NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    matt_u wrote: »
    The Matera sequences will basically be a short film, with a unique emotional trajectory, within the film.

That's the vibe I'm getting. Here's how I think it will play out:

Studio logos, no gun barrel.
    Safin chasing the young girl at the cabin, five minutes, no dialogue.
    GUN BARREL. 25 years later.
    Opening with Bond in Matera, lasts 15 minutes to give us enough of them living a peaceful life before it all falls apart with the action. Ends with a Bond feeling betrayed.
    Pre-titles play.
    Rest of the movie.

You heard it here first.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,343
    The Matera sequences will basically be a short film, with a unique emotional trajectory, within the film.

Opening with Bond in Matera, lasts 15 minutes to give us enough of them living a peaceful life before it all falls apart with the action. Ends with a Bond feeling betrayed.
    Pre-titles play.
    Rest of the movie.

You heard it here first.

I'd love that. Since every Craig film offered different interpretations of the classic pattern it would make sense. But there's still a strong possibility that the film will open with the first classic gunbarrell of the Craig era, fading directly in the snow forest scene of Safin approaching the cabin, with a scene of Madeleine waking up from that snowy nightmare tying the two scenes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Garth007 wrote: »
    Given from what has been scene from behind the scenes filming and this newest trailer. I think it's safe to presume the opening pre titles could be the longest. There is alot going on for it to be just a 15-20 min affair especially if they are showing slice of life with bond and Madeline. The 3 hour rumor honestly at this point seem more plausible at this stage and would very much welcome it.

He has an awful lot to get done that day when he’s got the tan suit on:
    • Go to cemetery and tear a note
    • Have a big car chase
    • Pull Madeline into a building (hotel?)
    • Have a fist fight
    • Have a motorbike chase
    • Jump off a bridge

No wonder he needs a Jamaican holiday.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I think the new short trailer confirms that that is Maddie under the ice.

Pre-titles play.
    Rest of the movie.

You heard it here first.

Sounds feasible. Could even go the Marvel route and have the Safin bit before the logos.
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    I have a feeling the ice lake house scene will play out and then have the main titles as a foreshadow. And that way the scenes in Matera will be less rushed. If they do happen to put all the maddy/ Bond stuff before the titles then perhaps flashbacks will be used later for stuff like the swimming scene etc. Just thoughts.
    FourDot wrote: »

Pre-titles play.
    Rest of the movie.

You heard it here first.

Sounds feasible. Could even go the Marvel route and have the Safin bit before the logos.

Marvel was just what I was thinking, hence having the gun barrel happen midway through the pre-title to break up the time gap.

Also good to see an old familiar face @FourDot :-h
  • matt_u wrote: »

Pre-titles play.
    Rest of the movie.

You heard it here first.

I was thinking this may be the case as well for a while....we get a brief preclude prior to the title.

Basically, a pre-pre-title sequence.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    The idea of Bond going through an emotional journey and coming full circle has been an ongoing theme for the Craig era since Quantum of Solace and I personally am looking forward to turning the page with Bond 26. That being said I am looking forward to seeing how No Time To Die completes the Craig saga.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada

Pre-titles play.
    Rest of the movie.

You heard it here first.

I think the most likely scenario would be to have Madeline confront the mask and/or Safin/Blofeld and retell the experience later in the film.

Having it take place earlier would force you to either give away too much or leave you explaining it away later anyway, both being less efficient.

Pre-titles play.
    Rest of the movie.

You heard it here first.

Marvel was just what I was thinking, hence having the gun barrel happen midway through the pre-title to break up the time gap.

Also good to see an old familiar face @FourDot :-h

Glad there's still Bond films to be worried/hyped about!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,980
    Getafix wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Yeah everything looks way better and a step up from Spectre. Almolst like a redo in a sense.

Interesting, my daughter’s reaction to the song was “ it was what Sam Smith was trying to do ; of the film it could be said, ‘ it was what Mendes was trying to do’.

Yes the song reminds me of TWOTW in its low key approach. I am one of those who never minded Sam Smith's effort though.

I didn’t mind the low key approach and I thought the orchestration was beautiful, but the falsetto was grating and I don’t think was the right voice for a song that was seemingly written from Bond’s perspective.

Exactly...

• duke_togoduke_togo france
    The melody of the song is very lullaby-y, childhood will probably have a huge part in the movie , I would not be surprised if there's a music box or something with that melody at some point.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 871

Pre-titles play.
    Rest of the movie.

