NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I am an Indian man and every language other than my own is flawed :P

Was octopussy shot in your city? That must have been really cool if it was. That would be the coolest thing to have Bond come to your backyard sort to say.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,541
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Was octopussy shot in your city? That must have been really cool if it was. That would be the coolest thing to have Bond come to your backyard sort to say.

No i live in Kolkata, OP was shot at Udaipur. Different City different state still Beautiful city.
    As a bond fan yes that was really cool to see bond film shot in my country.
    I am in Bengal right now @Ressurection. Just the other bit - Dhaka.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,126

No i live in Kolkata, OP was shot at Udaipur. Different City different state still Beautiful city.

Ok India looks so beautiful that's one place EON should return same with Egypt they should return there too.
    Getafix wrote: »

Damn, you should have visited to Kolkata @Getafix it's a metropolitan city and far better in terms of facilities and lots places for foreigners to visit. Still two places that you should visit "Bhawal National Park" and "Limestone lake,netrokana" in Dhaka. Both are breathtaking.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTio2_rayPAeCRpQdEqAt_o0j0TJdJiKgH2Fv3-0SIW0SrIWnrv
    Wish we could have met, haven't met any forum members yet, although it would be difficult for me to come there at the moment as it is still a different country. How long will you be in Dhaka?

Ok India looks so beautiful that's one place EON should return same with Egypt they should return there too.

PTS of SF was supposed to be shot in India but due to some inconvenience that didn't happened. As much as I want to, it would be an heck of issue for the crew to shoot here, but things have changed quite a lot since 2011.
    Still there is hope but even if they shoot in India it won't be the main location like OP & every other bond film had before. Now that I come to think of it Craig era didn't really had much main location, the way it used to serve it's purpose in terms of narration.
    CR had Montenegro
    QOS had Bolivia
    SF had London
    SP should have been Morocco instead it was again London.
    Didn’t mean to cause quite a stir. Perhaps o should of said the Chinese man.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Didn’t mean to cause quite a stir. Perhaps o should of said the Chinese man.

Seems it was me that caused the stir.

Now let's move past this, and continue the more important task of sorting out whether Blofeld says "Him", or "You".
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Lol this is worse than when we thought Jesper Christensen called Bond a... you know what... in the Spectre teaser haha :D Wow that was nearly five years ago...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Denbigh wrote: »
    This is worse than we thought Jesper Christensen Bond a... you know what.

Sorry, can't understand what you're trying to say here.

EDIT: Thanks :D
    Birdleson wrote: »

Damn, you should have visited to Kolkata @Getafix it's a metropolitan city and far better in terms of facilities and lots places for foreigners to visit. Wish we could have met, haven't met any members of forum yet, although it would be difficult for me to come there at the moment as it is still a different country. How long will you be in Dhaka?

It will be our first MI6 India meet-up, I think.

Any member of MI6 is most welcome here :) .
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,185

Damn, you should have visited to Kolkata @Getafix it's a metropolitan city and far better in terms of facilities and lots places for foreigners to visit. Wish we could have met, haven't met any members of forum yet, although it would be difficult for me to come there at the moment as it is still a different country. How long will you be in Dhaka?

I'll take you up on that offer some day ;) Maybe i can combine it with a Udaipur visit as that is high on my list as well.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I may end up hating big chunks of NTTD for all of the bringing up Bond’s, and other characters’, past, or because all of the ties back to SP, or Bond losing his 00, or maybe I’ll love the whole thing.
    But,

“I have made you redundant.”
    “Not as long as there are people like you in the world.”

is worth the entirety of SP and then some! I’m satisfied.

It is indeed a great line.

What could be problematic with it is the rehashing of the theme of Bond not longer being needed, and him having to prove himself again. Another indication of this could be the 'world has moved on, commander' line.

I hope these are just lines though, and they won't be exploring the theme any further.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It's a favorite theme EON plays with, and it's from Fleming. I do think they should retire it for the next actor.
    00Agent wrote: »

I'll take you up on that offer some day ;) Maybe i can combine it with a Udaipur visit as that is high on my list as well.

Definitely :D

Damn, you should have visited to Kolkata @Getafix it's a metropolitan city and far better in terms of facilities and lots places for foreigners to visit. Still two places that you should visit "Bhawal National Park" and "Limestone lake,netrokana" in Dhaka. Both are breathtaking.
    Wish we could have met, haven't met any forum members yet, although it would be difficult for me to come there at the moment as it is still a different country. How long will you be in Dhaka?

