No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    In Die Another Day, M recinds Bond's 00 status in Hong Kong.

So for a good chunk of that movie, James Bond isn't 007.

Don't remember anyone moaning about that.
    May be we should change the thread name to Nomi26?!!!!! :-bd :)) =))
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I really want the villain of B25 to be non-SPECTRE. The silly retcon still bothers me from SP. Anytime I watch Craig’s first 3, I never think of the villains as SPECTRE agents.

I don't think anyone does.

It would have helped if they had merely stuck to the notion that Quantum had Spectre as a shadow organization behind it and that LeChiffre was simply the money guy but little else. Silva should have been left out completely.

But as it is now, we're supposed to think that every opponent Bond's ever faced since 2006 is a Spectre agent. Okay, almost. Good thing they didn't include Dreyden and his contacts. We dodged that bullet.

I always understood many worked for Spectre without knowing it, either as freelance agents (Dimitrios) or goons being paid by a high or middle ranking villain not knowing or caring who ultimately signs the paychecks.
    Mallory wrote: »
    In Die Another Day, M rescinds Bond's 00 status in Hong Kong.

So for a good chunk of that movie, James Bond isn't 007.

Don't remember anyone moaning about that.
    For good reason, the 007 prefix wasn't given to another character in the same movie.
    Univex wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the Twitter reactions? My god people are dense.

The user loanerbrain does have a fair point:
    "They are laying down the ground work so all the SJW's can push for James Bond to be replaced by whoever is not a straight white male."

Overblown.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0426/1045790-bond-producer-says-007-will-always-be-male/

But she also said that male, yes, white, not so sure. She said the part was open for any actor who would be a good actor in the part. I wish she had said Bond was white and a man, as written by his author, and that there was no need to be ashamed or feel guilty about that, about maintaining the character's depiction as written by its author. And that this shouldn't be considered racist or misogynist, just coherent and respectful. And that all races, cultures and genres deserve characters as strong and representative as James Bond. And that finally there's room in the world to create them.

Now THAT would've been a speech.

I agree in part, but Fleming also said he had dark hair, resembled Hoagy Carmichael and had a scar down his cheek and the closest actor to that description was Dalton. This could quite easily get into ‘James Blonde’-gate again if we’re not careful. The origin of the actor doesn’t matter to me so long as HE is a great actor committed to bringing the spirit of Fleming’s character to the screen.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,677

"They are laying down the ground work so all the SJW's can push for James Bond to be replaced by whoever is not a straight white male."

Overblown.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0426/1045790-bond-producer-says-007-will-always-be-male/

But she also said that male, yes, white, not so sure. She said the part was open for any actor who would be a good actor in the part. I wish she had said Bond was white and a man, as written by his author, and that there was no need to be ashamed or feel guilty about that, about maintaining the character's depiction as written by its author. And that this shouldn't be considered racist or misogynist, just coherent and respectful. And that all races, cultures and genres deserve characters as strong and representative as James Bond. And that finally there's room in the world to create them.

I agree in part, but Fleming also said he had dark hair, resembled Hoagy Carmichael and had a scar down his cheek and the closest actor to that description was Dalton. This could quite easily get into ‘James Blonde’-gate again if we’re not careful. The origin of the actor doesn’t matter to me so long as HE is a great actor committed to bringing the spirit of Fleming’s character to the screen.

Oh, but I am in favour of a more realist depiction of Bond, hair and all. That being said, let's not say that ethnicity or gender and hair colour are the very same thing, ok? That would only serve the righteous brigade. And this discussion is getting stale by the minute. James bond is a white man. Destroying the character characterisation because of political and racial issues is, amongst other things, racist.

Moving on please. I used to love this "new" filming thread ;)
  • I’m honestly s bit shocked at the backlash to the idea of someone else being 007. It doesn’t make the character any less “Bond” and it doesn’t mean that the new 007 is all of a sudden “Bond.” It’s just a number, it doesn’t make the character who he is
    I believe that was the character Vesper Lynd remarking: "Bond reminds me rather of Hoagy Carmichael, but there is something cold and ruthless." Reminds isn't exactly the same as an incontestable description of someone. However, what isn't incontestable is whether Bond is Caucasian or not. Anyway, this is all sidestepping away from there being another 007 in B25.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Overblown.

