What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if all of this is gearing up for an Adele return. Although this will likely never happen, the artists that I would love to hear do a Bond theme include Sade, Seal, Allison Moyet, Mick Hucknall and even Boy George.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,861
    OOWolf wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    You missed Burgess’ point: all Bond artists have been the hip new thing: including Barry himself! He was in his twenties when Dr No came out and was having pop hits in the hit parade. They hired John Barry because he was a hip young pop artist! Tom Jones was a teen idol, Bassey was 27 or so; pretty much the only time in the first 25 years or so they used a ‘legend’ would’ve been Louis Armstrong: even Paul McCartney had only been around ten years or so- the equivalent of using someone like the Arctic Monkeys now. The idea of using someone long established probably only kicked in with the likes of Gladys Knight or Tina Turner.
    If you think hiring a ‘hip artist’ to do the theme has nothing to do with Bond, you don’t know Bond.

Although subjective, I think the 'hip artists' of yesteryear had a lot more pizzaz.

Personally I think Adele is way better than Rita Coolidge, but whatever you say.

Do you at least admit you were wrong to say that hiring new young artists isn’t the way they’ve always done it?
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if all of this is gearing up for an Adele return. Although this will likely never happen, the artists that I would love to hear do a Bond theme include Sade, Seal, Allison Moyet, Mick Hucknall and even Boy George.

Wow. No offence but I really hope we never go on a long car journey together!
    :) Hucknall?! Pizazz?!!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    From that list though, I think Sade can conjure up a good Bond theme....maybe not the bombastic theme, maybe something dreamy like Sinatra's YOLT. Sade songs especially 'Paradise' do have snippets of the Bond style....maybe coz Sade have a jazzy style.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 309
    Burgess wrote: »
    EON understands that the film, as an artistic piece, is the ultimate determinate of its own successes, but hiring new and interesting talent helps too. It’s one thing not to like Eilish but your argument doesn’t track.

Producer machine artists are the only source of "new and interesting talent?" In many consensuses, Madonna's 'DAD,' Jack White and Alicia Key's 'AWTD' and Sam Smith's 'TWOTW,' are considered to be poor Bond themes, and I happen to agree. Sure, Duran were teeny boppers, to a certain extent, but they came from a different school. For that band, they are great musicians, and had the assistance of the late genius, John Barry.

Somehow, I don't think Hans Zimmer along with Billie Ellish or anyone of these producer cranked artists will create history, once history has already been made. I think it's safe to assume that lifelong Bond fans will always relate to many of the theme songs from yesteryear, along with the bombastic scores provided by such incredible composers as John Barry, Marvin Hamlisch or Bill Conti who added so much to the films.

It's not that I won't give it a chance, but I feel like so many opportunities for classic themes have gone to waste in recent years.

Totally agree. I have to say, listening to 3 different examples of Billie's work hasn't exactly inspired me or made me jump for joy. Her voice is dreary, her songs make you want to slash your wrists.

I hope this isn't another token nod to being hip and trendy, and we end up with another DAD or AWTD - easily the 2 worst songs in the franchise.

EON got it spot on when they hired Adele, yet they seemed to have regressed again if this rumour is true.

You guys (or girls) throw around “hip and trendy” as a negative pejorative for anything you don’t like. You know what Adele was in 2012? She was hip and trendy. You know what Madonna wasn’t in 2002 despite her superstar status: hip and trendy. But she was (and is) popular.

Why is it wrong for EON or MGM to pick an artist with a young fan base? We haven’t heard the song but Billie Eilish’s musical style doesn’t seem inappropriate for a Bond title theme. Hip and trendy is okay so long as it’s fitting.

• James_StJohnSmytheJames_StJohnSmythe Twitter: @J_StJS /// https://www.instagram.com/james_st_john_smythe/
    edited January 2020 Posts: 21
    I'm guessing announcement today, makes sense as to why Zimmer was formally confirmed yesterday
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,400
    So it looks like Billie is hinting that she has indeed got the gig……………………..

I’ll confess, I find this thread fascinating. Seeing suggestions such as Sade and Guns and Roses, reminds me that there are a wide range of different people of all ages on this forum.

