DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

Social media reactions for Birds of Prey will arrive this Saturday, January 25th. Full review embargo will be lifted next Wednesday, January 29th (9 days before release).

can a ban on it being released go into effect lol

I will be shocked if the reviews are positive,.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I didn't even realize this was coming out in a few weeks.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,690
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Love it. This film is shaping up to be quite brilliant :)
    so Penguin Riddler and catwoman as the villains... sure why use unused villains like Mad Hatter Clayface or Hush

its not like any batman movie was successful with unused villains ( Batman Forever Batman Begins etc) sigh

I will still watch this but my hype level is sooooooo low on this one which is weird cause I am neither dc nor marvel I am simply a Batman fan only ( I enjoy some other characters Captain America, Blade, Punisher, Moon Knight, Green Arrow, Daredevil, The Batfamily, etc) but for the most part 99% of my comic book purchases are Batman
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Risico007 wrote: »
    so Penguin Riddler and catwoman as the villains... sure why use unused villains like Mad Hatter Clayface or Hush

its not like any batman movie was successful with unused villains ( Batman Forever Batman Begins etc) sigh

I will still watch this but my hype level is sooooooo low on this one which is weird cause I am neither dc nor marvel I am simply a Batman fan only ( I enjoy some other characters Captain America, Blade, Punisher, Moon Knight, Green Arrow, Daredevil, The Batfamily, etc) but for the most part 99% of my comic book purchases are Batman

Well, wasn't there a rumour that Reeves was pulling story elements from The Long Halloween? If that's the case then Penguin and Catwoman aren't going to be the main adversaries. Sarsgaard has been cast as Harvey Dent, so....
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,541

Same, neither a marvel nor a DC fan. I am a Batman fan as well but film could be fairly decent from what the cast and directors are being shown.

Well, wasn't there a rumour that Reeves was pulling story elements from The Long Halloween? If that's the case then Penguin and Catwoman aren't going to be the main adversaries. Sarsgaard has been cast as Harvey Dent, so....
    Collider says it´s gil Colson, not Harvey Dent:
    https://collider.com/the-batman-peter-sarsgaard-character-name/

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    boldfinger wrote: »

Collider says it´s gil Colson, not Harvey Dent:
    https://collider.com/the-batman-peter-sarsgaard-character-name/

Ah, my mistake. Thanks @boldfinger
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,869
    A lot of the characters have been named now @CraigMooreOHMSS :)
    Denbigh wrote: »

This press release was released (lol) Both cast and crew are INCREDIBLE!

cbm.jpg?resize=668%2C623&ssl=1
    I'm a little concerned about the glut of major bat-villains in this film--past experience suggests more than two is too much. The only possible exception would be the Adam West bat-film.
    Revelator wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned about the glut of major bat-villains in this film--past experience suggests more than two is too much. The only possible exception would be the Adam West bat-film.

the chris Nolan batman films didn't seem bloated to me...

well 2 of them anyways...

Beyond that looking at the cast list this reeks of year one to me... so another Batman origins story... goody

I am having a crisis with this film I should be over the moon... why am I at best meh about this and at worst annoyed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2020 Posts: 15,690
    I have tickets for Birds of Prey tonight. Am curious how this film will be like. The action scenes from the trailers looks pretty fun. Only a few hours left to find out, anyway!
    Social media reactions for Birds of Prey will arrive this Saturday, January 25th. Full review embargo will be lifted next Wednesday, January 29th (9 days before release).

can a ban on it being released go into effect lol

I will be shocked if the reviews are positive,.

Birds of Prey debuts at 63/100 on Metacritic, and at 88% on Rottentomatoes (7.12/10 average score).

Does the movie’s pop-feminist message need to be as consistently, cartoonishly violent as it is? Almost definitely not. But in a world gone mad, the catharsis of Prey’s twisted sisterhood doesn’t just read as pandemonium for its own sake; it’s actually pretty damn sweet.

The film’s various elements work in wonderful concert to keep the momentum brisk but still grounded in a stylized version of human empathy, from Jay Cassidy and Evan Schiff’s whiz-bang editing to Daniel Pemberton’s consciously grandiose score. The cast makes each moment count.

A bold, entertaining riot that captures the manic energy of its lead character and ushers in a gang you’ll want to join.

With a wicked sense of humor and exhilarating action, Birds of Prey is fierce, fun and a total blast - and an empowering girl power superhero romp.

While Birds of Prey is all about that group dynamic, its resident Oscar nominee sparkles as the cuckoo crazy pants center of attention who's the batty wind beneath their wings.

