The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

Beggars belief what a mess and farce this thing has become.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,702
    Scylla wrote: »
    Just to set a few things straight here:

We in the UK live in a representative democracy (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy). What you see happening at Parliament, today or any day since you care to remember, is ‘the will of the people’. Not some shouting match on the Internet or on the streets. Our politics happens exclusively through elections, not over headlines, referenda or kickback corruption. MPs represent their voters’ interests and those of the country in all conscience and to their best knowledge and belief. This is a great treasure countless people around the globe would give a lot for - many even died for something like it.

To suggest otherwise, with all due respect, is doing a disservice to this democracy and its core fundamentals. What you see is the result of our free elections, is democracy at work. You do not smear it with impunity. Our system, fallible as it may be, is still the best we have.

As I've stated here before, it isn't, by far, the 'best we have'. It's the best the UK has as it's the only thing the UK has, but when it comes to the world there are still better options:

1. the best (IMO) is direct Democracy. It means everybody needs to vote many times a year, but it's by far the best system there is:
    https://www.ch.ch/en/demokratie/political-rights/referendum/
    2. even if you want a representative democracy, a multi-party system is far superior to the two-party system you have. Same goes for the one-man-one-vote system compared to your district system. I would even go as far as saying it's the two-party system and it's shortcomings that got you in this political mess. Look at New Zealand: they went from a two-party to a multi-party system. They've had a far more stable government ever since.

I've long ago decided to let the Brits work out their Brexit problem (and yes, either way it is a problem) for themselves. But I do have my opinion. As for your two issues, I do not share the first at all, while fully endorsing the other.

It may be that direct democracy works fine in Switzerland. But I do think that examples of direct democracy in other places, notably Germany, should deter people from trying any further. There is no referendum in federal matters except the rearrangement of Länder (states/provinces), as determined by the Grundgesetz (Constitution). Thank you.

There are referendums/direct democracy votes on a Land level. History has shown (in Germany) that most people don't care enough to even go and vote (and quite rightly so - after all they elected a parliament to take care of those things). It is only those people who follow the "not in my backyard" route that are interested in killing projects of any kind that become active, or who wish to express their basic opposition to the government. There is only one example where a major project was approved after being subjected to a referendum: The rebuilding of the Stuttgart central station ("Stuttgart 21"), changing it from a terminus to a through station and putting it underground. I am still convinced that that was only possible because the state government was AGAINST it. Even in that case, people didn't care about the matter itself, but simply wanted to sock it to those in charge.

You can't run a country like that. We elect parliaments because we are aware that virtually no member of the general electorate has the time and means to inform him-/herself about the important facts and detailed circumstances of political and other important projects. Parliamentarians are entrusted with the job of relieving the electorate from doing that work, and (exceptions notwithstanding) I think they have been doing an outstanding job for the last 70 years in Germany. I find parliamentary decisions by a body elected typically by more than 65 per cent of voters infinitely more democratic than the result of a referendum in which only 25 or 30 percent even go and vote, and it's typically those who think they are negatively affected.

I think a parliament that feels it has to follow a narrow "victory" of a single majority in what was probably a momentary, gut-feeling referendum, without any constitutional rule requiring them to do so and without considering the repercussions for the future, is not doing its job. They should know better. Which is why I am very pleased that long ago our constitution was changed to demand a two-thirds majority by both chambers of the parliament for decisions concerning German membership in the European Union. Membership is very much a constitutional issue, and it should be treated as such and not as a casual decision based on somebody's whim.

As for the second issue, yes of course. The "first past the post" system reduces everything to basically a two-party system, and everyone outside the US and UK knows that it isn't really democratic. On the other hand, other people feel differently. I remember explaining the German system of two votes (one for an individual candidate, one for a party list to determine proportional representation) to the class in my US high school in 1974, and the answer was "But that wouldn't be democratic". But then, I as a more-or-less conservative was also asked "You're a Communist, aren't you?" at the time.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I'm a Remainer but hard to see how this ends well.

I was imagining the Remain strategy was to support Johnson's deal with an amendment that it must go to a second referendum but I don't see that happening.

Sad thing is that if he gets his deal through that will only mark the end of the beginning. This disaster is going to run and run for years.

No one even claims there are any advantages to Brexit any more. It's just "let's knee cap ourselves and get it over with".

