Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Well, it's been long enough now, and in a surprisingly close match, GoldenEye wins over Live and Let Die by a one-vote margin! <:-P

Okay, as requested by someone earlier, the next line up is:

From Russia with Love vs. On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I have a feeling this will be a good one!
    This is the hardest one of all probably.

For years (for me at least), it was FRWL. But in recent years, I have to in all sincerity say it's OHMSS. So my vote goes to OHMSS. These are literally my #1 and #2. So close!
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Well currently From Russia with Love and OHMSS sit at my #1 and #2 slots.

I have to give the edge to FRWL for several reasons:

-Sean Connery is more engaging than Laz and does not have a third of his dialogue dubbed
    -The epic verbal confrontation/fight between Connery and Shaw - my vote for best scene in the series
    -Anthony Dawson is a scarier Bloefeld than Telly

Also the little details like the White wine/Red wine mix up as well as the lesson on Simese fighting fish just give the film a little bit more...flavour IMO.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    So tough but I choose From Russia with Love as the better film. Two of the, if not the two, best in the series.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Arguably 2 of the best Bond films in the series. Both are classics and both are remarkable movies to say the least.

OHMSS is the more epic movie and is just so beautiful to watch. I have no problem with Lazenby.

However, I'm giving the win to FRWL. A more suspenseful thriller, Connery is just pure win. Red Grant, Istanbul, Kerim, Tatyana, the list goes on.
    OHMSS

FRWL has the better Bond, and has a good cold war plot, but Blofeld is used more in OHMSS and some of the action is better.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    OHMSS. It's just more balanced and richer.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 940
    Wow. Both are in my top three and both have a huge case to be regarded as THE two greatest Bond flicks of the 50 years. Both have some of the strongest casts of the series and both have the two greatest allies too. In these films, Sean and Lazenby bring real and gritty down to earth performances and have amazing chemistry with their co stars.

This is as tough as it gets, but FRWL gets my vote here. OHMSS is more unusual and controversial with the public (a 1-time rookie Bond actor, Bond's voice dubbed for long periods, breaking of the wall, Bond marrying, the unique editing) but these points don't bother me at all.

Still, despite an endless array of OHMSS pros to its name (including the better Barry score), FRWL seems the perfect all-round Bond flick without any bits which people can moan and groan about. The whole train journey is one of the best sequences of the entire 50 years. One of the film's only limitations for me is the Venice backdrop at the end, which should have been real. Still, a minor point in an outstanding film. These two films make me proud to be a Bond fan.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    FRWL
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2012 Posts: 28,694
    FRWL without a single question. Sean at his best, misleadingly great PTS, awesome theme, Kerim Bey, Bond's best ally, a human Bond that is as cold and calculating as ever, an epic gypsy camp fight and apparent ménage à trois, beautiful locations, Red freaking Grant and their fight on the Orient Express of all trains, an Iam Fleming cameo, the greatest quotes in the series are found here, and it is so rewatchable. No contest folks. All in favor of Sean's magnum opus Bond film, stand up and be heard! ^:)^
    From Russia with love
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 344
    Oh, and Pedro Armendáriz, deserves all the respect in the world, for playing Kerim Bey so effectively, while being so ill.
  • That's another vote for FRWL

"Red wine with fish. That should have told me something."
    Oh, and Pedro Armendáriz, deserves all the respect in the world, for playing Kerim Bey so effectively, while being so ill.

Another very good point
    From Russia with Love

For me, it's a matter of #2 versus #22, so no comparison! FRWL has the better villains, the better 007, the better storyline, a more entertaining pace, and feels like a Bond movie, whereas OHMSS feels misplaced, in my opinion.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    It's hard to compare these two really, it's like apples to oranges. Both are great in their own unique way...

...But <b>OHMSS</B> easily is the favorite for me. It's the most epic of Bond films, it has a story with heart (Connery could have never pulled off that kind of emotion convincingly). Added to the fact, it has breathtaking location shots of the Alps and Piz Gloria, a FANTASTIC cast with Telly Savalas and Diana Rigg, some of the most intense action sequences ever put to celluloid, and one of the best, if not THE quintessential John Barry score (certainly more developed than the FRWL score). Let's not forget the last recorded song by Louis Armstrong either! There are also so many memorable shots in this film: starting with the obscured profile of Lazenby in the Aston Martin in the PTS, to the dagger on the 13th of the calendar, to the scene of Tracy pulling up to Bond in the ice skates. There's true mystery, danger, and I'll say it again...heart. This film is magical to me.

FRWL is the perfect subdued 007 spy film. But OHMSS takes the series to another level.

Plus there are some issues I have FRWL: the gypsy camp fight feels like something out of a 50's western movie and also the helicopter/boat chase scenes after Grant is killed go on too long and aren't that necessary to the plot. I also thought Rosa Klebb's character with her spiked shoes was a bit campy for the tone of the film.

OHMSS
    FRWL
    Gotta be From Russia With Love. Although OHMSS is very good, too.

3. From Russia With Love (1963) - 9.5/10
    4. Dr. No (1962) - 9/10
    5. Thunderball (1965) - 8.5/10
    6. The Living Daylights (1987) - 8.5/10
    7. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969) - 8.5/10
    FRWL
  • These just get tougher!

Both quality of films (the two best films of the 1960's imo followed closely by GF and Tb) and are memorable.

The clincher though for me is Rosa Klebb. Outstanding performance by Lotte Lenya , memorable and iconic.

FRWL for me though take nothing away from OHMSS
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Interesting take there @Signed_By_RogerMoore. I haven't heard anything say Lotte Lenya is the highlight of FRWL before, but certainly she deserves it being the fine actress that she was!
  • JBFan626 wrote:
    Interesting take there @Signed_By_RogerMoore. I haven't heard anything say Lotte Lenya is the highlight of FRWL before, but certainly she deserves it being the fine actress that she was!

Don't get me wrong, there is A LOT going for FRWL. It's a masterful film in so many ways. Imo, so is OHMSS. With this question, she just kept popping into my head. I think she is very underrated as a Bond villain, perhaps shadowed by the equally magnificent Red Grant played by the late great Robert Shaw. She is one of the naturally menacing Bond villains and was the clincher for me in this battle.
    OHMSS
    AussieBond wrote:
    OHMSS

George, is that you? ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Sorry, I've been gone for a while, off playing inFAMOUS 2. I'm giving it to FRWL.
    From Russia With Love by a fairly large margin.

Chuck wrote:
    From Russia With Love by a fairly large margin.

Me too, a 20 movie gap to be exact! Haha.
    From Russia With Love for me, only took a second or two to decide, could well be one of the best ever of the series. On Her Majestys Secret Service is OK, but simply can't compete with Connery's second outing. Sorry George