Would this Bond film have improved with another actor from the time ? : Quantum of Solace

1234568»

Comments

I think Craig could have handled the emotional scenes well in TWINE. I consider TWINE to be similar to the Craig era with more emotional depth and M being heavily involved in the plot. Dalton would be my second choice.
    This is a tough one now,anyone brave enough to say another 007 could improve .......GOLDFINGER ?
    Wouldn't know if the film would be better, but it would've been interesting to see Roger Moore charm his way through GF. It's such a laid back Bond film in general, so he wouldn't be out of place in any of the scenes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sean Connery is the perfect Bond in GF. I don t see how anyone could have done better.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,333
    thedove wrote: »
    I believe the point of this thread is to pick from the actors who have already played Bond. Not pick an actor who we think could have been Bond.
    That might have been @barryt007's original intention, but it doesn't work unless you involve time travel. If it were to involve a Tardis of some sort then I'd say a 34-year-old Connery every single time.

As for GF, only Connery could've made this a global box office hit. There are no alternatives.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I believe the point of this thread is to pick from the actors who have already played Bond. Not pick an actor who we think could have been Bond.
    That might have been @barryt007's original intention, but it doesn't work unless you involve time travel. If it were to involve a Tardis of some sort then I'd say a 34-year-old Connery every single time.

As for GF, only Connery could've made this a global box office hit. There are no alternatives.

Actually I was thinking of expanding this to be any actor at the time rather than just any of the 007's,so I think I will do that now and change the title .
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    If there's one film i couldn't imagine any other actor as James Bond, it's Goldfinger.

Connery was untouchable in it (no pun intended!)
    barryt007 wrote: »

Actually I was thinking of expanding this to be any actor at the time rather than just any of the 007's,so I think I will do that now and change the title .
    Thanks for clearing that up @barryt007. That's what I thought you meant which was why I have been suggesting actors that could've feasibly been in those movies.

Thanks for clearing that up @barryt007. That's what I thought you meant which was why I have been suggesting actors that could've feasibly been in those movies.

My pleasure old chum.
    It will widen the choice and provide more discussion I think.
    Sean Connery was the golden choice for Goldfinger, nobody does it better.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Connery in Goldfinger can't be bettered.

Lovely sport.
    In response to the thread title - you must be joking?!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    To quote my late mother: “SEAN!...SEAN!....SEAN!”
    And, as always, her logic was impeccable.
    OK peeps.

It's time to pop into space.

MOONRAKER.
    Brosnan could have done it (sort of did with Nightfire) but I don't think it would have been significantly different either way, except for possibly the "Such good sport" line.
    Yes,Brosnan proved he could do it when he was in DAD - both OTT movies.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I don't think anyone else in the lead would have improved TWINE much. It's such a dreary film. Probably the only Bond film I actually find genuinely boring. Not Pierce's fault though.
    The script was pretty weak, after the opening sequence there is virtually no stand out action, and Apted's direction and use of locations is as pedestrian as we have ever seen in Bond.
    Time to have a think about DC's 2nd mission,folks.
  • RC7RC7
    Time to have a think about DC's 2nd mission,folks.

DC is as good as you’re going to get in it. No actor could push it beyond average.
  • I hate the film but Craig is the best thing about it and it is well suited to his Bond. Can't imagine anyone else doing a better job.

If I had to pick someone else then Idris Elba. He would have made a great Bond before he got too old to realistically take over and the media ran the idea into the ground, and I think QoS would suit him. He's got the acting chops to pull off the mopey stuff and the physicality to pull off the brutal early Craig era fight scenes.
  • There is absolutely no one who could do what QoS does tonally/thematically better than Craig, and I say that as somewhat less of a fan of the film than much of this forum. I don't think it's his best performance in the role, but it is certainly absolutely correct for the movie.
    I hate the film but Craig is the best thing about it and it is well suited to his Bond. Can't imagine anyone else doing a better job.

I agree but some decent editing might have made this a better movie than what we ended up with.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Peoples issues with QOS aside and I prefer it a good bit than a lot of the series and it sits inside my top 10.

No other actor would have done better with this than DC period, Dalton forget it.

Craig opening the boot of the Aston and looking down at White and saying deadpan "Time to get out" just love it.

Those moments after the PTS when M talks to Bond about Vesper and her supposed dead boyfriend are just brilliant.

Craig is a phenomenal actor and QOS has some of his finest moments of the era.

I'm certainly going to miss him when he is gone.