Encapsulates Britain and much of the rest of the world in 2019.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,279
    Getafix wrote: »

I'm a Remainer but hard to see how this ends well.

I was imagining the Remain strategy was to support Johnson's deal with an amendment that it must go to a second referendum but I don't see that happening.

Sad thing is that if he gets his deal through that will only mark the end of the beginning. This disaster is going to run and run for years.

No one even claims there are any advantages to Brexit any more. It's just "let's knee cap ourselves and get it over with".

Encapsulates Britain and much of the rest of the world in 2019.

I agree. I also think there is no going back anymore, asking the EU if we can rejoin. The country is too divided now, even if there was a second referendum and it went slightly in favour of Remain this time round. Leavers would never accept that result, the same way Remainers have never accepted the 2016 result.

Worst case scenarios in the next few years -

1) UK leaves and manages to thrive independently, and the EU slowly crumbles and splits off the back of it. This is no good for Europe in general.

2) UK leaves, plunges into recession, and the UK nations splits internally, while the EU manages to prosper. This is no good for the UK.

3) UK leaves, plunges into recession, and the EU also falls into deep recession, and eventually splits. No good for anyone.

4) UK doesn't leave for at least another year, due to constant blocking by Parliament, recession then ensues, a second referendum is called for, causing more delay which keeps UK firmly in recession during that period, and then the result of that referendum divides and splits the UK even further - whichever way the outcome falls. Parliament then has to act on the result of the second referendum, and may well still be at a deadlock, while civil unrest becomes more active and troubling. If Leave win, the Remainers in Parliament will still try to block that, and if Remain win, the Leavers in Parliament will try to block that too, due to not accepting the first referendum wasn't honoured.

I know for Remainers the ideal scenario is a second referendum which Remain wins, the Leavers graciously accept defeat and go quietly away, the UK rejoin the EU, and we pretend the past 3 years were like a bad dream that didn't really happen, Bobby Ewing Dallas shower style. This isn't going to happen. The whole fundamental basis of Democracy will be at stake. The Leavers and Remainers are bitterly fixed and entrenched in their camps now, and neither side is going to take the result of a second referendum quietly. If Leave win again, I cannot see Remainers quietly going away either, graciously admitting defeat.

A Pandora's Box was opened in 2016, and it is impossible to close the lid on it now.

The best case scenario is that the UK leaves and becomes independently successful, while the EU equally continues to thrive and be successful. But that really is wishful thinking...

Just said on Sky news the EU could give an extension to January 31st 2020? But who knows what will be decided?
    Just said on Sky news the EU could give an extension to January 31st 2020? But who knows what will be decided?

No one knows anymore. All bets are off.

My prediction as it stands today is Boris gets his deal through Parliament. But tomorrow is another day, when Parliament may not vote it through, and the EU may not grant us an extension, meaning we crash out with No Deal.

The gift of Brexit that keeps on giving. It's like watching an unpredictable Netflix drama unfold, and we are now into the final season, where anything could happen.

I can't wait for the last episode...

My prediction as it stands today is Boris gets his deal through Parliament. But tomorrow is another day, when Parliament may not vote it through, and the EU may not grant us an extension, meaning we crash out with No Deal.

The gift of Brexit that keeps on giving. It's like watching an unpredictable Netflix drama unfold, and we are now into the final season, where anything could happen.

The end of this whenever it comes? Is just the beginning! Then it will all be about the new deals and arrangements.....etc!!! ~X( :-h :))
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

The end of this whenever it comes? Is just the beginning! Then it will all be about the new deals and arrangements.....etc!!! ~X( :-h :))

I think it's safe to say that the EU will give any and every extension required...after all, it preserves the status quo, so what's the drawback? - and it is (as it has been from the beginning) entirely a British problem to decide on a way and date of getting out. Economically speaking, the UK remaining is commercially favourable to everyone involved (the UK seems to be the only country disputing this, but only for ideological reasons), so the EU is in no hurry to get rid of them (whatever the common EU citizen thinks about this in the meantime, which is probably a hearty "good riddance" on whatever terms).
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

I think it's safe to say that the EU will give any and every extension required...after all, it preserves the status quo, so what's the drawback? - and it is (as it has been from the beginning) entirely a British problem to decide on a way and date of getting out. Economically speaking, the UK remaining is commercially favourable to everyone involved (the UK seems to be the only country disputing this, but only for ideological reasons), so the EU is in no hurry to get rid of them (whatever the common EU citizen thinks about this in the meantime, which is probably a hearty "good riddance" on whatever terms).

