NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,009
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Let us not overlook the fact that with over 1,1 million "votes" for this video (which it barely is) and a staggering 97 % "like", it's safe to say that this song is going to do the film a service BO wise.

Absolutely. Eilish is going to be a massive asset, the same way Adele was. Maybe even more so.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I like the new Bond song. Memorable, respectful and even has the Bond theme in the background.

My rating of the Craig era songs;

1. You know my Name.
    2. Skyfall
    3. No time to die.
    4. Writings on the wall.
    5. Another way to die.
  • RC7RC7
    EON have played a blinder. A simple, smart and hugely evocative tune. It’s resonating incredibly well with the press and general public. Great job on all counts.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I never expected to like it as much as I do.

It will never be all time favourite of the series but of the era I think it is second only to Cornell and Arnold's storming start to Craig's tenure.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

I found a different NO TIME TO DIE Music Video :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    imranbecks wrote: »
    As far as I can see, only those that were against Billie or dislike her for some reason hates the new Bond song.

Haters gonna hate. Haters gotta hate.

Haters *knew* the song was going to be terrible. Haters *knew* an 18-year old wasn't going to make it work. Haters *knew* it was going to be amelodic, not-at-all Bondian.

Haters will indeed always hate, even if they are completely and utterly proven wrong.
    Ryan wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Horses for courses but I think Cornell’s song is poor. He is singing out of his range for the chorus and he struggles to deliver IMO. It’s dad rock.

Out of his range? That's not even Cornell's highest register.

Ok but to my ears it sounds like he’s forcing it out.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Horses for courses but I think Cornell’s song is poor. He is singing out of his range for the chorus and he struggles to deliver IMO. It’s dad rock.

Fair enough. He did alter his approach to singing the song in general when performing live in his final years. I'd recommend checking out one of his acoustic renditions.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Fair enough. He did alter his approach to singing the song in general when performing live in his final years. I'd recommend checking out one of his acoustic renditions.

That is Cornell's style he isn't forcing it out at all.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    After I heard the song I kind wished Amy Winehouse were still alive. She could have been a great Bond singer. I reckon had her career not gone into self-destructive mode she would have done a Craig Bond theme.

Well, unfortunaely she isn't anymore.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Shardlake wrote: »

I never said he was. Matt007 said it sounded like he was and it's one of the reasons he doesn't care for the song, so I suggested he check out one of Cornell's acoustic versions of the song where he softens his approach to the chorus.
    Let us not overlook the fact that with over 1,1 million "votes" for this video (which it barely is) and a staggering 97 % "like", it's safe to say that this song is going to do the film a service BO wise.

Absolutely. Eilish is going to be a massive asset, the same way Adele was. Maybe even more so.
    It's a great decision by Eon, no question in terms of bringing in more people by signing a hot artist. It makes much more sense than hiring a beyond-her-prime Gladys Knight or Rita Coolidge back in the day. Doesn't mean I have to go along with a herd mentality, though in my feelings about it.

As far as I can see, only those that were against Billie or dislike her for some reason hates the new Bond song.

I have nothing against her, personally. If I don't like the song much, I don't like it. I'm still waiting to see it with the film before I can see if there's a new appreciation beyond my initial reaction.

I am trying to also look at this song alongside the other title songs in the series history, and having listened to them one after the other in chronological order on compilations, I can anticipate the three last Craig era ballads playing consecutively will feel repetitious.
    I think the song really works in advancing the Bond “sound” with a new generation of potential fans, and it’s just a good song.

In terms of marketing, NTTD is doing its job like gang busters:

https://headlineplanet.com/home/2020/02/15/billie-eilishs-no-time-to-die-debuts-at-1-on-global-spotify-chart-2-on-us-listing/

“Billie Eilish’s “No Time To Die” Debuts At #1 On Global Spotify Chart, #2 On US Listing“

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8551127/billie-eilish-no-time-to-die-justin-bieber-changes-best-new-release

“Billie Eilish has beaten one of her absolute favorite musicians when it comes to the music fans can't get out of their heads at the moment.

"No Time to Die," her new track for the upcoming James Bond film of the same name, has been voted the release of the week, and took in a whopping 66 percent of the vote.”
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 17,241

Well, that doesn't apply to everyone of course. I'd never heard anything from her before hearing the song yesterday – in other words no impression whatsoever whether she'd be a good choice or not. I simply found the song forgettable.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    BT3366 wrote: »

It's a great decision by Eon, no question in terms of bringing in more people by signing a hot artist. It makes much more sense than hiring a beyond-her-prime Gladys Knight or Rita Coolidge back in the day. Doesn't mean I have to go along with a herd mentality, though in my feelings about it.

I certainly wasn't suggesting otherwise.