Oh, but I am in favour of a more realist depiction of Bond, hair and all. That being said, let's not say that ethnicity or gender and hair colour are the very same thing, ok? That would only serve the righteous brigade. And this discussion is getting stale by the minute. James bond is a white man. Destroying the character characterisation because of political and racial issues is, amongst other things, racist.

I hear Italy is nice this time of year! ;)
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,677

Overblown.

I hear Italy is nice this time of year! ;)

Yes, I wonder when we'll get some Matera stuff? ;)
    bondsum wrote: »
    I believe that was the character Vesper Lynd remarking: "Bond reminds me rather of Hoagy Carmichael, but there is something cold and ruthless." Reminds isn't exactly the same as an incontestable description of someone. However, what isn't incontestable is whether Bond is Caucasian or not. Anyway, this is all sidestepping away from there being another 007 in B25.

Very well said.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

Overblown.

Totally agree +1

I think the fact Vesper made the Carmichael comparison as well as Gala Brandt in Moonraker isn’t purely coincidence. I’m pretty sure that’s how Fleming wanted us to envisage him...

That aside I agree with @Univex let’s get back to the fun stuff which is speculating on B25 and apologies for any offence caused. Anyone see the new pic on ‘whatsdanielwearing’ on Instagram? Craig looks great signing the car...really excited to see B25 more than ever now.
    On the surface it really does feel like a gimmicky, pandering move. It better have serious meaning and substance in the film, or EON will never hear the end of it. I’ll not be a happy camper if Nomi is 007 by the end of this. Bond is always 007 to me.
    Sadly for me, I don't find Lynch very attractive not physically imposing as a field agent. Just personal taste on the former, and maybe a bit more objective on the latter. Craig clearly takes his training seriously, but even Harris looks fit enough to be convincing.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    One scenario I can see this playing out that would please me is if Lynch is a villain in disguise, which would help pave an appropriate road to Bond getting the 007 title back.

Predictable.
    I agree. In fact, I think it's such an awful idea this is exactly what EON came up with.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    One scenario I can see this playing out that would please me is if Lynch is a villain in disguise, which would help pave an appropriate road to Bond getting the 007 title back.

Predictable.
    I agree. In fact, I think it's such an awful idea this is exactly what EON came up with.

Another C thing? Yeah, I hope not. That would be weak.

Predictable.

Wouldn’t put it past P&W but I hope SZB/PWB nipped that one in the bud. Sounds like Miranda Frost all over again.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    How would everyone feel about Nomi getting her own 00 number and feature in spin-off films between Bond entries? You know, like what they were trying to do with Jinx all the way back in 2002.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 8,026
    Minion wrote: »
    How would everyone feel about Nomi getting her own 00 number and feature in spin-off films between Bond entries? You know, like what they were trying to do with Jinx all the way back in 2002.

I'll be able to answer this a lot better once Bond 25 comes out. Right now, it's something I couldn't care less about.
    I think the fact Vesper made the Carmichael comparison as well as Gala Brandt in Moonraker isn’t purely coincidence. I’m pretty sure that’s how Fleming wanted us to envisage him...

That aside I agree with @Univex let’s get back to the fun stuff which is speculating on B25 and apologies for any offence caused. Anyone see the new pic on ‘whatsdanielwearing’ on Instagram? Craig looks great signing the car...really excited to see B25 more than ever now.
    The coincidence is that Fleming resembled Hoagy Carmichael himself and used the singer as a device to make a comparison by, the same way Lee Child writes Jack Reacher with similar characteristics to himself. Call it author's narcissism. Personally, I'm glad Fleming did as it puts beyond any doubt Bond's ethnicity in the original books.

