No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    echo wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »
    I really want the villain of B25 to be non-SPECTRE. The silly retcon still bothers me from SP. Anytime I watch Craig’s first 3, I never think of the villains as SPECTRE agents.

You and me both man. Spectre and Bloberhauser were behind Le Chiffre and Greene? Sorry. That was Quantum. Silva was his own thing.

I was okay enough (still very bad execution in SP) with Quantum being part of SPECTRE (pretty sure Quantum was literally created just because they didn't have the rights to SPECTRE at the time). Silva DEFINITELY seemed like he was out on his own. It'd be nice for Craig to at least get one non-SPECTRE foe for the sake of variety. Probably not going to happen though. For whatever reason they felt the need to make his films more connected. I still can watch and enjoy the first 3 without thinking about SP though. They could have at least tried a lot better at explaining the connections, which were glazed over way too quickly.

Here's a question: was Eon already pursuing the rights to SPECTRE in 2005? Did they write it as "our organization" so that they potentially could use it for the next movie after CR?

My understanding was that EON had been fighting to get the rights back for SPECTRE and Blofeld for a lot longer than that.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So much to speculate about, eh? ;) Keeping us buzzing.

I'm fine with dream sequences, flashbacks, Spectre agents pretty much everywhere. Just give me a damn good story, well written and beautifully filmed. I think we will get that because of Cary and Sandgren. Very much looking forward to the first trailer.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Lashana Lynch to play '007' in Bond 25
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7244671/Thought-007-never-woman-black-shes-James-Bond-hand-number-over.html

16009112-7244623-image-a-11_1563048356192.jpg

A movie insider said: 'There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

It's happening....personally, I love this idea. I think it's a really cool and mischievous concept. I still have reservations about Lashana (though the Jamaica video did curtail them). I'm still a bit gutted that Lupita turned it down tbh.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I knew it, even if it's hard to accept.

Better in the beginning than in the end of the film, btw.
  • RC7RC7
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7244671/Thought-007-never-woman-black-shes-James-Bond-hand-number-over.html

A movie insider said: 'There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

It's happening....

In which case it won’t revert back to Bond.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    RC7 wrote: »

It's happening....

Fair to speculate now that the Aston Martin Valkyrie belongs to Nomi, then?

This all seems a bit bizarre to me, and as you explained previously, @RC7, I think they're going to be inviting a bit of criticism later on. I mean, Bond will eventually get that agent number back. It's inevitable.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I can't say I'm comfortable with the film ending with anyone but Bond having the 007 codename. That would be utterly ridiculous.
    I love the idea of a black female 007 in active duty while Bond is on the periphery. What a novel idea!
  • echoecho 007 in New York

It's happening....

This all seems a bit bizarre to me, and as you explained previously, @RC7, I think they're going to be inviting a bit of criticism later on. I mean, Bond will eventually get that agent number back. It's inevitable.

She could die, she could relinquish it, she could ask for another number...there are many ways for them to go.
    Wow. I’m seriously disappointed. They really are just catering to the PC crowd. My hype just dropped significantly.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    TR007 wrote: »
    I love the idea of a black female 007 in active duty while Bond is on the periphery. What a novel idea!

I'm with you @TR007 -- this is a fresh and bold idea... Lets see how it then unravels and plays out... Will Bond's ego be hurt that he's been replaced-- especially by a woman? After all, as PWB has stated, Bond and his treatment of women doesn't have to change, he has to stay true to his character.

And I can see Lashana thwarting his attempts at seduction because, well, she's trained to do so. Could make for some nice sexual tension and chemistry (and, in the end, is she the one to lay Bond (as Mayday did to Rog-Bond in AVTAK)?)
    edited July 2019 Posts: 8,034

It's happening....

She could die, she could relinquish it, she could ask for another number...there are many ways for them to go.

Exactly. And almost all of those would invite further criticism from the very loud internet generation; because at the end of the day, all they'll see is a white man taking a black woman's spot. Her asking for another number might be the only one out of those that you listed that might dodge that sort of analysis.

Which, ultimately, is why I find it rather strange that this is the route they've taken.

Interesting, very different, and in many ways exciting nonetheless. I'm sure Nomi will be a great character and that Lynch will play her well. It also gives Craig some more stuff to work with, thematically.

It's happening....

Sure, I don't see James with the Valhalla hyper-car.

