No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Eon can't win. If they do something new, you riot. If they don't, you still riot.

At least I'm gonna enjoy Bond 25 :D
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Eon can't win. If they do something new, you riot. If they don't, you still riot.

Precisely.
    Out of all the new things they could have done why this.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Rumour: Beyonce and Jay Z have met with Bond producers to do Bond 25 theme

Please please please please be true. This would be far too good.

talos7 wrote: »
    I'm unsure if the actress, Nicola Thorp, is working on Bond 25 or is a friend of Lynch's but she posted this on Twitter:

Nicola Thorp was on set at Pinewood Studios with Lashana in June 2019

This feels the closest to confirmation of the Daily Mail's story currently. I await what MI6-HQ and Rodrigo Perez have to say about this.
    I’ve watched CR more times than I care to mention and Carlos’ ethnicity, nationality and political or religious affiliations have never entered my mind .
    That’s looking for something that isn’t there.

@talos7 got you thinking though, haven't I...

Not one bit when it comes to those speculations. He’s a “ hire gun” no more, no less, not even a try believer as certain lady might say. His motivations are meaningless and trying to read something into his physical appearance is a personal exercise and has nothing to do with why the actor was actually cast.

What is interesting is M's comments regarding the attack being similar to "9/11". M implies that Le Chiffre conspired with al-Qaeda in orchestrating 9/11, or at least deliberately profiteering from the attacks by short selling large quantities of airline stocks beforehand.

So will I.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Tuck91 wrote: »

@Tuck91 same it's like I'm for new things but this is just stupid and pointless.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869
    [deleted]
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Kananga wrote: »
    Rubbish idea, just keep the films the way they are.

They've been messing with the formula as if they were embarrassed by it for a long, long time. They think that makes emends on their inability to find new narratives.

Not saying that their product hasn't been interesting or even great as of late (talking about the last 13 years), but it's a "new coke" nonetheless. Not a Coca-Cola. Not even a Coca-Cola classic. Heck, when it's really really good (CR/SF) it's even Pepsi. I love Pepsi. But it's not Coca-Cola. It's Pepsi, and it's great.

If that made any sense...
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,293
    The more I think of the recent news, the more I find myself thinking of Anthony Horowitz' Forever And A Day, in which they also played with the double-O status (although in a less "controversial" fashion). How do we think they'll handle the marketing campaign?

1200x628_bond_04.png
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,164
    vzok wrote: »
    Are we going to end up with a series of 007 films and a separate series of Bond films after this?

I think what they could do is use it as a springboard for a spin-off film/s or - more likely/better - a TV/streaming series with Lynch as Nomi. Particularly after the inevitable reboot/new Bond that B26 will bring, they can still follow on with the Craig universe/timeline. Nomi carrying on the 'Bond legacy' so to say, a bit like John Blake/Robin in Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises (though Nolan didn't want this to be followed up on at all), is certainly a better starting point for a spin-off than Jinx.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Why not? Again, it makes sense there would be a new 007 with Bond's retirement and it would be wimpish to not introduce them if you're gonna bring MI6 back, so why not make it one of the Bond girls? It's an interesting dynamic. Do you really think they'd leave the position blank for five years?

The 007 name isn't famous within the context of the films, it's a secret codename for an MI6 agent, not James Bond's mysterious identifier.

They can win if they ignore fans and their silly wishes and simply aim to make the best film possible even if it's completely untraditional.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I'm unsure if the actress, Nicola Thorp, is working on Bond 25 or is a friend of Lynch's but she posted this on Twitter:

This feels the closest to confirmation of the Daily Mail's story currently. I await what MI6-HQ and Rodrigo Perez have to say about this.
    I’ve watched CR more times than I care to mention and Carlos’ ethnicity, nationality and political or religious affiliations have never entered my mind .

Not one bit when it comes to those speculations. He’s a “ hire gun” no more, no less, not even a try believer as certain lady might say. His motivations are meaningless and trying to read something into his physical appearance is a personal exercise and has nothing to do with why the actor was actually cast.

What is interesting is M's comments regarding the attack being similar to "9/11". M implies that Le Chiffre conspired with al-Qaeda in orchestrating 9/11, or at least deliberately profiteering from the attacks by short selling large quantities of airline stocks beforehand.

