NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It's been stuck in my head since it came out. It's honestly a beautiful song, even if I personally expected something with a bit more upbeat.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Ever since the trailer came out and indicated things between Bond and Madeleine wouldn’t be good, I figured an upbeat song was not in the cards.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Ever since the trailer came out and indicated things between Bond and Madeleine wouldn’t be good, I figured an upbeat song was not in the cards.
    I'm speaking more in terms of SF rather than YKMN. NTTD is a pretty downbeat song but wonderful nonetheless.
    Ah, I never thought of SF as being upbeat. Rousing, perhaps.
    It's not, but more so than Eilish's song (if that makes sense).
  • JLDJLD France
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, what do you think about this vocal and multi instrumental cover of the OST?
    jake24 wrote: »
    It's not, but more so than Eilish's song (if that makes sense).

I get it. I certainly wouldn’t call NTTD rousing.
    Felt the same way about NTTD as I did with LALD, DAF, MR, NDIB, NSNA etc. but over the years they have grown on me. Give me Goldfinger or Surrender to get my blood flowing and an instant thumbs up! That said NTTD is haunting, relatable, a grower and will serve the film well. Looking forward to it in the film.
  • Billie Eilish set for first UK Number 1 single with Bond theme No Time To Die
    https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/billie-eilish-set-for-first-uk-number-1-single-with-bond-theme-no-time-to-die__28690/
    billie-eilish-2020-tour-press-1100.jpg?width=796&mode=stretch

Looks like Billie is on track to get the second ever No.1 selling Bond song.....big win for NTTD.
    "Surrender" was awful. It was like listening to a tribute band attempt an original song. I don't blame EON for outright rejecting it, though Cheryl Crow was not much of an improvement!

I don't want another "Goldfinger" or "Thunderball". They were great for the 60s, but the 60s is now 60 years ago.
    "Surrender" was awful. It was like listening to a tribute band attempt an original song. I don't blame EON for outright rejecting it, though Cheryl Crow was not much of an improvement!

I don't want another "Goldfinger" or "Thunderball". They were great for the 60s, but the 60s is now 60 years ago.
    Agreed, although I've always maintained that Crow's TND was underrated. The production on that song is superb.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Agreed, although I've always maintained that Crow's TND was underrated. The production on that song is superb.

I’m a big fan of the TND title track, but Crow was not up to the task. Someone like Whitney Houston or Ann Wilson , of Heart, would have made it a classic.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    For what its worth, my ranking of the DC era theme songs:
    1. YKMN
    2. SF
    3. NTTD
    4. AWTD
    5. WOTW

If nothing else, the release of Eilish’s NTTD has given me an excuse to have the James Bond Themes playing on a loop in my apartment this weekend. Even Madonna’s DAD isn’t half bad in this context.

One issue of note, with this release it seems that the (non-EON) publicity push for NTTD is in full swing – and that’s a good thing. Up until now, my impression was that there wasn’t a lot of internet hype about the new film (i.e., articles about the top Bond movies, songs, etc..) compared to prior films.
  • RC7RC7

Works well with Kleinman’s titles, which are hugely underrated imo. Absolutely love them.
    I rather like TND by sheryl crow.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    Matt007 wrote: »

Same here. I was listening to it yesterday and I said to myself, “Wow, this song really evokes the Bond feel without coming off as desperate.” It’s so 90s and I love the sultriness of Sheryl Crow’s voice. “Surrender” on the other hand... It’s Bond-lite, too much of a pastiche. Though I will say the lyrics are somewhat better than “Tomorrow Never Dies”.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I think, Matt07 was referring to Cheryl Crow. *cough*
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    IMO the melody of Surrender works much better whan used throughout the score, whereas Crow's song works better as the opening song.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Billie Eilish set for first UK Number 1 single with Bond theme No Time To Die
    https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/billie-eilish-set-for-first-uk-number-1-single-with-bond-theme-no-time-to-die__28690/

Looks like Billie is on track to get the second ever No.1 selling Bond song.....big win for NTTD.

What genius looks like...

cary-fukunaga-james-bond-011.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The simplicity of NTTD makes this track progressively better with subsequent listen's. I was sceptical of Eilish though she is clearly a genuine talent.
    Walecs wrote: »
    IMO the melody of Surrender works much better whan used throughout the score, whereas Crow's song works better as the opening song.

