NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    I also think the song's lyrics confirm the pre-titles are the Ice Lake (as we already know from clapperboards) and then the Matera scenes - which means we are in for a long pre-title - likely the longest ever.

Seems so. I am a little less convinced that we have the Ice Lake, but I don't see where else that scene would fit, except in some sort of flashback when Madeleine is looking at the mask in the box. Problem is, the way it's filmed (as far as we can tell from trailers), it doesn't look like a flashback, from her POV.

Also, I am not sure we get all of the Matera sequence in the PTS. Somewhere, DC said the film goes back to Matera. The Matera action sequences seem to have two distinct parts: motorcycles/Bond jumping off the bridge and the DB5 chase. And the explosion at the grave precedes all of it.

The song is number 1 trending on Youtube. That seems quite an impressive feat.

Billie Eilish is only 18. That's incredibly young to be singing a Bond theme. She must be the youngest singer? I guess so. Wow. I didn't even know she was American. I thought she was British. You know you're getting old when you don't know who the Bond singers are.

It would be nice to see Shirley Bassey back for the 60th year. Perhaps a special one-off song if there's no Bond film in 2022.
    TripAces wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    I also think the song's lyrics confirm the pre-titles are the Ice Lake (as we already know from clapperboards) and then the Matera scenes - which means we are in for a long pre-title - likely the longest ever.

Seems so. I am a little less convinced that we have the Ice Lake, but I don't see where else that scene would fit, except in some sort of flashback when Madeleine is looking at the mask in the box. Problem is, the way it's filmed (as far as we can tell from trailers), it doesn't look like a flashback, from her POV.

Also, I am not sure we get all of the Matera sequence in the PTS. Somewhere, DC said the film goes back to Matera. The Matera action sequences seem to have two distinct parts: motorcycles/Bond jumping off the bridge and the DB5 chase. And the explosion at the grave precedes all of it.

The Ice Lake clapperboards revealed it to be early scenes, I think Sc 15 was the last part where Safin fires into the ice, so the film opens with the ice lake.

Great news that the song is trending so well. The song will pull in the younger audiences. Eon made a smart choice.

After multiple listens it's grown on me alot. I still don't think it will be remembered as fondly as some others in 20 years, but it's solid and I think it will work really well with the movie.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    00Agent wrote: »
    Cary Fukunaga (via Instagram):

"Billie Eilish has been my number one choice to do this theme song since I came on board this project, 18 months later, I can hardly contain my excitement for this moment. She and Finneas have delivered a spectacular and haunting song that gives me chills every time I listen to it."

Well I guess that says something. If he says it fits the atmosphere of the film, that in itself is a good thing.
  • I like the song. My only gripe is how quiet the first half of the track is. Billie is practically whispering. But at the 2 minute mark it really kicks in and is full on epic Bond. Very good, but not as memorable as Skyfall, but a lot better than Sam Smith's Writing On the Wall.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    The song is pretty good but it does have one noticeable flaw...

The end of the chorus is near idential to Writing's On The Wall. Near exact same melody.

WOTW chorus

"How do I live? How do I breathe?"

repeated in NTTD as

"Fool me once, fool me twice"

WOTW chorus:

"For you I have to risk it all
    'Cause the writing's on the wall"

"Same melody repeated in NTTO

"Now you never see me cry
    There's just no time to die."

Same melody more or less. In this regard the song is a bit disappointing because the chorus mirrors WOTW too much.

NTTD borrows from WOTW and SF, the latter being written with the same chord progression as YKMN and AWTD. I love how all five Craig themes are linked together!
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 3,279
    mtm wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    I've heard it a few times now and I have a firm opinion on it. The song is CRAP! I'm expecting once the dust has settled on this abysmal mess, many will eventually reach the same conclusion.

Meandering, dreary, weak. Yet another song to rival DAD, QoS or SP as the worst songs in the franchise, and it sounds like another Sam Smith TWOTW effort (as if we needed another).

The Babs era is being properly defined now, and her reign boasts the worst songs in the franchise. SF and YKMN are the only exceptions.

Let's hope the film is better than the song (shouldn't be too difficult), but its not looking good. Yet another sign that we are in for SP Part II.

That's a little harsh. :-??

I think he's trying to be provocative. Bit of a running theme.

By having an opinion on a forum? I didn't realise that was being provocative - unless of course you don't agree with my opinion, and think everyone should fall in line with your way of thinking.... ;)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    bondsum wrote: »
    That's kind of like using "triggered" or any other off-the-shelf response. Not very creative or informative. [-X
    I expected more from you @MakeshiftPython.

