What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

Station_Z wrote: »
    The frontrunner at the moment is Billie Eilish. It seems that Cary Fukunaga is a fan.....I fully expect her to sing the title tune.

I would like to say that I called this on 25 December.....there were a few snarky people that said I was gonna be wrong. But I did say it was likely after CJF started following her on Instagram.

Just saying.

I can't get rid of the feeling that the MI6-story is just based on your discovery.

I wouldn’t be too hasty…..I’ve spoken to at least two people inside the loop on this and they have said that Billie Eilish is doing the song. I think the news is starting to leak out now.

I’d be rather chuffed as it shows my detective skills haven’t gone rusty.

Personally, I think Eilish has a terrific voice and style. It’s very haunting and avant garde. I do think her style and way of dressing is a little ‘young’ – though, you won’t be able to see that in the film. I suspect this was a CJF choice. Which is refreshing as Mendes swayed towards big theatrical ballads by young British artists singing about heartbreak……………………this seems very different.

Also, Eilish appeals to younger people, who may not have cared about Bond. However, how many of them will buy a ticket? I doubt many. Just look at the Charlie’s Angels reboot. That had the millennial triple-punch of Arianna Grande, Lana Del Rey and Millie Cyrus. It didn’t help the box office.

For those reasons, I am dubious as Eilish doesn’t seem a very ’on brand’ for the franchise on a surface level. However musically speaking, she’s perfect.

versace-shirt-jacket-and-shorts-chrome-hearts-chain-y-3-sandals.jpg

Good point but Charlie’s Angels was sort of dead on arrival, and save for the Disney musical, no ‘movie song’ is as singularly important or marketable as the Bond title theme.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I don't really know much about Eilish but I'm most intrigued.

I know she isn't bubble gum light pop, Thom Yorke remarked that she is the only artist doing anything expletive interesting.

Thom Yorke says he’s a fan of Billie Eilish: “Nobody’s telling her what to do”

When someone like him says that I sit up and listen, I'm definitely anticipating this song.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Burgess wrote: »
    JamesStock wrote: »
    Nancy Sinatra's voice bothers the crap out of me in YOLT. The force vibrato. 😱 Both YOLT (excluding Barry's instrumental) and FYEO are the bottom for me in songs, so I have to disagree.

So it's Billie E. At the moment, eh? Ugh, at least I'll be starting with massively low expectations, so it's only uphill, right?

Fair enough. I’m just saying that having the best performing album of 2019, with a Metacritic rating of 82 (out of 100), is the direct antithesis of BondAficionado’s sentiment. Would Eilish even be an issue if she was older than 18? Lana Del Rey seems to be an understandably popular candidate on these forums for a Bond theme. Eilish has been compared to Del Rey, and holds her up as an influence.

I didn't mean she wasn't popular or great at what she does, but what she does is confined to the same sound. So we already know what we're getting with her and I'm not looking forward to that for the aforementioned reasons.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    @Pierce2Daniel can I just take this opportunity, to say thank you. You and Antovolk and maybe a couple of others, who only post here with solid news or reasonable speculation, are a breath of fresh air.

As someone who has followed this thread for the last five miserable years, waking up every morning to soul-deadening posts like "Is there any news today?" and "Does anyone think there will be news today?" or "Will David Dencik appear in Matera?" or similar, your name has always been a reason to click on the thread.

It has been noted and appreciated :)

May I ask what prompted you to start posting after 5 years of reading posts?
    And why even bother when they made you so miserable?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,541
    NicNac wrote: »
    @Pierce2Daniel can I just take this opportunity, to say thank you. You and Antovolk and maybe a couple of others, who only post here with solid news or reasonable speculation, are a breath of fresh air.

As someone who has followed this thread for the last five miserable years, waking up every morning to soul-deadening posts like "Is there any news today?" and "Does anyone think there will be news today?" or "Will David Dencik appear in Matera?" or similar, your name has always been a reason to click on the thread.

It has been noted and appreciated :)

May I ask what prompted you to start posting after 5 years of reading posts?
    And why even bother when they made you so miserable?