You heard it here first.

I don't think the gunbarrel will be placed after the ice chase.
    It may not be at the beginning, but then it has to come right after a scene in which Bond is present.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    silva13 wrote: »
    I have a feeling the ice lake house scene will play out and then have the main titles as a foreshadow. And that way the scenes in Matera will be less rushed. If they do happen to put all the maddy/ Bond stuff before the titles then perhaps flashbacks will be used later for stuff like the swimming scene etc. Just thoughts.

Matera will be part of the PTS, Maddy put on the train is obvious pretty much dead cert scene to end on to fade into the titles.

If it isn't I'll eat my hat.
    • Logo into Gun barrel
    • Iris opens on Maddy and Safin Norway Scene.
    • At the pivotal moment in that scene it will shake Maddy out of a dream/recollection from the past and we see her in the Matera hotel room and with Bond.
    • Then it goes into a mini montage or just collection of scenes of them enjoying themselves and appearing in love and happy (like seen in that new mini trailer for the song).
    • Then something will happen leading to Bond going to the cemetery into the action sequence.
    • This will finish at the train station.
    • Bond puts Maddy on the train and lead into Billie's song.

It will be something like this or more like @MakeshiftPython said.

Matera will not come after the titles I pretty much guarantee it, that song is set up with those lyrics and mood to come after Matera not before.

All the past stuff will be done and dusted by the time the main titles kick in, there might be some brief flashbacks possibly but nothing like a whole scene like Matera.

Yep most likely longest PTS of the series or competing with TWINE if not.

What @MakeshiftPython sounds feasible and I like it, although my thought is that it will play out like this. Although the GB after Maddy and Safin and iris opens on Matera sounds great and quite unique and in a way a call back to how it all started with CR's main titles.

Either of those I would be happy with.
  • Willing to bet the film opens with the logos for MGM and Universal and we are immediately thrown into the lake sequence. It'll be a brief 3-5 minute affair.

c4c306ceb33f8c020f2405e23580d2c8eea3613f.gifv
    67079f89b38eac356eeb47e1863490b0cf429fd3.gifv

Then cut to black. Immediately we go into the gunbarrel:

IdioticLameAbalone-size_restricted.gif

Then we have the Matera scenes:

james-bond-no-time-to-die-trailer.gif

Then Billie Eilish's song....which pretty much focuses on the relationship and fallout between Bond and Madeleine.

I think it could be a good 20-25 minutes before the titles - which explains why the film is close to 3 hours long!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Shardlake wrote: »

Matera will be part of the PTS, Maddy put on the train is obvious pretty much dead cert scene to end on to fade into the titles.

• Logo into Gun barrel
    • At the pivotal moment in that scene it will shake Maddy out of a dream/recollection from the past and we see her in the Matera hotel room and with Bond.
    • Then it goes into a mini montage or just collection of scenes of them enjoying themselves and appearing in love and happy (like seen in that new mini trailer for the song).
    • Then something will happen leading to Bond going to the cemetery into the action sequence.

Matera will not come after the titles I pretty much guarantee it, that song is set up with those lyrics and mood to come after Matera not before.

All the past stuff will be done and dusted by the time the main titles kick in, there might be some brief flashbacks possibly but nothing like a whole scene like Matera.

What @MakeshiftPython sounds feasible and I like it, although my thought is that it will play out like this. Although the GB after Maddy and Safin and iris opens on Matera sounds great and quite unique and in a way a call back to how it all started with CR's main titles.

Another thing that's interesting is that Dali's henchman, if he plays a pivotal part in the plot later on, will have spent five years in the story trying to kill Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I agree @Pierce2Daniel

I think it makes sense to have all the scenes that are in the "past" before the credits, so that after the credits, the whole film is present day.
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I agree @Pierce2Daniel

I think it makes sense to have all the scenes that are in the "past" before the credits, so that after the credits, the whole film is present day.

Which would be sound if it weren’t for the next time jump to Bond bitter in Jamaica.

I offer this as an idea (even though I was sure that the train would take us into the titles).

What about
    Logos
    Ice Lake
    Gun barrel
    Romance in Italy with a hint of suspicion (Bond watching her sleep).
    Vespers Tomb - EXPLOSION - Bond bewildered and dazed.

