NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

jake24 wrote: »
    Do some of you really think the whole film will be Bond spending the entire runtime distraught about Madeleine's betrayal?

The Bond-Madeleine relationship will without a doubt be the emotional heart of the film. But this is a Bond film, and you better believe there will be scenes full of Bond badassery and Craig kicking ass as usual.

The Craig films have always been deeper than any other films in the franchise aside from maybe OHMSS. If you're not expecting emotion or drama then you will end up very disappointed.

+1. We all knew what we were getting with another Craig entry. Like it or not it’s just the direction of his films. I’m down for one more emotional ride so long as the execution is there - that’s all that matters (and IMO what SP lacked). I would prefer the next era take a different direction though - we’ll have to wait and see.
    Do some of you really think the whole film will be Bond spending the entire runtime distraught about Madeleine's betrayal?

The Bond-Madeleine relationship will without a doubt be the emotional heart of the film. But this is a Bond film, and you better believe there will be scenes full of Bond badassery and Craig kicking ass as usual.

The Craig films have always been deeper than any other films in the franchise aside from maybe OHMSS. If you're not expecting emotion or drama then you will end up very disappointed.

There do seem to be several shots in the trailer with Bond appearing downbeat. That said, if this is indeed a longer Bond film we're bound be have some fun Craig/Bond bad ass moments. For the sake of variety, I just wish the trailer showed a few more moments of Craig's charm.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    ToTheRight wrote: »

There do seem to be several shots in the trailer with Bond appearing downbeat. That said, if this is indeed a longer Bond film we're bound be have some fun Craig/Bond bad ass moments. For the sake of variety, I just wish the trailer showed a few more moments of Craig's charm.
    If you're talking about the video with new footage and Eilish's track, then you needn't worry. It's just meant to show clips that compliment the songs lyrics, it's not meant as an embodiment of the film.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    Contraband wrote: »

Best TV spot we’ve had and a welcome surprise, didn’t see them releasing this with the song. The cinematography looks excellent and the shots and angles look brilliant!! The shot when Bond walks in on a sleeping Madeline from the balcony with the sun behind him, classy !!

Song blends well with this teaser. I’m happier with the teaser than the song but it’s early days and I give more context to my comments in relation to the song in the relevant thread.

Hopefully we can rapidly move through the marketing gears now and really push on now. Exciting times ahead

🍸
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2020 Posts: 10,586
    Just as a side note, can the Madeleine detractors agree that her character looks significantly less dull in this film compared to the last?
  • My God, all of this negativity....can’t we just rejoice that we finally have a new Bond movie after a VERY LONG four and a half years??
    I appreciate each and every one, good and not so good.
    I know that we all have our own opinions and everyone is free to express them, however let’s just bask in the glow of a brand new 007 film and say goodbye and thank you to DC for all that he’s done for the franchise.
    Just as a side note, can the Madeleine detractors agree that her character looks significantly less dull in this film compared to the last?

I always thought while no Tracy or Vesper, she was decent in SP, but NTTD looks like it’s definitely going to make her way more interesting.
    Yeah everything looks way better and a step up from Spectre. Almolst like a redo in a sense.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Bond will always be Bond, no matter the shade... The DC era has, unfortunately for some, cast a very wide shade (almost bigger than Connery's)... You may not like it-- and that's fine with most rationally minded people.

But Craig is still James Bond.

He is part of an important part of the history (if Connery was the Golden Era then Craig, in most eyes, is the Silver).

And that may not be the way you see it or it may not be your cup of tea.

If this is not your shade, there are so many other Bond films to choose from to enjoy, so...--

Why waste your time in coming on a forum again and again and again to represent the "disappointed" of this era? We got it the first 3000 times. Why keep saying the same thing?

Hell, it didn't float your boat for 14-15 years. That sucks. Honestly...