Poster wanted to use flattery so he/she can blend in. Most of the times it's just Bullock, the same thing he/she mentioned we all have been doing soul dreading posts except for a few VIP's who have contributed reliable information.
    I like Billie Eilish's voice. It has lots of potential. And this would be great for her, career wise. She's been rising. I'd prefer her to many of the names that have been mentioned in the last year or so.
    Univex wrote: »
    I like Billie Eilish's voice. It has lots of potential. And this would be great for her, career wise. She's been rising. I'd prefer her to many of the names that have been mentioned in the last year or so.

There's a great fit for timing, yes. And I suspect her star will rise even farther (faster) after the Grammys. Anyone who's ever wanted Lana Del Rey should be pretty pleased with this choice, as well.

Can't wait to hear what they've come up with!
    Congrats MI6HQ if they have bagged the scoop on this?!!! :-bd
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,416
    Yesterday i watched 2.4 of Killing Eve, a very Dutch episode not only playing in Amsterdam (for real) and Dutch actor playing short part, but also Dutch music is used on very sarcasm way as we know from the series. Not only on the background and end with Dutch music also.

Spoilers.

Not every episode is written by Walter Bridge, music tracks playing inportent part in series to tell something. It made me curious or there wil be more then one song heard in NTTD and or producers and writers already have idea of this since SF. Or Killing Eve was inspyred.

• GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    If Billie Eillish is doing the song for NTTD, count me in.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Beyonce, I can sort of understand, but she's not on my lis. Eilish though.... really? Isn't her demographic the sort of person that simply doesn't like Bond, thinks of him as "Toxic" and "Problematic" and buys into that weird shipping thing, that is present in some fandoms. This is really a demographic worth chasing?
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I'm not the biggest fan of her music (simply not my cup of tea) but she has an incredible voice. I'm all for this. Keeps things current, gives a young artist an incredible opportunity, and it will be far more interesting than going with a "safe" choice like Beyonce.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,890
    Beyonce, I can sort of understand, but she's not on my lis. Eilish though.... really? Isn't her demographic the sort of person that simply doesn't like Bond, thinks of him as "Toxic" and "Problematic" and buys into that weird shipping thing, that is present in some fandoms. This is really a demographic worth chasing?
    Indeed, how many of her post Millennial fans will see this as selling out?

• edited January 2020 Posts: 3,164

For $1 billion global box office - yes. Other things the film is doing to chase this demographic - PWB, Nomi possibly being the new 007...
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited January 2020 Posts: 524

I suspect you haven't visited Tumblr since 2012, because exactly that demographic has jumped on the Bond fandom for shipping purposes. The most popular ship is 00Q, which is exactly what you think it is.

a264cc73df7a73038b034f139598d3d0.jpg

So whether you like it or not, *that demographic* has been involved with Bond since the casting of Ben Wishaw. There was some buzz within that demographic when Andrew Scott was cast (because of Sherlock), but since that role led to not much in SP, it has died out. With Waller-Bridge and Eilish on board, *that demographic* is here to stay.

And I don't think it's a wrong move.
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    edited January 2020 Posts: 140
    The stupidest thing is that the film will make mad money, regardless, so there's really NO need to hire a little gloomy teeny bopper. The young demographic will not give a flying f*** if Billie Ellish or Billy Idol performs a Bond theme and EON clearly doesn't get that, if they go with someone like Ellish. Bond comes from the past and from a different point in history that can reflect the times, but not transform into something that it's not, so there needs to be some respect to the viewers who appreciate legends like Bassey, Jones, McCartney or Duran. To me, Ellish's music feels morose and almost morbid.

Hiring a "hip artist" to sing the theme or Ben Whishaw as Q have virtually nothing to do with the film's success. EON should understand that it's about the story, the locations, the larger than life characters, the women, the humor, and the music, which should be like a strong omniscient character. Boy George released a theme for 'NTTD' as a joke, but it's so good, that it could use a few orchestrations and be used as a solid, legitimate theme. Personally, I don't think they've hit a home run with a song since K.D. Lang's 'Surrender' and that wasn't even the main title theme.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm all for giving Billie a chance. Surely it all hinges on the song itself, not her voice.
    What kind of song do we think this one will be? Perhaps only hard rocker is ruled out.

