Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I say don't let it get you down and go ahead and watch the film. It was one stunning, beautiful film from beginning to end, I loved it. I rented it, not sure what to expect, and ended up having to buy it the next day because it blew me away.
    I'm not worried about the film, more about the novel. I have heard so many readers say that the book changed the way they look at life, so I really want to get into it sometime in the future. It's a massive undertaking, but it is Hugo after all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's really hard to avoid spoilers anymore. The only real way is to watch/play something immediately, or stay off the grid: no phones, Internet, nothing. It sucks.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's really hard to avoid spoilers anymore. The only real way is to watch/play something immediately, or stay off the grid: no phones, Internet, nothing. It sucks.

Which is impossible for a graphic artist/writer/college student like me. I also got Breaking Bad spoiled for me recently, so that's another thing I was looking forward to that I have no ambition for at the moment. I don't even care that much if I'm spoiled by something in a video's comments section or in an article about a game/film/book I read, because that was my choice to look at those things, but when something is spoiled randomly on a webpage (in BB's case, Yahoo) with pictures of characters that die and the title of "Shocking Character Deaths" in big letters next to it or article titles that openly spoil movie twists, character deaths, and other things like that, it's unavoidable and frankly unfair. And when people hear me say these things sometimes they'll try to get a rise out of it and spoil something for me, just for the fun of it, though they fail to realize how much I want to sock them in the mug for it. I take this stuff very seriously, as it shows a severe lack of respect to ruin a film/TV show/book for someone.
    You, too, with BB and Yahoo? Same thing happened to me: boom, first page of articles, first article, absolutely no spoiler alert or vague header image, it was right there. I was on the final season, too. They also had an article that was the first one shown a few weeks ago about "Shocking character deaths in TV this year!" (which is probably what you're talking about) and it just shows off two right in the header image. You couldn't go with a huge question mark? Even the info below the image gave it away! Yet they have other articles where they say 'Warning: Spoilers Ahead' and don't allude to anything in the image or preceding text. If I didn't have most of my e-mails sent via Yahoo, I'd never use the site again.

Then in the case of BB, I complained in the comments, and got flamed for being a dumbass, an idiot, I "shouldn't have fell behind and missed the episodes and it's my fault." It's not like I was actively seeking spoilers, it just threw it in my face when I went to check my e-mail. Impossible to miss. The writers at Yahoo should all be fired, not even just for their lack of caring when it comes to spelling, but how idiotic and stupid they are. Have you read any articles on Yahoo? They are filled with horrible grammar mistakes, spelling issues, etc.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    You, too, with BB and Yahoo? Same thing happened to me: boom, first page of articles, first article, absolutely no spoiler alert or vague header image, it was right there. I was on the final season, too. They also had an article that was the first one shown a few weeks ago about "Shocking character deaths in TV this year!" (which is probably what you're talking about) and it just shows off two right in the header image. You couldn't go with a huge question mark? Even the info below the image gave it away! Yet they have other articles where they say 'Warning: Spoilers Ahead' and don't allude to anything in the image or preceding text. If I didn't have most of my e-mails sent via Yahoo, I'd never use the site again.

Then in the case of BB, I complained in the comments, and got flamed for being a dumbass, an idiot, I "shouldn't have fell behind and missed the episodes and it's my fault." It's not like I was actively seeking spoilers, it just threw it in my face when I went to check my e-mail. Impossible to miss. The writers at Yahoo should all be fired, not even just for their lack of caring when it comes to spelling, but how idiotic and stupid they are. Have you read any articles on Yahoo? They are filled with horrible grammar mistakes, spelling issues, etc.

Yes, I am more than well aware of Yahoo's shortcomings. Them, Google, YouTube; it's all become a huge mess, one after the other.
    It's a shame, most of the big sites and companies I used to be a part of have gone way downhill, including Netflix, Amazon, etc.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Am I the only one who feels pressured by some of the soon-to-be-released announcements? I know it's my own choice whether I want to see a film or not but here's the thing. I have this condition known as fanboyism. :) The next Marvel trailer, the next Star Wars related thing, the next Friday 13th or Chucky announcement, and I'm all excited. Well, Marvel have overbooked the next two years and already I have this feeling that I want to see those films today, that like a child I just can't wait. Don't even get me started on the next Bond film; the closer we get to its release, the more sleepless nights I have. Am I the only one? ;-)
    @DarthDimi, oh, absolutely not. I feel burdened by how amazing and massive 2015 is going to be. My friend was reading off some 2014 films and I just wasn't feeling terribly excited about them because of how much is releasing the following year. Hell, 2015 would be a massive year for me solely because a new Bond film is releasing, but that coupled with everything else, and I want it all now.
    Glad I'm not alone, @Creasy47. The next Bond film... it's always a big event. But this one seems to be going to be absorbed in a plethora of big releases. I think some studios will reschedule soon. 2015 is too big for all the big films they have planned.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,642
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Glad I'm not alone, @Creasy47. The next Bond film... it's always a big event. But this one seems to be going to be absorbed in a plethora of big releases. I think some studios will reschedule soon. 2015 is too big for all the big films they have planned.

