Would this Bond film have improved with another actor from the time ? : Quantum of Solace

Comments

• edited March 2019 Posts: 19,339
    OK ....that was an interesting discussion on OHMSS.....now onto TND.

Any other Bond you think could have made this better,or is more suited to ?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited March 2019 Posts: 3,985
    I think Brosnan really hit his stride as Bond in TND. He's confident in this and is more physically imposing than he was in GE. Probably my favourite of his Bond performances. So the film was perfect for Brosnan.

The only minus is that he just doesn't suit the Naval uniform.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Better villain, better second Bondgirl (as Hatcher is an awful actress to begin with).

Less over the top gadgets as well, I mean that BMW that's unbreakable?

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    I think Brosnan really hit his stride as Bond in TND. He's confident in this and is more physically imposing than he was in GE. Probably my favourite of his Bond performances. So the film was perfect for Brosnan.

It's funny because... Imho he got much better near the end of his run. (TWINE-GE-TND-DAD is my ranking).

I wouldn't have mind seeing him in a CR-style final outing.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

It's funny because... Imho he got much better near the end of his run. (TWINE-GE-TND-DAD is my ranking).

I'd still like to see him as an ageing over the hill Bond in a spin off film similar to what Hugh Jackman did in Logan

But we all know EON are far too stingy and unimaginative to contemplate anything so radical.

I'd still like to see him as an ageing over the hill Bond in a spin off film similar to what Hugh Jackman did in Logan

But we all know EON are far too stingy and unimaginative to contemplate anything so radical.

I would prefer to see that with Dalton, who would carry it off more convincingly!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TND is the best Bond film with the best Bond. I wouldn’t change a damn thing.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I would prefer to see that with Dalton, who would carry it off more convincingly!

I agree mate but Brosnan was the topic. Dalton would be awesome as an older Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I honestly think that Brosnan played his Bond the best in TND. He made his performance look effortless in this one (which is something I can't say about his others, although DAD would be an uneven runner-up); I certainly couldn't see our first three Bond's playing in TND, and I think Dalton would have been far too serious in it.

I think Craig would be fine'ish, although I don't want him to ever drive a BMW, nor one by remote control.

No, TND is PB at his best, and he thrived in it-- with ease and charm.

(and I'm not PB's biggest fan)

Your favorite Bond film, isn't it? I love the fact someone feels that way. TND is fantastic entertainment. We desperately need another film in the same style.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Your favorite Bond film, isn't it? I love the fact someone feels that way. TND is fantastic entertainment. We desperately need another film in the same style.

Hear hear to that ,and with another Arnold score ,which is awesome throughout!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Yes it is! Not many people have it as their favorite. I don’t really look at that as a slight to TND though. I think it just gets overshadowed by its predecessor GE, which was an event in Bond history.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    If we're discounting age...

I could see Moore in TND. He would have played well opposite Pryce. Not sure about Hatcher, though.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Hear hear to that ,and with another Arnold score ,which is awesome throughout!
    Agreed.

Yes it is! Not many people have it as their favorite. I don’t really look at that as a slight to TND though. I think it just gets overshadowed by its predecessor GE, which was an event in Bond history.
    I do feel it is underrated, though. Brosnan and Pryce are great together, as is the score, the action, the henchman and Michelle Yeoh. The film is fast-paced, entertaining, and funny in the right dose.
    I suppose it all depends on which actor could’ve played 007 in TND. Clive Owen? Probably not suitable for this lightweight movie, but he’d have been much better in TWINE than Brosnan IMHO.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Presumably, if we are discounting age, Connery or Moore would have been perfectly good in TND.The problem is I think its a very 'Brosnan' Bond film, and tailored to suit him.
    I think one of Brosnan's strengths is the way he carried some of his films, always giving it his all no matter how bad the material is, keeping the film together and managing to make the jarring tonal shifts somehow feel sort of consistent in a way no other Bond actor has had to or maybe even could do.

TND is more generic, so I think it could have worked with some of the others. But I still don't think it would have worked as well for those reasons. Could any other Bond have mourned Paris one minute and been having a blast in his remote controlled beemer the next? He's so cool, charismatic and committed that you just go along for the ride. Moore could have managed that but then Moore wouldn't have done all the colder moments in the film as well as Brosnan.

