Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Dr. No
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I don't know, I find these two so good, I'm unable to choose.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Tough choice but I'm going for OHMSS
    OHMSS Better villian, better action, imo just a better Bond film.

With DN, Connery is great and there are some great scenes but I find alot of it boring when you compare it to the other 60s films.
  • Dr.No, easily.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Samuel001 wrote:

Just choose dammit, you always say that ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I haven't seen the films in a long time. I need to rewatch them first and then I'll choose.

But without having done so, it really is too close to call.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I haven't seen the films in a long time. I need to rewatch them first and then I'll choose.

So when are you planning on breaking the ice? I admire your will to hold out so long without watching them.

JBFan626 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

So when are you planning on breaking the ice? I admire your will to hold out so long without watching them.

June.

It will have been four years then. Last watched them in June 2008.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Is it going to be a full Bondathon? All 22 until October?
    OHMSS
    OHMSS
    OHMSS wins.

List of ratings.
    OHMSS - 3
    DN - 8
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    11-7 in favor of OHMSS. I honestly don't think OHMSS has ever lost a round. It might be the overall most popular Bond film amongst the MI6 community.
    No, it got its arse kicked by FRWL, naturally! :)
    JBFan626 wrote:

Sod that! It's all 22, one per day. I need to see them and can't wait any longer. If need be I'll wait two days between films to soak them up again.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:

Sod that! It's all 22, one per day. I need to see them and can't wait any longer. If need be I'll wait two days between films to soak them up again.

Wow, sounds like fun. I often like to re-watch them, especially after watching the special features.

...Don't think I weighed in on the current round:

While DN is a strong contendor, it's just no match for the epic glory that is <b>OHMSS</B>

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    22-15, OHMSS is winning.
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service

This was a tough one!
  • DB5DB5

This was a tough one![/quote]

Couldn't ahve said it better myself. Both excellent films. By a whisker I'll give it to Dr. No, if for no other reason than it's Connery as Bond.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    OHMSS, the quintessential Bond film.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Dr No
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    24-17, still in OHMSS's favor.
    This was a very difficult decision but I'll have to go with Dr. No on this one. I picked it over OHMSS because it is a more quintessential Bond film. It's the very first one, it has Sean in it, it has a great villian, it has a pretty standard Bondish flow to the plot, it has the most original soundtrack of them all, and it has Ursula Andrus. While OHMSS may have had Blofeld and Tracy, it also has Bond getting married, whish is uncouth for Bond films, and it has "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown" which is one of those songs that makes you want to kill yourself when it gets stuck in your head. I'm not saying that I didn't like Bond getting married because I do like that eliment of the plot. It offers up the first real deep insight into Bond's charectorthe in any of the movies. However, for someone just getting to know Bond for the first time should probably watch Dr. No first, because it covers all the Bond bases, and doesn't stick out in any odd ways like OHMSS does at times.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    All valid points @sirsean but one of the very few criticisms I have about DN is that it feels like a prototype of what's to come. Watching it you can see that the budget is far more restricted. They couldn't even afford the crabs they were going to use to drown Honey Ryder at the end.

Majesty's on the other hand not only has a story that genuinely tugs at the heartstrings but also looks like they went all out with regard to spectacle.

Incidently I'm not sure if this has been done already but if not can I suggest

Dr No vs The Living Daylights

for a future round?
    All right, it looks like most of the voting is done on this one, so as much as it pains me to say this, On Her Majesty's Secret Service is our winner.....again. 8-| Anyway, on previous request from @DoubleOhhSeven, here's the next round:

For Your Eyes Only vs. Octopussy

Let the voting commence!
    Both would be considered more serious RM entries. Despite a few minor silly moments (which doesn't include the clown costume btw - a genuinely tense scene), OP is an outstanding Bond film and gets my vote. More entertaining than FYEO which although decent, is a little slow in parts.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I'd go for Octopussy

FYEO is good but suffers from a slightly bland feel. It's hard to put my finger on it exactly but there's just a bit more...life and sense of adventure to OP (IMO). Glenn seems a bit more comfortable in the directors chair too as the scale of the film feels bigger
    Octopussy
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I've read OP being derided as the "artistic slip in quality" after the "brilliant FYEO" but for me I've always found OP a decided improvement upon its immediate predecessor. John Barry is back for one. It has more humor than FYEO but with Sir Rog in the lead that's a plus in my book. Maud Adams makes a far more believable romantic interest for Moore than Carole Bouquet did. Most importantly, the villains and their scheme are a lot stronger and more suspenseful in OP.

OP solidly gets my vote this round.
    For your eyes only