James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

Outstanding work, @MakeshiftPython.

GF seems to look much better on iTunes 4K than YOLT does.
    I think GF is one of the Bonds that have always had a reasonably faithful transfer to VHS, DVD and Blu-ray. I've seen the film on the big screen 3 or 4 times over the years and any one of the above screen caps could be the closest to the film version.
    I remember a print I saw that had the "James Bond will be back On Her Majesty's Secret Service" credit. As I recall that print looked about like the Blu-ray.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,279
    For those of you that have bought the Bond films through iTunes; how would you rank the digital transfers from 1-10? Purchased OHMSS on iTunes a while ago to watch on my laptop, and that film looked really nice – but I have no idea if the others are just as good.

______
    @MakeshiftPython how did you take those iTunes screenshots? I've tried taking screenshots from iTunes on my Macbook, but all I get are these gray squares.

iTunes has a DMR restriction that won't let you take screencaps downloaded videos. However, they don't restrict you from taking screencaps while streaming videos, so that's how I was able to capture the images.

Thanks, I'll try that!

Edit: stupid question maybe, but how did you just stream the videos?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    For those of you that have bought the Bond films through iTunes; how would you rank the digital transfers from 1-10? Purchased OHMSS on iTunes a while ago to watch on my laptop, and that film looked really nice – but I have no idea if the others are just as good.

______
    @MakeshiftPython how did you take those iTunes screenshots? I've tried taking screenshots from iTunes on my Macbook, but all I get are these gray squares.

iTunes has a DMR restriction that won't let you take screencaps downloaded videos. However, they don't restrict you from taking screencaps while streaming videos, so that's how I was able to capture the images.

Thanks, I'll try that!

Select the file for deletion, it will ask if you really want to delete so you click "delete movie", then a second question will ask if you wish to move it to recycle bin or keep file, so you click "keep file" so the movie file remains in your folder. Then you should just be able to play the movie via cloud.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,279

______

Thanks, I'll try that!

Select the file for deletion, it will ask if you really want to delete so you click "delete movie", then a second question will ask if you wish to move it to recycle bin or keep file, so you click "keep file" so the movie file remains in your folder. Then you should just be able to play the movie via cloud.

Thanks again! Didn't know that was a possibility.

Edit: Followed those steps, but I still get the grey screenshots instead of the screenshots from the film.
    Hmm, well I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell PC, maybe it’s not applicable on certain machines?
    Hmm, well I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell PC, maybe it’s not applicable on certain machines?

Maybe it's not possible with macOS? I use a Macbook myself.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Nice, I'll be anticipating the reviews at bluray.com, but most likely be picking up. I do wonder if it's best to wait until next year when No Time To Die hits 4K/bluray in the summer, there will be a new 4K set of all the films. :-?

I don’t know much about Macs, but I have an iPhone and those can’t screencap certain videos apps like previous phones used to, so I wouldn’t be surprised if their Macs are just as restrictive.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Nice, I'll be anticipating the reviews at bluray.com, but most likely be picking up. I do wonder if it's best to wait until next year when No Time To Die hits 4K/bluray in the summer, there will be a new 4K set of all the films. :-?

The problem with waiting is the sets will never be complete - there'll inevitably be a new one come the next home video format and the release of the next film. I'll probably get this and hope that they do a similar set for the other actors or something, or at least individual releases for the rest of the films so I don't have to inevitably double dip.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

The problem with waiting is the sets will never be complete - there'll inevitably be a new one come the next home video format and the release of the next film. I'll probably get this and hope that they do a similar set for the other actors or something, or at least individual releases for the rest of the films so I don't have to inevitably double dip.

This is too true. I double dipped with the DVDs (2000 SE and 2006 UE).
    I'm currently doing screencaps of THUNDERBALL. So far, it's looking much like YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE in that it no longer has that magenta push from the blu-ray, more natural skin tones. About to post samples soon.

I don’t know much about Macs, but I have an iPhone and those can’t screencap certain videos apps like previous phones used to, so I wouldn’t be surprised if their Macs are just as restrictive.

This might be the reason. Looks like I'll have to consider alternatives in order to take screenshots.
    I'm currently doing screencaps of THUNDERBALL. So far, it's looking much like YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE in that it no longer has that magenta push from the blu-ray, more natural skin tones. About to post samples soon.

The mafia boys will meanwhile bide their time playing billard and riding wooden horses ;-).
    And the kitchen sink...