With that, I don’t think she was implying that it was LeChiffe that worked with Al-Queda, she was simply describing a similar outcome of an attack in which someone profited
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    If this rumour regarding Nomi is true, I wonder if they'll modify this to simply "Ian Fleming's James Bond"?

skyfall-movie-screencaps.com-1504.jpg?zoom=1.25&strip=all
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't think they have to change it. James Bond is still known as 007 by everyone, just because he doesn't have the name in this particular film, doesn't mean people don't see the character as 007.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,400
    antovolk wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    Are we going to end up with a series of 007 films and a separate series of Bond films after this?

I think what they could do is use it as a springboard for a spin-off film/s or - more likely/better - a TV/streaming series with Lynch as Nomi. Particularly after the inevitable reboot/new Bond that B26 will bring, they can still follow on with the Craig universe/timeline. Nomi carrying on the 'Bond legacy' so to say, a bit like John Blake/Robin in Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises (though Nolan didn't want this to be followed up on at all), is certainly a better starting point for a spin-off than Jinx.

I really think this is a good idea! I could imagine something on Netflix akin to a 'Bond movie' but long-form over 6 to 8 hours. You can even bring back Ralph Fiennes, Ben Whishaw, Naomie Harris in extended roles.

This would be so cool!!!

With that, I don’t think she was implying that it was LeChiffe that worked with Al-Queda, she was simply describing a similar outcome of an attack in which someone profited

I kinda think it's fascinating though. The suggestion that these acts are not ideologically driven but ran by men like Mr White and Le Chiffre (who essentially look like Swiss corporate bankers). It feeds into the conspiracy theories that these acts have broader context and the actual 'terrorists' are merely the morons hired by a much higher power to sanction particular atrocious acts for financial gain.
    If this rumour regarding Nomi is true, I wonder if they'll modify this to simply "Ian Fleming's James Bond"?

skyfall-movie-screencaps.com-1504.jpg?zoom=1.25&strip=all

Pretty much

They can win if they ignore fans and their silly wishes and simply aim to make the best film possible even if it's completely untraditional.

@PanchitoPistoles How much is it something else then and not Bond might as well call it something else.
    I wonder if this film will follow current trends and save Kleinman's title sequence for the end of the film?
    The entire movie could be the PTS! Longest PTS in the series at 145 minutes or whatever.

I think the credits will read " Daniel Craig as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in............"
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,677
    One thing that these films and forums have taught me is that fans of whatever want very different things. They have different visions on whatever, and different feelings about it. But it's not impossible to discern what worked in 1953 and what still works in 2019, the glamour, the man who represents the past being at odds with the ominous future. All of that should not be lost. IMO, if Bond does indeed get to be made for tv, they should do it as a straight up adaptation of the novels. And leave the cinematic experience for the Bond we know from the films.

Spin offs of characters, and gender or racial modifications to the main man himself will be the end of it.

I know we live in times where we validate everything and value nothing. But doing this to something I love this much will be a blow beyond repair. For me, that is. And, I venture, for many.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I was closely associated with my job role for many years, my employer gave me it.
    My real name was separate, my parents gave me it.
    When I left my job I kept my name.
    My job title went to someone else. (Shock, horror, it was given to a woman!!! Oh no, oh wait it didn't matter one little bit)
    That's what happens when someone leaves a role, they are succeeded. If Bond was real (and to me he is as good as) his number would be a assigned to another.
    To the doom mongers and critics just chill. Enjoy the fact we have a new Bond in production and judge the finished product next April. Think of your blood pressure.
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    edited July 2019 Posts: 138
    To end ( i am a dreamer !) all this polemic about black female 007 maybe that's exactly the point: to prove that 007 IS James Bond because you don't have to be Nostradamus to guess that he will surely get his code number back at the end and it will symbolically prove that a/ Bond is not black b/not a female .

cwl007 wrote: »
    I was closely associated with my job role for many years, my employer gave me it.
    My job title went to someone else. (Shock, horror, it was given to a woman!!! Oh no, oh wait it didn't matter one little bit)
    That's what happens when someone leaves a role, they are succeeded. If Bond was real (and to me he is as good as) his number would be a assigned to another.
    To the doom mongers and critics just chill. Enjoy the fact we have a new Bond in production and judge the finished product next April. Think of your blood pressure.