It’s a girl-powered, earnestly feminist superhero movie with big, implausible action sequences and outsized personalities, and while it never quite reaches that potential, it does begin to map out a fresh path to the world-worn arena of superhero narratives. It may not be the promised total emancipation (at least not yet), but it is fantabulous in its own way.

It’s messy, with a middle section that sags, but Birds Of Prey has vibrancy, anarchy and balls to spare. Harley and Joker are dead. Long live Harley Quinn.

This film is a blitz of bad taste, a cornucopia of crass, and it is weirdly diverting – more than you might expect, given the frosty way Suicide Squad was received critically – and engagingly crazy. Watching it feels cheerfully excessive and unwholesome, like smoking a cigarette and eating a chocolate bar at the same time.
    interesting Dalton let me know your thoughts
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Revelator wrote: »

I suspect this is going to be a series of vignettes of Batman facing different villains, rather than having a centralized villain that brings all the rogues gallery together. One segment will feature Penguin, the next another villain in an unrelated scheme, and so on.
    @Risico007 Birds of Prey was damn good fun. The action scenes were really badass, and I really liked the very colorful and pulpy visuals. Much better than Suicide Squad. It was 90% Harley and 10% the other characters, but every one got fleshed out back stories. Ewan McGregor was hilarious as an OTT villain.
  • Watched Birds of Prey a couple of hours ago. I haven't been too pleased with what DC have been doing lately but I did enjoy this movie. It's not perfect, the whole movie feels like a music video with at times a lot of exposition, but it was a fun enough ride that I would prefer to watch this than the likes of Joker and Aquaman again. It feels like a cartoon and I say that as a good thing. I thought Jurnee Smollett-Bell was the standout as Black Canary.
    Birds of Prey is now certified fresh on Rottentomatoes.

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-02-06-a-19-38-03.png

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Seeing Birds of Prey in a few hours. I’ll report back later tonight.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,257
    I didn't have particularly high expectations but Birds of Prey still managed to disappoint. I can spend all night tearing it apart so instead I’ll just list some of the things that I did like.

I thought Roman Sionus and Victor Zsasz were pretty good. Both were a departure from their traditional characterizations but I felt they worked well in this freakish little world that Margot Robbie, Cathy Yan, and Christina Hodson created.

Jurnee Smollet-Bell surprised me. The marketing didn’t give her much time to shine but she seemed to have a good amount of screen time and stayed fairly relevant throughout the film. I think she managed to really stand out and I look forward to seeing more of her.

I also really liked Helena Bertinelli’s backstory. I would have loved to see more of it and her revenge story. Unfortunately I didn’t really like MEW in the role, or at least her dull characterization of Huntress. I especially hated that corny “anger issues” trait. It just felt so dumb and forced.
    I didn't have particularly high expectations but Birds of Prey still managed to disappoint. I can spend all night tearing it apart so instead I’ll just list some of the things that I did like.

I thought Roman Sionus and Victor Zsasz were pretty good. Both were a departure from their traditional characterizations but I felt they worked well in this freakish little world that Margot Robbie, Cathy Yan, and Christina Hodson created.

Jurnee Smollet-Bell surprised me. The marketing didn’t give her much time to shine but she seemed to have a good amount of screen time and stayed fairly relevant throughout the film. I think she managed to really stand out and I look forward to seeing more of her.

I also really liked Helena Bertinelli’s backstory. I would have loved to see more of it and her revenge story. Unfortunately I didn’t really like MEW in the role, or at least her dull characterization of Huntress. I especially hated that corny “anger issues” trait. It just felt so dumb and forced.

Can you let me know as a batman fan if it is worth watching or not?

Can you let me know as a batman fan if it is worth watching or not?

I suppose if you liked Suicide Squad, you may want to give it a watch, but I simply can’t recommend this movie.
    Birds of Prey is massively underperforming at the box office, with its predicted $120+ million world-wide opening (and $50+ million domestic opening) now down to $50/60 million world-wide (and $30 million domestic. Making it the lowest opening weekend of any DCEU, X-Men or MCU movie (yes, even lower than 2019's Dark Phoenix).
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Birds of Prey is massively underperforming at the box office, with its predicted $120+ million world-wide opening (and $50+ million domestic opening) now down to $50/60 million world-wide (and $30 million domestic. Making it the lowest opening weekend of any DCEU, X-Men or MCU movie (yes, even lower than 2019's Dark Phoenix).

LOL.
    KXdwbss.gif
    I could care less about spoilers how is black mask and zsasz different from their comic book portrayal
    Joker won 2 Oscars: Best Actor and Best Original Score.
    My brother joked that more people have won Oscars playing the Joker than by playing Hamlet.
    I was wrong it didn’t win best picture meh 2 out of three predictions aren’t bad and besides a Wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse