Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm sure MajorDSmythe would approve:

Deadlier_Than_the_Male_Half_Sheet_US.jpg

I showed it to a friend of mine who's also a 007 fan but hadn't seen this one yet. He quite enjoyed it. It's far and away the best of the 1960s Bond movie spinoffs and equal in quality to many mid-range Bond series entries. I give it *** out of ****.

Oh yes. =D> Have you seen Some Girls Do yet, PKK?

Not yet, Major. It's not available on DVD in my region. We did look up the trailer for it online after we watched DTTM.

Have you seen this film, Major?

Bulldog-Drummond-1929.jpg

Someone's uploaded it on youtube:

Being an early talkie, it's a little creaky but fun. Ronald Colman plays Bulldog Drummond, Montagu Love plays Carl Peterson and Lilyan Tashman plays Irma, all 3 characters who appeared later in DTTM.

The only Drummond films i've seen are the two Johnson ones.

I hope you don't mind me asking PKK, but if not R2, what region do you fall under? On R2, both films come in a double pack, with each film having a smattering of extras. The best ones are interviews with Johnson & Sommer. The interview style is a bit dated now (it was 1966 afterall), but as a fan of both interviewees, they worth watching.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Watchmen

watchmen-2009.jpg

As a fan of both the graphic novel and Snyder's film aesthetics, I hold this film in high esteem. Fourth time I've watched it now, and it still amazes me to this day.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Watchmen

watchmen-2009.jpg

As a fan of both the graphic novel and Snyder's film aesthetics, I hold this film in high esteem. Fourth time I've watched it now, and it still amazes me to this day.

Hell yeah @Dimi. Watchmen is my Bible, and I need to read it again soon, make it a yearly tradition. As far as the film went,
    Jackie was an exceptional Rorschach, and makes him the amazing character that he is in the graphic novels, and one of the best characters ever created. I hate Malin Akerman, and she sinks her role as Laurie/Silk Spectre. Other than that I love how it was adapted after so many years and scripts attempting it. I also like the film's ending better than the graphic novel ending. Seeing Dan react to Rorschach's death is chilling and missing from the graphic novel, and something I always wanted to see. Overall, a solid effort, and one of the best endings in comics, setting Rorschach up as a martyr who's journal entries and true story of what happened with Veidt will spread.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Death Race 2000, a 70's B-Movie masterpiece. Starring David Carradine as Frankenstein and Sylvester Stallone as Machine Gun Joe Viterbo. It's a fact cars fast death extravaganza. Stallone is so funny in this movie, I thought I was going to need new lungs.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I'm sure MajorDSmythe would approve:

Deadlier_Than_the_Male_Half_Sheet_US.jpg

I showed it to a friend of mine who's also a 007 fan but hadn't seen this one yet. He quite enjoyed it. It's far and away the best of the 1960s Bond movie spinoffs and equal in quality to many mid-range Bond series entries. I give it *** out of ****.

Oh yes. =D> Have you seen Some Girls Do yet, PKK?

Not yet, Major. It's not available on DVD in my region. We did look up the trailer for it online after we watched DTTM.

Have you seen this film, Major?

Bulldog-Drummond-1929.jpg

Someone's uploaded it on youtube:

Being an early talkie, it's a little creaky but fun. Ronald Colman plays Bulldog Drummond, Montagu Love plays Carl Peterson and Lilyan Tashman plays Irma, all 3 characters who appeared later in DTTM.

The only Drummond films i've seen are the two Johnson ones.

I hope you don't mind me asking PKK, but if not R2, what region do you fall under? On R2, both films come in a double pack, with each film having a smattering of extras. The best ones are interviews with Johnson & Sommer. The interview style is a bit dated now (it was 1966 afterall), but as a fan of both interviewees, they worth watching.

Sounds fun. I'm in Region 1.
  • Just watched Avengers - which was huge fun and really good. Hulk stole the film as did Scarjo's chest corrrrrrr.

