James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

@Shardlake, what size is your tv set?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    boldfinger wrote: »

It's only a 40" but it's HD 4K.

I'm not allowed anything bigger, my Wife says.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited September 2019 Posts: 2,058
    I just upgraded to a Sony 55 Inch 4K HDR10 set, and although Im currently only playing standard 1080p blu ray through it, the picture quality of Skyfall is absolutely outstanding.

A proper 4K version of it must look unreal.

Admittedly the previous tv was a Sony 32 Inch 1080p set....
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    @ToTheRight you may find this interesting, regarding the color of YOLT. I just grabbed the LaserDisc (as the format is supposed to give a rough idea of what the original print colors looked like), and I'm seeing parallels with TLD regarding how the SE DVD sort of veered one way from the other formats. Coincidentally, it's the sunrise shot again that shows the most difference.

1989 MGM LD
    02YOLTLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    02YOLTDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    02YOLTBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    02YOLT4K.png

1989 MGM LD
    05YOLTLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    05YOLTDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    05YOLTBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    05YOLT4K.png

1989 MGM LD
    08YOLTLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    08YOLTDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    08YOLTBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    08YOLT4K.png

1989 MGM LD
    09YOLTLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    09YOLTDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    09YOLTBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    09YOLT4K.png

1989 MGM LD
    12YOLTLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    12YOLTDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    12YOLTBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    12YOLT4K.png
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 15,818
    Very interesting. Seems like the 2000 SE DVDs took more liberties than I certainly remember. That said, though the 1989 LD edition seems to have the flesh tones much closer to the scratchy 35mm print I saw a few years ago. The sunrise comparisons are quite telling.

It's be interesting to see a comparison of TSWLM Nile river Bond/Anya sequence.
    The different VHS/DVD versions varied quite a bit on that scene. I actually think the current Blu-ray captures that scene fairly faithfully to the cinematic prints.
    Someone I frequently interact with that's pretty knowledgeable about film prints says that the blu-ray for TSWLM is the first time it ever looked quite right on home media, so I imagine the 4K transfer shouldn't be too different. It'll be awhile before I post caps of that film.

But yeah, of all the films I've posted caps on so far, it seems the SE DVDs generally carry a warmer color palatte. Then there's the edge enhancements applied that was commonly done to DVDs back in those days.

Anyway, here's the new caps made for FRWL. Again, the 4K loses that magenta push that seems to be a common thing on the blu-rays so far. Both the blu-ray and 4K do show just how much the 2000 DVD cropped out as well. Doesn't seem as drastic as DN, but still.

2000 SE DVD
    01FRWLDVDSE.jpg

2008 FOX BD
    01FRWLBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    01FRWL4K.png

2000 SE DVD
    02FRWLDVDSE.jpg

2008 FOX BD
    02FRWLBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    02FRWL4K.png

2000 SE DVD
    03FRWLSE.jpg

2008 FOX BD
    03FRWLBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    03FRWL4K.png

2000 SE DVD
    04FRWLSE.jpg

2008 FOX BD
    04FRWLBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    04FRWL4K.png

2000 SE DVD
    05FRWLSE.jpg

2008 FOX BD
    05FRWLBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    05FRWL4K.png

@MakeshiftPython Haven't checked for this yet as I don't have any of the DVD's beside me right now, but are the cropped out areas also cropped out on the mid 00's UE DVD's?
    @MakeshiftPython Haven't checked for this yet as I don't have any of the DVD's beside me right now, but are the cropped out areas also cropped out on the mid 00's UE DVD's?

The aspect ratio has been fixed for DN, FRWL, and GF on the UE DVDs, so there's no more cropping on those.

However, there was cropping done on the UE DVDs for GE, but the blu-rays fixed that (though adding other issues).

Also there was cropping done for the PTS of AVTAK on UE that carried over onto the blu-ray. Thankfully, the 4K of AVTAK fixed that cropping issue among other things.

The aspect ratio has been fixed for DN, FRWL, and GF on the UE DVDs, so there's no more cropping on those.

However, there was cropping done on the UE DVDs for GE, but the blu-rays fixed that (though adding other issues).

Also there was cropping done for the PTS of AVTAK on UE that carried over onto the blu-ray. Thankfully, the 4K of AVTAK fixed that cropping issue among other things.