I think Guy Verhoftstad has certainly had it up to the back teeth looking at an interview clip not too long ago.
  • Good grief, just make a decision and go with it. The rest will work itself. The UK isn't going into the dark ages either way...the UK probably has the best ties of any EU country with countries outside the EU. The human race is more resilient than we lead ourselves to believe, especially in times of crisis.

The worst thing the UK can do is dwell in indecision. It just ain't sexy and makes the UK appear weak - no matter the result. There's gonna be retaliation from one group or another either way, so stare it down and overcome.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

I wouldn't be too sure the EU will happily grant us another extension until January next year anymore.

The way Sky reported the mood in Brussels earlier, they said they've never seen the EU look so angry. I have a sneaky feeling they will tell us to do one in the next few days, and rightly so too. If I was them I'd have had enough of dealing with us too.

We are a laughing stock as a country, and a shambles of a Parliament.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    No 10 to abandon Brexit bill if MPs vote down timetable for its debate and EU confirms delay.

The government will abandon efforts to get its Brexit deal legislation through if MPs vote against the timetable this evening. If the EU the offers a delay, as is expected, the government will try to push straight for a general election and would not put any more legislation through, essentially going on strike.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50142367
    Bloody hell what a mess.
    I couldn't care less if we go or stay now,i just want it over.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Bloody hell what a mess.

Looks like you'll be getting a General Election around Christmas time before any new plans on whether Brexit happens or not.
    Remember remember the 5th of November
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Bloody hell what a mess.

Looks like you'll be getting a General Election around Christmas time before any new plans on whether Brexit happens or not.

Sure does *shakes head in dismay*
    vzok wrote: »
    Remember remember the 5th of November

Gunpowder,treason and plot.....sounds about right !!
    Well, Guy Fawkes was the only man ever to enter Parliament with honest intentions. :D
    edited October 2019 Posts: 15,691
    MPs have voted to approve the EU (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50146182
    MPs have rejected a proposal to examine Boris Johnson's Brexit bill in the Commons in three days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50146182
    No 10 to abandon Brexit bill if MPs vote down timetable for its debate and EU confirms delay.

The government will abandon efforts to get its Brexit deal legislation through if MPs vote against the timetable this evening. If the EU the offers a delay, as is expected, the government will try to push straight for a general election and would not put any more legislation through, essentially going on strike.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50142367

The worst thing for a postman is how mad it is during the festive period! For god sake don't add Election material to my work load!!!!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The worst thing for a postman is how mad it is during the festive period! For god sake don't add Election material to my work load!!!!

Just go on strike as well at that timeperiod.... see what happens then :-D

That would mess up the democracy called UK not seriously though as the world has seen the last years how self serving the English politicians really are.

That said I would like see the Brexit affairs of the UK settled one way or another.

Just learned that if a GE is called before Christmas? This will supersede a Trade Union strike and a court could well place an injunction to halt the strike? This is because people will want their election flyers!!! :)) Never heard that one before, but I bet the company will jump at that!
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 11,425
    SaintMark wrote: »

That would mess up the democracy called UK not seriously though as the world has seen the last years how self serving the English politicians really are.

That said I would like see the Brexit affairs of the UK settled one way or another.

Johnson's deal settles nothing. Just opens a whole new can of worms. Brexit has no end.
    Getafix wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »

Johnson's deal settles nothing. Just opens a whole new can of worms. Brexit has no end.

If anybody had foreseen the mess the referendum created I doubt any body would have voted in favor, a nice present from a parting Prime-minister even dead pigs are not save from him.
    Boris Johnson has said he will give MPs more time to debate Brexit deal, but only if they agree to a 12 December general election.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50174402
    Boris Johnson has said he will give MPs more time to debate Brexit deal, but only if they agree to a 12 December general election.

My worst fears as a postman at Christmas!!!! ~X( :-t

Will this be you at Christmas, @RogueAgent ? ;)

1997-the-postman-poster3.jpg

Will this be you at Christmas, @RogueAgent ? ;)

1997-the-postman-poster3.jpg

:)) I will probably look like that by the end of it! Lol!!!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It's only because he won't have time for his hobby:
    PostmanAlwaysRingsTwice.jpg
This discussion has been closed.