an amazing 'outside the box' choice:

But I can't help but feel that YKMN was nothing if not 'generic' rock. It was a little bland and tasteless. Maybe I need to give it another listen, but there is something quite uninspired about it.....

It was a bold choice to go with a tougher, more bruising sound. Something more macho and iconalastic for the theme. But it was an idea on paper that was better than the execution.

On the other hand, Sam Smith has a pretty amazing voice in a different way. He's more operatic and theatrical. Men often sing butch, tough Bond themes - so to ave a song by a man singing something more yearning and vulnerable was a great change of pace. It's a proper 'Bond' theme.

I don't think his lyrical concept was right for Bond at all and his voice and approach is just jarring. He is much better suited some teen drama, he might be able to tap into that vibe, he certainly can't put himself in the skin of James Bond.

Strangely enough an 18 year old girl and her brother seem to have a had a much better grasp on the idea. Smith came up with something that just didn't ring true in the film at all.

His narrative for the song was ill judged and just weak. A song from the villains stand point would have been much better, Radiohead's Spectre did this, atmospheric, not pastiche. Even the orchestrations had a unique although Bondian feel. Although we are talking about the academy nominated and outright musical wonder Jonny Greenwood and not whoever produced that Bond lite sound for Smith.

I'm perfectly aware how powerful Cornell voice is, I was in the thick of the grunge era and even saw Soundgarden on their Super Unknown tour.

Cornell honed in on the idea of Bond at that early stage of his career, it is like how Bond feels he is the man, dangerous better than the rest, somewhat arrogant, impulsive, you better watch out because if you are on my list you are a goner.

Plus a generic rock tune as you call it couldn't have been better for DC, something hard hitting that opens the film, a light love ballad would not have worked at all.

Compare that with whatever Smith was warbling about and you can tell Cornell was a veteran who knew what he was doing and perfectly collaborated with Arnold on his theme.

It would be the last time really that EON went on the strength of the artist, their abilities and suitability for the assignment. Rather than who was hot at the time, in some instances they are going to hit pay dirt this way but in other in the case of Sam Smith, most certainly not.

AWTD, as much as I like Jack White, was ill advised and hasn't aged well. The duet was a factor that should have never been approached.

Although having to step into the breach that was left by Winehouse and Ronson's exit didn't help. We truly got robbed of that collaboration which I think would have produced solid gold had poor Amy not been on a fast trajectory to her tragic fate.

Skyfall, I'm not an Adele fan but it made perfect sense and while I think she had made better songs and outside of the credits it is pretty dirge like, lyrically she seems to get the idea and it rings true with the film.

In comparison I will never understand what Smith was getting at, that isn't Bond at all.

Whereas I think No Time To Die has a haunting quality and lyrics that feel like they have tapped into their subject with some intelligence and thought.

Writings on the Wall is an awful song, like I said I can't take anyone serious who thinks that is a good song, its as ill judged as some of the decisions taken with plot and story of the accompanying film.

• edited February 2020 Posts: 17,270
    My ranking:

1. You Know My Name (by a significant margin)
    2. Skyfall
    3. Another Way To Die
    4. No Time To Die
    5. Writing's On The Wall

The four songs that followed YKMN do little for me. Skyfall is alright, but it doesn't have any lasting replay value.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    1. YKMN
    2. SF

3. NTTD

4. WOTW
    5. AWTD
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    My ratings for all the songs including video games, apart from Goldeneye cause that was just a cover.

1. Skyfall
    2. No Time to Die
    3. You Know My Name
    4. I'll Take It All (Bloodstone videogame)
    5. When Nobody Loves You (QoS videogame)
    6. Another Way To DIe
    7. Writing's On The Wall
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Has it been confirmed she is playing at the Brits? @antovolk I might have missed that
    Never understood the hype for SF.
    Drab and dreary, never clicked with me!
    YKMN is without a doubt the finest of the Craig era, and Kleinmans excellent title sequence matched it really well.
    Eilishs theme is probably somewhere in the middle! It's good, but not great!
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 565
    My rankings right now go like this:
    1. SF
    2. NTTD
    3. YKMN

3. AWTD
    4. WOTW

I get the appreciation people have for YKMN, but there is just something about it that doesn't jive with me. I cringe a few times during the song. There's something amateurish about it, but I just cant pin it. Part of it might be that it just doesn't suffice well as a standalone.

NTTD is as high as it is because of the lyrics - they're clever, weighted, and most importantly, relatable. All the other Craig songs suffer horribly in this regard. (ie. Skyfall refers to the house - it's where we start, at Skyfall - which makes it totally unrelatable.) SF remains at the top for its anthem quality. The other two, I dont feel like I need to justify their positions.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    jake24 wrote: »
    1. YKMN
    2. SF

3. NTTD

4. WOTW
    5. AWTD

Spot on.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Denbigh wrote: »
    My ratings for all the songs including video games, apart from Goldeneye cause that was just a cover.

1. Skyfall
    2. No Time to Die
    3. You Know My Name
    4. I'll Take It All (Bloodstone videogame)
    5. When Nobody Loves You (QoS videogame)

6. Another Way To DIe
    7. Writing's On The Wall
    Snap @JamesStock haha :D
    Horses for courses but I think Cornell’s song is poor. He is singing out of his range for the chorus and he struggles to deliver IMO. It’s dad rock.
    I heard a tease of NTTD on a morning radio show and it didn't sound good. Got home and listened to it on YouTube.

First impression: highly unimpressed. Appropriate lyrics but whisper singing doesn't do justice to a Bond song. Comments were from likely pro-Eilish fans who defended the belting voice toward the end as proving she can sing and some liked the Bond-like final notes. Enough of the ballads already.

I'll wait until I hear it with the credits to have a more firm opinion.
  • It's a grower, not a shower. Disappointment sunk in by the first 90 seconds or so on the first listen, but it picked up nicely. Probably the most minimalist Bond theme, and with some of the most beautiful lyrics. Much better than Smith's effort!

Also great to know that Zimmer worked on it and will surely weave it into the score.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    #1 on Apple iTunes already.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2020 Posts: 23,526
    Let us not overlook the fact that with over 1,1 million "votes" for this video (which it barely is) and a staggering 97 % "like", it's safe to say that this song is going to do the film a service BO wise.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Horses for courses but I think Cornell’s song is poor. He is singing out of his range for the chorus and he struggles to deliver IMO. It’s dad rock.

Out of his range? That's not even Cornell's highest register.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited February 2020 Posts: 972
    As far as I can see, only those that were against Billie or dislike her for some reason hates the new Bond song.

Haters gonna hate. Haters gotta hate.