NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Is that shot of m and dench's m the same sequence?

Yes.

I’m astonished about this merging timelines idea. Do you guys really believe EoN would do such a stupid, crazy, pointless move?

They made Blofeld Bond's Step Brother....so yes, they have been prone to some stupid, crazy, pointless moves post Skyfall. They also made DAD.

Blofeld is not Bond's step brother.

Foster brother wasn't it?

Foster brother (for less than a year in total).

It was Hannes who asked Franz to treat little James as a "brother" for the brief period he stayed at their place.
    Nope, not even "foster brother".

Oberhauser's dad had temporary guardianship of l'il James for about a year. That's it.

Yeah, just two winters.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Yes.

I’m astonished about this merging timelines idea. Do you guys really believe EoN would do such a stupid, crazy, pointless move?

They made Blofeld Bond's Step Brother....so yes, they have been prone to some stupid, crazy, pointless moves post Skyfall. They also made DAD.

It was Hannes who asked Franz to treat little James as a "brother" for the brief period he stayed at their place.

Oberhauser's dad had temporary guardianship of l'il James for about a year. That's it.

I think that suavejmf's point was that making Bond and Blofeld childhood acquaintances was bad, regardless of the nature of their relationship.
  • Anybody else think the secret is that Blofeld had Safin clone Vesper, or that Vesper is still alive somehow?
    Seem to be in a minority but I don't think this adds much to the full traile, and I'm not loving that shot of the glider at all
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Rami Malek's character is obviously an original villain, with completely different background and intentions than the villain from the first Bond movie. Naming that character Dr. No is pretty ridiculous.

Then again, nothing would surprise me at this point.
  • WhyBondWhyBond USA
    edited February 2020 Posts: 65
    Safin cannot be Dr.No because Bond first met him in the first movie. So when Leiter tells Connery's Bond we know nothing about Dr. No except his name Dr. No that implies Bond has never met him.

Bond and the lady 00 double flying the glider thing reminds me of the switchblade scene in Die Another Day with Jinx.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 3,166
    My expectations went down after the new spot confirms that NTTD will have a lot of teal grading (also called the 'blockbuster look' because most action blockbusters are graded this way). The extreme grading in large parts of SP ruined it for me. What's wrong with a natural look these days? Here's Mona Lisa in the hands of the industry:

mona-lisacopy.jpg

"Teal and Orange – Hollywood, Please Stop the Madness"
    https://shootandcut.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop-the-madness/
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    The real question is when will the second trailer drop….. @antovolk thinks it’ll be with Birds of Prey. Which means it’ll be online before Thursday.

I think we will likely get the final poster and trailer this week.

What are our thoughts?

I could be wrong but next week or the week after or early next month for trailer 2. Final poster end of the month or early next month IMO.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    WhyBond wrote: »
    Safin cannot be Dr.No because Bond first met him in the first movie. So when Leiter tells Connery's Bond we know nothing about Dr. No except his name Dr. No that implies Bond has never met him.

Bond and the lady 00 double flying the glider thing reminds me of the switchblade scene in Die Another Day with Jinx.

Bond didn't know Leiter either in DN or CR and they met for the first in time in both movies. Different continuities.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »

Yes.

I think that suavejmf's point was that making Bond and Blofeld childhood acquaintances was bad, regardless of the nature of their relationship.

Yes. We’re all aware of the technical relationship of the two in the film. But if EON didn’t want us to associate them as “brothers” they should have informed Waltz’s character because he sure as Hell mentions it a lot. That’s what gets in peoples’ craw; that they are jamming this instant brotherhood (by proxy) down our throats.

He just says that his father asked him to call him “brother” and then makes a joke about that in the interrogation room. Speaking in general, people seem to blow this brotherhood topic out of proportions since even Blofeld never cared about Bond as long as he started to mine his business.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2020 Posts: 10,588
    Zekidk wrote: »
    My expectations went down after the new spot confirms that NTTD will have a lot of teal grading (also called the 'blockbuster look' because most action blockbusters are graded this way). The extreme grading in large parts of SP ruined it for me. What's wrong with a natural look these days? Here's Mona Lisa in the hands of the industry:

mona-lisacopy.jpg

"Teal and Orange – Hollywood, Please Stop the Madness"
    https://shootandcut.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop-the-madness/
    Because it looks nice? I wouldn't say most blockbusters are graded with teal and orange at all, but color grading is extremely common. Most examples of great cinematography of the last 50 years contains the highlight of a certain color (or two). That "natural" look from the John Glen/Alan Hume films simply doesn't cut it anymore in the current cinematic landscape.
    @jake24

I am not arguing againt color grading. All big movies the last 20 years are graded in some way or another.