I could have done "ok boomer".

Besides, never set your expectations in a James Bond forum.
    Ok, Zoomer. With permission, does that mean I can now set my expectations low for NTTD and have them met? :)>-
    NicNac wrote: »
    Just listening to it: it's kind of hilarious in a way. When the verse ends and goes to the chorus you could literally start singing the chorus to Writing's On The Wall and it would fit perfectly :D Try it!
    This is exactly my point as well @mtm. I'm surprised no one else has spotted it, too. The lead-off from that verse is almost identical to TWOTW.

In my head I did start singing the chorus to WOTW - the falsetto part. It does follow a musical pattern. But then big bruising ballads have dominated the last 3 Craig films. This is the least obvious, the least catchy, but the most interesting of the three.
    That's what I was doing @NicNac. I know the current trend in music is to make everything sound homogeneous to the point where it becomes just well-packaged comfort food, but this really does sound like TWOTW Part 2 to my ears. The only major difference is that it's sung by a teenage girl rather than a 23-year-old dude and has Hans Zimmer propping it up.

For the record, I don't think it's terrible. I just don't think it's spectacular enough for a Bond movie.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    It would be ludicrous to have a song akin to Thunderball, Live and Let Die etc for a film with a narrative that this is supposed to have.

By all accounts, Bond is suspicious, betrayed, paranoid, retired - the suspects the woman he has given everything up for has betrayed him etc etc. Some balls out brassy belter singing about how good he is at killing and bedding would be daft.
    Couldn't the same be said of Craig's Bond character in all of his movies, though, so why didn't CR and QoS not have turgid ballads to accompany them? And how do you know it would be "ludicrous to have a song akin to Thunderball, Live and Let Die etc" without having seen the movie yet? Not that I'm saying NTTD has to sound like either. Of course, you could be right and the movie leaves us feeling deeply depressed after seeing it, therefore the song could well be apt. It's far too early to say yet.

Besides, the lyrical content isn't my own personal gripe about Billie's song, it's the congruent nature of the musical themes that seem a direct steal from Sam Smith's song that irk me the most. Do I hate it? No. Do I love it? No again. I just think it's another limp and uninspired offering from the studio is all. At least Sam Smith's was original. This just feels like a recycled retread of its predecessor.

What's a zoomer?

Is it this?

https://www.zoom.co.jp/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,945
    I've heard it a few times now and I have a firm opinion on it. The song is CRAP! I'm expecting once the dust has settled on this abysmal mess, many will eventually reach the same conclusion.

Meandering, dreary, weak. Yet another song to rival DAD, QoS or SP as the worst songs in the franchise, and it sounds like another Sam Smith TWOTW effort (as if we needed another).

The Babs era is being properly defined now, and her reign boasts the worst songs in the franchise. SF and YKMN are the only exceptions.

Let's hope the film is better than the song (shouldn't be too difficult), but its not looking good. Yet another sign that we are in for SP Part II.

By having an opinion on a forum? I didn't realise that was being provocative - unless of course you don't agree with my opinion, and think everyone should fall in line with your way of thinking.... ;)

No, by trying to provoke people with hyperbole.
    We're not continuing this: I'm not interested in folks trying to bait me.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Talking of Smith...their reaction to the song

No, by trying to provoke people. Like you just did there.
    We're not continuing this: I'm not interested in folks trying to bait me.

Lol! And you don't think you were trying to bait me in any way either?

Hypocrite!
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677

Again with the Barbara Broccoli bashing? And this is not being provocative. It's even evocative of one particular member who had almost a persecutory paranoia about it. PS: I know you're not him. As I know you for ages ;) and you couldn't be more of an opposite to said fella.

That being said, how can an era be defined by a 3/5 ratio that is only your opinion? I, for one, didn't care for one of this era's song. That's all. And I didn't care for one of the films. Saying that "the Baby era is being properly defined" negatively is utterly ridiculous. It has been one of the most successful eras since the 60s, filled with quality cast and crew members. It has made billions, it is properly recognised worldwide as a hit run.

But hey, your opinion, which is valid only because its an opinion and these are forums, must be set in stone. And we all should bow to negativism and hail for EON to end and for the film rights to be sold to a soulless multimillion dollar company who'll take a dump on this precious family inheritance.

Again, I only answered because, for all its faults, Barbara Broccoli has been a great producer, one for the History books. DAD, P&W, Sam Smith and brothergate didn't take that notion away from me. Why? Because of all the other good stuff she gave us throughout these years.

I'll be the first one to eat my hat if she casts an horrendous choice for Bond26, or if she keeps the personal angle afloat for another decade or so. I'll be critical, as a fan should. But I won't hate the woman. She's given us plenty.

So, please, ffs, stop with the Babs-Bashes.

Oh sure, the song is not on par with GF, FRWL, SF, GE, LALT, AVTAK, and whatever. But it's not crap. We've had crap five years ago. And the majority of us still call it crap today. But right now, the majority has been rather positive about NTTD.

The "Babs era" gave us GE, CR and SF. That alone should redeem any wrong you pin on Broccoli.

All IMO, of course.

Now get ready for me to come back in 2025 saying she's the worse producer in History :-D

Fandom, right?
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 42
    I just listened to the song on a decent pair of headphones and it's spine tinglingly good. Will certainly be fit for purpose and that being a film theme tune, it will sound refreshingly crisp in the cinema in surround sound too. I can definitely see this working well. A modern day, fitting bond soundtrack to match will blend this song to the emotional film perfectly. To me it sounds like a very well balanced mosaic theme tune, so many layers can be heard through headphones, not heard on the radio (in the car).
  • It has a nice haunting, very Bondian vibe. I am very happy with it. Now that I've heard it a few times. It gets better as it goes, as well. She also proves that she can really hit some "bigger" notes as well as her trademark falsetto.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Nowhere near top 10, or even top 15 Bond songs, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I'm pretty sure it won't be remembered as one of the best, but it's decent and serviceable. Certainly sounds like a Bond song.

A somewhat depressing song was to be expected given the kind of movie NTTD appears to be. The downside is that it's too similar to WOTW, but again, I don't mind it.

For those who were expecting a more upbeat song - whichever way they decide to go with Bond 26, I'm certain the first movie with a new leading man won't be gloomy and dark. Therefore, a song for Bond 26 will most likely be more energetic.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,497

No Time To Insult.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    antovolk wrote: »
    Talking of Smith...their reaction to the song

Well they would think that: it's their song more or less! :D
  • It is a bit similar to "WOTW" but I think it's a dramatic improvement. That song loses all momentum and power as it goes. I despise it. This is a similar song, in some ways, but improves upon it in almost every way.
  • RC7RC7

You seemed a little more upbeat earlier, ‘not bad but not great’, I think you said. I’ve seen this sort of thing with many posts today all over social media - a morass of headless chickens feeling like they need to make some sort of definitive call. Maybe you should sit on it and see how it works in the context of the film?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It is a bit similar to "WOTW" but I think it's a dramatic improvement. That song loses all momentum and power as it goes. I despise it. This is a similar song, in some ways, but improves upon it in almost every way.

It's definitely better, yeah.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I thinks it brilliant. Yes I am a Billie fan anyway, but this is the haunting and melodic theme I was hoping for. Daniel Kleinman’s gonna have a field day with this one :)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    If Bond dies in Swann arms with this melody scoring the scene... well, I don't know, that would be too much to take.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    matt_u wrote: »
    If Bond dies in Swann arms with this melody scoring the scene... well, I don't know, that would be too much to take.

I'd be devastated by this ending. Please EON don't let this happen
    Sat down this morning to hear the song (and Eilish for the very first time), playing through it 4-5 times before I had to do other things. Since then I've completely forgot how it even sounds like. I think it's safe to say it left little impression.

For comparison, I also took time to listen to Kvelertak's new album which was also released today, and despite giving it just a quick listen, I've been humming tracks from that album all day.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I’m very attached to this Bond and if that happened I’d lose it like a four year old. Tears like Niagara Falls.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    peter wrote: »

I’m very attached to this Bond and if that happened I’d lose it like a four year old. Tears like Niagara Falls.

Same here. I even already lost it this morning at 5.30 AM with the bloody song...
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,541
    peter wrote: »

tenor.gif
    Make sure to carry a tissue, even i will :P
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 309
    Perfect launch date, right? The day before/of Valentines Day. Explains why the release was earlier than expected. This will stay in the news cycle for the next four or five days with the Brit Awards on Tuesday.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,554
    The song now was 7.5m views in 17 hours, on Eilish's You Tube page.

Sorry if these updated counts seem unnecessary...I am just thrilled with the response and impressed with CJF's foresight on this. This is a major win for EON and NTTD, no matter what one may say about the song.