Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    CR came on the back of 9/11 and the biggest parody the Bond series ever saw in Austin Powers. Yes TND, TWINE and DAD were all during AP 3 movies. And all of them mocked in some way Bond. Albeit inoffensively. But from CR onwards, Bond has been much darker. More human and less like the Bond before. Cinematically. It's not a bad thing.
    Dalton actually played Bond perfectly. With a huge dose of Fleming, but with the EON Bond thrown in for good measure. Too bad he wasn't accepted. He was a great Bond. Before his own time I guess. I hope the trend of an actor who can inhibit the character of Bond like Craig does continues, instead of a playboy who looks good in a tux.
    In my mind, all the actors who have played Bond have been brilliant. Bringing something too the role, all of them at the right time. For that as fans I think we can consider ourselves very fortunate.
    I've enjoyed the Batman films since 1989, but not all of the actors to take on the role have fit.
    Bond is the truly unique character within the film industry. I'm hopeful that when Daniel Craig officially steps down, the next actor can step up to the mark. It's some big shoes to fill.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837
    @thelivingroyale , that is a great point. You are probably right.

I reckon I do genuinely have a knack for this sort of thing to be fair. Check the Doctor Who thread, I've called the last two actors before they were announced. I'm wasted as a mechanic really, I should be working in film casting.

Maybe if I start a petition EON will let me into their "closed shop"? ;)
    Benny wrote: »
    CR came on the back of 9/11 and the biggest parody the Bond series ever saw in Austin Powers. Yes TND, TWINE and DAD were all during AP 3 movies. And all of them mocked in some way Bond. Albeit inoffensively. But from CR onwards, Bond has been much darker. More human and less like the Bond before. Cinematically. It's not a bad thing.
    Dalton actually played Bond perfectly. With a huge dose of Fleming, but with the EON Bond thrown in for good measure. Too bad he wasn't accepted. He was a great Bond. Before his own time I guess. I hope the trend of an actor who can inhibit the character of Bond like Craig does continues, instead of a playboy who looks good in a tux.
    In my mind, all the actors who have played Bond have been brilliant. Bringing something too the role, all of them at the right time. For that as fans I think we can consider ourselves very fortunate.
    I've enjoyed the Batman films since 1989, but not all of the actors to take on the role have fit.
    Bond is the truly unique character within the film industry. I'm hopeful that when Daniel Craig officially steps down, the next actor can step up to the mark. It's some big shoes to fill.

Agree 100% with this. Some may have been better than others but I don't think Bond has ever really been miscast, they've all had that something special. We have been very lucky really. It'd be so easy for them to get it wrong.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,093
    The only Bonds which weren't "big shoes to fill", which the audience didn't connect with, were Dalton and Lazenby. The rest were all popular in their own time, and remain so to a greater or lesser extent. I understand that for many CR and Craig arrived at the right time, and he will forever be the ideal man in their eyes, but the role does move on. In the next few years, there will be a new generation who embraces the next actor, and he will be considered the greatest Bond and "the one we've been waiting for". That how it goes. People forget, but some of us are old enough to remember that when Brosnan was initially announced, he was hailed as the perfect guy for the job. They said he was the best of Connery and Moore rolled into one. And so it will be for the next guy, who succeeds Craig. Ofcourse it is a big role, and the next guy will have something special, but that was just as true all the other times a new guy takes over.

For me it makes the most sense to actually try to move into more comedy Bond territory again. I know, that the current idea among some fans is that gritty Bond is better, but although I like CR very much, I prefer movies like GE which have an endlessly rewatchable quality, and feel more like a romp. I feel like the series is way overdue some fun, and a fresh start is the perfect opportunity to let their hair down and enjoy themselves. Thats the aspect thats been missing lately if you ask me. For this type of film, you need some crowd pleasing and charismatic, in a more traditional manner than Craig. Brosnan and Moore were pros at this. Crowds never felt more assured that they were in good hands than when Brozza and Rog doned the tux. If someone were to come in and play it that way again, peopel would think that Bond is truly back and hear to stay - complete. Craigs specialty is the broken man, but that is done to death nowadays, and I think it would be just as refreshjng to show a Bond with his armour back on, than it was to show a without his armour in 2006. Thats what fans want from a new Bond afterall, a fresh take. This Bond was never for me, but I can appreciate how bold and new CR felt at the time, and still does in comparison to the other Craig efforts.