Point, is: I'm fine with the idea of adding this kind of "twist" in the beginning. It would add a brand new element to deal with for the franchise. BUT, I wouldn't accept the idea of having another character playing 007 by the end of the film. And I honestly don't think they'll go this route, especially for the future of the franchise itself. 007 is James Bond.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,400
    TR007 wrote: »

+1

149pohs.jpg
    Wow. I’m seriously disappointed. They really are just catering to the PC crowd. My hype just dropped significantly.

I'm seeing this argument a lot these days in respect to a number of castings in big films. Perhaps Lashana was just the best person for the job and had the most chemistry with Craig. No one has seen her screentest or any other people she was up against.
    To clarify, I have nothing wrong with a black female as a 00 agent. But James Bond, a male, IS 007. Why could she not be given another code number?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    matt_u wrote: »

It's happening....

Point, is: I'm fine with the idea of adding this kind of "twist" in the beginning. It would add a brand new element to deal with for the franchise. BUT, I wouldn't accept the idea of having another character playing 007 by the end of the film. And I honestly don't think they'll go this route, especially for the future of the franchise itself. 007 is James Bond.
    Agreed.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

It's happening....

Exactly. And almost all of those would invite further criticism from the very loud internet generation; because at the end of the day, all they'll see is a white man taking a black woman's spot. Her asking for another number might be the only one out of those that you listed that might dodge that sort of analysis.

Which, ultimately, is why I find it rather strange that this is the route they've taken.

Interesting, very different, and in many ways exciting nonetheless. I'm sure Nomi will be a great character and that Lynch will play her well. It also gives Craig some more stuff to work with, thematically.

Hard to
    To clarify, I have nothing wrong with a black female as a 00 agent. But James Bond, a male, IS 007. Why could she not be given another code number?

Wasn't he given the 00-number at the hospital? "Mr. and Mrs. Bond, you have a lovely baby 007."

It's happening....

What scenario would make her ask for another number?
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    At this point, I think having the new 007 be a white guy would be ballsier than casting a black woman.

I don't hate this idea as much as others. I expected it. But like others have said, it sounds like EON is trying to be too PC, which Bond should never be.
    For the last 57 years we’ve always known how these movies, in particular Bond’s relationship with the female lead would pan out.
    While I appreciate that there’s comfort in the familiarity of this and that the formula for these movies has been a key factor in the success of the series, how exciting is it to see a shake up like this?
    I love that EON are trying something new with the Bond woman for this movie. And hey, worst case scenario if it doesn’t work out, they’ll go back to the formula for the next one.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,164

It's happening....

Gotta remember, after this it's not like they won't go back to the usual status quo with the next actor....that's the advantage of the rebooted closed continuity sandbox Craig is playing in. They can make radical decisions like this. It's only for one film, come on people...

Also, quick reminder that this is the role Lupita Nyong'o was eyed for (she passed due to scheduling, presumably with Jessica Chastain's 355 which is shooting now)

And from Waller Bridge last month:
    “I think that’s bollocks. I think he’s absolutely relevant now. It has just got to grow. It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn’t have to. He needs to be true to this character.”
    At this point, I think having the new 007 be a white guy would be ballsier than casting a black woman.

I don't hate this idea as much as others. I expected it. But like others have said, it sounds like EON is trying to be too PC, which Bond should never be.

Also the fact Bond is having to deal with #MeToo. I mean really? All the women Bond gets with want it. He’s not a rapist.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 8,034
    jake24 wrote: »

It's happening....

What scenario would make her ask for another number?

It depends on whether she's still alive at the end, and whether Craig's Bond is. But if he does return to service, maybe he asks for it back and she agrees?

Highly unlikely, of course. Almost guaranteed to not happen that way. But, just hypothetically....

It's far more likely that Lynch's agent doesn't survive or isn't still part of the service by the time the film ends, which is why I raised the above concerns/queries.

I think it's a pretty fresh idea and I look forward to seeing what they do with it - but if they screw it up, it could backfire badly.

Her not being in the photos with Craig, Fiennes and Kinnear today (at least from what I saw) leads me to believe she's gone by that point. Or she could be a double-agent, a villain. An even further twist. The new 007 is a baddie?
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

Also the fact Bond is having to deal with #MeToo. I mean really? All the women Bond gets with want it. He’s not a rapist.

Thank you!!
    antovolk wrote: »

It's happening....