I know a few fans who love the era and DETEST SPECTRE (looking at you @Shardlake !!!), but they accept the distaste they have for B24 and have moved on (it doesn't seem to taint the other films, nor the optimism of the new Bond film).

So honestly, to those uncomfortable or grouchy or angry about NTTD : can we just be happy that this is the last of this era (for fans and non-fans alike-- surely we share this in common???), it's DONE.

A few years from now a new Bond will be chosen. A new film will be gearing up. Your new era is coming. Why waste breath on something you've made very clearly (many times over, repeating the same things, many times over)? You hate Spectre? Fine! That was five years ago. A new film is here. Hopefully it'll be better in your eyes. But even if not, at the end of its run time, you will know that James Bond will be back in (hopefully), an era that you will approve of (but know it'll tick-off a large precent of other fans).

Can't win 'em all.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Yeah everything looks way better and a step up from Spectre. Almolst like a redo in a sense.

Interesting, my daughter’s reaction to the song was “ it was what Sam Smith was trying to do ; of the film it could be said, ‘ it was what Mendes was trying to do’.
    Maybe Spectre will get better praise if NTTD gets good reception.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Maybe Spectre will get better praise if NTTD gets good reception.

It may be the inverse of CR and QoS.

Pretty much like Mendes said recently, you can never win and please everyone when making a bond film
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 2,594
    I like Madeline’s smile when she is in the water and the way Bond looks at her. I hope they don’t skimp on the character movement by cutting stuff out. They need to put in everything they’ve filmed to at least do some justice to the shallow relationship in Spectre if you could even call it a relationship.

I guess the people who don’t want emotion are the people who don’t like or have never read the Fleming books. The Bond of the books is much more of a real man than the one dimensional portrayal of the character in many of the earlier films. Personally, I prefer the former.
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    edited February 2020 Posts: 198
    Bounine wrote: »
    I like Madeline’s smile when she is in the water and the way Bond looks at her. I hope they don’t skimp on the character movement by cutting stuff out. They need to put in everything they’ve filmed to at least do some justice to the shallow relationship in Spectre if you could even call it a relationship.

I guess the people who don’t want emotion are the people who don’t like or have never read the Fleming books. The Bond of the books is much more of a real man than the one dimensional portrayal of the character in many of the earlier films. Personally, I prefer the latter.

This! I hope we get to spend a bit of time with Madeline and Bond together to strengthen the relationship and to make whatever happens later more impactful
    From the looks of it, Madeline's role may be expanded enough that redeems the debatable lack of chemistry from the last film.
    silva13 wrote: »

I guess the people who don’t want emotion are the people who don’t like or have never read the Fleming books. The Bond of the books is much more of a real man than the one dimensional portrayal of the character in many of the earlier films. Personally, I prefer the latter.

This! I hope we get to spend a bit of time with Madeline and Bond together to strengthen the relationship and to make whatever happens later more impactful

I meant to say, “I prefer the former.” :)

Sam Smith’s new single is coming out soon. Coincidence in terms of timing? :)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 12,914
    [I took it that way.]
    The Bond of the books is much more of a real man than the one dimensional portrayal of the character in many of the earlier films. Personally, I prefer the latter.
    Yeah, @Bounine, that reminds me of an exchange of comments regarding MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. Paraphrasing here.

A: Why is the Mad Max character being unusually emotional, very out of character. Why did the filmmakers (George Miller himself, really) do that? [He's supposed to be just a killer, a vigilante.]
    B: Well, I like the Mad Max film where he was thoughtful, sensitive and emotionally introspective.
    A: Which one was that?!?
    B: The first one!

We like what we like. But really it's a staple of the Bond character he's confronted with emotion at times, and quickly resumes his mission. Not so complicated. And usually great storytelling.

I like the new song but when they have the classic Bond note at the end, I wish the song would fade into this. It sounds a little less natural and quickly tacked on how it is.