All of my weekends are going to be packed with films in 2015, I'm thinking, and my wallet will take a beating. I'll end up seeing 'Bond 24' at least five times, and I'm sure my girlfriend will join me every time, so that'll be a hefty $100 I'll spend on it alone.

EDIT: Here's the trailer for 'Godzilla':

So you're like me; you pay for the girlfriend too. ;-) Tell me about the wallet taking a beating. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    So you're like me; you pay for the girlfriend too. ;-) Tell me about the wallet taking a beating. ;-)

Absolutely, it's dry as a desert when a good film releases, ;-). We have an Alamo Drafthouse here, so the tickets + dinner + a few alcoholic drinks, and I feel dirt poor. I remember surprising her with tickets to see 'Love Actually' when it played at the Alamo as a Christmas special kind of thing, and when I surprised her, she said "Oh, I thought you were taking me to see Skyfall again." I replied "And?" and she said "I wouldn't have minded at all!"

*long sigh*
    Allow me to add to that the ever efficient "I'm kinda hungry, darling." line. Why must candy and snacks cost a fortune in cinema complexes? (rhetorical question ;-))

So half a bag of candy and some coke or Red Bull, and I feel robbed. That's why I fill up the gas tank before driving to a movie. :P

That's love... :)
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Sandy, that was part of the article I linked. I think Ben's a great actor, but I really wanted to see how Sacha would've tackled it.
    For sure, but I must say I´m now even more curious how Ben´s gonna do it. I know he´s a great actor, but I find it immensely hard to picture him as Freddie. With Sacha, the image is there in my mind at a snap of the fingers.

DarthDimi wrote:
    Allow me to add to that the ever efficient "I'm kinda hungry, darling." line. Why must candy and snacks cost a fortune in cinema complexes? (rhetorical question ;-))

So half a bag of candy and some coke or Red Bull, and I feel robbed. That's why I fill up the gas tank before driving to a movie. :P

With films it´s like with girls, you have to invest thoroughly in order to get the best ;-).

By the way, that Godzilla trailer looks amazing!
    DarthDimi wrote:

Or just do what I did when we watched Gravity last week. I paid for the tickets but as for the popcorn and sweets? I think the words I used were "Get your *insert relavent expletive here* own"

Now that's love! ;-)
    @DarthDimi, I know how you feel, and this place serves tons of different food items, so I'll end up getting her fries, a milkshake, a pizza or a burger, and question who robbed me at the end of the movie, only to realize the receipt is a whopping $40 or so for food. It's ridiculous.

@boldfinger, I'm in the same boat as you. Even now when I think of the biopic, I imagine Sacha playing Freddie.
    I think I should acquaint you all with the 'Wittertainment Code of Conduct' :D

You can always count on Kermode and Mayo. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Godzilla looks good. let's hope this it's a good way to celebrate 60 years of the big guy!
    I am hoping half way through the movie Bryan Cranston says to Godzilla "you think I am in danger I am the danger"

man that would rock
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,642
    It looks like 'Bad Boys III' might end up happening:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=112333

Also, J.A. Bayona will direct the 'World War Z' sequel:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=112328
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    The very premise of Breaking Bad makes it clear that Walt will die. If it spoilt how then fair enough but the whole series was a Scarface esque rise and fall story about a chemistry teacher turned meth kingpin with cancer. It was never going to end well from him.
    The very premise of Breaking Bad makes it clear that Walt will die. If it spoilt how then fair enough but the whole series was a Scarface esque rise and fall story about a chemistry teacher turned meth kingpin with cancer. It was never going to end well from him.

I'd say stick with spoilers, for those who have yet to see it and don't want it spoiled for them. Still, it isn't obvious, no matter how the show is set up.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    biggest spoiler ever: reading the name Sean Bean on the movie poster/opening credits. you just know he will die before the end :P
    biggest spoiler ever: reading the name Sean Bean on the movie poster/opening credits. you just know he will die before the end :P

Poor guy. He can never, ever win, it seems!
    Creasy47 wrote:

Poor guy. He can never, ever win, it seems!

Except in maybe Clean-Skin which I've yet to see.
    'Cleanskin' was a fantastic movie. It's very slow-paced at times, but I loved it and thought Bean was excellent in it.

Didn't he survive in Troy? ;-)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Cleanskin' was a fantastic movie. It's very slow-paced at times, but I loved it and thought Bean was excellent in it.

First on the "to buy" List. :D