Aidan Turner is a fantastic actor to play this type of character, as he has demonstrated with his leading role in the BBC drama Poldark, as well as Supporting roles in the BBC adaptation of And Then There Were None, and Peter Jacksons Hobbit Trilogy. The guy is putting in good work under the radar, and through his roles we can begin to build a pattern of a headstrong, confident, dynamic man of action with a dark demeanor, but not without a humour and charisma. This is a ladies man, exactly in the mould of Moore and Brosnan, but updated for the modern day. He is not afraid to get his hands dirty, that is a common feature of the roles he picks, and he is often the one taking charge in a group. To say that he is not worthy of serious consideration by EON (or whoever else) for the part is a big mistake. I think he is precisely what they should be looking for after Craig to inject some oldschool spirit back in, and in a more authentic way than they achieved in Skyfall and SP, and less retread. Aidan Turner is a man for NOW. He is the modern hero for a new, multicultural world, and to overlook him would be a big big mistake.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Yeah, for me the thing Turner brings is the cruel look. Quite patent in this photo comparison between the two.

http://videosblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Theo-James-vs-Aidan-Turner-Qui-sadapte-le-plus-à-être-la-nouvelle-James-Bond.jpg

But I do like Theo James, as he's a bit new gen, but he's got the intensity and has been doing period pieces as well, which IMO showcase his range as an actor.

None, so far, and IMO, have the star factor that Craig has, though.

HP-GQ-07Sep16_b.jpg

If people want to convince us that this guy can be Bond ,don’t compare him to Craig like this ,it’s a man vs boy situation and Dan ain’t the boy.

Quite frankly Daniel still looks like a 55 year old KGB agent.
    The only Bonds which weren't "big shoes to fill", which the audience didn't connect with, were Dalton and Lazenby. The rest were all popular in their own time, and remain so to a greater or lesser extent. I understand that for many CR and Craig arrived at the right time, and he will forever be the ideal man in their eyes, but the role does move on. In the next few years, there will be a new generation who embraces the next actor, and he will be considered the greatest Bond and "the one we've been waiting for". That how it goes. People forget, but some of us are old enough to remember that when Brosnan was initially announced, he was hailed as the perfect guy for the job. They said he was the best of Connery and Moore rolled into one. And so it will be for the next guy, who succeeds Craig. Ofcourse it is a big role, and the next guy will have something special, but that was just as true all the other times a new guy takes over.

For me it makes the most sense to actually try to move into more comedy Bond territory again. I know, that the current idea among some fans is that gritty Bond is better, but although I like CR very much, I prefer movies like GE which have an endlessly rewatchable quality, and feel more like a romp. I feel like the series is way overdue some fun, and a fresh start is the perfect opportunity to let their hair down and enjoy themselves. Thats the aspect thats been missing lately if you ask me. For this type of film, you need some crowd pleasing and charismatic, in a more traditional manner than Craig. Brosnan and Moore were pros at this. Crowds never felt more assured that they were in good hands than when Brozza and Rog doned the tux. If someone were to come in and play it that way again, peopel would think that Bond is truly back and hear to stay - complete. Craigs specialty is the broken man, but that is done to death nowadays, and I think it would be just as refreshjng to show a Bond with his armour back on, than it was to show a without his armour in 2006. Thats what fans want from a new Bond afterall, a fresh take. This Bond was never for me, but I can appreciate how bold and new CR felt at the time, and still does in comparison to the other Craig efforts.

Aidan Turner is a fantastic actor to play this type of character, as he has demonstrated with his leading role in the BBC drama Poldark, as well as Supporting roles in the BBC adaptation of And Then There Were None, and Peter Jacksons Hobbit Trilogy. The guy is putting in good work under the radar, and through his roles we can begin to build a pattern of a headstrong, confident, dynamic man of action with a dark demeanor, but not without a humour and charisma. This is a ladies man, exactly in the mould of Moore and Brosnan, but updated for the modern day. He is not afraid to get his hands dirty, that is a common feature of the roles he picks, and he is often the one taking charge in a group. To say that he is not worthy of serious consideration by EON (or whoever else) for the part is a big mistake. I think he is precisely what they should be looking for after Craig to inject some oldschool spirit back in, and in a more authentic way than they achieved in Skyfall and SP, and less retread. Aidan Turner is a man for NOW. He is the modern hero for a new, multicultural world, and to overlook him would be a big big mistake.

Post of the week. Hear, hear, my dear friend @Mendes4Lyfe
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Yeah! you've managed to perfect the art of typing with one hand while the other........
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837
    @Mendes4Lyfe It might make sense to move back in the more classic direction to you, but you're not in charge are you. I think we can tell from BB's attitude towards Brosnan, the way they swiftly swept all those films under the rug, the amount of control Craig has been given and the early traces of Craig within the Brosnan era that the direction of the last few films is the direction she prefers. And the last few films have been enormously successful, even more than the Brosnan era was. So if that's how EON want to do things and the public are still enjoying the films, why would they radically change course with the next guy?

