The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• kg54mvpkg54mvp USA
    Just saw an early screening of knives out last night. Craig was awesome. A different kind of character to see him play was sort of refreshing knowing that he can play a goofy detective.

Knowing that he got extremely fit after this movie for NTTD is gonna be cool to see.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 17,279
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    21397368-7719589-Stunning-cast-The-Agatha-Christie-esque-storyli.jpg
    Hah! My first thought seeing this photo was: "He look like Robert De Niro here". Not much, but…

giphy.gif
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    ‘Knives Out’ Breaks Out $2M In Paid Previews Over The Weekend
    https://deadline.com/2019/11/knives-out-paid-weekend-previews-1202794073/

Caught an advanced screening last night. Loved the film, absolute top notch performances from Craig and de Armas!
    I will miss DC as Bond! He has been fantastic!! :-bd
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    Okay, maybe this has been beaten to a pulp, or perhaps not, but I cannot get over Craig's physical resemblance to Andreas Wisniewski ('TLD'). Wisniewski is probably a bit taller, but well-built like Craig, and aside from both being blonde, they have similar mouthes. One of the first things I said when Craig was announced as Bond is that he looks like Necros. Perhaps that was one of the distracting things that threw me off when Craig was cast.

Craig would have made a killer (no pun intended) modern day Necros, or villain of the like. Curious to hear what others think.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,312
    OOWolf wrote: »
    I cannot get over Craig's physical resemblance to Andreas Wisniewski ('TLD').

Yeah, I see it too, but it does not bother me. As actors, they are in quite different leagues now, no point to imagine that Craig played a villain, because he did several times already. And always in a role too small, unfortunately.

Play who is who here:
    40478-1540220924.jpg
    latest?cb=20150218231350
    15415650_6f3516efb949ef0d376abf70b8abef78_980x365re0.jpg
    CSPjgnZWwAAOGm2.jpg
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I will miss DC as Bond! He has been fantastic!! :-bd

I will have a tough time holding back tears at the final credits of NTTD.
    In the theater, waiting for Knives Out! Review in a few hours.
    It started a little slow but once the film got going, it was a terrific ride. I agree with others: this is Ana's film.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Happily, the reviews for Knives Out have been very positive for the most part.
    This can surely only be a good thing for NTTD as moviegoers may wish to see more of Craig and Ana on screen together again.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

Lovely gesture from Daniel this. It's crazy, this is literally 5 minutes up the road from where I live and 30 seconds from where my girlfriend lives, feels surreal. Daniel grew up in Hoylake and West Kirby I believe, it's great to see despite being James Bond he hasn't forgotten who he is or where he's come from
    edited November 2019 Posts: 2,496
    Box Office: ‘Frozen 2’ to Break Thanksgiving Record; ‘Knives Out’ Razor Sharp with $40 Million Debut
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/frozen-2-thanksgiving-knives-out-box-office-queen-slim-1203418741/amp/

Lionsgate’s opening of mystery comedy “Knives Out” is showing plenty of traction with early estimates of $40 million for the five-day holiday, which includes $3.7 million from previews. “Knives Out” opens in 3,391 sites Wednesday amid strong reviews with a stellar 96% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

“Knives Out” had been forecast to open in the $20 million to $25 million range. The studio raised its guidance Wednesday to the $28 million to $33 million range but other tracking was signficantly higher.

Box Office: 'Frozen 2' Eyes Record $135M Thanksgiving Feast; 'Knives Out' Sharp
    https://hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-frozen-2-eyes-record-135m-thanksgiving-knives-sharp-1258453

Rian Johnson's whodunit Knives Out opened to a pleasing $8.5 million Wednesday, putting the star-studded ensemble pic on course for a five-day debut of $38 million, well ahead of expectations.
    Knives Out proves Daniel Craig is a secret comedy genius
    https://gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/knives-out-daniel-craig
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Just saw KNIVES OUT-- everything is sooooo tight in this! There's not one weak link in the cast. NOT. ONE. Craig is the anchor, but Ana is the heart as the cast keeps saying-- now I know why. But Plummer, Curtis, Shannon, Collette, Johnson, Evans, et al... all of them execute at the highest level.

The script is whimsical. The direction sharp (like a knife). Shot beautifully.

I didn't see anything less than expert craftsmanship in every aspect of this film.

It was a perfect, light-hearted murder mystery. The film (especially that last scene), had me leave the cinema with the widest smile on my face...

The only thing I didn't care about the film was that it ended!
    I loved it too, @peter. Can't wait to see it again.
  • ObannoObanno Somewhere & Everywhere
    TripAces wrote: »
    Obanno wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I don't need Craig gone to realise what we won't have any more.

The guy is effortless, his natural charisma, the way he moves, there hasn't been an actor so comfortable in his own skin since Connery from the get go like Daniel.