I’m 29. I prefer a slightly more irreverent and anarchic approach to things (that is – until it doesn’t work and I’ll be the first to moan). Personally I think Billie is what the franchise needs. She’s definitely not boring (unlike say Ed Sheeran or Dua Lipa).

In terms of songs that sound ‘Bondian’ – you’ll struggle to find anything mainly as she doesn’t have a ‘big’, ‘theatrical’ voice such as Adele, Sam Smith, Tina Turner, Mariah Carey or Beyonce, etc.

But her style is haunting and cool – and in my opinion, kinda moody and smokey. A little like a slightly more morose Lana Del Rey.

For example………………………………………………………….

1. Everything I wanted

This song hints at the quieter more moody style that Eilish has. It’s a seriously beautiful song that is a touch melancholic

2. Xanny

I’m really into the ambient tone on this song. Love when that heavy sound design kicks in – also Billie’s vocals at the end are on point.

3. When the Party’s Over

This song is by far the closest she has done to a traditional Bond ballad. I suspect we’ll get something close to this.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    EON understands that the film, as an artistic piece, is the ultimate determinate of its own successes, but hiring new and interesting talent helps too. It’s one thing not to like Eilish but your argument doesn’t track.

Producer machine artists are the only source of "new and interesting talent?" In many consensuses, Madonna's 'DAD,' Jack White and Alicia Key's 'AWTD' and Sam Smith's 'TWOTW,' are considered to be poor Bond themes, and I happen to agree. Sure, Duran were teeny boppers, to a certain extent, but they came from a different school. For that band, they are great musicians, and had the assistance of the late genius, John Barry.

Somehow, I don't think Hans Zimmer along with Billie Ellish or anyone of these producer cranked artists will create history, once history has already been made. I think it's safe to assume that lifelong Bond fans will always relate to many of the theme songs from yesteryear, along with the bombastic scores provided by such incredible composers as John Barry, Marvin Hamlisch or Bill Conti who added so much to the films.

It's not that I won't give it a chance, but I feel like so many opportunities for classic themes have gone to waste in recent years.

Totally agree. I have to say, listening to 3 different examples of Billie's work hasn't exactly inspired me or made me jump for joy. Her voice is dreary, her songs make you want to slash your wrists.

I hope this isn't another token nod to being hip and trendy, and we end up with another DAD or AWTD - easily the 2 worst songs in the franchise.

EON got it spot on when they hired Adele, yet they seemed to have regressed again if this rumour is true.

I'm not defending Eilsh but Adele's song works fine on the credits but on its own it is a dirge, she actually did much more dynamic songs previous to it.

YKMN is the only time the era got it right, the song so suits the approach and Arnold and Cornell knocked it out the park and then it go weaved into the score.

Yes Adele's song was a huge hit but as living outside of the credits which I think YKMN does it fails, it certainly isn't a song that could be heard on the radio like the classic Barry themes up to VTAK in 10 or more so years and sound great independent of the film.

I really wish she had given the song something dynamic, it just isn't there like it is in the Barry themes.

So no from a longevity point of view I don't think SF succeeded and say that as someone unlike yourself that loves the film and rates the score.
    I've no problem with whom they pick to do a Bond theme. As long as it's not a rap artist. I've always believed once the instrumentals reeks of Bond, with half a lyric, the singer turns it into a Bond song. It's even the reason Barry's OHMSS instrumental theme worked in the first place. And if an artist puts 'He loves only Gold' in another song it would sound out of place. It just gets to show that it isn't necessarily the singing that's important....but the song's production....coz it would definitely make the artist sound Bondian. One good example is AWTD....apart from the opening & closing secs, it had a poor instrumental work. Even the opening secs of Madonna's DAD was sounding Bondian....until it lost it's way into Dance music. It all depends on Billie Eilish's song production, once it sounds like one could put on a Tux & sip a martini....then she's nailed it.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Why don't they just let Bassey do it?????
  • suavejmf wrote: »

The marketing men would see Billie Eilish as a better draw.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

That would seem to be an odd coincidence! :)

Shardlake wrote: »

I'm not defending Eilsh but Adele's song works fine on the credits but on its own it is a dirge, she actually did much more dynamic songs previous to it.

YKMN is the only time the era got it right, the song so suits the approach and Arnold and Cornell knocked it out the park and then it go weaved into the score.