I'm personally just fed up with this specific teal 'Transformers' look, but to each his own. I prefer Bond's skin to be on the skin tone line.
    Theres a difference between colour grading and colour theming. I also agree I think really the shots in the back of the plane in the new trailer are over graded blue, but the Matera scenes look fantastically well graded IMO
    I really don't think the 'teal' grading is an attempt at the Transformers teal/orange look, but a more purposefully icy look.
    Yes @Matt007. The grading in Matera looks spot on (orange to support the teal, hence the "teal and orange"-look). But the overall teal look this movie has.... not for me. I will probably grade it to my own preference, like I did with SP, when it comes out on BD/UHD.

(left side original. Right side: my two minute colorshift makeover)

2xDuHIk.jpg
    Arzg5VV.jpg

@Birdleson
    It was impossible to digitally colorgrade back then. The reason why many Bond movies have certain "colors", is because of the production design, the choice of the framing from the cinemaphotographer, the film stock used, the clothes, the props etc... Especially Lewis Gilbert and his cinemaphotographers were masters of color tone.

Yes.

Yes. We’re all aware of the technical relationship of the two in the film. But if EON didn’t want us to associate them as “brothers” they should have informed Waltz’s character because he sure as Hell mentions it a lot. That’s what gets in peoples’ craw; that they are jamming this instant brotherhood (by proxy) down our throats.

He just says that his father asked him to call him “brother” and then makes a joke about that in the interrogation room. Speaking in general, people seem to blow this brotherhood topic out of proportions since even Blofeld never cared about Bond as long as he started to mine his business.

When people say 'foster brothers' or 'step brothers' or 'Bond and and Blofeld are brothers', what's on their mind is not brotherhood in a literal sense of the word, it's the fact that Blofeld and Bond know each other since childhood. That very thing is what some of us (or many of us) find ridiculous. Personally, I think it's the worst idea in the Bond franchise, a badly written fan fiction.

The term 'brother' is just the easier way of saying 'they know each other since they were children'.

It's been explained so many times, it's hard for me to believe some people still don't get it.
    I’m one of the most critical members here on what SP’s yellowish hue is concerned, but I must admit the teal appeals to me a bit more. Although I do share @Zekidk ’s concerns.

Yes.

When people say 'foster brothers' or 'step brothers' or 'Bond and and Blofeld are brothers', what's on their mind is not brotherhood in a literal sense of the word, it's the fact that Blofeld and Bond know each other since childhood. That very thing is what some of us (or many of us) find ridiculous. Personally, I think it's the worst idea in the Bond franchise, a badly written fan fiction.

The term 'brother' is just the easier way of saying 'they know each other since they were children'.

It's been explained so many times, it's hard for me to believe some people still don't get it.

I couldn’t care less what’s on hundred people’s mind regarding this topic. Saying Bond is his step brother is just wrong. Incorrect. Simple as that.
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    jake24 wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    ...Safin says "This was your choice."

Funny, I heard it as, "This was HIS choice."

Yes.

I couldn’t care less what’s on hundred people’s mind regarding this topic. Saying Bond is his step brother is just wrong. Incorrect. Simple as that.

Oh, so you here to make sure everyone uses the correct terms. Sorry then, my bad. :)
    The teal in the NTTD trailers remind me of the days of the older tube televisions.

The picture adjustment options were essentially a series of hidden knobs one manually turned to get the image to their liking: contrast, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness.
    Some RCA sets had extreme tint levels. The teal look of NTTD reminds me an RCA tube television which the tint was turned to the extreme cyan or teal side of the spectrum.

Back in those days most people I knew never realized how badly their television sets were calibrated.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I am glad that London isn't dark anymore like SF & SP.
    love this picture.
    dRBGmq0.jpg
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I also agree I think really the shots in the back of the plane in the new trailer are over graded blue
    njBFUDl.jpg
    antovolk wrote: »
    I really don't think the 'teal' grading is an attempt at the Transformers teal/orange look, but a more purposefully icy look.
    Transformers was the first movie utilising the teal/orange-look, IIRC. This is where all the actors looked like they suffered from jaundice. Transformers is often used as an example of grading going overboard. And the icy look? That's white for me. At least that's what I want Safin's jacket to be.
    LfYgJRn.jpg
  • Let's hope this grading isn't final and it is just for the trailer. Great work @Zekidk
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Let's hope this grading isn't final and it is just for the trailer. Great work @Zekidk

I think this is the final grading and looks great
    It's all personal preference. Some like the mask to be teal, some - like myself - prefer the mask to be more natural white looking.
    jprl4eB.jpg
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,541
    Zekidk wrote: »
    It's all personal preference. Some like the mask to be teal, some - like myself - prefer the mask to be more natural white looking.
    jprl4eB.jpg

Dear God it does make a difference. I wish we could send this to editors, sadly grading must have been finished by now.
    But @Zekidk look at the hands, left one seems more real and natural.
    Nope, @Resurrection. The right (a tad too saturated) is much closer to the skin tone line than the left. Can't argue with science ;-)
    Are Lea's hand red ? :-? Hmm
    It's certainly more red, than green ;-) Like I said: forgot -15% saturation.