Already left. In Dubai now. I've been to Kolkata a couple of times. Like it a lot.

Already left. In Dubai now. I've been to Kolkata a couple of times. Like it a lot.

Let me know when you visit next time here, will arrange a meet, enjoy Dubai ;)
    "Him".
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It's a favorite theme EON plays with, and it's from Fleming. I do think they should retire it for the next actor.

Yeah I completely agree, I think that thread of has run it's course. I was wincing initially when I heard that "the world has moved on" line. I thought we were done with that after Spectre. It just feels odd looking back when Daniel was brought on in 2006 he was a "rookie" 00, gets his license to kill and since Quantum he's been over the hill and no longer relevant. It does become tiring
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Yeah I completely agree, I think that thread of has run it's course. I was wincing initially when I heard that "the world has moved on" line. I thought we were done with that after Spectre. It just feels odd looking back when Daniel was brought on in 2006 he was a "rookie" 00, gets his license to kill and since Quantum he's been over the hill and no longer relevant. It does become tiring

I think we have to read his tenure as
    1. He is promoted to 00 status in his mid to late 30s.
    2. '00s have a very short life expectancy' so no one expects many years out of him at this level.
    3. By his mid 40s he has already outlived most 00s and at that age he is already slightly over the hill. So, even if he has only done a couple of useful assignments he is already nearer the end than the beginning when we arrive at SF.
    4. In SP he is back to his best, but retires anyway. As any 00 surely would.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,513
    @NicNac yeah mate, that's a really good summing up

I do wish we would have got a film in between QOS and SF, just one film to show Bond at his best. Without the whole "I need to know I can trust you" and is "MI6 relevant" storyline (although that worked very well in Skyfall)
    It's only a minor gripe admittedly, sorry to derail the thread
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,343
    NicNac wrote: »

2. '00s have a very short life expectancy' so no one expects many years out of him at this level.
    3. By his mid 40s he has already outlived most 00s and at that age he is already slightly over the hill. So, even if he has only done a couple of useful assignments he is already nearer the end than the beginning when we arrive at SF.

Bond is 39 in SF, if we assume the film was set in 2012.

Bond was 12 when Hannes took him, and it was in 1985.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I may end up hating big chunks of NTTD for all of the bringing up Bond’s, and other characters’, past, or because all of the ties back to SP, or Bond losing his 00, or maybe I’ll love the whole thing.
    But,

What could be problematic with it is the rehashing of the theme of Bond not longer being needed, and him having to prove himself again. Another indication of this could be the 'world has moved on, commander' line.

I hope these are just lines though, and they won't be exploring the theme any further.
    Am I the only one who thinks “redundant” has to do with cloning? Isn’t that Safin’s big scheme? Essentially Safin has cloned Bond, one that is on his payroll and will do his bidding. Meaning the REAL Bond is now redundant. I mean that’s the first thing I thought when I heard that line. Cloning. I didn’t even think about the theme of “the world has moved on”. Been there, done that. This film is really supposed to shake things up. This film will change everything, remember??? So redundant meaning that Bond is a relic and the world has moved on is not only rehashing the same old theme but it’s also incredibly underwhelming. If that’s all that line means. It’s gotta mean a WHOLE LOT MORE!!!
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    But,

Am I the only one who thinks “redundant” has to do with cloning? Isn’t that Safin’s big scheme? Essentially Safin has cloned Bond, one that is on his payroll and will do his bidding. Meaning the REAL Bond is now redundant.

I don't think they would go that far.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    But,

Am I the only one who thinks “redundant” has to do with cloning? Isn’t that Safin’s big scheme? Essentially Safin has cloned Bond, one that is on his payroll and will do his bidding. Meaning the REAL Bond is now redundant.

I don't think they would go that far.
    I think they would and probably did. We’re already assuming that he cloned Madeleine. At least that’s what many here are speculating. So why not Bond?

If cloning, I assume Safin is speaking theoretically, that having the ability to clone makes Bond redundant, rather than we’ll have a literal clone that Bond has to fight.
    If cloning, I assume Safin is speaking theoretically, that having the ability to clone makes Bond redundant, rather than we’ll have a literal clone that Bond has to fight.

Umm
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS4JpUgFQRuhFX3AzkapLtaNOM-izbnntJPRWIjoG_lVMUk9XfW
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    matt_u wrote: »

Funny, the same year OCTOPUSSY came out.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Funny, the same year OCTOPUSSY came out.

I was thinking the same thing.