Yes Adele's song was a huge hit but as living outside of the credits which I think YKMN does it fails

Whereas I'd say YKMN works really well in the credits but is a bit of a nothing song outside of them.

Clearly lots of folks thought Skyfall did live outside of the film as it has sold over 7 million copies, whereas YKMN seems to have sold around 400,000.

GadgetMan wrote: »
    I've no problem with whom they pick to do a Bond theme. As long as it's not a rap artist.

I don't know: I wouldn't ever rule out one being able to make it work. I'd be open to it and I expect it will happen sooner or later.
    I'm sure a lot of folks here would say a Boy Band should never do it, and then turn around and say how much they like The Living Daylights!
    :)

Yes Adele's song was a huge hit but as living outside of the credits which I think YKMN does it fails

Whereas I'd say YKMN works really well in the credits but is a bit of a nothing song outside of them.

Clearly lots of folks thought Skyfall did live outside of the film as it has sold over 7 million copies, whereas YKMN seems to have sold around 400,000.

I've no problem with whom they pick to do a Bond theme. As long as it's not a rap artist.

I don't know: I wouldn't ever rule out one being able to make it work. I'd be open to it and I expect it will happen sooner or later.
    I'm sure a lot of folks here would say a Boy Band should never do it, and then turn around and say how much they like The Living Daylights!

:) are you serious?...a Rap Bond theme?....well, am sure you're just having fun. As for A-ha's theme....I don't think there's any doubt that it's such an excellent Bond theme...that gives the film a Romantic Adventure feel.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Skyfall was sang by Adele it was guaranteed, that isn't down to the song being amazing, that is down to how a phenomenon that Adele was back then.

Smith got to no. in UK with his song are saying that makes it better than the others?

Also Cornell played it live and it appeared on his album, I've heard many say that the song grew on them as time went on, I actually grew to love it even more over the years and I'm not on my own.

I can't see Adele's song getting anymore popular that it was, it plateaued straight away and has nowhere else to go.

We Have all the time in the world didn't set the world alight at the time when released and that is one of the highlights of the series full stop, it took a Guinness ad campaign more than 2 decades later to make it a hit.

That is just a great song period. Same goes for Nobody Does it Better. I could mention a good few from the 60s right up to the 80s that would feel the same.

Those songs will play on the radio and feel like great songs in their own right, I just can't see that with Adele's Skyfall.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I'm serious: no reason to be closed to new things. A rap song can still be grand and
    epic and orchestral and dangerous etc.
    Give me Stormzy over Mick Hucknall any day!
  • BMWTREKPSEBMWTREKPSE Colorado
    edited January 2020 Posts: 105
    Billie Eilish.......Literally WTF is this shit????

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DyDfgMOUjCI

Who knows, maybe she can come up with something that will fit the theme really well. I wasn't (and am not) a Sam Smith fan, but I liked Writings On The Wall well enough. After watching a few music videos on Youtube though.....I'm a hard pass on BE.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    With Billie Eilish I can hear it in her voice not so much the production of her songs so hopefully they can marry the Bond-esque type production with her voice.
    antovolk wrote: »
    I'm guessing announcement today, makes sense as to why Zimmer was formally confirmed yesterday

You think?

Adele and Sam Smith were announced around 5/6 weeks before the film's release. Even though there were hundreds of rumours of their involvement. I think the marketing machine won't let the 'official' news drop till mid to late February. Especially as Eilish is expected to win big at the Grammys.

I get @BMWTREKPSE reaction - but i think her style is really cool. it may not age well - but i'm into it. Try watching a live unplugged version with just a piano. It's rather terrific. (Also I tend to not watch her whilst she's singing as he look is a little distracting)

But @Pierce2Daniel I'd take Eilish's Bond girls tease to be akin to when Smith posted an image of the Spectre ring. So I'll be surprised if we don't get something official this week.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    But @Pierce2Daniel I'd take Eilish's Bond girls tease to be akin to when Smith posted an image of the Spectre ring. So I'll be surprised if we don't get something official this week.

Hmmm....she's doing it in response to the rumours. They won't reveal anything before her big night at the Grammys where she's destined to dominate. It feeds their narrative better to wait.

I don't think we will get an official announcement till nearer the release, probably with a video blog of her talking about it.

But, the trades are now reporting that she's the frontrunner.....