I think gritty(ish) auteur driven character centric Bond is here to stay. Even if they cast Turner (which I don't think is likely, I think it'll be another edgy choice), I still think it won't be worlds away from the Craig era. I'm sure there will be some changes but, unless NTTD flops massively (very very unlikely), the general tone and direction I think will stay the same. I definitely don't think we'll be getting another "comedy" Bond. Not while BB is in charge. Your only hope is if the selling rumours turn out to be true, but some of our more industry knowledgeable members shut those down in the related thread. So I'd suggest you prepare to be disappointed.
    I'm hoping for something "lighter" with the next actor, that's for sure. However, I'm not expecting that to happen anytime soon. Those of us who do want a lighter take on the character must prepare to wait a long time.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    EoN have a Herculean task with Bond 26. Craig has been utterly fantastic in the role. He's absolutely nailed Bond. I've made suggestions like Dan Stevens and Jack Lowden, but they just don't have the gravitas Craig has. I'm genuinely stumped. Aidan Turner just seems so lightweight. No one I've heard suggested is in the same league, especially Cavill. He's so wooden.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Craig detractors do their best to play down the impact of him being chosen to play Bond because they don't like the idea that he was the most significant shift in the character since Sean Connery was cast in Dr No.

I've heard some say that Connery and Moore are the most significant, of course Connery but the way Bond was being played was being shifted more to what Roger started with and it is not like the films changed that significantly, they became more lighthearted yes but SWLM wasn't that much different to YOLT.

Dalton did change the interpretation but he was essentially playing his Bond within the same universe, even LTK for all it's gritiness wasn't that removed from the RM era.

Brosnan was like a greatest hits show after GE tried something new and then decided it was back to business with the formula by TND.

BB and MGW weren't confident enough with Brosnan to switch things up and anyway PB's tenure was very successful and made sure the series was lucrative and able to continue.

Though BB did not appoint Pierce her father did so she quite rightly wanted to stamp her idea on the series and proceeded to cast a very different actor to what had gone before, reset the series back to 0 and it proved a success.

The facts are that critics and viewers alike recognised this actor had changed things and while I think when she appoints her next Bond she will want a different flavour for Bond 7 the things established in this era by Craig's take won't just be jettisoned and jokey playboy Bond will be back.

While BB is in charge and likely with her nephew stepping into his Father's role the next era won't be turning into fan boys desires.

BB is very proud of the appointment of Daniel Craig and regardless of some peoples dislike of it, mark my words the reverberations of this era will be still be heard and felt come the next appointment.

I also don't believe an actor like Aidan Turner would want to play a lighter Bond, most actors looking to play this role have been turned onto it because Daniel Craig showed the potential the character has to be much more than suave, spy with little depth.

It will be sometime before Bond takes a step backwards, expect the character to evolve not digress.
    Great post @Shardlake
    Great post @Shardlake

Hear hear.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Great post @Shardlake

Indeed. For a change.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,507
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Yeah! you've managed to perfect the art of typing with one hand while the other........

Damn @Shardlake ! Reply of the year!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Craig detractors do their best to play down the impact of him being chosen to play Bond because they don't like the idea that he was the most significant shift in the character since Sean Connery was cast in Dr No.

I've heard some say that Connery and Moore are the most significant, of course Connery but the way Bond was being played was being shifted more to what Roger started with and it is not like the films changed that significantly, they became more lighthearted yes but SWLM wasn't that much different to YOLT.

Dalton did change the interpretation but he was essentially playing his Bond within the same universe, even LTK for all it's gritiness wasn't that removed from the RM era.

Brosnan was like a greatest hits show after GE tried something new and then decided it was back to business with the formula by TND.

BB and MGW weren't confident enough with Brosnan to switch things up and anyway PB's tenure was very successful and made sure the series was lucrative and able to continue.

Though BB did not appoint Pierce her father did so she quite rightly wanted to stamp her idea on the series and proceeded to cast a very different actor to what had gone before, reset the series back to 0 and it proved a success.

The facts are that critics and viewers alike recognised this actor had changed things and while I think when she appoints her next Bond she will want a different flavour for Bond 7 the things established in this era by Craig's take won't just be jettisoned and jokey playboy Bond will be back.

While BB is in charge and likely with her nephew stepping into his Father's role the next era won't be turning into fan boys desires.

BB is very proud of the appointment of Daniel Craig and regardless of some peoples dislike of it, mark my words the reverberations of this era will be still be heard and felt come the next appointment.

I also don't believe an actor like Aidan Turner would want to play a lighter Bond, most actors looking to play this role have been turned onto it because Daniel Craig showed the potential the character has to be much more than suave, spy with little depth.

It will be sometime before Bond takes a step backwards, expect the character to evolve not digress.

Part Two (just catching up!): another great post @Shardlake ... Common sense, really.
  • NeverOnTheFirmsTimeNeverOnTheFirmsTime A plane tree'd square off the Kings Road
    edited October 2019 Posts: 34
    Great post @Shardlake

Indeed. For a change.