TND isn't quite on the level of DAD, which I honestly think would have been ten times worse than it already is if it wasn't for Brosnan and absoloutely would not have worked with any other Bond actor. It could have worked with one of the others. But I don't think it'd work as well as it does with Brosnan.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The only serious problem with that film is the third act. Brosnan and Pryce are excellent, the filmmakers seemed to forget how to write them later in the picture.

I agree. The first half might not be the most original but I find it pretty hard to fault personally. If it didn't go downhill so dramatically after the HALO jump it'd be one of my favourites.
    Could any other Bond have mourned Paris one minute and been having a blast in his remote controlled beemer the next? He's so cool, charismatic and committed that you just go along for the ride. Moore could have managed that but then Moore wouldn't have done all the colder moments in the film as well as Brosnan.

I agree. This film is best suited to Brosnan.
    TND very much needs a "nineties cool" actor to carry it, and Brosnan has that in spades.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,333
    It stands to reason that the second movie of an actor’s tenure would or should be more tailored to suit the actor, but it didn’t really work out that way with Moore, Dalton and to some small degree the same could be said of Brosnan’s TND.

The lighthearted car chase, whilst fun, seems at odds with the death of Paris scene that proceeds it. It’s quite jarring when you think about it. I thought that the death of Aki in YOLT and what follows was handled much better. I think this has to do with the actor and his performance style. Would Connery have played it like a kid in a toy shop using Q’s gadgets in the BMW? No, I believe he would’ve showed more restraint, which was what the scene really called for from him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondsum wrote: »
    It stands to reason that the second movie of an actor’s tenure would or should be more tailored to suit the actor, but it didn’t really work out that way with Moore, Dalton and to some small degree the same could be said of Brosnan’s TND.

The lighthearted car chase, whilst fun, seems at odds with the death of Paris scene that proceeds it. It’s quite jarring when you think about it. I thought that the death of Aki in YOLT and what follows was handled much better. I think this has to do with the actor and his performance style. Would Connery have played it like a kid in a toy shop using Q’s gadgets in the BMW? No, I believe he would’ve showed more restraint, which was what the scene really called for from him.

And to top it off, if he wasn t dislikable enough already, he steers the car down on the street risking the lives of women and children with real glee on his face. Maybe the perfect example why Bond is an a-hole. The director is probably the one to blame the most.
    I haven’t read the script @Thunderfinger. Does it ask Bond to act this way? If so, it therefore could be the script. Maybe certain scenes are missing in between? I know it’s believed that the director should be there to motivate and cajole a performance out of them, but the majority don’t direct this way when handling an A-list actor. They’re meant to be professionals and know what’s expected of them. I believe it might have been shot that way to make a better trailer or an isolated clip. It just doesn’t work particularly well in relation to Paris’ death.
    I know there is a cut scene where Bond goes down into the Avis store or around it afterwards .
    Wasn’t that a shot of the crashed car through the window of an Avis shop?
    I think he goes there into the crowd and says a quip but I can’t recall for sure where I heard about it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Doesn't Bond say something about the keys?
    TND is the perfect fit for Pierce. I can’t imagine anyone else in that role. My favourite bit from the movie is when he’s in the back of the BMW on his phone and laughing to himself as he drives the car. I really want the series to go back to letting Bond have fun in his job.

Aah that rings a bell x I think he says something about returning the car and the keys,nice one Major !
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2019 Posts: 13,882

Aah that rings a bell x I think he says something about returning the car and the keys,nice one Major !

Yeah, it's the keys. Jump to 8:52...

• edited March 2019 Posts: 19,339

Yeah, it's the keys. Jump to 8:52...

That’s it !
    Proves I wasn’t going senile haha
    I love the interview with Spottiswoode, all those deleted scenes .
    The one in the car,the briefing, should have stayed in the film I think,it is so much more fleshed out and not rushed.
    Carvers background history is important I think.

Also Gupta throwing the playing card that cuts into the wall is brilliant!