I’d be surprised if Zimmer didn’t make a love theme with this tune. I miss the flute like Barry gave us in The Living Daylights.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,126
    I think we can agree now that he is dr.no look at those eyes not being racist obviously you can really tell now. I took a screenshot. http://imgur.com/a/LfvhOQA
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    matt_u wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    It's a favorite theme EON plays with, and it's from Fleming. I do think they should retire it for the next actor.

Yeah I completely agree, I think that thread of has run it's course. I was wincing initially when I heard that "the world has moved on" line. I thought we were done with that after Spectre. It just feels odd looking back when Daniel was brought on in 2006 he was a "rookie" 00, gets his license to kill and since Quantum he's been over the hill and no longer relevant. It does become tiring

I think we have to read his tenure as
    1. He is promoted to 00 status in his mid to late 30s.
    2. '00s have a very short life expectancy' so no one expects many years out of him at this level.
    3. By his mid 40s he has already outlived most 00s and at that age he is already slightly over the hill. So, even if he has only done a couple of useful assignments he is already nearer the end than the beginning when we arrive at SF.
    4. In SP he is back to his best, but retires anyway. As any 00 surely would.

Bond is 39 in SF, if we assume the film was set in 2012.

Bond was 12 when Hannes took him, and it was in 1985.

Yes you're right, it was a 3 not a 5 just checked. Craig's Bond was Born in 1983 not 1985.

Adopted in '83. If Craig Bond was born in 83 he'd be only 37 now!

In SP records show Craig Bond was born in 1971, which would mean he'll be pushing 50 in NTTD.

Yeah my mistake. Adopted in ‘83 when he was 12 years old.
    talos7 wrote: »

Interesting, my daughter’s reaction to the song was “ it was what Sam Smith was trying to do ; of the film it could be said, ‘ it was what Mendes was trying to do’.

Yes the song reminds me of TWOTW in its low key approach. I am one of those who never minded Sam Smith's effort though.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Yes the song reminds me of TWOTW in its low key approach. I am one of those who never minded Sam Smith's effort though.

I didn’t mind the low key approach and I thought the orchestration was beautiful, but the falsetto was grating and I don’t think was the right voice for a song that was seemingly written from Bond’s perspective.
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    Just noticed that it will be the very 1st time that we will see James Bond break up with a Bond girl, very unusual Bond film already...
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,000
    duke_togo wrote: »
    Just noticed that it will be the very 1st time that we will see James Bond break up with a Bond girl, very unusual Bond film already...

Something we only really got catching up with Bond in the FRWL novel after he and Tiffany Case broke up. I’m actually really glad this is the route they’re taking with Madeleine, rather than just making her a Tracy 2.0 that has to be fridged.
    duke_togo wrote: »

Something we only really got catching up with Bond in the FRWL novel after he and Tiffany Case broke up. I’m actually really glad this is the route they’re taking with Madeleine, rather than just making her a Tracy 2.0 that has to be fridged.

+1.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    After listening to the title song and watching the new footage they released along side it; I have come to the conclusion that Matera HAS to take place during the pretitle sequence. You don't play that song before Bond and Madeleine have parted ways.

Which also makes me think that the flashback sequence will be revealed later in the film.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    After listening to the title song and watching the new footage they released along side it; I have come to the conclusion that Matera HAS to take place during the pretitle sequence. You don't play that song before Bond and Madeleine have parted ways.

I have the same feeling. It's basically confirmed, not just because of the spoilery lyrics, but from an emotional standpoint this songs is just designed to resonate with the emotions of the Matera finale, after the break up.
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    Given from what has been scene from behind the scenes filming and this newest trailer. I think it's safe to presume the opening pre titles could be the longest. There is alot going on for it to be just a 15-20 min affair especially if they are showing slice of life with bond and Madeline. The 3 hour rumor honestly at this point seem more plausible at this stage and would very much welcome it.
    The Matera sequences will basically be a short film, with a unique emotional trajectory, within the film.