The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't understand how anyone could have blind faith in a party/pollitician. They're all the same. None of them give two shits about the NHS, until it comes time to manipulate the gullible dolts that repeatedly vote for them no matter how much they lie, or how useless they are. I would say that I could switch my vote at any time, but there isn't one party I trust. On December the 12th, I won't be voting.

A few minutes ago, I had a leaflet through my door from Welsh Labour. As it's card, I can't use it as toilet paper, so straight in the bin it went.
  • SafinDuplessisSafinDuplessis the United Kingdom. Cornwall.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 22
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I vote for Brexit. Let's keep it simple, safe and Make the UK Great Again! But I respect all views!

It's a funny slogan--and only a slogan; it really isn't much more than that.

True, but what more does it need to be? Any more words added to it and its no longer a slogan, now is it? its just a simple slogan to get into the spirit of things. People will have to do their own research and come to their own conclusions, I don't believe any one is swayed by just a simple slogan lets give the lads credit
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I vote for Brexit. Let's keep it simple, safe and Make the UK Great Again! But I respect all views!

True, but what more does it need to be? Any more words added to it and its no longer a slogan, now is it? its just a simple slogan to get into the spirit of things. People will have to do their own research and come to their own conclusions, I don't believe any one is swayed by just a simple slogan lets give the lads credit

It won't make the UK great again and anyone that buys into this crap is utterly deluded.

The days of the UK being great when we are well an truly left will be done, especially if it's no deal as well.

If your idea of the UK being a tax exile for the rich where the divide is even more extreme than it already is, if that is your idea of great.....
    The most important decision for UK voters to make and all we've got is a funny slogan.
    Brexit plan is "Oven Ready" - tragic at every level, overly simplistic, child like, patronising, sums up perfectly where politics is in the UK at the moment.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

You do realise that people like these

fan-nc-state-college-football-fan-2012-waving-shirt.gif

get to vote too, don't you?

"You voting for Brexit there, mate?"
    "Of course! It will make Britain great again, didn't you hear?"
    "I guess. Let me buy you a beer and let's get smashed."
    patb wrote: »
    Brexit plan is "Oven Ready" - tragic at every level, overly simplistic, child like, patronising, sums up perfectly where politics is in the UK at the moment.

Not only in the UK. Simplistic populism is trending all over the world these days unfortunately.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

@DarthDimi ,do you know any background to said person? He might be a doktor for all you know... (yes, they behave like idiots too, we had one in my city crash his landrover discovery on the highway at 200KM/H whilst texting. He was a very talented surgeon).

I'd just refer to Onslow from Keeping up appearences if you want to make that point ;-)

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2019 Posts: 17,806

@DarthDimi ,do you know any background to said person? He might be a doktor for all you know... (yes, they behave like idiots too, we had one in my city crash his landrover discovery on the highway at 200KM/H whilst texting. He was a very talented surgeon).

I'd just refer to Onslow from Keeping up appearences if you want to make that point ;-)

That's all certainly true, @CommanderRoss plus those are clearly Americans so it's not really the best image to use to make a point about how those who voted for Brexit were stupid and ill-informed.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Thats all certainly true, @CommanderRoss plus those are clearly Americans so it's not really the best image to use to make a point about how those who voted for Brexit were stupid and ill-informed.

Indeed.
    tumblr_p3hodkAxsA1wctw8lo2_400.gif

Thats all certainly true, @CommanderRoss plus those are clearly Americans so it's not really the best image to use to make a point about how those who voted for Brexit were stupid and ill-informed.

Hence why I wrote, "people like these".
    edited December 2019 Posts: 7,973

Hence why I wrote, "people like these".

And that's why I said you should be more careful, as 1. the guy might just as well be a Uni professor and 2. Americans aren't allowed to vote.

In Britain.