I don’t like the melody either. Annoying horns.

wa-wah wah wah wah-wah-wah WAAAAAAHHHHH
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Walecs wrote: »

I don’t like the melody either. Annoying horns.

wa-wah wah wah wah-wah-wah WAAAAAAHHHHH

I think it's brilliant, one of the best actually, but I love a good horn.
    My problem with Crow's TND is that, to me, it evokes a 50's feel instead of a 60's vibe which I thought was inappropriate for 007.

• edited February 2020 Posts: 565
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    octofinger wrote: »
    Now that I've lived with it a bit, my feeling is that it's a good one but won't enter into the all-time greats list.

As I sit here, it occurs to me that I can't really remember the tune to hum it. Whereas, say, LALD . . .

I don't remember how it goes, either. I keep getting WOTW in my head instead.
    Really?
    "That I've fallen for a lie
    You were never on my side..."
    Pretty good hook, along with what follows, IMO.

And I do agree with the parody-ness of Surrender. My wifey makes fun of that song when it comes 'round on my playlist.
  • JamesStock wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    octofinger wrote: »
    Now that I've lived with it a bit, my feeling is that it's a good one but won't enter into the all-time greats list.

As I sit here, it occurs to me that I can't really remember the tune to hum it. Whereas, say, LALD . . .

I don't remember how it goes, either. I keep getting WOTW in my head instead.
    Really?
    "That I've fallen for a lie
    You were never on my side..."
    Pretty good hook, along with what follows, IMO.

And I do agree with the parody-ness of Surrender. My wifey makes fun of that song when it comes 'round on my playlist.

Surrender has always sounded more like pastiche than an actual Bond theme. In fact, that’s a feeling I have about a lot of TND’s score.
    Fantastic new Finneas interview going into the details of how they landed the gig and decisions such as keeping the No Time To Die title
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 2,598
    I certainly like the song (but not love). I wish it were different in two different ways:

When the tempo speeds up and then Eilish sings higher, I wish this section lasted for longer, say another 30 seconds. Secondly, regarding the last traditional Bond note at the end, I do like how the song has this but it sounds like it has too hastily been tacked on. The song should slowly fade into this note and the note should be quieter. Also, she should linger on her last note slightly longer.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think the essence of a good Bond score is for the Composer to follow Barry's style, coz in essence it isn't just Barry's style, it's also the Bond style....it's something a Composer can't run from, except he's preparing to fail, like the last guy....'Surrender' I think, is a modern take on Barry/Bond style and I like that song a lot. Even Non-Bond fans upon hearing it without knowing where the song's from, says it sounds Bond. I think a Composer like Zimmer knows that Barry is Bond & Bond is Barry....and won't repeat the same mistake like the last Composer. Coz to be honest, it's not easy to stray from the Barry/Bond style in a Bond score & still succeed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Billie Eilish set for first UK Number 1 single with Bond theme No Time To Die

She looks like she's about to sneeze. Get her a tissue!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,920
    Matt007 wrote: »

Same here. I was listening to it yesterday and I said to myself, “Wow, this song really evokes the Bond feel without coming off as desperate.” It’s so 90s and I love the sultriness of Sheryl Crow’s voice. “Surrender” on the other hand... It’s Bond-lite, too much of a pastiche. Though I will say the lyrics are somewhat better than “Tomorrow Never Dies”.

I'm really glad to read people saying this: I've always thought Eon made the right choice with that one. TND is at least an original take on the whole thing, and although Surrender is fun it just makes the whole thing feel a bit too self-referential and mocking of itself. Be your own thing, don't try to be someone else.
    I think, Matt07 was referring to Cheryl Crow. *cough*

I don't get it. Who's Cheryl Crow?

Bounine wrote: »
    I certainly like the song (but not love). I wish it were different in two different ways:

When the tempo speeds up and then Eilish sings higher, I wish this section lasted for longer, say another 30 seconds. Secondly, regarding the last traditional Bond note at the end, I do like how the song has this but it sounds like it has too hastily been tacked on. The song should slowly fade into this note and the note should be quieter. Also, she should linger on her last note slightly longer.

I generally find the song decent if uninspired, but I must admit the guitar twang at the end irritates me every so slightly. You can't just stick it on.