NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

RC7 wrote: »
    And I want to say I am quite happy with Barbara's handling of the Bond films.

And I have enjoyed all of Craig's entire tenure. Smart, thought provoking, stunningly filmed Bond movies with strong emotional core and a brilliant, realistically acted Bond. Craig has really lived and breathed Bond. I'm so glad he came along at this time; really happy to have all of his films in this series. His time as Bond has definitely renewed, rejuvenated, and sparked the film series. And this is the right one for Daniel to retire with. I am not concerned about anything at this point. Glad to have it at more than 2 1/2 hrs, too. Thrilled with what I have seen from Cary and Linus. April cannot get here soon enough. B-)

Completely agree with you. There’s a general malaise amongst certain Bond fans who simply want cookie cutter entries every couple of years with a knock off Barry theme and the same format played out ad Infinitum. EON have not always knocked it out of the park and, as is to be expected, they’ve made decisions that certain people vehemently disagree with (I too haven’t always agreed with what they’ve done) but I cannot fault their ambition. They’ve worked hard to maintain Bond as a premium brand within a fluid market and challenged by the huge influx of new kids on the block they’ve done exceptionally well as far as I’m concerned. It cannot be underestimated that Bond is still finding itself trending at the peak of modern media.

Couldn't agree more, @RC7.
    Though I did tweet out some thoughts last night and this morning, wanted to let this marinate a bit before coming up with something more cohesive for this thread haha.

It's really a perfect - imo - bookend to the Craig era and more specifically You Know My Name. Both songs very raw feeling in terms of vocals but they're coming in from opposing POVs - Cornell with the rock representing a younger, more arrogant and rookie Bond, and Eilish's being just two steps beyond Bond in his prime, with the more traditional orchestration. As others have also pointed out - it does sound like a combination of SF and WOTW but I'd argue that's almost intentional...first, the whole notion of this film wrapping up the Craig era, as well as the 'improving on Spectre' aspect. Eilish knocked out of the park what Smith didn't really get 100% last time round. But really the best thing about this - Zimmer and Marr's involvement - is how clearly and deeply it appears to be woven in with whatever happens in the film's opening scenes, as a key part of the narrative in its own right almost. And ultimately that's what it's best judged as rather than some larger context of how it works outside the film. Hence, why I think the criticism of 'it's not bold enough/it doesn't pump you up/too depressing' doesn't make sense because that context within the film - which one can glean from the trailers - is crucial. That being said, though it may just be the lack of time, YKMN and Skyfall both still have an element of being iconic, but I guess time will tell how this will stand up against those. But 100% a stronger song than WOTW and AWTD.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Well said, @antovolk. Can't wait to hear the full soundtrack.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    This song has grown on me over the day. It certainly sticks in one's head, at least the melody does.
    Now I'm quite curious what Kleinman has in store for us.

As someone who initially didn’t like WOTW, I thought the Kleinman sequence was so good that it ended up enhancing the song.

They always do: he even managed to make Die Another Day make sense!
    It's kind of criminal he got dropped for QoS: sometimes you want the producers not to let their directors have so much control! :D

Gawd, I can't imagine how Kleinman would make AWTD bearable. That would have been a true miracle. I was open to MK12 getting a crack at doing the titles in 2008, as I believe variety enriches the franchise. But yeah, that doesn't hold up. So repetitive with the constant sand and gun motifs.

There just weren't any particularly good ideas in there. It's a good song though: I just listened to it just now and it's better than this one.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

And I have enjoyed all of Craig's entire tenure. Smart, thought provoking, stunningly filmed Bond movies with strong emotional core and a brilliant, realistically acted Bond. Craig has really lived and breathed Bond. I'm so glad he came along at this time; really happy to have all of his films in this series. His time as Bond has definitely renewed, rejuvenated, and sparked the film series. And this is the right one for Daniel to retire with. I am not concerned about anything at this point. Glad to have it at more than 2 1/2 hrs, too. Thrilled with what I have seen from Cary and Linus. April cannot get here soon enough. B-)

Completely agree with you. There’s a general malaise amongst certain Bond fans who simply want cookie cutter entries every couple of years with a knock off Barry theme and the same format played out ad Infinitum. EON have not always knocked it out of the park and, as is to be expected, they’ve made decisions that certain people vehemently disagree with (I too haven’t always agreed with what they’ve done) but I cannot fault their ambition. They’ve worked hard to maintain Bond as a premium brand within a fluid market and challenged by the huge influx of new kids on the block and they’ve done it exceptionally well as far as I’m concerned. It cannot be underestimated that Bond is still finding itself trending at the peak of modern media.