1989 MGM LD
    vlcsnap-2019-09-10-09h28m53s435.png

1999 SE DVD
    r2%20thunderball%20james%20bond%200.jpg

2006 UE DVD
    r1%20thunderball%20james%20bond%20Thunderball_NA-6.jpg

2008 FOX BD
    large%20thunderball%20%20blu-ray1.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    01TB4K.png

1989 MGM LD
    vlcsnap-2019-09-10-09h29m06s871.png

1999 SE DVD
    r2%20thunderball%20james%20bond%20350.jpg

2006 UE DVD
    r1%20thunderball%20james%20bond%20Thunderball_NA-7.jpg

2008 FOX BD
    large%20thunderball%20%20blu-ray2.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    02TB4K.png

1989 MGM LD
    vlcsnap-2019-09-10-09h36m52s397.png

1999 SE DVD
    r2%20thunderball%20james%20bond%202157.jpg

2006 UE DVD
    r1%20thunderball%20james%20bond%20Thunderball_NA-10.jpg

2008 FOX BD
    large%20thunderball%20%20blu-ray4.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    03TB4K.png

1989 MGM LD
    vlcsnap-2019-09-10-09h38m07s748.png

1999 SE DVD
    r2%20thunderball%20james%20bond%203644.jpg

2006 UE DVD
    r1%20thunderball%20james%20bond%20Thunderball_NA-11.jpg

2008 FOX BD
    large%20thunderball%20%20blu-ray5.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    04TB4K.png

1989 MGM LD
    vlcsnap-2019-09-10-09h41m39s113.png

1999 SE DVD
    r2%20thunderball%20james%20bond%204426.jpg

2006 UE DVD
    r1%20thunderball%20james%20bond%20Thunderball_NA-12.jpg

2008 FOX BD
    large%20thunderball%20%20blu-ray6.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    05TB4K.png

1989 MGM LD
    vlcsnap-2019-09-10-11h31m54s230.png

1999 SE DVD
    r2%20thunderball%20james%20bond%2013439.jpg

2006 UE DVD
    r1%20thunderball%20james%20bond%20Thunderball_NA-15.jpg

2008 FOX BD
    large%20thunderball%20%20blu-ray8.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    06TB4K.png
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 5,767
    Again you surpassed, @MakeshiftPython!

This is a good example why I prefer the SE oder the UE. Despite offereing a lot more details, overall the UE version looks bleaker. The SE generally has its fair share of flaws, but all of them have happy colours. I like that.

With TB, the picture of the SE seems to be a bit stretched vertically, and the BD seems to be stretched a tiny bit horizontally. The iTunes 4K seems to have the best ballance in that regard.
    I'm loving these comparison shots, @MakeshiftPython.
    The TB caps are great!
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Again you surpassed, @MakeshiftPython!

This is a good example why I prefer the SE oder the UE. Despite offereing a lot more details, overall the UE version looks bleaker. The SE generally has its fair share of flaws, but all of them have happy colours. I like that.

With TB, the picture of the SE seems to be a bit stretched vertically, and the BD seems to be stretched a tiny bit horizontally. The iTunes 4K seems to have the best ballance in that regard.

The 4K version looks fabulous. The SE looks too dark en red, the UE too gray, the bluray is a little too red again. The 4K is just right and looks phenomenal.
  • Those 4K shots do look great, thanks for posting those comparisons MP.
    The 4K does look incredibly sharp in a lot of those shots, but some of those images seem to have much more muted colors. The gunbarrel examples are almost night and day in their differences.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Great stuff @MakeshiftPython.
    Would you do GE next? I'm really curious about that one.
    I’ll get to GE eventually. I’m curious too because I did one comparison months ago and it didn’t look that different to me, even though I’ve read many comments on how GE looked like a massive improvement over the DNR riddled blu-ray.

I’m gonna do DN and FRWL next, as I already have caps on those for previous formats and just need the 4K caps. I’ll post them tomorrow.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,441
    The 80s film arguably look the worse on SE with all the aggressive compression and edge enhancement going on. The colors on the UE are truer, my point of reference being the sunrise shot in the Afghan desert.

American r1 se's from 1999 you mean. My r2 se are from 2000 / 2001, made in 1999 / 2000.
    R1 are all made in 1999 and released in 1999 / 2000.

