The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

• I'll be obviously be voting Labour but that's more a result of me wanting the right to complain and remind people over the next few years that we had a chance of actually changing things than it is me thinking they might actually win. Oh well. We deserve everything that's coming to us.

I don't even feel like we can make fun of America for electing Trump anymore. If Boris stays in power we'll really be just as bad.
    Well we left on October 31st as Boris 'never lies' Johnson told us.

Er... hold on a second...

Nope, we're still in the EU!

:-S
    I'm predicting a Tory majority. Not quite a landslide, but a big enough one to govern, and get Brexit through more easily, maybe even before the end of the year.

Lib Dems will also have a great night, snatching up seats from Labour and the Tories, whereas I think this election will be the death of Labour in its current state. After this Corbyn will resign, and the party will rebrand itself into a more modernised centre left party again.

• edited November 2019 Posts: 11,425
    I'm predicting a Tory majority. Not quite a landslide, but a big enough one to govern, and get Brexit through more easily, maybe even before the end of the year.

Lib Dems will also have a great night, snatching up seats from Labour and the Tories, whereas I think this election will be the death of Labour in its current state. After this Corbyn will resign, and the party will rebrand itself into a more modernised centre left party again.

That's my instinct too. But... Johnson is actually really bad. He comes across like he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about on TV and in the Commons. He's not the brilliant communicator some make him out to be. Corbyn often comes across as more coherent and definitely more sincere/trustworthy.

I am not saying you are wrong but just that things are quite unpredictable.

I still think a Tory victory with a small to medium overall majority is most likely, but in the current climate almost anything is possible. People have made so many predictions over the last 3 years, usually wrong.

One scenario that had not previously occurred to me that could be a game changer is that the Tories are the largest party but the Lib Dems and/or SNP are king maker's. So take Labour out of it and imagine Johnson is the leader of the biggest party but has to make a deal with the Lib Dems to govern. They would never go into another coalition but they might provide support for less contentious legislation on the condition that Johnson agreed to a second referendum.

That potentially changes everything.

Also need to bear in mind that Johnson's deal is objectively awful. The more people see that (esp Leavers) who knows what might happen.

• fanbond123 wrote: »
    Well we left on October 31st as Boris 'never lies' Johnson told us.

Er... hold on a second...

Nope, we're still in the EU!

:-S

Yes because he was compelled by law to ask for an extension.
    BBC said yesterday that Boris has already got a big lead on Corbyn.

So,i think we are looking at a Tory majority,and Boris to carry on....strange times.
    Tories went into the last election with an even bigger lead in the opinion polls and ended up doing quite badly, so the polling right now may not be a reliable indicator.

A lot is going to depend on what Farage decides to do.
    Good old Nige! He may turn out to be the next Prime Minister. ;)) If Donald Trump can be US president than Nigel 'milkshake' Farage can be PM. There's 17.4 million disaffected leavers out there that could vote Brexit!
    Getafix wrote: »
    Tories went into the last election with an even bigger lead in the opinion polls and ended up doing quite badly, so the polling right now may not be a reliable indicator.

A lot is going to depend on what Farage decides to do.

Oh of course,its only early days,lots of twists to come,for sure.
    More interesting times ahead!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Here's a little present to lighten the Brexit mood:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0009t5q
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Here's a little present to lighten the Brexit mood:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0009t5q

Seems like the way it went down.

Funny, I usd to be able to predict what political choices would be made. But now, I haven't got a clue anymore. I can't fathom those conservative extremists, both in the US and UK. They seem only out to destroy, instead of acepting any deal at all. Is this the counter of post-modernist thinking? That facts and other opinions can be ignored? I wish the Brits all the best. All I see is that they're beeing held ransom by some old extremists. Either stay or leave doesn't even come into it anymore.

I personally hope the Libdems will get as much of the vote as possible, only to balance these extremists in the Coservative party whom seem to have way too much influence.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If the Tories get back in with a majority we deserve all we get.

Brexit was an utter sham from the beginning and those that voted for it are going to get a rude awakening when they realise they've been played by the elite.

You've got to admire the genius of it to convince a section of the public that Johnson, Mogg & Farage are for the people and they are against the establishment, seriously if you believed this you are stupid.

Bankrolled by the likes of the odious Aaron Banks.

This for them is about being regulated tax wise, something the EU are due to crack down on.

It certainly wasn't about improving the NHS or making the standard of living better for the average working person.

Buying into the idea that Jeremy Corbyn is more dangerous than them lot, yes you"ve well and truly been suckered.

Though anyone that votes tory and isn't filthy rich is a Turkey voting for Christmas and has always been.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Shardlake wrote: »

Brexit was an utter sham from the beginning and those that voted for it are going to get a rude awakening when they realise they've been played by the elite.

You've got to admire the genius of it to convince a section of the public that Johnson, Mogg & Farage are for the people and they are against the establishment, seriously if you believed this you are stupid.

This for them is about being regulated tax wise, something the EU are due to crack down on.

It certainly wasn't about improving the NHS or making the standard of living better for the average working person.

Buying into the idea that Jeremy Corbyn is more dangerous than them lot, yes you"ve well and truly been suckered.

Though anyone that votes tory and isn't filthy rich is a Turkey voting for Christmas and has always been.

This basically adds up all the problems with the two party system, a problem continental EUrope has with 'for EU'or 'against EU'. There are plenty of arguments for and against, but, other than not beeing able to have a valid discussion about it, it seems that if leaving or at least limiting the EU is important to you, you by definition end up on the conservative side or either left- or rightwing extremists. Which middle-of-the-road liberal wants to limit the EU? None, as thy all see career possibillities there. Politicians from all sides these days are only going for their own welbeeing, not for the 'greater good', or 'public interest'(whichever suits your philosophy the most).