Unnecessarily snarky comment there, methinks.
    I personally welcome the posts of @Shardlake - they are well thought through and have a point, like those of @peter. And more importantly they don't keep harping on about one individual being the saviour of the series going forward - I get that some on here think Aidan Turner is the best thing since sliced bread, but there's no need to keep banging on about it ad infinitum.
    Anyway, I appreciate - and agree 100% with - your post, @Shardlake. Keep up the good work 👍
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I still think Tom Ellis could nail it (Puts on tin hat). English, suave with good presence.
    740full-tom-ellis.jpg
    1b60b0a62a065a6260b61724ec819595.jpg
    img-tom-ellis-130649903598-786x1000.jpg

Denbigh wrote: »
    I still think Callum Turner has potential :)

Probably a bit young looking atm but you never know.

rev-1-FBCOG-CCTRLR-014_High_Res_JPEG.jpeg?resize=3118%2C1306
    NINTCHDBPICT000517139334.jpg
    NINTCHDBPICT000517139139-e1569358054498.jpg

I have been suggesting him for a while./ Only 29 I think and 6ft 2. Showing decent range as an actor. Definitely has intensity.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Shardlake that and the Broccoli's have never been eager to change actors anyway. Barbara has been very adament that Craig is the perfect guy for the role and she's beenable to keep him playing it, which as I understand it is no mean feat. If they manage to make a new film within 2-3 years, they might even stick with him, if he wants it. Then most candidates tht are mentioned now won't be 'eligeable' anymore anyway.

@LeonardPine yep, still agree with you. Think he's at least a good option.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've mentioned him before and I still think Tom Bateman would make a great Bond - at least from what I saw from him as the villain in Cold Pursuit and from interviews. He's only 30 now, too, but looks a bit older and more refined.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,294
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've mentioned him before and I still think Tom Bateman would make a great Bond - at least from what I saw from him as the villain in Cold Pursuit and from interviews. He's only 30 now, too, but looks a bit older and more refined.

He sort of reminds me of both David Harbour and Charlie Cox at the same time. Not a negative, but it was the first thing I thought about when googling him.

James-Bond-new-bond-odds-tom-bateman-next-james-bond-daniel-craig-bond-25-1143159.jpg?r=1561051833993
    dh-1024x686.jpg
    charlie-cox-2019q1.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, that's actually a real fair comparison. I can see both of those evenly in his face.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,294
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Damn, that's actually a real fair comparison. I can see both of those evenly in his face.

Never seen Tom Bateman in anything though, so he might look a bit differently on screen than the photos that popped up in image search.

Going through his acting credits, I see he had a role in Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express. That movie is on my list of films to watch, so I might get around to watching him in that one soon.
  • @Shardlake that and the Broccoli's have never been eager to change actors anyway. Barbara has been very adament that Craig is the perfect guy for the role and she's beenable to keep him playing it, which as I understand it is no mean feat. If they manage to make a new film within 2-3 years, they might even stick with him, if he wants it. Then most candidates tht are mentioned now won't be 'eligeable' anymore anyway.

I'd be very surprised if Barbara Broccoli doesn't try and get him back for another one after NTTD.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @Shardlake that and the Broccoli's have never been eager to change actors anyway. Barbara has been very adament that Craig is the perfect guy for the role and she's beenable to keep him playing it, which as I understand it is no mean feat. If they manage to make a new film within 2-3 years, they might even stick with him, if he wants it. Then most candidates tht are mentioned now won't be 'eligeable' anymore anyway.

I'd be very surprised if Barbara Broccoli doesn't try and get him back for another one after NTTD.

If so, then the framework for the story, and production better be in the works, with an eye on filming in 2021, with a 2022 release; it can't be another five year gap.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Especially if the film is successful and praised by audiences.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 11,425
    IF Nolan directs a Bond film in the NEAR future, I think he would push hard for Robert Pattinson.

Some big ifs there.
    Getafix wrote: »
    IF Nolan directs a Bond film in the NEAR future, I think he would push hard for Robert Pattinson.

Some big ifs there.

God I hope not.
    Getafix wrote: »

Some big ifs there.

Not sure how that's going to work if Pattinson is Batman.

If rumours in the press are too be believed. =)) Odds on Michael Fassbender becoming Bond are being slashed. Could it be true. Though you'd think his age will go against him.
    Of so many of the names touted, I could see Fassbender in the role. And I think he could be terrific. Long odds though.
    Fassbender great back in the day but now too old.

What are the rumours in the press?
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1185605/James-Bond-replace-Daniel-Craig-Odds-Fassbender-Hiddleston-Elba-Madden-007-bookie-bet

Massive pinch of salt, but still a worthy choice.
    If they ramped up the release schedule, then Fassbender could still be viable.