Aside from that ... I want to ask if that clip from Killing Eve is typical ... is it? I have never seen anything from that before, and I just found that clip really disgusting. I guess it is meant to be disturbing. Is there much of that kind of thing in the series? Just wondering.
    OOWolf wrote: »
    The stupidest thing is that the film will make mad money, regardless, so there's really NO need to hire a little gloomy teeny bopper. The young demographic will not give a flying f*** if Billie Ellish or Billy Idol performs a Bond theme and EON clearly doesn't get that, if they go with someone like Ellish. Bond comes from the past and from a different point in history that can reflect the times, but not transform into something that it's not, so there needs to be some respect to the viewers who appreciate legends like Bassey, Jones, McCartney or Duran. To me, Ellish's music feels morose and almost morbid.

Hiring a "hip artist" to sing the theme or Ben Whishaw as Q have virtually nothing to do with the film's success. EON should understand that it's about the story, the locations, the larger than life characters, the women, the humor, and the music, which should be like a strong omniscient character. Boy George released a theme for 'NTTD' as a joke, but it's so good, that it could use a few orchestrations and be used as a solid, legitimate theme. Personally, I don't think they've hit a home run with a song since K.D. Lang's 'Surrender' and that wasn't even the main title theme.

At the time that ‘A View To A Kill’ was released Duran Duran was a hip, new band. The same with Bassey and Jones. These artists weren’t legends in 1964, 1965 and 1985.

EON understands that the film, as an artistic piece, is the ultimate determinate of its own successes, but hiring new and interesting talent helps too. It’s one thing not to like Eilish but your argument doesn’t track.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm all for giving Billie a chance. Surely it all hinges on the song itself, not her voice.
    What kind of song do we think this one will be? Perhaps only hard rocker is ruled out.

Aside from that ... I want to ask if that clip from Killing Eve is typical ... is it? I have never seen anything from that before, and I just found that clip really disgusting. I guess it is meant to be disturbing. Is there much of that kind of thing in the series? Just wondering.

It has those moments in the series but it isn't all the way through, it is pretty dark and the humour is decidedly black.

I'm curious about Eilish, she is quite experimental in her style so I could see something closer to that than an outright ballad, anything will be better than that wimpy nonsense last time round.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Okay, thanks. I'll just pass on Killing Eve, though I know it's won lots of awards.

I do think, as it is now 2020, that EON should/will confirm the singer soonish. Like this month at least.
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    edited January 2020 Posts: 140
    EON understands that the film, as an artistic piece, is the ultimate determinate of its own successes, but hiring new and interesting talent helps too. It’s one thing not to like Eilish but your argument doesn’t track.

Producer machine artists are the only source of "new and interesting talent?" In many consensuses, Madonna's 'DAD,' Jack White and Alicia Key's 'AWTD' and Sam Smith's 'TWOTW,' are considered to be poor Bond themes, and I happen to agree. Sure, Duran were teeny boppers, to a certain extent, but they came from a different school. For that band, they are great musicians, and had the assistance of the late genius, John Barry.

Somehow, I don't think Hans Zimmer along with Billie Ellish or anyone of these producer cranked artists will create history, once history has already been made. I think it's safe to assume that lifelong Bond fans will always relate to many of the theme songs from yesteryear, along with the bombastic scores provided by such incredible composers as John Barry, Marvin Hamlisch or Bill Conti who added so much to the films.

It's not that I won't give it a chance, but I feel like so many opportunities for classic themes have gone to waste in recent years.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,861

Producer machine artists are the only source of "new and interesting talent?" In many consensuses, Madonna's 'DAD,' Jack White and Alicia Key's 'AWTD' and Sam Smith's 'TWOTW,' are considered to be poor Bond themes, and I happen to agree. Sure, Duran were teeny boppers, to a certain extent, but they came from a different school. For that band, they are great musicians, and had the assistance of the late genius, John Barry.

