NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

Octopussy wrote: »
    Lashana Lynch is a Queen

Both her and her array of sunglasses stole this trailer. I need more Nomi now!!!

Screen-Shot-2020-02-02-at-8.06.05-PM.png

1761-1570122830.jpg

Ahahah, brilliant!
  • Couple of comments/questions
    1. I know Fukunaga mentioned this movie dealing with legacy which could explain our current M looking distraught at Dench's M like he is failing her legacy. as someone cleverly theorised in a previous post. The callbacks to Dr. No and Die Another Day might also be playing around with the idea of the Bond film franchise legacy and it's pressure.
    2. Would anyone be able to tell me what Bond is doing in that shot when he walks out with the gun. I can't quite catch the movement?
    3. Loving this footage.

2. Looks like he's walking out of the Cuba party (?) and either pulling out the folding stock or loading a round/magazine into his weapon. (I believe it's an ARX-160, which has a grenade launcher attached.)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2020 Posts: 10,586
    antovolk wrote: »
    Guys, the trailer editors confirmed back in December that Blofeld says "death of you".
    Can we put this to rest?
    Can't believe someone people are still stubborn enough to still have this debate when we've had a clear answer for such a long time.

Also, Safin says "This was your choice."
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    If the trailer editors have said so, it's probably meant to be 'you'. In conclusion (for me that it), I hope they use another take were the pronunciation is a little beter.

I will drop it now because obviously it appears to be a very sensitive issue.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Walecs wrote: »
    So, let me understand...
    Your idea of continuity is having an Egyptian-American actor playing a bad guy with a Russian surname who turns out to be a classic Chinese villain from the Connery films, originally played by a Jewish Canadian thespian, all of this under the eye of a Japanese-American director?

:)) Brilliant! Don't forget he's also supposed to be
    Swann's long lost brother, so he's got a French sister and a Danish father
    and he will be killed by a British secret agent.

Who is half Swiss. ;)
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,541
    Lashana Lynch is a Queen

Both her and her array of sunglasses stole this trailer. I need more Nomi now!!!

1761-1570122830.jpg

:))
    This film reminds me more of die another day than Dr No
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQIZFV3sjRarafqYGKvNK0abqwLVBHUEwm2kprm3nzqraYqg1JI

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQsYja0hQBIT3p-jM9pIiBeOZpBdNQfRPSTciKd52gQJQDb2sce
    Screen_Shot_2019-02-19_at_15.54.51_copy_1260x.png?v=1551713247 Loving the shades...
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    matt_u wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Is that shot of m and dench's m the same sequence?

Yes.

I’m astonished about this merging timelines idea. Do you guys really believe EoN would do such a stupid, crazy, pointless move?

They made Blofeld Bond's Step Brother....so yes, they have been prone to some stupid, crazy, pointless moves post Skyfall. They also made DAD.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    suavejmf wrote: »

Yes.

I’m astonished about this merging timelines idea. Do you guys really believe EoN would do such a stupid, crazy, pointless move?

They made Blofeld Bond's Step Brother....so yes, they have been prone to some stupid, crazy, pointless moves post Skyfall. They also made DAD.

Blofeld is not Bond's step brother.
  • Jeffrey wrote: »
    If the trailer editors have said so, it's probably meant to be 'you'. In conclusion (for me that it), I hope they use another take were the pronunciation is a little beter.

I originally heard 'you' but now only hear 'him'. Don't think there's 2 versions, which leads me to think that our brains fill in the 'you' because it's what we would naturally expect as we don't have the rest of the conversation and Blofeld is talking directly to Bond.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Yes.

Foster brother wasn't it?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 1,261
    peter wrote: »
    all bodily fluids joyfully left my body.
    :-O :-B :-?? @-)
    I hope you had a bucket to contain it?
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,343
    NicNac wrote: »

Yes.

Foster brother (for less than a year in total).

It was Hannes who asked Franz to treat little James as a "brother" for the brief period he stayed at their place.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Lashana Lynch is a Queen

1761-1570122830.jpg

Can't say I didn't laugh out loud at this one. Lynch looks great in her tactical gear but her casual clothing has been ridiculous. They're trying very hard to make her look cool, when she pulls off more simplistic attire far more slickly.
    Sorry if mentioned before re new trailer and the frozen lake scene
    at 20 secs, the machine gun is firing down into the ice with the original hole visible a few meters away. So, IMHO, the gunman needs to take the girl alive: a kidknapper, not a killer. This surely impacts the plot?
    It also fits in with previous shots taken on set when the gunman as running/stumbling after the girl but within gun range.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,834
    Looks like Madeleine owes Safin her life.

And that person on the plane is definitely Moneypenny. She's just wearing a helmet/mask.

