The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• edited July 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Bonus use of the U.N.C.L.E. font there too :)

Hah! Didn't even notice that!
    The first car I remember my dad having was a beige 2CV - it may even have been the same colour as the one in that ad. According to family legend, one day he put his key in the wrong car in the car park by mistake, and it unlocked.

That's strange…
    We moved on to a Citroen GS which was hands down the best car we ever had. Same colour as this one:

autowp.ru_citroen_gs_special_19.jpg

Can't say I've seen that model before. Then again, I'm not too familiar with Citröen models. It does sort of remind me of another car (not a Citröen one), but I can't seem to remember which.

On a side note; I do have a soft spot for yellow and orange cars. Not that many cars suits it, but some older cars can look really good in orange or yellow.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Can I go back to something that was talked about earlier? What does the Aston Vulcan sound like?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2019 Posts: 13,882
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Sounds nice, looks ugly.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    On a side note; I do have a soft spot for yellow and orange cars. Not that many cars suits it, but some older cars can look really good in orange or yellow.

Yes! Has to be the right sort of car (it suits something quirky, like a VW Beetle, 2CV or Mini).

That reminds me: the cinema up the road from me did a 50th anniversary screening of The Italian Job on Sunday and got hold of some Minis to park outside.

EAk5zcwWkAEqT6N.jpg
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,665
    I've been a bit absent from this thread I happen to love. So here's something for the Lotus lovers. Electric, but pretty as hell isn't it?

Lotus-18.jpg?impolicy=entryimage
    evija-carousel-3.jpg
    lotus_evija_050.jpg
    https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2019%2F07%2Flotus-evija-first-fully-electric-hypercar-15.jpg?q=75&w=800&cbr=1&fit=max

edited July 2019 Posts: 3,497
    A website I visit frequently: www.imcdb.org.

Yes! Has to be the right sort of car (it suits something quirky, like a VW Beetle, 2CV or Mini).

Indeed, yellow go really well with those cars.
    That reminds me: the cinema up the road from me did a 50th anniversary screening of The Italian Job on Sunday and got hold of some Minis to park outside.

EAk5zcwWkAEqT6N.jpg

That's cool! Wish my local cinema would do screenings of old movies. They've never done that, I t think.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Oh I love imcdb.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 3,497
    Oh I love imcdb.

Yeah. But someone ought to update the Gotham TV series page.

I stopped watching it after season 3, but the city stuck in time & old cars are so cool.

If you're in the neighbourhood: https://www.thiesen-automobile.com/index.html
    qM7Od9n.jpg
    Say... ever thought of having a neat car wallpaper?

Your quest is over.

www.netcarshow.com ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Earlier today, I won this in Forza Horizon 4:

5b32b3331ae66249008b58ad-750-563.jpg

The Aston Martin DBS Superleggera '19. I would rather see that in Bond, than the Valhalla.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think it would fit in him.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Earlier today I passed a DB11 on the way home. I don't know, I thought it was a stunning car before, but now I'm not so sure. I think the DB9 is more stylish.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Earlier today I passed a DB11 on the way home. I don't know, I thought it was a stunning car before, but now I'm not so sure. I think the DB9 is more stylish.

Yeah I'm not keen on the DB11. It has presence, but it's a rather brutish looking car in a slightly ugly way. I prefer Astons looking elegant, but now they just all look like bodybuilders.
    It's also not terribly nice to sit in. If I was spending all of that money on it I'd want it to be nicer.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    mtm wrote: »

Yeah I'm not keen on the DB11. It has presence, but it's a rather brutish looking car in a slightly ugly way. I prefer Astons looking elegant, but now they just all look like bodybuilders.
    It's also not terribly nice to sit in. If I was spending all of that money on it I'd want it to be nicer.

I agree, I remember being a kid and loving the DB7 for its elegance. It was the reason why I started to love the Astons. Now they seem to want to appeal to a more nouveau riche type of person.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 3,497
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

I agree, I remember being a kid and loving the DB7 for its elegance. It was the reason why I started to love the Astons. Now they seem to want to appeal to a more nouveau riche type of person.

Or they just finally changed their style a bit and need to find new customers.

Mind you, I absolutely adore everything from the DB7 until the previous V8 Vantage, but you cannot keep on making (slight) varations of the same design.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 6,665
    Well, I for one love this

Aston-Martin-DB11_Embargo-010316-1400CET_01.jpg
    Aston_Martin_DB11_Embargo_010316_1400CET_04.0.0.1456784119.0.jpg

They just need to be in the right spec. I've seen a black one just the other day, all dirty and with a cream interior filled with paperwork, empty cigarette boxes and a pair of shoes. And it really disappeared. I guess that's the main difference from the old Astons. If an old DB4 was left in the same conditions, it still would be the prettiest car on the street. So yeah, I get where you guys are coming from.
    HdnsEIs.jpg

I've always had a thing for the eighties Austin-MG's...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Univex wrote: »

They just need to be in the right spec. I've seen a black one just the other day, all dirty and with a cream interior filled with paperwork, empty cigarette boxes and a pair of shoes. And it really disappeared. I guess that's the main difference from the old Astons. If an old DB4 was left in the same conditions, it still would be the prettiest car on the street. So yeah, I get where you guys are coming from.

I agree on this one, it is very pretty. Also liked the V12 Vanquish, the DB9 and the DBS.
    My love of cars started with the VW Beetle.

Have a look at this wonderful 1303 convertible from 1978:

4MLge83.jpg
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited August 2019 Posts: 4,311
    That‘s a nice Beetle. Even today kids are drawn to it when it parks somewhere with its top down.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited August 2019 Posts: 7,948

The one I saw was black as well, perhaps it's just the wrong colour. In all these publicity shots it has some really beautiful classic lines, but seeing it stand there, there wasn't much left of that.
    Taking the Virage I was talking about earlier in the same colour:

Photo-05-09-2016-22-10-13.jpg

I think it's fair to say the Virage still is the better looking car.

The Austin is not my thing, I love the old beatle. Then again, I loved the Herbie films as a kid
    Herbie.jpg

The one I saw was black as well, perhaps it's just the wrong colour. In all these publicity shots it has some really beautiful classic lines, but seeing it stand there, there wasn't much left of that.

The Austin is not my thing, I love the old beatle. Then again, I loved the Herbie films as a kid
    Herbie.jpg

The Virage is beautiful, but it's still a varation of the same old theme. AM would've been gone if everything stayed the same.

And it's still far from saved.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/08/aston-martin-posts-95-million-loss-for-the-first-half-of-the-year/
    I always had a weird fascination with Bristol. I like this Brittannia from 1986 very much:

WLEPuaz.jpg

9IrnM8q.jpg

UzNAucO.jpg

Herbie.jpg

The Virage is beautiful, but it's still a varation of the same old theme. AM would've been gone if everything stayed the same.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/08/aston-martin-posts-95-million-loss-for-the-first-half-of-the-year/

Oh sure, I didn't mean they should stick to the same design, just commenting on the current model. Am have done better. Not that I find the '11 ugly, far from it. And Iove the aerodynamics they used to prevent using a spoiler.

Bristol is a fascinating brand. Reminds me of the old Peugeots, just a bit more cumbersome.

Herbie.jpg

Oh sure, I didn't mean they should stick to the same design, just commenting on the current model. Am have done better. Not that I find the '11 ugly, far from it. And Iove the aerodynamics they used to prevent using a spoiler.

Bristol is a fascinating brand. Reminds me of the old Peugeots, just a bit more cumbersome.

Yeah, like this 504 coupé ;)

RWWLCG4.jpg