No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well if NTTD did come in at around the three hour mark, then in five films, Craig would have as much screen time as Bond with five films, that Connery has with six. (I'm not counting non EON film NSNA)
    Brave new world. ;)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Contraband wrote: »
    False Alarm? Lashana Lynch to play Agent '001':
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7668333/Bond-gets-electric-car-wife-refuses-second-Time-Die-film.html
    Lashana-Lynch.jpg?quality=80&w=807

Also, the report says that Adele has been asked back to do the title song.

Tabloid BS

"Craig's Bond is brought out of retirement to work alongside the female special agent to save the world from a villain who has developed a deadly algae which threatens to kill the world's oceans – a nod to the concerns of climate campaigners."

Ties in with that last report of an Algae Farm. Does sound plausible amongst Blofeld's Virus Omega plot

It's not Blofeld's plot.
  • NickThunderballsNickThunderballs Australia
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7668333/Bond-gets-electric-car-wife-refuses-second-Time-Die-film.html

Tabloid BS

"Craig's Bond is brought out of retirement to work alongside the female special agent to save the world from a villain who has developed a deadly algae which threatens to kill the world's oceans – a nod to the concerns of climate campaigners."

Ties in with that last report of an Algae Farm. Does sound plausible amongst Blofeld's Virus Omega plot
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Tabloid BS

It's not Blofeld's plot.

Yes I understand that, believe me. I am just speaking in comparison to his plot.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Scott Z Burns talks NTTD: ‘You'll love what happens next’
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1202470/james-bond-spoilers-no-time-to-die-daniel-craig-writer-tease-movie-scott-z-burns
    image.jpg
    Speaking exclusively to Express.co.uk , Burns said: “I think Daniel [Craig] has been an incredible custodian of that character and I think for the people who like the direction he has taken it, they are going to really love what happens next.”

He added: “It’s fun for me because a few years ago I got to write a Jason Bourne movie and they’re definitely opposite sides of the same coin.

“So I’m thrilled to have had a chance to contribute to the other side of the coin.”

Burns, while not revealing any plot points, said director Fukunaga had a “clear vision” for the Bond 25 movie, and instilled in both Burns and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who was brought on in April 2019 to edit the script, a sense of what direction they were to move in.

Asked what state the script was in when he arrived on it, Burns said: “It was in a completely reasonable state.

“Cary [Jojo Fukunaga, the director] had a very clear vision of what he wanted to do and I think what he encouraged me to do and then after I left, Phoebe, was to continue to push us towards something that both continued the time honoured traditions of Bond, but also continued to ground it in a world which we live in.

“That was what was exciting to me about going to work on it. Cary and Daniel and Barbara [Broccoli, one of the producers of Bond] all recognised that that was where they wanted to take this episode.”
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Fukunaga had a “clear vision” for the Bond 25 movie. The most reassuring thing from that interview.
    Fukunaga had a “clear vision” for the Bond 25 movie. The most reassuring thing from that interview.

The most reassuring thing in the last 4 years, you mean ;)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

Absolutely.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Someone praising the movie they've worked on, shocking
  • Sadly, Tamahori had a pretty clear vision, too.

I have rather more faith in Fukunaga, but I think it's probably worth tempering expectations at this point.
    octofinger wrote: »
    Sadly, Tamahori had a pretty clear vision, too.

I have rather more faith in Fukunaga, but I think it's probably worth tempering expectations at this point.

Yes, very well put. Wish we could have a glimpse of said vision, though. I've smelled a rat instantly when I saw DUD's teaser trailer. Oh well, bring on December.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 4,400
    From everything I know about Eon and how they operate, I think it went something like this:
    • Eon fire Hodge and Boyle either walks or goes under some kind of settlement.
    • At this stage, I think aspects of the Hodge script are to their liking. However, they need a writer, so bring back P&W.
    • Predominately, P&W are working from their treatment. However, the script is essentially a new beast by this stage.
    • I think a treatment or a very rough draft exists by late September.
    • Its this treatment/draft that intrigues CJF. He signs on purely on the basis that he is the lead writer.
    • CJF begins work on the script.
    • I think CJF does the bulk of the writing by himself. But they have a very compressed pre-production period and need a script ASAP!
    • However, I think Eon like to give different scenes or acts to different writers. So perhaps CJF works on Acts 1 and 2 - with P&W writing Act 3. Then they switch.
    • A draft exists by Xmas/Jan. This is the stage that Justin Kroll said the studio were happy with the script.
    • Nonetheless, there is a feeling that it could be better and Eon like to bring in a "fresh pair of eyes", hence why Scott Z Burns came on. Hes a known script doctor in Hollywood.
    • I think if CJF had his way, it would be finished there.
    • However, DC wants PWB. So she is bought on to polish the script.
    • HOWEVER......PWB happens to explode in popularity at the same time. Despite the lack of her work on NTTD, its decided that they'll put her name in the press release for marketing purposes.

The end.