I think the silhouette behind Safin is probably just a dead henchman.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 4,599
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

There are four key components that characterize Stockholm syndrome:

A hostage's development of positive feelings towards the captor
    No previous relationship between hostage and captor
    A refusal by hostages to cooperate with police forces and other government authorities (unless the captors themselves happen to be members of police forces or government authorities).
    A hostage's belief in the humanity of the captor because they cease to perceive the captor as a threat when the victim holds the same values as the aggressor[2]
    patb wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

There are four key components that characterize Stockholm syndrome:

A hostage's development of positive feelings towards the captor
    No previous relationship between hostage and captor
    A refusal by hostages to cooperate with police forces and other government authorities (unless the captors themselves happen to be members of police forces or government authorities).
    A hostage's belief in the humanity of the captor because they cease to perceive the captor as a threat when the victim holds the same values as the aggressor[2]

Renard approves.
  • The real question is when will the second trailer drop….. @antovolk thinks it’ll be with Birds of Prey. Which means it’ll be online before Thursday.

I think we will likely get the final poster and trailer this week.

What are our thoughts?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    We may not a get a second trailer only tv spots, since this time it's really secretive.
    They may want avoid any spoilers at this point and release the song this month instead.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think we're gonna get a final trailer that'll include Zimmer's score, and then some reedited TV spots with no new footage.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'd be more than happy is if this is all we get before the film is released

That trailer was great, the quick cut to each bit of action reminded me of the Goldeneye trailer. Although I'm not sure I like how deliberately they're referencing Dr No. Feels as though we're going to get a reveal during the film.
    One thing I find brilliant so far about this marketing strategy, is how they have kept the plot very secretive and not given it away in the trailers. It's refreshing

I do love the hype for this film credit to the people involved for splashing out and buying a lucrative spot in the advert break, I read it cost them over 4 million for 30 seconds. The reaction so far has been worth it with people saying it was the best trailer of the Superbowl.

The new Bond film is less than 2 months away and I can't wait
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Anyone else think the cinematography looked at lot smoother in this trailer? Cleaner.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Once again, you're all overestimating the importance of Dr. No for general audiences.

No is not Blofeld. Blofeld is a popular and heavily caricatured figure that had remained, along with Spectre, in the public attention for a long time. Ask random people to describe Blofeld, and, even if they haven't seen the actual films (or don't remember them well), they'll mention the scars, the baldness, the cat, the Nehru shirts, etc. They'll namedrop Dr. Evil, or even Dr. Claw, as parodies.
    Ask random people to describe Dr. No, and... crickets.

No is much less famous than Blofeld. He's also much less famous than Star Trek villain Khan.

Making references to the Dr. No film, especially as it would also double as a tribute to the incredible achievements (on such a meager budget) of Ken Adam, who died in 2016? Definitely.

A reveal that Safin is indeed No? It would make very little sense to at least 95% of the target audience.

I also can't get it why you're all so full of contradictions. You want the films to try new things, yet you desperately embrace the possibility that the villain for NTTD would be the same as the villain in the very first Bond film, 58 years ago, long before most of the people who will see NTTD in theaters were even born. You want the music to sound like John Barry, yet you want the music to sound modern, and not derivative, etc.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The real question is when will the second trailer drop….. @antovolk thinks it’ll be with Birds of Prey. Which means it’ll be online before Thursday.

I think we will likely get the final poster and trailer this week.

What are our thoughts?

This seems very plausible; what we got last night was a teaser of the trailer.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @HildebrandRarity That's a good point mate, that's a good way of looking at it

I really like this trailer, it's great to see just some snippets of new footage without them revealing too much. I wonder where the underwater seen with Bond, features in the film? Cuba perhaps?

In all honestly I'm very happily clueless when it comes to the order of the locations of this film, where will be the PTS be, Matera?
    Bond underwater is after the SPECTRE “party” in Cuba, yes. Matera will be the first location with Bond in it, since based on the clapper boards the very first scene of the film will be the cabin by the frozen lake with Safin and the girl (young Swann).
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,185
    Love how present the 007 logo is in this trailer, considering how much of a debate topic it has become. As if they knew.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Jeffrey wrote: »

I originally heard 'you' but now only hear 'him'. Don't think there's 2 versions, which leads me to think that our brains fill in the 'you' because it's what we would naturally expect as we don't have the rest of the conversation and Blofeld is talking directly to Bond.

In Norway, the subtitles say "you". I believe it is the same everywhere else, and also in dubbed versions.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »

Yes.

Foster brother (for less than a year in total).

It was Hannes who asked Franz to treat little James as a "brother" for the brief period he stayed at their place.
    Nope, not even "foster brother".

Oberhauser's dad had temporary guardianship of l'il James for about a year. That's it.