;-)
    If we're to believe the "United States is a Republic, not a Democracy" crew, they're not even allowed to vote in the US. >:)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The exit poll looks to give a big win to the conservatives.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Britain is f*%£ed
    The people have spoken is seems. I am very pleased with the results so far. "It appears you have been beaten." -Valentin Zukofsky
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    If this exit poll is correct Corbyn will be gone by tomorrow.
    Out with the lad, I'll show him the door myself. A very nice man I did have the occasion to meet him two times, working in local government some time back, so its not personal. Onward to a well deserved victory Torys
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2019 Posts: 12,459
    This is such a sad, truly tragic day for the UK. This election will hurt the British people for a great many years to come. Brexit seems destined to happen, and in the harshest way. We are living in a period of history that is really momentous, but not in a good way.
    The bigotry and racism will continue to fester and spew also (no matter whether you want Brexit to happen or not). It is a sad and even fearful time. Absolutely horrible, and I feel for all my British friends. I have to believe the British people will overcome this, but it will take time and some things will be irreparable. Very sad indeed. No way to paint this with a "happy" brush at all.
    jobo wrote: »
    patb wrote: »

Not only in the UK. Simplistic populism is trending all over the world these days unfortunately.

Yes, I agree with both of you. This is a huge moment in history, and we will need to try our best, our hardest to make the future be good, and not go into a dark period where the rich rule, the power hungry gain more power at the expense of all other people, intolerance is championed blatantly, and humanity is ground down. To put it in simplest terms, but yeah. These are very serious times indeed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,690
    This is a huge moment in history, and we will need to try our best, our hardest to make the future be good, and not go into a dark period where the rich rule, the power hungry gain more power at the expense of all other people, intolerance is championed blatantly, and humanity is ground down. To put it in simplest terms, but yeah. These are very serious times indeed.
    I have to believe the British people will overcome this, but it will take time and some things will be irreparable.

The British people who will be hit/affected the most by a hard Brexit (the North, Midlands and Wales) have voted for the Tories in overwhelming numbers. And this is after a majority of people in these areas voted in favour of Brexit in the 2016 referendum in the first place. So I am sorry to say, but there is no ''we will try our best'' or belief/faith to be given to the British population when they knowingly vote against their own interests.

And this will be the same answer I'll give when Trump gets re-elected in the 2020 US election, which I believe is a very real possibility.
    Well, the public (everybody) has to endure and try their best no matter what. No other choice, unless giving up is considered a good choice.

I won't mention the U.S. scene here. It will get resolved.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Well, the public (everybody) has to endure and try their best no matter what. No other choice, unless giving up is considered a good choice.

I won't mention the U.S. scene here. It will get resolved.

A no-deal Brexit seems like a good choice, as the majority of those that will be the most affected by that decision have voted in favour of it twice. So I'd say giving up is also a good choice as ''giving up'' is precisely what a majority has voted for.

As for the US scene, my final comment is that their current situation will (hopefully) be resolved when Trump (hopefully) leaves the White House in January 2025.

So is he going to get Brexit done in 11 months?
    vzok wrote: »
    So is he going to get Brexit done in 11 months?

Doubtful.
    It's one thing for the people to "have spoken", it's another thing entirely to make the political magic happen.
    What do we want?
    Brexit!
    When do we want it?
    Now!
    How do we do it?

jobo wrote: »
    What do we want?
    Brexit!
    When do we want it?
    Now!
    How do we do it?

Sums it up nicely. :D
    He's got an oven ready plan.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,690
    The referendum was in June 2016, that's almost 3 and a half years ago. You've had more than 3 years to inform yourself better since then. Time and time again it's been proven that the pro-Brexit campaign was based on lies & had strings pulled by Russia. Time and time again it was proven that Boris Johnson and his party lied over and over again about their objectives and their promises. And the end result is that a majority of those who would be, by far, the most affected by a no-deal Brexit actually voted for the party that would deliver no-deal Brexit.

So yes, it is time to give up as it's the only option you have left. This election's results make it clear that even a second referendum would likely end in favour of Brexit yet again. If 3.5 years changed absolutely nothing, if 3.5 years actually made it worse (people are now willingly voting for a No-Deal), then I do not know what possible solution anyone can come up with.
    @vzok - Yeah that kind of thing, comments like that, no matter how it's said, all make me sick. I don't take that kind of humor well, just don't tolerate it.

Anyway, I'm off. God bless us everyone, as Tiny Tim says. ;) We'll need it.
This discussion has been closed.