Then watched Terminator Salvation on the box and that was great, loved it. I don't know why it was slated. Loved it.

Next up is Hunger Games and the Scott boy's new film can't wait for that one.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I'm seeing Avengers tommorow, it looks good and I've heard alot of good stuff about it.

Anyway, last one I watched was V for Vendetta you can probably tell from my avatar that I'm a fan of the film. Some parts are a bit boring and I wish they'd done more with the whole "is he a hero or a nutjob?" theme from the comic, but it's still has a great story and great action, one of my favourite films of all time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm seeing Avengers tommorow, it looks good and I've heard alot of good stuff about it.

Anyway, last one I watched was V for Vendetta you can probably tell from my avatar that I'm a fan of the film. Some parts are a bit boring and I wish they'd done more with the whole "is he a hero or a nutjob?" theme from the comic, but it's still has a great story and great action, one of my favourite films of all time.

Fantastic film, and so quotable. I'm ashamed to say the graphic novel has adorned my bookshelf for almost two years and I have yet to pick it up.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,350
    The Avengers

Do yourself a favour and see this film, it's fantastic. There's nothing else to say as so many got in before me.
    b70-9912
    More, and more Bogie! Another brilliant film, and one that carries a great lesson along with it. The acting is solid and unrelenting, and Humphrey nails the slow progression into paranoia. The supporting cast is great, with the director, John Huston's own father playing one of the main supporting roles. I recommend this and any Bogie film, and you don't need to have any stinkin' badges. ;)
  • ^ that looks cracking, I've watched it but don't own it. I'll DL now. Thanks for reminding me, I feel like a Bogie season coming on.
    Saw Avenger and OMFG it was glorious! Best film this year easily!
    until Dark Knight Rises ofc
    ^ that looks cracking, I've watched it but don't own it. I'll DL now. Thanks for reminding me, I feel like a Bogie season coming on.
    Every season is Bogie season my good man, and what a great man to watch, a true legend of his craft he was. I have some recommendations for some of his films:

Casablanca
    The Big Sleep
    The Maltese Falcon
    In A Lonely Place

You can't beat Casablanca for a lesson in sacrifice for the ones you love in the face of danger and it truly deserves its classic status. "As Time Goes By" was one of my favorite songs before watching this, and the film made it really special for me, like it was for Rick and Ilsa. The best romance of all time and what dialogue. You feel Rick's pain like a rock to the head. After watching it I just want to say all over again, "play it Sam!". The Big Sleep is a bit complex, and by a bit I mean a lot. There are a lot of faces and strands of two mysteries to follow, and it is at times hard to transition between the two. The Maltese Falcon is great as well, and is like The Big Sleep but the mystery isn't so drawn out and the characters are more balanced with it. Sam Spade is much more edgy than Bogart's Philip Marlowe, who is more of a pure white man in a world of the blacks and grays. Sam does a few really surprising things that you don't see coming and raise the 'ol eyebrows the first time you see it. It also carries a great lesson, because you see the ruined hopes and dreams that all these people put on this statue, even Sam himself, and that is where the real magic in the films is, and amounts to one of the best endings in film. In A Lonely Place is a thrilling film, and has Bogie on the edge as a hard drinking screenwriter accused of murder, and the paranoia is played so well by those around him that he may be the killer. Bogie shows his magic as a tormented man, and this is yet another film that teaches you a very valuable lesson. I hope my recommendations help @forgotmyusername. There is no better actor to watch in a marathon. Every film has a lesson attached to it, and Humphrey was just so spectacular, a true legend who earns his status as the best male actor. Enjoy the Bogie season, I know I'm loving mine! :-bd
    The Avengers. It's already been said, but this was actually really good. The Hulk is better in this one than his past 2 films, Johanson is hot as always, really enjoyable action. Batman actually has some competition this year...
    The Avengers. It's already been said, but this was actually really good. The Hulk is better in this one than his past 2 films, Johanson is hot as always, really enjoyable action. Batman actually has some competition this year...
    Was the film more hokey pokey? I feel like The Avengers is in their pajamas while TDKR is a serious film going out to eradicate an unruly horde with a shottie in one hand an a broken bottle in the other.
    immortals. average movie though think Henry Cavil will make a good last son of krypon.
  • quanton of solace 007
    ENRNST_CAT wrote:
    quanton of solace 007