Personally I'm fundamentally agains putting so much power in the hands of so few. See the USA for what will no doubt happen/ is happening: corruption, and the benefits go to the big lobby firms. The sole exception until now has been the GDPR.

Pretty insane. British security services have produced a report on foreign interference in the Brexit referendum and UK elections and Boris Johnson is refusing to release it before the general election.

Could he possibly have something he wishes to hide about Russian interference in the referendum?

The man is utterly morally bankrupt.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/05/russia-brexit-vote-election-boris-johnson-intelligence-committee-report
  • Shardlake wrote: »

Absolutely, don't doubt it.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Pretty insane. British security services have produced a report on foreign interference in the Brexit referendum and UK elections and Boris Johnson is refusing to release it before the general election.

Could he possibly have something he wishes to hide about Russian interference in the referendum?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/05/russia-brexit-vote-election-boris-johnson-intelligence-committee-report

Yeah they should lock him up really shouldn't they?
    Had University class the other day. Brexit came up as an example of how lying and deceiving had resulted in 'the poeple' voting against their own interest. Funny how many of these students have difficulty distinguishing fact from their own opinion.

Nobody knows if it would've been in their own interest as 1. there still is no Brexit and 2. the execution (or lack there-of) obviously has nothing to do with the idea of Brexit.

The only example I could think of was the Jews voting for AH's NAZI party in the 1930ies. That was for sure voting agianst their own interest.
  • Getafix wrote: »

Yeah they should lock him up really shouldn't they?

Dare I use the "T" word in this context?
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Sorry guys - had to share this one...

I guess it's a fair summation of Boris.

@CommanderRoss - I've really fallen out of love with Labour and Corbyn lately, cause they're all fighting this election in the gutter and I'm consistently disgusted by what I see every day. But the sentiment in the video I posted is correct. In my opinion we've got to do everything we can to get Boris out of Number 10.

So when I tick the Labour box on the ballot paper, I WILL be holding my nose and doing it through gritted teeth. As far as I'm concerned they're all as bad as each other.

I wish we were allowed to swear in this forum sometimes, I really do.
    BondStu wrote: »

@CommanderRoss - I've really fallen out of love with Labour and Corbyn lately, cause they're all fighting this election in the gutter and I'm consistently disgusted by what I see every day. But the sentiment in the video I posted is correct. In my opinion we've got to do everything we can to get Boris out of Number 10.

So when I tick the Labour box on the ballot paper, I WILL be holding my nose and doing it through gritted teeth. As far as I'm concerned they're all as bad as each other.

To my mind you guys have nothing to choose from. Either party is as unrealistic and stubborn as the other, devoid of any realism. I'm just happy I'm living in a multi-party democracy. However bad it gets, it never gets as bad as in a two party system getting bad....
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 7,500

Well, I will always remember Boris best for "I AM INVINCIBLE!" ;)
    @CommanderRoss yeah. I'm middle aged and I've seen and voted in quite a few elections in my lifetime. But I've never seen one fought as dirty as this.
    I can get behind the idea of getting Boris Johnson out of Number 10, but I know to do that I have to put another charlatan in power. And I have to be WILLING to do it.
    When it comes to Brexit I voted Remain. So with the whole three year crisis we've had since I've been able to say "None of this is my fault".
    And there you have the crux of why it's a problem to be British right now. Cause it's us the voter who's accountable. That's what Brexit has done.
    That's going to carry over into this election.

We've seriously got to know what we're doing here.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Don't worry about it. There was already enough swearing in the video you posted above to last us this week.
    jobo wrote: »

Well, I will always remember Boris best for "I AM INVINCIBLE!" ;)

True, and I'm sure that he will be invincible at the ballot box very soon too. ;)
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,043
    The joke is even if Johnson returns to no. 10 on Friday, Brexit is going to go on for years.

Even if we leave without a deal its not over, this fantasy that it will all be done is ludicrous.

People who voted for Brexit and still want it are going to learn a long hard lesson like the rest of us.

@BondStu since when has Corbyn resorted to the underhand tactics of the Tories?

Have you seen some of the blatant lies that have been spread since this campaign started?

If Labour have told some lies it pales in comparison to the Nazi like propaganda machine the Tories have employed.

Labour does not have the support of the billionaire press or have the BBC (British Biased Company) in their back pocket.

Quite how do you expect them to fight this election?
  • SafinDuplessisSafinDuplessis the United Kingdom. Cornwall.
    I vote for Brexit. Let's keep it simple, safe and Make the UK Great Again! But I respect all views!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2019 Posts: 23,550
    I vote for Brexit. Let's keep it simple, safe and Make the UK Great Again! But I respect all views!

It's a funny slogan--and only a slogan; it really isn't much more than that. And it has been used before, throughout the decades, rarely to any lasting effect. It says nothing, except what people with nationalistic tendencies want to hear. But it reveals nothing about the how, the when, the whom... It doesn't define "great" either, which is the fundamental problem. For as the heart of the global economy is shifting towards the Pacific, little Europe will be rendered powerless unless it remains one big player. With splintered off nations, like the UK, we're drifting ever farther away from being "great", whatever it means. When a disgruntled child abandons his former friends to play on his own, how can he end up "great"?

When the Brexit politicians said, "Let's make Britain great again," people should have asked, "how and what does it mean?" But few have. Hence, now nobody knows what the future will bring.
This discussion has been closed.