Gotta remember, after this it's not like they won't go back to the usual status quo with the next actor....that's the advantage of the rebooted closed continuity sandbox Craig is playing in. They can make radical decisions like this. It's only for one film, come on people...

We live in an era where the continuity sometimes is more important to people than the film itself. Every new Marvel crap that comes out people are more interested in knowing how many post credit scenes there are and what are they about rather than care what the film is really about.

Do you believe EoN will choose to close the Craig era with a woman as 007 while then promoting again 007 after some years as a white male pretending what they did in 25 never happened?

Thank you!!

Let’s hope that line in the DailyMail about that is just some BS. PWB’s comments seemed more understanding of the character and series.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Not a big fan of this revelation honestly. It's not that the 007 number can't be handed out to the following agent, it's just that there wasn't ever a need to see this person. They're only having this new '007' in the film for an easy joke/banter basically. And the people clamoring for a non-white, female James Bond still aren't going to be satisfied. Will this half-baked idea achieve anything?
    They also say the movie will have a lot of humor. Wasn't Craig suited for some classic old school humor?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Before anyone gets their knickers in a bunch: times are changing around James Bond-- whether you agree or disagree, it's happening.

It's happening all around you.

However, as one of the lead writers (PWB) has already stated: Bond has to stay true to his character.

To me, that was an incredible statement, and I re-read it several times after it was published-- it made me that happy; she "got" the character. James Bond shouldn't change and he should remain firmly entrenched in his roots. That's what Ian Fleming's Bond is all about, after all... He doesn't exactly belong to the external world... He's a stranger...

And, as PWB has rightly ascertained, the women in the Craig era have all been quite three dimensional (I'd even include Madeleine, as far as backstory and character are concerned, it's just the way it was executed where it fell short, but; Vesper, Camille (even Fields, who knew she let her inexperience overwhelm her), Severine... these are the best collection of Bond women-- for me-- since Connery.

B25 is not kissing the ass of PC, no matter the spin. We have one of the lead, female, writers saying how good this era has been for women; she says Bond doesn't change, since he must stay true to his character, and; she has said she just wants the female actresses to pick up the script and be happy with their role-- that the characters are real and they can connect to the material. But that's what ALL writer's of films want. PWB just happens to write amazing female characters and puts them into amazing and uncomfortable scenes.

After watching her body of work, especially Fleabag, I'm sold on her unique talent to tackle and depict truthfulness and reality (from the absurd). She's a unique voice. I think the Bond community should embrace her, and; this idea of James Bond being replaced as 007? He's been gone for five years! He may have tried to disappear and stay off the grid. It's a very unique idea and one, I feel, is closer to Fleming (when Bond is given a different government number in YOLT as a diplomat).
    peter wrote: »
    Before anyone gets their knickers in a bunch: times are changing around James Bond-- whether you agree or disagree, it's happening.

It's happening all around you.

However, as one of the lead writers (PWB) has already stated: Bond has to stay true to his character.

To me, that was an incredible statement, and I re-read it several times after it was published-- it made me that happy; she "got" the character. James Bond shouldn't change and he should remain firmly entrenched in his roots. That's what Ian Fleming's Bond is all about, after all... He doesn't exactly belong to the external world... He's a stranger...

And, as PWB has rightly ascertained, the women in the Craig era have all been quite three dimensional (I'd even include Madeleine, as far as backstory and character are concerned, it's just the way it was executed where it fell short, but; Vesper, Camille (even Fields, who knew she let her inexperience overwhelm her), Severine... these are the best collection of Bond women-- for me-- since Connery.

B25 is not kissing the ass of PC, no matter the spin. We have one of the lead, female, writers saying how good this era has been for women; she says Bond doesn't change, since he must stay true to his character, and; she has said she just wants the female actresses to pick up the script and be happy with their role-- that the characters are real and they can connect to the material. But that's what ALL writer's of films want. PWB just happens to write amazing female characters and puts them into amazing and uncomfortable scenes.

After watching her body of work, especially Fleabag, I'm sold on her unique talent to tackle and depict truthfulness and reality (from the absurd). She's a unique voice. I think the Bond community should embrace her, and; this idea of James Bond being replaced as 007? He's been gone for five years! He may have tried to disappear and stay off the grid. It's a very unique idea and one, I feel, is closer to Fleming (when Bond is given a different government number in YOLT as a diplomat).

Good stuff as always, @peter

:)