But back to your other point: Yes, Craig's looking good signing that car.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,400
    I'm unsure if the actress, Nicola Thorp, is working on Bond 25 or is a friend of Lynch's but she posted this on Twitter:

Nicola Thorp was on set at Pinewood Studios with Lashana in June 2019

This feels the closest to confirmation of the Daily Mail's story currently. I await what MI6-HQ and Rodrigo Perez have to say about this.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’ve watched CR more times than I care to mention and Carlos’ ethnicity, nationality and political or religious affiliations have never entered my mind .
    That’s looking for something that isn’t there.

@talos7 got you thinking though, haven't I...
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 533
    Sadly for me, I don't find Lynch very attractive not physically imposing as a field agent. Just personal taste on the former, and maybe a bit more objective on the latter.

Too dark for you?

Craig clearly takes his training seriously, but even Harris looks fit enough to be convincing.

I knew many of you would have a fit over this news. By the way, many were practically laughing at the idea of Harris' Moneypenny being a field agent some seven years ago, and now you see her as 007 more than Lynch? By the way, Lynch's character will only be the new 007 in the movie's first half. Bond will resume the position after a bad incident.

The coincidence is that Fleming resembled Hoagy Carmichael himself and used the singer as a device to make a comparison by, the same way Lee Child writes Jack Reacher with similar characteristics to himself. Call it author's narcissism. Personally, I'm glad Fleming did as it puts beyond any doubt Bond's ethnicity in the original books.

But back to your other point: Yes, Craig's looking good signing that car.

Ah, I think we’ve been at cross purposes somewhat and glad to have cleared it up. I know skin colour and hair colour aren’t the same AT ALL in terms of scale, however it all got me wondering; if someone who isn’t Caucasian came along and redefined the role in the way Craig has, the issue of his skin colour could/would/should become as moot a point as whether his hair is dark (like the books) or blonde (like DC.) This is all speculative and personal opinion anyway and I’m not asking anyone to agree with me. For the record I’d like him to look faithful to Fleming’s vision, but I try and stay open minded too.
    Not looking to fall out with anyone here I’d just like to get psyched up about B25. Anyone got any speculation on when we might hear/see anything re: Malek?!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DRush76 wrote: »
    Sadly for me, I don't find Lynch very attractive not physically imposing as a field agent. Just personal taste on the former, and maybe a bit more objective on the latter. Craig clearly takes his training seriously, but even Harris looks fit enough to be convincing.

I knew many of you would have a fit over this news. By the way, many were practically laughing at the idea of Harris' Moneypenny being a field agent, now you want her as 007 instead of Lynch?

By the way, Lynch's character will only be the new 007 in the movie's first half. Bond will resume the position after a bad incident.
    If that's the case, what happens to Nomi?
    By the way, Lynch's character will only be the new 007 in the movie's first half. Bond will resume the position after a bad incident.

As anticipated!

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I knew many of you would have a fit over this news. By the way, many were practically laughing at the idea of Harris' Moneypenny being a field agent, and now you see her as 007 more than Lynch? By the way, Lynch's character will only be the new 007 in the movie's first half. Bond will resume the position after a bad incident.

What are you talking about?
    Sadly for me, I don't find Lynch very attractive not physically imposing as a field agent. Just personal taste on the former, and maybe a bit more objective on the latter.

Too dark for you?

Craig clearly takes his training seriously, but even Harris looks fit enough to be convincing.

I knew many of you would have a fit over this news. By the way, many were practically laughing at the idea of Harris' Moneypenny being a field agent some seven years ago, and now you see her as 007 more than Lynch? By the way, Lynch's character will only be the new 007 in the movie's first half. Bond will resume the position after a bad incident.

Sounds great! How do you know this?!
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I don't get how this is helpful to the plot at all it's a gimmick it's like oh I'm 007 for a day ok that was fun here you Bond like what the heck just pointless political gimmick.
    octofinger wrote: »

I think she looks great in the photo (from the teaser) that @Pierce2Daniel posted earlier.
    149pohs.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Too dark for you?

Sounds great! How do you know this?!
    They're making assumptions based on what's already known. The confrontational scene between Bond and M after the Cuba sequence will likely address what happens with the 007 codename.