I agree with this.

I was referring to the spin off stuff, and to changes made directly to the character of James Albus Bond, not to his moniker while at the ministry of executions.

;)
    Univex wrote: »
    One thing that these films and forums have taught me is that fans of whatever want very different things. They have different visions on whatever, and different feelings about it. But it's not impossible to discern what worked in 1953 and what still works in 2019, the glamour, the man who represents the past being at odds with the ominous future. All of that should not be lost. IMO, if Bond does indeed get to be made for tv, they should do it as a straight up adaptation of the novels. And leave the cinematic experience for the Bond we know from the films.

Spin offs of characters, and gender or racial modifications to the main man himself will be the end of it.

I know we live in times where we validate everything and value nothing. But doing this to something I love this much will be a blow beyond repair. For me, that is. And, I venture, for many.

+1

This is different he is a fictional character.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    This is different he is a fictional character.
    Exactly so you should also be able to give a little leeway to the storytelling :)
    Rodrigo Perez: Phoebe Waller Bridge responsible for female '007'
    https://theplaylist.net/bond-25-lashana-lynch-new-007-20190714/
    giphy.gif

Perez is the guy who broke the scoop concerning Burns and Waltz. On the 'Words Are Not Enough' podcast back in April, Perez says very clearly that he knows the entire plot of Bond 25.

However in his recent article for The Playlist (linked), he seems surprised by the development and says that it was not a contribution made by Burns. therefore, insinuating that it was Phoebe Waller Bridge behind the decision.

This just makes me love the idea even more.
    The last four Bond films have been much more Fleming-friendly than the previous four. They're not about to throw that all out the window. This film will be about James Bond, 007, albeit with a quirky twist on the number at the start.

No worries here!
    This just makes me love the idea even more.

Why? Because it will be well executed? If so, I can understand.

But don't go around saying its because a woman thought about it and not a strong white male ;) lol, just messing with ya.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    And they say Bond isn't relevant, this headline has got everyone talking. I bet the marketing people behind Bond are fuming with the latest development haha

As for Ms Lynch being 007, ahh I could do without this half-baked gimmick. Nothing against Lashana in the slightest, I don't know her movies but I'm sure she's a fine actor, with that being said, why must we go through this? Because we all know she'll be along for an act or two and it will be them sparring with how they handle the tasks of the mission differently (similar to Tomorrow Never Dies) and it will be yet another Daniel Craig movie were he has to prove himself. Which doesn't excite me along with the aspect of more humour in this one, I hope that's wide of the mark. With Blofled, other cast members returning, all the locations in this film, and supposedly being Daniel's last, there is a lot to cram into this one without having this shoehorned in.
    Well predicted by the way @talos7 I think that's why they're doing this for that cheap gag.

In all this I feel a bit sorry for Lashana, in a somewhat weird way, because the pressure is on her. She has half the audience excited about a female 007 and the other half of purists almost willing her not to be 007 and then wishing her to give up the title. Feels like a corner the writers may have needlessly backed themselves into. He can't end the film and not be 007 surely? And her giving back the title would be somewhat odd?
    I can't speak for anyone else but going into this film, I don't care much about Nomi's character development, in fact I don't have much interest in her character at all going in.

I'm all for shaking up the formula, but something things should be sacred, Bond's drink, the introduction and his world famous code number.
    It's been a long time since I seen the original Lara Croft but I don't remember Daniel having a ponytail and two guns trying to steal Angelina Jolie's thunder...

I'd rather see them utilise Naomi Harris more because she's a fantastic actor, absolutely stunning and lights up the screen. Plus she has a great chemistry with Daniel. I don't know what it would take for James Bond to have a solo adventure, just him and his wits.

With all this being said ( mostly rambling in truth) I'm not going to worry too much until we see the movie, because what doesn't excite me on paper could be brilliant in practise.
    Daniel is looking great by the way I seen him at the F1 on telly today. He looks better now than he did during Spectre.