Shardlake wrote: »

I never said he was. Matt007 said it sounded like he was and it's one of the reasons he doesn't care for the song, so I suggested he check out one of Cornell's acoustic versions of the song where he softens his approach to the chorus.

Yeah I don’t care much for the outro actually not so much the choruses on reflection.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't know if anyone's posted this: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/billie-eilish-no-time-to-die-oscars-performance-apple-music-interview-952832/

You know what’s funny about it? Like, two years ago, we were like, ‘Wouldn’t it be crazy to make a song for the Bond movies, and, like, wouldn’t that be dope?’ ” she explained. “And so, kind of for two years-ish, we’ve been subconsciously trying to … in our own way. And, like, we’ve written songs that have never come out that are like, ‘Oh, this sounds like Bond, like, this would be dope, like, it would never happen, whatever.’ And then this offer came up and we were like, ‘Ahhh!’

It was honestly, like, a great process,” she said after they were tapped to pen the song. “We got a piece of the script, like the first scene, and then wrote the song immediately. And we wrote it in three days, and we wrote it in Texas, and we recorded it in a bunk on the bus, in the basement in the dark.

It was a team effort as well. “I thought it would just be like, here’s the song and they take it, and then they, then I would have no say,” Eilish said. “But they actually were completely, they really wanted to know what I think.… We worked with Hans [Zimmer] and the entire orchestra. They recorded all of the orchestra when we went there.” They continued to work together to bring it to where it is now. “It went through a lot of different versions and then we got it,” she said. “We all worked really hard. Hans was incredibly easy to work with and he’s so funny, and it was a really good collaborative experience.

Different versions, eh? Would like to hear those ;) Maybe Hans will use them for reference in the different instrumental arrangements he'll concoct.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

This has been the case all decade, and generally so in the Craig era.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone's posted this: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/billie-eilish-no-time-to-die-oscars-performance-apple-music-interview-952832/

You know what’s funny about it? Like, two years ago, we were like, ‘Wouldn’t it be crazy to make a song for the Bond movies, and, like, wouldn’t that be dope?’ ” she explained. “And so, kind of for two years-ish, we’ve been subconsciously trying to … in our own way. And, like, we’ve written songs that have never come out that are like, ‘Oh, this sounds like Bond, like, this would be dope, like, it would never happen, whatever.’ And then this offer came up and we were like, ‘Ahhh!’

It was honestly, like, a great process,” she said after they were tapped to pen the song. “We got a piece of the script, like the first scene, and then wrote the song immediately. And we wrote it in three days, and we wrote it in Texas, and we recorded it in a bunk on the bus, in the basement in the dark.

It was a team effort as well. “I thought it would just be like, here’s the song and they take it, and then they, then I would have no say,” Eilish said. “But they actually were completely, they really wanted to know what I think.… We worked with Hans [Zimmer] and the entire orchestra. They recorded all of the orchestra when we went there.” They continued to work together to bring it to where it is now. “It went through a lot of different versions and then we got it,” she said. “We all worked really hard. Hans was incredibly easy to work with and he’s so funny, and it was a really good collaborative experience.

“ Like” really?
  • RC7RC7
    talos7 wrote: »

“ Like” really?

Transcribed verbatim.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,721
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I am trying to also look at this song alongside the other title songs in the series history, and having listened to them one after the other in chronological order on compilations, I can anticipate the three last Craig era ballads playing consecutively will feel repetitious.

I agree, it gives me the feeling when I listen to Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only and All Time High back to back. Then the way A View To A Kill's opening bars jolt you out of a malaise like Bond getting hit with a defibrillator surge in CR!

Similarly that MOR ballad trend started with Nobody Does It Better - just like this current run appears to have been inspired by Skyfall's success (number one in the pop charts, first Bond song Oscar win). The next two are in a similar vein tone wise. All yearning and introspection.
    Makes me look forward to the next Bond tenure to see a new approach.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

“ Like” really?

Ok boomer
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Bish, please. "Ok, boomer" is sooo 2019.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    And being peeved by how an 18 year old talks like is so timeless.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

“ Like” really?

1ptvsf.jpg
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,318
    To really appreciate Billie's minimalistic approach and the quality of the song, please listen through some quality headphones/ speakers and not some tinny micro speaker on your cellphone/ laptop. Only then one can truly judge.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    1. YKMN
    2. SF
    3. NWTD
    4. AWTD
    5. WOTW
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    And being peeved by how an 18 year old talks like is so timeless.

As temping as it is to say yes, I guess i'll say no.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

“ Like” really?

Ok boomer

I wear the label Boomer with a badge of honor. We are supporting most of what came after , and the quality of music, art , movies and scientific advancements of our generation are unparalleled.

Am a Boomer ? Damn straight I am , even if on the edge of Gen X. 😎🤟🏼