Thanks! That's at least an additional incentive for purchasing the films through iTunes. Won't get 4K with my TV and Apple TV, but at least the images will still look good, and the aspect ratio will be correct.

How does the 4K AVTAK look?
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Thanks! That's at least an additional incentive for purchasing the films through iTunes. Won't get 4K with my TV and Apple TV, but at least the images will still look good, and the aspect ratio will be correct.

A significant improvement over the Blu-ray, IMO.
    AVTAK does look at lot better now. I'll quote an earlier post where I took two captures of the gun barrel and PTS. Eventually I'll take more captures, but that'll be awhile.

Gun barrel:

UE DVD:

a-view10.jpg

4K iTunes:

avtak111.png

Shot of helicopter over glaciers:

UE DVD:

a-view11.jpg

4K iTunes:

avtak211.png

Shardlake wrote: »

@Shardlake, you should have a serious word with your wife, she has to understand the important things in life ;-).

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

@Shardlake, you should have a serious word with your wife, she has to understand the important things in life ;-).

We are moving the living room around within the next few years so I have suggested a bigger screen when we do that.

At the moment the distance of the sofa to the screen 40" is fine but I am working on increasing that, baby steps @boldfinger ;)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Glad they fixed the cropped AVTAK. I didn't realize it was so cropped. It's very significant.
  • I don’t know any streaming service that has that. It’s Dolby Digital 5.1

Not much point then, probably best waiting for them to come out on 4k Blu-ray

We are moving the living room around within the next few years so I have suggested a bigger screen when we do that.

At the moment the distance of the sofa to the screen 40" is fine but I am working on increasing that, baby steps @boldfinger ;)
    You´re right, @Shardlake, it´s important to make her think it was her idea ;-).

Minion wrote: »

A significant improvement over the Blu-ray, IMO.
    AVTAK does look at lot better now. I'll quote an earlier post where I took two captures of the gun barrel and PTS. Eventually I'll take more captures, but that'll be awhile.

Gun barrel:

UE DVD:

a-view10.jpg

4K iTunes:

avtak111.png

Shot of helicopter over glaciers:

UE DVD:

a-view11.jpg

4K iTunes:

avtak211.png

Thank you both! As with @mattjoes, I didn't know it was THAT cropped. The shot of the helicopter over the glaciers looks a lot more vast (and IMO more impressive) with the 4K version.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    Well I watched The Prestige in 4K last night and the difference between that and the Blu-ray was night and day.

No, the difference was night 4:10 AM and night 4:30 AM ;-).
    Just did screencaps of OHMSS. I won't post them til I take captures of the LaserDisc copy I have coming in tomorrow. Brief summary: The leap from BD to 4K is about as similar as FRWL-YOLT, in that it no longer carries that magenta push. So far, DN seems to be the only one of the 60s films with a 4K that looks significantly different from the BD.

I'm actually more anxious in examining the films that Lowry did not do 4K scans of (TMWTGG, FRWL-DAD) as those were only remastered with their existing video prints back in 2006, rather than scanned at 4K at the time (which was more expensive back in the day). Because of 4K home video, there needed to be brand new masters struck from a better source than the Lowry video remasters, so I expect them to look much improved over the BD discs considerably, if AVTAK is any indication.
    I no longer hold the UE DVD of OHMSS anymore, and I can't find screencaps of that specific transfer online. Luckily I found one screencap I took from ten years ago that was still saved in my hard drive, so this will be the most complete of the OHMSS collages with Bond and Tracy on the beach.

1991 MGM LD
    OHMSSLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    OHMSSSEDVD.jpg

2006 UE DVD
    OHMSSUEDVD.jpg

2012 FOX BD
    OHMSSBD.png

2017 iTunes 4K
    OHMSS4K.png

More will be coming, I still need to crop out black bars for the other caps I just took.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 15,818
    This is fascinating as the earlier transfers don't have quite the bluish tint. I'm think the CBS/Fox VHS does have a very slight blue hue to the PTS, though.
    You know if the cinema prints had the blueish tint? I kind of regret not going to Tarantino's theater recently, as he had just screened an IB technicolor print of the Bond films.

Anyway, here's more.