Fans just forget that even in the supposedly glory days of Cubby's run there was still division among fans on how well the series was doing at the time. It's not at all like the division only happened once Barbara was promoted as a producing partner with GE. Back in the 1970s/1980s there was a pretty vocal group of fans who were not pleased with the Roger Moore films and thought Cubby was running the series into the ground. Then with Dalton there were those who admired his dedication to Fleming but then there's those who wanted that pure cinematic Bond that Connery evoked that Dalton was just not playing up to.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Completely agree with you. There’s a general malaise amongst certain Bond fans who simply want cookie cutter entries every couple of years with a knock off Barry theme and the same format played out ad Infinitum.

Yeah you're right: I'm kind of surprised. No drama please, Bond meets M, goes to Q branch, flies to bahamas, meets girl 1 who dies, meets baddie, meets girl 2 who he kisses, kills baddie, kisses girl by water; all to the strains of David Arnold doing weak music but it's got trumpets so its good.
    I get that fans are fans because they like how it used to be, but to not acknowledge that they'd complain how awful something like Live and Let Die is today because it changed the formula ever so slightly does surprise me a bit. It doesn't just stay the same. It only got massive because they changed the formula three films in.
    I think it’s a very good song / Bond song. I’ve listened to it several times and it only gets better, and I liked it the first time! Also I think it’s very Bondian-sounding, which several detractors seem to disagree with.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The song actually gave me chills, especially when she first says "Now you'll never see me cry, there's just no time to die..." The song alone made me love the title 10 times more :)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The lyrics are fine, the singing is fine. I just find the melody boring. Hopefully someone will come up with a remixed cover version. As for the comparisons to WOTW, the only version of that song I can listen to is a cover version by a female singer. Sam Smith comes across as a lovely fellow. But I do not like his voice.

I long for the days we had a different end title song, or a different take on the title song for the end titles.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Thought I'd leave these here as well. Quite enjoyed these reactions (Good ol' Calvin) :)

• edited February 2020 Posts: 565
    Now that I've been able to listen to this one properly (and not on my phone' speaker while hidden in the corner of a conference room), I can say that I enjoy this one. I am happy to be proven wrong of Eilish's ability to do Bond and give it justice.

The lyrics are rather clever and well sung, and despite being a Bond song, they actually flow and make sense. I can just picture what Kleinman will do in a few moments:
    "I let it burn" = note burning
    "Faces from my past return" = Safin's mask

There is restraint with this track, which I can appreciate. I also agree with folks that it blends the previous two songs - it has the melancholy isolationism of WOTW with the grandeur instrumentation of SF. And like both, it is weighted and is a bit of a downer (as in sad). And the best of all, it has a few good hooks, that keeps it memorable and me coming back, unlike WOTW.

Definitely a grower.
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    edited February 2020 Posts: 149
    EDIT: Nevermind, I fell for a fake youtube account of Billie Eilish. Fool me once...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I think like Skyfall's this song can be appreciated just as much outside the Bond universe, which I think has become just as important now. Not many people would get the classics up on their Spotify or iTunes, but Skyfall and No Time to Die. Definitely.

I also love how this song is just saying: "You betrayed me. I've been betrayed before, but I'm not gonna cry cause I need to save the world" Haha :D
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Benny wrote: »
    I cant believe I'm saying this but I don't mind it. :-O

Picking my jaw off the floor! :) I was underwhelmed the first time I heard it. It has grown on my. A hear Writing on the Wall influence for sure. I do wish it had grown larger in brassiness or just some more bombast as it went along. It kind of whimpers out. I feel the lyrics tie closely to the plot and seem to highlight the plot points.

Overall I am in the middle with a C+ I was expecting worse.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    My first impression is that I like it – or at least I like it more than Sam Smith’s TWOTW.

Having listened to Eilish’s song several times today, it has really grown on me, especially the orchestration at around two minutes in. And lyrically it could (like YOLT IMO) actually work outside of the context of the film.