I hope the next guy can come out the gate like Craig, even Roger took 2 films to cement his take on Bond, from the moment Craig say "yes considerably" I was convinced.

Moore's a weird one because I think he did actually come out of the gate really strongly. LALD is flawed as a film sure but I think it does confidently establish Moore's sort of Bond and gets rid of the ghost of Connery. It was just that was followed by a sort of confused regression in TMWTGG.

Maybe Maibaum was the problem? There's an interview with him where he talks about not liking Moore's style as Bond, hating LALD, and says that a lot of that stuff in the Moore films he wrote was improvised by Moore himself. So maybe he wrote the harder Connery sort of stuff into TMWTGG to try to counteract what they did in LALD.

I don't think that's too dissimilar to Craig actually. Brilliantly establishes his Bond in film one but film two feels like a bit of a confused regression (we've gone from the bitch is dead, Bond James Bond cue Bond theme, back to what still feels like an origin story) before film three returns to form and builds off film one.

I'd love to hear this interview if you can find it. In fact I love hearing everything Maibaum has to say about Bond. And you are probably correct in saying that he felt more comfortable with the edgy Bond rather than the overly humorous Bond. Though I do think Maibaum would have been a perfect scribe for Brosnan.

As for Craig, I'm a big fan but you can just tell (imo) he despises the character through every pore of his being. He's clearly doing NTTD for the money (a fact he clearly stated in the slash-my-wrist interview and is somewhat conveniently forgotten for the "taken out of context" excuse), and I really do not get a sense of enthusiasm from him at all considering this is his last hurrah. I currently don't see a general public sad that he's leaving the role, more a sense of pity because he clearly hates it.

Yes, he's professional and he will deliver a solid performance but the glint in his eye just isn't there and I feel the performance will be forced in nature, to hide his lack of enthusiasm. Obviously, I hope I am wrong but only in April can the movie address this.

The logic makes no sense, on multiple fronts. First, DC has plenty of money and though we don't know why he made the comment, money is not a serious factor at all in him returning. If he hates the character, he won't do it. Furthermore, if he hates it, why put the work in at the gym? Why do stunts that could (and did) result in a serious injury? Add to this: he has a new child. You think he wants to spend time away from his wife and baby for several months to make a movie he doesn't want to make?

Ok, calm down. I think my logic isn't that far fetched.

I never said he didn't want to make NTTD, but everybody could sense that the enthusiasm wasn't there anymore after SP. Money is a great motivator in these circumstances.

There are numerous of reasons why money can motivate someone to come back, Connery came back for a then world record salary for DAF, of which he used to set up a trust. There is a possibility Craig could have come back for the money for simply unselfish reasons or any other reason beyond our understanding. After all, RM always wanted more money when negotiating for his latter Bond films and Brosnan allegedly wanted a massive pay day for his never to be filmed last Bond movie, so my logic of money isn't nonsensical.

As for your other reasons, see what I said about Craig's professionalism...he made a commitment and he'll stick to it. Doesn't mean he has to enjoy it...or....GASP....would rather not do it.

Yes I get that he's awkward with the media but I really don't think we should be making excuses for him just because we're fans. These aren't easy movies to make and they do take their toll, so its perfectly understandable why he would say these things. His demeanor hasn't been right and these films are, first and foremost, built around the demeanor of their star. Hence why I made my conclusion that his lack of enthusiasm may show in his performance in NTTD (fans already made such claims about SP, but I think he was great) but fingers crossed it doesn't.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Univex wrote: »

@Univex I saw by myself this afternoon (almost sold-out at 3.30 show (??? LOL); my wife now wants to see it based off my ravings. Like you, I can't wait to see it again!!!! So much pleasant fun and great talent to execute!
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 6,677
    peter wrote: »

@Univex I saw by myself this afternoon (almost sold-out at 3.30 show (??? LOL); my wife now wants to see it based off my ravings. Like you, I can't wait to see it again!!!! So much pleasant fun and great talent to execute!

My wife is a bonafide sleuth, she works out every single time who did it. And so she did. We spend all year round watching period whodunits. She likes Poirot best. I'm an Holmes man myself. I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and I hope many more along these veins do get made in the wake of this success. I'd rather have this than superhero movies become the genre of choice for the next couple of years. After all, we are entering the 20s all over again, a golden age of the crime novelisation ;)
    Just saw KNIVES OUT-- everything is sooooo tight in this! There's not one weak link in the cast. NOT. ONE. Craig is the anchor, but Ana is the heart as the cast keeps saying-- now I know why. But Plummer, Curtis, Shannon, Collette, Johnson, Evans, et al... all of them execute at the highest level.

I didn't see anything less than expert craftsmanship in every aspect of this film.