You missed Burgess’ point: all Bond artists have been the hip new thing: including Barry himself! He was in his twenties when Dr No came out and was having pop hits in the hit parade. They hired John Barry because he was a hip young pop artist! Tom Jones was a teen idol, Bassey was 27 or so; pretty much the only time in the first 25 years or so they used a ‘legend’ would’ve been Louis Armstrong: even Paul McCartney had only been around ten years or so- the equivalent of using someone like the Arctic Monkeys now. The idea of using someone long established probably only kicked in with the likes of Gladys Knight or Tina Turner.
    If you think hiring a ‘hip artist’ to do the theme has nothing to do with Bond, you don’t know Bond.
  • Eilish will bring people into the movie who weren't planning on seeing it whether you like it or not. That's what both Adele and Sam Smith were able to do, so from a marketing point of view it isn't a bad idea.
    She has an interesting voice but I do like a melody for my Bond song. Hope she can come up with one.
    Getafix wrote: »
    She has an interesting voice but I do like a melody for my Bond song. Hope she can come up with one.
    This is , or was, probably a collaborative effort; there will be a melody.
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    mtm wrote: »
    You missed Burgess’ point: all Bond artists have been the hip new thing: including Barry himself! He was in his twenties when Dr No came out and was having pop hits in the hit parade. They hired John Barry because he was a hip young pop artist! Tom Jones was a teen idol, Bassey was 27 or so; pretty much the only time in the first 25 years or so they used a ‘legend’ would’ve been Louis Armstrong: even Paul McCartney had only been around ten years or so- the equivalent of using someone like the Arctic Monkeys now. The idea of using someone long established probably only kicked in with the likes of Gladys Knight or Tina Turner.
    If you think hiring a ‘hip artist’ to do the theme has nothing to do with Bond, you don’t know Bond.

Although subjective, I think the 'hip artists' of yesteryear had a lot more pizzaz. We can both agree that we would like a good theme, regardless of who provides it, but I just feel the music in the series has been lackluster in recent years. I mean, how likely is someone to hum or whistle 'The Writing's on the Wall' and a Thomas Newman cue in comparison to say, 'YOLT' and 'Space March'?

I guess my point is that "hip" needs to have pizzaz. I know we are no longer in the 60s, 70s, or 80s, but there still needs to be an upholding of tradition. From the few songs that I've heard, and the videos I've seen, Billie Ellish's sound and visual concept look like a result of total societal decay and the imminent threat of an apocalypse. Great, art should reflect the times, but I feel that there are other ways to do that, especially for a Bond film. Bond is escapist fare, after all.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Ok boomer. :P
    Minion wrote: »
    Ok boomer. :P
    Lol, I love this phrase and wear the badge “Boomer” proudly
    Just look at the movies and music produced by that generation. 😎🤙🏼

• edited January 2020 Posts: 309
    mtm wrote: »

Although subjective, I think the 'hip artists' of yesteryear had a lot more pizzaz. We can both agree that we would like a good theme, regardless of who provides it, but I just feel the music in the series has been lackluster in recent years. I mean, how likely is someone to hum or whistle 'The Writing's on the Wall' and a Thomas Newman cue in comparison to say, 'YOLT' and 'Space March'?

I guess my point is that "hip" needs to have pizzaz. I know we are no longer in the 60s, 70s, or 80s, but there still needs to be an upholding of tradition. From the few songs that I've heard, and the videos I've seen, Billie Ellish's sound and visual concept look like a result of total societal decay and the imminent threat of an apocalypse. Great, art should reflect the times, but I feel that there are other ways to do that, especially for a Bond film. Bond is escapist fare, after all.

Yes, we both want a good, nay, great title song. But comparing one of the most iconic Bond (and film) scores to one of the most disliked Bond title songs is imbalanced.

There’s always the good and the bad in any art form, and a sixty year old film series will certainly have some stinkers. Billie Eilish, if she’s the one, has yet to be proven a good or bad choice. She’s certainly popular, talented and distinctive, which is the mix I like for Bond title song performers. Let’s see what she brings. We both want the same thing: Bond at his best.

Somehow, I don't think Hans Zimmer along with Billie Ellish or anyone of these producer cranked artists will create history, once history has already been made. I think it's safe to assume that lifelong Bond fans will always relate to many of the theme songs from yesteryear, along with the bombastic scores provided by such incredible composers as John Barry, Marvin Hamlisch or Bill Conti who added so much to the films.

It's not that I won't give it a chance, but I feel like so many opportunities for classic themes have gone to waste in recent years.

Totally agree. I have to say, listening to 3 different examples of Billie's work hasn't exactly inspired me or made me jump for joy. Her voice is dreary, her songs make you want to slash your wrists.

I hope this isn't another token nod to being hip and trendy, and we end up with another DAD or AWTD - easily the 2 worst songs in the franchise.

EON got it spot on when they hired Adele, yet they seemed to have regressed again if this rumour is true.
This discussion has been closed.