There is difrence in menu style and format with some movies. Where r2 of Dr No, FRWL, LALD, TMWTGG be 1:78:1 in europe, r1 and later ue/bd be 1:66:1. 1:66 is same format as for example The Lion King (1994) and cIoser to 1:33:1. Also have read about maintitle have changed on ue/bd. Dutch release of Goldeneye SE don't have that error that Uk does and with Ue/Bd too. Weird enough i believe Dutch ue/bd of AVTAK are disapointed , whyle in Uk reviews nothing whyle discs should be same.

Octopussy looks very good, weird enough better then Twine. Twine is dvd from 2000, Octopussy from 2001. Both are made in 2000. For Twine i must use cinema option for not having the grain, but then i think it is to dark. Also i think it is strange that never look that grain on my earlier HD ready tv. (That claim was incorrect, my BD player not work complete on it and take me almoost year before i bough new tv.) I have seen in promo for BD of Twine from 2008 there at more blue and it is darker and always not understand why. Overall my idea is that should have going in between/middle for BD. Of course it possible that have more or les problems on 46 inch tv's or higher. My Macgyver dvd's on my 42 inch tv are realy 7,5-8/10 and some 80 series from Universal 9-10/10.

Independence Day on my normal BD in 4K (not confuse this with 4K BD) looks like old vhs, on cinema option i think it is oke a litle to dark in some scenes. This example of Independence is how 4K BD is believe, only then cinema option is named hdr i believe. Personaly i prefer the video image is on the disc and should work on standard setting. Thinker Taylor Spy BD also have that dark and grain problem, when iam going watch that movie i must play with settings. I watched beginning and opening looks bad in both ways. Healthy grain i accepted. I think this proofs again sometimes there is to much light or to dark problem and grean happend because it is to light.

Moost of time it is Fox/Sony transfers who have problems on BD with 80's or 90 movies. Ghostbusters on BD (who claimd to be 4k transfer) have to much un healty grain (to light ?) and cinema setting it is to dark. What rais quistion again why not at it already darker on disc. Stil itd does not look like as my worse experience so far: Robocop, i replaced it for another movie. It was first movie on BD in 4K i bought. Color problems, to much grean and to dark (And turn out not to be my movie), whyle review from American website give idea we get same disc in The Netherlands. Also extra's have a lot of grain. Whyle the claim is there, i never found a review from Uk, German or Dutch version (who you expect from there use same disc as American release ). Before i deside to go back to the store and be dificult to get replacement i send Fox message about it, but after one quistion or i can send pictures i don't get message back.

I take a risc and buy Sony 3 movie pack with three movies from the 70's on BD (who are not in 4K). Amazing. Have some Warner 80 movieson BD, great. I have considerd to buy Bad Boys movies, but iam afraid that first movie have to much grain. But even if was good, i possible not buy it because lack extra's.

I watched my 2D version of Christmas Carol movie with Jim Carrey in 3D. Not only to see how 2D disc wil look in 3D, but inspecialy because as 2D there is to much light.

MakeshiftPython if you can do Twine with screenshot of gun trowing that tricked the girl to escape from pretitle and devil's breath include. Whyle of course DVD BD in PC as you doing is not what i prefer, stil curious.
    For the first time ever, North America will get access to the Unrated/Extended cut of CR in the Daniel Craig 4K Collection. It seems all versions will have it, I know the region-free UK cut was one of the only methods to previously own it on blu-ray. That's awesome news.
    Can't wait to experience Eva Greene's smooth skin in glorious 4K.
    For the first time ever, North America will get access to the Unrated/Extended cut of CR in the Daniel Craig 4K Collection. It seems all versions will have it, I know the region-free UK cut was one of the only methods to previously own it on blu-ray. That's awesome news.

Funnily, it’s been on iTunes ever since the 4K versions were available as digital downloads. It sort of happened without any fanfare, and I only noticed it once I actually sat down to watch it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Are the ‘added in for BD only’ scratches and film marks from Thunderball in the 4K release? A dodgy scan must have been used for that back in the day.
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    Are the ‘added in for BD only’ scratches and film marks from Thunderball in the 4K release? A dodgy scan must have been used for that back in the day.

I forget where these marks were, could you point them out in which scenes?

Mind you, I’ve yet to actually sit through an entire viewing of the 4Ks. So far it’s just been a few sampling’s to see how they look in motion, and taking screencaps.
    Can't wait to experience Eva Greene's smooth skin in glorious 4K.

You know you're even more eager for those sweaty nut-whipping sequences between Bond and Le Chiffre.

@MakeshiftPython, interesting, I wasn't aware. Physically, then, it'll be the first time it's available here in NA. I'd love to check out the Apple 4K versions, I'm dying to see that 4K of GE.