What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    Congrats to Billie Eilish ... and to EON : they have secured Rami Malek way before his Academy Awards, british academy awards and Golden globe Best actor, and now they have a big four grammy awards (+1 more) artist :-bd
    Can't wait for the song!

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That reminds me, whoever wins the best acting categories, leading or supporting, should be looked at by fans as possible Bond villains. Ever since SKYFALL we've had villains who were all played by Oscar winning actors. Funnily, both Anthony Hopkins and Johnathan Pryce, who were both attached to the role of Elliot Carver, are nominated this year.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,835
    Just found out in this interview that they wrote the whole song on the road...

He says it at 2:47

So?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,835
    boldfinger wrote: »
    So?
    It's a fact about the song that I thought was interesting, and shows dedication to the job they sought out and have managed to get. If you don't care, you don't need to respond :)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Unlike Sam Smith, at least they took more than a half an hour
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,767
    Denbigh wrote: »
    So?
    It's a fact about the song that I thought was interesting, and shows dedication to the job they sought out and have managed to get. If you don't care, you don't need to respond :)
    I do care, that´s why I allowed myself to respond. Some songwriters get more inspiration locked up in a studio, some get their inspiration from everyday life, and yet again others are most productive on the road. So my admittedly very short initial question was about what makes that tidbit so special? Nothing more, nothing less.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    talos7 wrote: »
    Unlike Sam Smith, at least they took more than a half an hour

:)) This may be good
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just pictured Billie looking back at this moment about ten years from now, still a popular singer, but her being on a chat show (showing this clip) and her saying "Yeah, that was my green hair phase ..." ;) I find her look a nice break from the oh so "sexy" in your face look that a great many women have in the music industry.

Here's to a very good Bond song. The hype right now could not be more positive.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    So?

A lot of artists write on the road.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The girl clearly has the talent to write a great Bond song, but then so did Madonna and Jack White. I do wonder whether the responsibility can effect song writers in a negative way.
    I just hope her youth makes her bold, and she creates the song she's clearly capable of.
    The fact that, as her brother said in another interview, they had to actively fight for the opportunity and also that Zimmer was involved in the final stages is a great sign.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well, the Grammy results will do nothing but good for the film, especially in USA. It feels a little like 20123 when so many factors came together to create interest in SF.

Will Billie Eilish's success, as well as the current popularity of so many of the cast create a refreshed spark of interest?
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Even the creative team....looks like an ensemble cast....Zimmer's one of those composers who's as popular as an actor or film director....whenever Zimmer is working on a project, it's always news.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Even the creative team....looks like an ensemble cast....Zimmer's one of those composers who's as popular as an actor or film director....whenever Zimmer is working on a project, it's always news.
    That is hardly true. He scores so many films, most of the time he´s mentioned in passing.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    That is hardly true. He scores so many films, most of the time he´s mentioned in passing.

Yeah, I think that's when he chooses to score films that aren't that huge in terms of blockbusters. E.g 'Chappie'.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    NicNac wrote: »
    The girl clearly has the talent to write a great Bond song, but then so did Madonna and Jack White. I do wonder whether the responsibility can effect song writers in a negative way.
    I just hope her youth makes her bold, and she creates the song she's clearly capable of.

Here's hoping. Although, youth is no guarantee of innovation. Still with Zimmer and Elish on board we could be looking a very good score. I've been burnt before when in comes to Bond series, so I'm upgrading my excitement levels from "meh" to "cautiously optimistic."
    I just pictured Billie looking back at this moment about ten years from now, still a popular singer, but her being on a chat show (showing this clip) and her saying "Yeah, that was my green hair phase ..." ;)

I find her look a nice break from the oh so "sexy" in your face look that a great many women have in the music industry.

Indeed. Her baggy clothes have an androgynous quality to them. "I'm an artist, judge by by my art."
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

He's definitely the most famous composer among casual people. Everyone I know knows Hans Zimmer even though they have no idea who John Williams is. When Zimmer was rumored and then confirmed to be doing NTTD's score everyone on Reddit went crazy, there were lots of posts about it - while the rest of NTTD production generated very little buzz on there.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    royale65 wrote: »

Here's hoping. Although, youth is no guarantee of innovation. Still with Zimmer and Elish on board we could be looking a very good score. I've been burnt before when in comes to Bond series, so I'm upgrading my excitement levels from "meh" to "cautiously optimistic."
    I just pictured Billie looking back at this moment about ten years from now, still a popular singer, but her being on a chat show (showing this clip) and her saying "Yeah, that was my green hair phase ..." ;)

I find her look a nice break from the oh so "sexy" in your face look that a great many women have in the music industry.