That I'd fallen for a lie
    You were never on my side
    Fool me once, fool me twice

……I let it burn, You're no longer my concern

Yelp! I’ve had a couple of (ex) friends that this applies to!!!!

A recent comment on YouTube: “Never will there be so many Bond movie tickets sold to 12 year old girls in oversized sweaters”

BTW: Judging by some of the “reaction” videos, the above comment may be spot on. See:
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,956
    It's like watching someone from the bronze age who hasn't heard a song before.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,661
    It's okay. It's good. It's kinda got that metoo, we hate men opening doors for us, post feminist vibe to it. Sort of post-emo vibe. I'd call it dreary pop . :D Not melancholy pop, but dreary pop.

"Oh life is so hard, no time to live.
    No time to die... life is so pain...ful."

Lana Del Ray has made a career out of dreary pop! :D

After I heard the song I kind wished Amy Winehouse were still alive. She could have been a great Bond singer. I reckon had her career not gone into self-destructive mode she would have done a Craig Bond theme.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,956
    You only 'kind of' wish she were still alive? I'm sure that would be a great comfort to her family :D ;)

But yeah: it's a matter of record that she definitely was working on the theme for Quantum of Solace with Mark Ronson.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Completely agree with you. There’s a general malaise amongst certain Bond fans who simply want cookie cutter entries every couple of years with a knock off Barry theme and the same format played out ad Infinitum.

Yeah you're right: I'm kind of surprised. No drama please, Bond meets M, goes to Q branch, flies to bahamas, meets girl 1 who dies, meets baddie, meets girl 2 who he kisses, kills baddie, kisses girl by water; all to the strains of David Arnold doing weak music but it's got trumpets so its good.
    I get that fans are fans because they like how it used to be, but to not acknowledge that they'd complain how awful something like Live and Let Die is today because it changed the formula ever so slightly does surprise me a bit. It doesn't just stay the same. It only got massive because they changed the formula three films in.
    Agreed. Repeating the formula ad infinitum would only make the series a parody - which is exactly what Star Wars has unfortunately become due to all the memberries and copy-paste stuff. Spectre tried to get back to formula and it kinda resembles a parody - so much so that it copied its main plot twist from Austin Powers, a parody series.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What's memberries?
    I hope this isn't going off topic but I think this song is the greatest Daniel Craig Bond theme that was never used. The chorus and the last minute or so... well, I think it would have been the definitive Craig Bond theme song.

Denbigh wrote: »
    The song actually gave me chills, especially when she first says "Now you'll never see me cry, there's just no time to die..." The song alone made me love the title 10 times more :)

It's doing the same to me now as the orchestra gradually amplifies. Chills. Pretty damn good, really.

I apologize, Billie.

It's an inspired Bond theme.

Eon gets what they want, younger audiences in the seats and the value of Bond & Eilish fans increases many times.

Brilliant.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The song already has nearly 1 million likes...

Adele's Skyfall is only at 2 million right now, with Sam Smith's at 1.5 million. Damn.
    12 million views in 24 hours too.

What's the fastest views record for YouTube? It's not something I typically keep up with, but am curious to see how this compares to others that shoot up.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    12 million views in 24 hours too.

What's the fastest views record for YouTube? It's not something I typically keep up with, but am curious to see how this compares to others that shoot up.
    The theme trailer has also reached 1 million views :)

Also lol at even general audiences agreeing this was good marketing haha :D
    After the negative press NTTD got in it’s early production, they seem to have really turned this around. Reminds me of when CR was in early production and the press couldn’t have possibly been more negative with the fixation over Craig’s hair color, rumors of Craig not driving a stick shift, and other ridiculous tabloid stuff. Then the first trailer came out and it seemed to settle down, then the film comes out and it’s nothing but adoration.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    What's memberries?
    Shoehorned references to previous movies in the saga.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    I don't have a strong opinion on this one. I've listened to it several times now expecting it to grab me but it never really achieves anything; it just sort of exists. That's the most optimism I can muster. I suspect it will work much better within the context of the film.

I don't hate it. I don't love it.
    It's a song, that is my review.
    2000s: Britney Spears
    2010s: Miley Cyrus
    2020s: Billie Eilish!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It's gonna sound so good in the cinema. Cannot wait!!!