This is non-Bond. You can put QoS and your fresh review of it here:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/80/last-bond-movie-you-watched/p27#Item_791
    Was the film more hokey pokey? I feel like The Avengers is in their pajamas while TDKR is a serious film going out to eradicate an unruly horde with a shottie in one hand an a broken bottle in the other.

I'm expecting TDKR to be better since this wasn't as good as the last 2 Batman films, but the Avengers was much, much better as I thought it would be. There's alot of CGI (especially in the final battle), but the actors do a good job and it ends up as an enjoyable action film.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 2,782
    ^

Oy my god you spoilt it man...there's a final battle and CGI?!!!!!!

Just watched Bogie finding treasure...truly awesome.
    ^

Oy my god you spoilt it man...there's a final battle and CGI?!!!!!!

Just watched Bogie finding treasure...truly awesome.
    What, Lauren Bacall? ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    532235.1020.A.jpg

Sinatra, nuff said.

This was a good action adventure / disaster movie hybrid, with some good volcano action.

Frank Sinatra
    1. Ocean's Eleven (1960)
    2. The First Deadly Sin (1980)
    3. Von Ryan's Express (1965)
    4. The Naked Runner (1967)
    5. Pal Joey (1957)
    6. The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
    7. The Man With The Golden Arm (1955)
    **8. The Devil At 4 O' Clock (1961) NE**
    9. The Detective (1968)
    10. Assault On A Queen (1966)
    11. Lady In Cement (1968)
    12. Suddenly (1954)
    13. Come Blow Your Horn (1963)
    14. Tony Rome (1967)
    15. The Tender Trap (1955)
    16. Robin And The 7 Hoods (1964)
    17. Marriage On The Rocks (1965)
    ^
    I can't wait to dip into Frank's films. I adore his music, so I am sure I will love his films just the same. Hellofa guy.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @0Brady how old are you, if I may ask ?
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,894
    @0Brady, i'm the same, I love his music and his films. The man was a true entertainer. What's stopping you, get buying. :)
    @0Brady how old are you, if I may ask ?

18. I just have a very, very, very old soul, and am proud of it. Give me Sinatra and Bogie, as well as the great actors and actresses and films of the 40s, 50s, and 60s and I'll be a happy guy. >:D<
    @0Brady, i'm the same, I love his music and his films. The man was a true entertainer. What's stopping you, get buying. :)

I am currently getting into Bogie's catalogue, but I found a lot of Sinatra's films on YouTube and am waiting to get into them. One at a time, but it is a mission I humbly accept. :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The Avengers...for the 5th time yesterday. As someone who grew up reading Marvel comics, this was a massive wet dream for me. Oh and Thanos!! The sequel will be epic.
    I really enjoyed Pierce Brosnan and actress Rene Russo in THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR.

WELL DONE ! !
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    The%20Pink%20Panther%20Strikes%20Again.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 40,480
    Picked up Martha Marcy May Marlene from Redbox yesterday evening, and I'm going to give it a watch when I get the chance tonight. I've only heard good things thus far, and you can't really beat anything that has John Hawkes in it.
    Bond_Ed wrote:
    I really enjoyed Pierce Brosnan and actress Rene Russo in THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR.

WELL DONE ! !

The Thomas Crown Affair is one of my favorite non-Bond films from Brosnan. If you enjoyed how he was in that, check out The Tailor of Panama, with Geoffrey Rush and Jamie Lee Curtis. He's much more raunchier and suave in that film.