There is every chance this film is a mess. They were writing the script in pre-production after all

Well I don't think I am actually impressed by tamahori work even before bond but fukunaga did something (true detective/beast of no nation) which gave me hope, so there's that. Another thing is he himself haven't spoken much about the film as much as other writer or cast. I feel he is the kind of guy who let his work speak for him.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185

Well I don't think I am actually impressed by tamahori work even before bond but fukunaga did something (true detective/beast of no nation) which gave me hope, so there's that. Another thing is he himself haven't spoken much about the film as much as other writer or cast. I feel he is the kind of guy who let his work speak for him.

I agree, those weren't Cary's words, but Burns's. We can only judge Cary on his previous work which is very solid (Tamahori, not so much). I am still suprised and curious that he chose to do THIS with his career. He could have done so many other things. And i think even Barbara and Michael must have been cautions about this new hot shot who never did a multi million dollar action film, if he hadn't convinced them with a great idea, or great passion for his take on a Bond film.

Why is that reassuring? Wasn´t that clear all the time from Fukunaga´s history as a filmmaker? And if it wasn´t, I would never trust the words of someone with such a pivotal role in the production. He will hardly say that at this point in time that the director didn´t have a clear vision.
    I don´t mean this in a negative way at all, I just try to be reasonable.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 2,541
    00Agent wrote: »

I agree, those weren't Cary's words, but Burns's. We can only judge Cary on his previous work which is very solid (Tamahori, not so much). I am still suprised and curious that he chose to do THIS with his career. He could have done so many other things. And i think even Barbara and Michael must have been cautions about this new hot shot who never did a multi million dollar action film, if he hadn't convinced them with a great idea, or great passion for his take on a Bond film.

Well said, i would also like to know how he approached/got the job/ impress Barbara considering he is still very young and Haven't directed anything like this before. He also said he left and PWB stayed after that which means PWB has put more input than him.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Why is that reassuring? Wasn´t that clear all the time from Fukunaga´s history as a filmmaker? And if it wasn´t, I would never trust the words of someone with such a pivotal role in the production. He will hardly say that at this point in time that the director didn´t have a clear vision.
    I don´t mean this in a negative way at all, I just try to be reasonable.

Well it was reassuring for me because I didn't see much of his work when he was announced except True detective. Saw his other works recently and just after that this and PWB interview came along.

Another thing, can anyone confirm if this Cary official YouTube page?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnqo0HHMi4T0DblnG5nrlDw
    Tamahori had made Once were warriors, The Edge, Mulholland Falls, ... He had a brilliant curriculum and we had high hopes.

I'm a Fukunaga admirer, I'll admit to that. But I've learned to temper my expectations.
    Univex wrote: »
    Tamahori had made Once were warriors, The Edge, Mulholland Falls, ... He had a brilliant curriculum and we had high hopes.

I'm a Fukunaga admirer, I'll admit to that. But I've learned to temper my expectations.

Not for me mate. Only decent film he made was the Edge. I don't like his way of using slow motion techniques into the film. Fukunaga kind of reminds me of Terence young and he is still very young to compare with such a brilliant director i know but still.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185

I can't remember the Brosnan pre-production cycles as i was in my teens, and didn't follow any forums back then.

But as far as Craig films go, i would say i am mildly optimistic, which is comparable to how i felt pre CR and SF. I was too optimistic about QoS because CR build up so much expectations, and i absolutely loved Forsters films that i watched in preparation.

And i was extremely optimistic about Spectre because i loved Skyfall so much.

But with both CR and SF, i really didn't know what to expect.

We have 4 Craig films now that, in my opinion, range from amazing (CR, SF) to solid (QoS) to mediocre (take a guess), that's the spectrum we're working with here. And NTTD could fall in any of those categories. But knowing that it potentially COULD fall in the "amazing" category is exciting enough for me.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Another thing, can anyone confirm if this Cary official YouTube page?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnqo0HHMi4T0DblnG5nrlDw

Looks fanmade to me
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

The most reassuring thing in the last 4 years, you mean ;)

The impression I get from Burns, watching and reading interviews is that he is not one to use hyperbole. If he believes something is good, he says so. I think his comments provide us with the best insight into the film we are getting. What I read from them is this is a Cary Fukunaga story that will tie in all the other Craig bond films. The style will be similar to previous Craig bonds and not just a rehash of the classic bond formula. I am happy for both of these things to occur.
    I think it’ll be better than Spectre but I’m not getting that 21st century modern vibe from the film like CR. We’ll have to wait and see.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I think it’ll be better than Spectre but I’m not getting that 21st century modern vibe from the film like CR. We’ll have to wait and see.
    I'm honestly not sure how you would come to this conclusion without any footage.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    @Tuck91 likes to talk.

He was rather invisible. :-?
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 3,160
    Still say this has got to be another 2hr 40 min film.

I say thats being conservative. Theres so many plotlines, I can see it being closer to 3 hrs.

The SP script had more pages.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Still say this has got to be another 2hr 40 min film.

I say thats being conservative. Theres so many plotlines, I can see it being closer to 3 hrs.

The SP script had more pages.

How many pages did that script have again?
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 3,160
    Doublechecked. Final SP script is 130 pages.
    NTTD script from April 2019 is 133 pages.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Let's also keep in mind we don't know what will get cut in the edit :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Isn't it usually about a page of script per minute of film?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Isn't it usually about a page of script per minute of film?

Usually, but with films that have a considerable amount of action in them, the rule kind of goes out the window.