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    The German edition of ROLLING STONE writes, that Billie Eilish IS doing the NTTD song. Not rumour. But then, how reliable is this?

Billie Eilish singt den neuen James-Bond-Song zu „No Time To Die“
    Berichten zufolge konnte Superstar Billie Eilish für den Titelsong zu „No Time To Die“ gewonnen werden.
    AUSTIN, TEXAS - OCTOBER 12: Billie Eilish performs during Austin City Limits Festival at Zilker Park on October 12, 2019 in A
    Billie Eilish
    Foto: Getty Images. All rights reserved.
    Das wird Sie auch interessieren

So talentiert war Billie Eilish schon als kleines Mädchen
    Billie Eilish: So sieht sie mit ihrer echten Haarfarbe aus
    Wolfgang Van Halen: Verurteilt Billie Eilish nicht dafür, dass sie Van Halen nicht kennt!

Die James-Bond-Produzenten hätten da wohl einen echten Coup gelandet: den kommenden, noch unbetitelten Titelsong des nächsten 007-Abenteuers soll Billie Eilish singen. Die 18-jährige wäre damit nicht nur jüngste Bond-Interpretin aller Zeiten, die Broccoli-Familie hätte sich damit auch einen echten Superstar geangelt. Jemand, der in derselben Liga spielt wie Adele („Skyfall“), Paul McCartney („Live and Let Die“) und Madonna („Die Another Day“).

Die Fanseite MI6 vermeldete den Deal. Ob Eilishs Beitrag, so wie „Bond 25“, den Titel „No Time To Die“ tragen wird, ist noch unklar. Ebenso, ob Soundtrack-Komponist Hans Zimmer am Lied mitschreiben wird. Der Film startet am 02. April in den deutschen Kinos.Berichten zufolge konnte Superstar Billie Eilish für den Titelsong zu „No Time To Die“ gewonnen werden.

So talentiert war Billie Eilish schon als kleines Mädchen
    Billie Eilish: So sieht sie mit ihrer echten Haarfarbe aus
    Wolfgang Van Halen: Verurteilt Billie Eilish nicht dafür, dass sie Van Halen nicht kennt!

Die James-Bond-Produzenten hätten da wohl einen echten Coup gelandet: den kommenden, noch unbetitelten Titelsong des nächsten 007-Abenteuers soll Billie Eilish singen. Die 18-jährige wäre damit nicht nur jüngste Bond-Interpretin aller Zeiten, die Broccoli-Familie hätte sich damit auch einen echten Superstar geangelt. Jemand, der in derselben Liga spielt wie Adele („Skyfall“), Paul McCartney („Live and Let Die“) und Madonna („Die Another Day“).
    Les Diamants sont Eternels Diamonds are forever de GuyHamilton 1971 James Bond agent 007
    Ranking: die besten und die schlechtesten James-Bond-Songs
     Fotostrecke: Ranking: 24-1. Die besten und die schlechtesten James-Bond-Songs

Die Fanseite MI6 vermeldete den Deal. Ob Eilishs Beitrag, so wie „Bond 25“, den Titel „No Time To Die“ tragen wird, ist noch unklar. Ebenso, ob Soundtrack-Komponist Hans Zimmer am Lied mitschreiben wird. Der Film startet am 02. April in den deutschen Kinos.
    [\spoiler]

https://www.rollingstone.de/billie-eilish-james-bond-titelsong-no-time-to-die-1889847/
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,343
    suavejmf wrote: »

Because it is time for something fresh.
    Confirmed by EON! Billie Eilish to sing the NTTD title theme.

CONFIRMED: Billie Eilish to sing the NTTD title song

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    antovolk wrote: »

You guessed right!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So this song was written with her brother and surely is completely finished by now, I think. Still interesting that Beyonce did tease NTTD with her Instagram photos, too. She certainly doesn't need the publicity.

I'm open minded about Billie. The title song can uplift a Bond film. But a bad one, fortunately, doesn't really matter much and does not hinder the film much.

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Good job, @antovolk! :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Just a quick return to say this is an inspired choice and expect something amazing! While appearances may make her seem like an odd choice to some, her talent is insane and I think she's gonna pull it off. Hope everyone's good, gonna return to my safehouse now haha :D
This discussion has been closed.