Main titles

All action scenes in Matera

Train

5 years later

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    So when do you think we'll get another trailer?
    I don't recall the last time we had a Bond film in which we had to speculate so much where the PTS took place, or what scenes where in the PTS.
    If I remember correctly we certainly knew the Day of the Dead Mexico City bit was the PTS, and Istanbul was SKYFALL's.
    Personally I’d just prefer the gunbarrel at the very start, the first scene in Norway/brief PTS, then the main titles + song and then the Matera sequence through the end of the film, but we very well may get a very extended PTS with Matera and more messing with the gunbarrel.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada

Pre-titles play.
    Rest of the movie.

You heard it here first.

Forget my previous post, after some more thought I have to agree with you.

Having the ice lake take place before the gunbarrel makes sense; it sets up the mystery surrounding Madeline's possible betrayal. Without it the audience has no context as to why she might betray Bond in the pretitle sequence.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    We're not gonna see Bond arrive in Jamaica. He's just gonna have been there for five years, and I think that'll be after the credits, and I think the kidnapping will be before that because of Felix so my ultimate guess is either...

Gunbarrel
    Norway - Madeleine as a child
    Matera - Bond and Madeleine romance/car chase/motorbike chase/train/all of it
    Title Sequence
    London? - kidnapping of the scientist/M asks for 007, cut to -
    Jamaica - Bond has been living here. Felix puts Bond on the case, and we meet Nomi who was actually the 007 M asked for in the previous scene.
    And then the rest of the locations that we know kinda where they'll fall.

The only way I could see it differing from that would be the Norway flashback happening during the Matera sequences, maybe the balcony scene.

For me it also would just make sense to have a bit of time between Matera and Jamaica to make us as the audience have a bit of time without Bond. The same way Skyfall did, with M's scenes before showing where Bond's been.

And the issue with having the gunbarrel after Norway is that how do you tie those together? Bond isn't even in those Norway scenes as far as we know? So they couldn't do a CR type thing.
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    Shardlake wrote: »

• Logo into Gun barrel

Yes that actually sounds pretty good. I'm excited to see it play out on screen and I really do hope the train window scene falls into the title. It feels old fashioned but not cliche.
  • I'm betting on:

Gunbarrel
    Norway/Ice Lake (Swann flashback / dream)
    Swann wakes up in the car
    Bond and Swann enter Matera
    Go to hotel
    Swimming
    Swann burns her paper
    Night
    Bond leaves at sunrise to grave
    Bond burns his paper at the grave, gets ambushed
    Foot chase + bike + bridge
    Bond gets to Swann and DB5
    Car chase
    Bond puts Swann on train
    Main Titles
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,025
    As much as I prefer the gun barrel being the first thing we see, I can actually roll with the idea of that happening in the middle of the PTS breaking the gap between years with Norway and Matera. In a sense, the proper gun barrel doesn't come up until we actually get our first scene with Bond (sure, LALD and TMWTGG went with the GB anyway, but that doesn't matter, those movies are pre-historic and your childhood is dead and rotting).

The only thing I would NOT want when it comes to the gun barrel is reserving it at the end. That's non-negotiable. You can start the move with it, use it to break two time periods, or even have it transition into the title sequence like CR excellently did, but ABSOLUTELY NO to putting it at the end.
    TheBondFan wrote: »
    I'm betting on:

Gunbarrel
    Norway/Ice Lake (Swann flashback / dream)
    Swann wakes up in the car
    Bond and Swann enter Matera
    Go to hotel
    Swimming
    Swann burns her paper
    Night
    Bond leaves at sunrise to grave
    Bond burns his paper at the grave, gets ambushed
    Foot chase + bike + bridge
    Bond gets to Swann and DB5
    Car chase
    Bond puts Swann on train
    Main Titles

I quite like that scenario.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Guys, don't take the song as any indication of what the film's structure will be like. Remember, Sheryl Crow's TND and Garbage's TWINE are told from Paris' and Elektra's perspectives and those songs feature in their respective films before either character is even introduced.

I highly doubt Cary will bend the structure that much.

Gunbarrel
    Norway
    Titles
    Matera
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I know I've already said this in some way, but I just feel to have the title sequence break up the timeline, so that everything following the credits is present day, is the best option for this. We have the title sequence and the kidnapping of the scientist before we meet Bond again in Jamaica, so that the audience in some way can feel that gap between Matera and Jamaica.