It was a perfect, light-hearted murder mystery. The film (especially that last scene), had me leave the cinema with the widest smile on my face...

I liked it a lot, too, and i am seeing it again today.

One person who's been shortchanged in terms of attention and interviews is Lakeith Stanfield.

Saw a preview screening last weekend and loved it. Seeing it again this week. Can't wait to see all the little details I missed first time round.

Would love to see Benoit Blanc return to solve more whodunits, and reveal a little bit more a bout his character each time. I don't know how Johnson could possibly pull off a sequel as tight and thoughtout as this, but I am so in if he can.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 13,005
    Looking forward to the film, I came across this poster and comments.
    This Chinese poster for Knives Out seems to want to be a
    Bond poster

https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/dvh3lh/this_chinese_poster_for_knives_out_seems_to_want/
    p2a9bh32hby31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=73c547443e1b38d4dc00a30ee6ec67c2abb38572
    If only the Bond people had that imagination.
    Looking forward to the film, I came across this poster and comments.
    This Chinese poster for Knives Out seems to want to be a
    Bond poster

https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/dvh3lh/this_chinese_poster_for_knives_out_seems_to_want/
    p2a9bh32hby31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=73c547443e1b38d4dc00a30ee6ec67c2abb38572

Even when DC is in a totally different kind of movie, he's still "007." LOL.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

My wife is a bonafide sleuth, she works out every single time who did it. And so she did. We spend all year round watching period whodunits. She likes Poirot best. I'm an Holmes man myself. I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and I hope many more along these veins do get made in the wake of this success. I'd rather have this than superhero movies become the genre of choice for the next couple of years. After all, we are entering the 20s all over again, a golden age of the crime novelisation ;)

Couldn't agree with you both more, My Wife and I are big Poirot, you could see that Rian had studied his genre well, whodunits had become quite tired and reverted to type.

Sidney Lumet had made the definitive statement with MOTOE, although Johnson has just given it a jump back to life with a defibrillator with this film.

Craig was really a supporting player in this, the biggest one as Ana is just so good and looks like her career is going to take off, I could see not possibly Oscar talk but Golden Globes may well come calling, although Rian must be in with a shout with best original screenplay.

Seeing another Benoit Blanc mystery with Craig undoubtedly being the star should be interesting. It will be something for Rian to follow this up, he says he has a title and an idea already in mind for the next BB case.

I think what happened with Bond and Boyle's exit and the delay has been very fortuitous for Daniel, the gap in his schedule allowed him to sign on for this.

With him exiting Bond especially not with what you would call that an exciting a CV since hes been in a role and then getting this, which looks like it will be a hit, how could it not?

It should work well for Bond with DC being out there on the screens and it also looks like its going to be a case of while saying goodbye to one role he is beginning the journey with another one.

A first any Bond to end with one series then be propelled into another one and creating a memorable character that he will make entirely his own.

A Southern fried Poirot with more than a hint of Columbo and also not a slip with that accent. I can imagine and DC detractor have already got the Knives Out saying it is distracting, well it wasn't for me. He proved that he can live after Bond and more than likely have an interesting career after it and no we won't see him as greying desperate action hero trying to relive his glory days.

Also if DC was one note Knives Out wouldn't have just been title of the film it would have been exactly what the critics would have done with him if he'd totally inappropriate for the role, whereas hes been getting some of the best notices of his career.

I predict he'll have the most varied career of any actor who has played the role and Knives Out has given him a fantastic start to that next phase, yeah I've never made any secret of the fact I love the guy and I'm delighted for him.
    Daniel Craig: 'Knives Out' Aims To Be One Of Those 'Grand Pieces Of Entertainment'
    https://npr.org/2019/11/30/783431424/daniel-craig-knives-out-aims-to-be-one-of-those-grand-pieces-of-entertainment

A fun little bit of Bond talk in the last minute of the interview.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,043
    Daniel Craig: 'Knives Out' Aims To Be One Of Those 'Grand Pieces Of Entertainment'
    https://npr.org/2019/11/30/783431424/daniel-craig-knives-out-aims-to-be-one-of-those-grand-pieces-of-entertainment

A fun little bit of Bond talk in the last minute of the interview.

He seems to be enjoying his time promoting this film, I think we'll see more of the same with NTTD, possibly as he knows it is his last one but also because like CR & SF he is very proud with what they've done.

I've only seen Knives Out once and will likely not see it again until it turns up on Blu-ray, 4K and DVD. Though I can see this has got all the makings of a classic and like Murder On The Orient Express it will be returned to time after time. Knowing the secret makes no difference if the journey towards it is so enjoyable like with Orient Express the repeating of that experience despite not getting the surprise will be a real blast time and time again.

Having a Benoit Blanc mystery every couple of years around this time of year would indeed be something to look forward to.