Indeed. Her baggy clothes have an androgynous quality to them. "I'm an artist, judge by by my art."

She said it's also so nobody can comment on her body image.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/billie-eilish-baggy-clothes-calvin-klein

"Nobody can have an opinion because they haven't seen what’s underneath. Nobody can be like, ‘she’s slim-thick,’ ‘she’s not slim-thick,’ ‘she’s got a flat ass,’ ‘she's got a fat ass.’ No one can say any of that because they don't know."
    She's an interesting young woman. Remarkably self assured for her age.
  • royale65 wrote: »

As opposed to...

The Queen of Auto-Tune Island.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    haha! ;) Yes, @CraterGuns . As opposed to that. That particular example I find to be ridiculous; it made me laugh.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Getafix wrote: »
    She's an interesting young woman. Remarkably self assured for her age.

Definitely.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Ryan wrote: »

"Nobody can have an opinion because they haven't seen what’s underneath. Nobody can be like, ‘she’s slim-thick,’ ‘she’s not slim-thick,’ ‘she’s got a flat ass,’ ‘she's got a fat ass.’ No one can say any of that because they don't know."

This is part of the reason she is so appealing to adolescent females. She downplays her looks, making her far more accessible and relatable.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    TripAces wrote: »
    Ryan wrote: »

This is part of the reason she is so appealing to adolescent females. She downplays her looks, making her far more accessible and relatable.

She's quite humble too. She was nearly embarrassed to win so many Grammy's. There's a clip floating around where you can see her mouthing the words "please don't be me" ahead of one of her wins. Easy to see the appeal even if one isn't a fan if her music. I think the title song is in good hands. She clearly cares.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Okay, appearance. Now I gotta say her green tinged hair can play right into the rumored algae caper by the villain. And if she doesn't appear in the title sequence there could still be a Verity-Poison Ivy type role in the film proper.

Okay, I'll stop.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 8
    I don't have any reason to enjoy her choise of clothes and fake long nails. She looks gross.
    https://www.thesartorialist.com/category/women/
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    bondsum wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    People say Bassey, and great though she is it’s hard to compare hers and Dionne Warwick’s versions of Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and think Shirley’s is the best. She’s not the be all and end all.
    Yeah, but what exactly has that got to do with the price of fish?

Exactly what I said: she’s not the be all and end all. Other people can do the job as good or better: they just need the chance. All of this ‘get Bassey’ stuff is rather tired thinking.
    The only reason they weren’t in the film was because they wanted a song named after the film and the song wasn’t good enough.
    Though I agree in part with what you're saying about Dame Shirley—yes, I do agree that she's no longer relevant enough for present day Bond audiences—that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm enamoured by Billie Eilish as the new performer. Quite what an 18 year-old girl has to say about a 51 year-old man isn't something I'm particularly interested in hearing at the start of a Bond movie, plus it sort of flies in the face of their so-called #MeToo stance. They got away with it with Adele as she comes over as a much older woman with a more seasoned outlook on life which just so happened to tap into an older audience as well as appealing to a young one. I cannot say the same about young Miss Eilish who only seems to appeal to the "yoof market" and those experiencing a midlife crisis who still want to appear down with the kids. Secondly, Eilish is an American singer, so it's obvious that they've abandoned the previous British perspective that served them well on the last two movies. No Oscar this time, folks.

Personally, I think the performer needs to be more age appropriate—preferably British—and relatable to Bond, same goes for his leading ladies. It's indeed strange, when I suggested Ariana Grande many pages ago, everyone said that she was far too young (at 26) to be singing about Bond. But now that we've got a teenager performing Bond 25, that train of thought has gone totally out of the window. Go figure.

I'm not enamored by Eilish either.

But why not waiting until you have heard the actual song?

And what is that, an "approriate" preformer?

Being positive is not that hard you know.
    I have no idea what to expect?!!!
  • ConnorConnor UK
    Eilish has just been confirmed for a 'special performance' at this years Oscars ceremony on February 9th.

Considering she's not nominated for any of the awards. I'm putting wads of money on the Bond theme being debuted.

This discussion has been closed.