1991 MGM LD
    01OHMSSLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    01OHMSSDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    01OHMSSBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    01OHMSS4K.png

1991 MGM LD
    02OHMSSLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    02OHMSSDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    02OHMSSBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    02OHMSS4K.png

1991 MGM LD
    03OHMSSLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    03OHMSSDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    03OHMSSBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    03OHMSS4K.png

1991 MGM LD
    04OHMSSLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    04OHMSSDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    04OHMSSBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    04OHMSS4K.png

1991 MGM LD
    05OHMSSLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    05OHMSSDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    05OHMSSBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    05OHMSS4K.png

1991 MGM LD
    06OHMSSLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    06OHMSSDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    06OHMSSBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    06OHMSS4K.png

1991 MGM LD
    07OHMSSLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    07OHMSSDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    07OHMSSBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    07OHMSS4K.png

1991 MGM LD
    08OHMSSLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    08OHMSSDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    08OHMSSBD.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    08OHMSS4K.png

1991 MGM LD
    09OHMSSLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    09OHMSSDVD.png

2012 FOX BD
    09OHMSS.jpg

2017 iTunes 4K
    09OHMSS4K.png
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I no longer hold the UE DVD of OHMSS anymore, and I can't find screencaps of that specific transfer online. Luckily I found one screencap I took from ten years ago that was still saved in my hard drive, so this will be the most complete of the OHMSS collages with Bond and Tracy on the beach.

1991 MGM LD
    OHMSSLD.png

2000 SE DVD
    OHMSSSEDVD.jpg

2006 UE DVD
    OHMSSUEDVD.jpg

2012 FOX BD
    OHMSSBD.png

2017 iTunes 4K
    OHMSS4K.png

More will be coming, I still need to crop out black bars for the other caps I just took.

This is fascinating as the earlier transfers don't have quite the bluish tint. I'm think the CBS/Fox VHS does have a very slight blue hue to the PTS, though.

Just checked it, and I stand corrected. On my television the CBS/Fox VHS color timing of the above cap shot looks closer to the 1991 MGM LD.
    Most curious! Bluish tints aren’t unusual for wanting to portray what’s supposed to be early morning from that era, but then again it may be revisionism. It’s hard to tell with Bond’s history of video transfers conflicting each other.
    Great screen-caps, @MakeshiftPython!
    I've seen OHMSS on the big screen in 35mm twice. I'd say from memory the PTS tint was closer to the LD version. It certainly wasn't as blue as the 2006 UE DVD.

I remember checking the title sequence -specifically the OHMSS title card itself and the tinted background. Some VHS/DVD copies leaned towards purple and others blue. In the cinematic print I saw it was more purple. Also the gunbarrel blood much much deeper red than the 2006 UE DVD.
    Thanks. That reminds me I’ll have to take screencaps of title sequences down the line. Especially of the ones that got picture boxed like TSWLM.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona

Gun barrel:

UE DVD:

a-view10.jpg

4K iTunes:

avtak111.png

But this is exactly what I dislike about these 'restored' versions and upgrades from 0.25K to 0.5K, 1K, 2K and 4K (if that exists). The gunbarrel version from AVTAK has a slightly different aspect ratio than previous Moore-barrels. John Glen wanted for this particular film the 'circle' to be bigger and more prominent. Director's choice so to say. So this 4K gunbarrel might look beter, but it's perhaps not what the director wanted. I'm becoming more and more sceptical of all these reworks.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 8,025

Gun barrel:

UE DVD:

a-view10.jpg

4K iTunes:

avtak111.png

But this is exactly what I dislike about these 'restored' versions and upgrades from 0.25K to 0.5K, 1K, 2K and 4K (if that exists). The gunbarrel version from AVTAK has a slightly different aspect ratio than previous Moore-barrels. John Glen wanted for this particular film the 'circle' to be bigger and more prominent. Director's choice so to say. So this 4K gunbarrel might look beter, but it's perhaps not what the director wanted. I'm becoming more and more sceptical of all these reworks.

Except the gun barrel was NOT cropped like that in home videos prior to the UE DVD. The zooming in was a goof on Lowry’s part, and it wasn’t the only error they made back in 2006.

Also that’s the first time I heard “Director’s choicet” regarding the cropping. Can you back that up?
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,293
    I no longer hold the UE DVD of OHMSS anymore, and I can't find screencaps of that specific transfer online.

I got the complete UE DVD collection (the release from 2009, I think it is) – let me know if you want screencaps from any of the films, @MakeshiftPython!
    Very generous of you, thanks @Torgeirtrap ! Later down the line screencaps of the main titles would be helpful, depending on which films.