Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I've appreciated Polanski's films. It's for the law to do what they have to with him, but as far as I'm concerned I won't boycott anything he makes or films.

Exact same for me. Like I said, you’d be boycotting pretty much every movie if one crew member’s personal life got in the way for you. I don’t hero worship, but I do appreciate celebrities for their contributions to entertainment and art when they put out good stuff.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I believe art and personal life should always be kept separate. If someone supports a different political party or something but they produce good art it doesn’t matter to me. Prime example being Mel Gibson, I’m not all about racism like he seems to be but the man can direct a film like no other. So I’ll watch his films even though I don’t agree with what he says in his personal life
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I believe art and personal life should always be kept separate. If someone supports a different political party or something but they produce good art it doesn’t matter to me. Prime example being Mel Gibson, I’m not all about racism like he seems to be but the man can direct a film like no other. So I’ll watch his films even though I don’t agree with what he says in his personal life

What if Gibson is right? I think @Birdleson actually runs this site.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It appears Tom Cruise has beat out Brad Pitt for the role of Leo's stuntman in Quentin Tarantino's next film:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/918919-cruises-role-revealed-in-9th-tarantino-film-roman-polanski-character-part-of-cast
    Quite fitting really, given Tom's antics. However he doesn't really resemble DiCaprio.
    The film is set in the 70s or 80s. Back then stuntmen didn´t have to be look-alikes of the star they were doubling ;-). Just look at the two stuntmen from the TLD plane fight, or the scene on top of the gondola in Rio in MR.

• edited February 2018 Posts: 17,335
    boldfinger wrote: »
    It appears Tom Cruise has beat out Brad Pitt for the role of Leo's stuntman in Quentin Tarantino's next film:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/918919-cruises-role-revealed-in-9th-tarantino-film-roman-polanski-character-part-of-cast
    Quite fitting really, given Tom's antics. However he doesn't really resemble DiCaprio.
    The film is set in the 70s or 80s. Back then stuntmen didn´t have to be look-alikes of the star they were doubling ;-). Just look at the two stuntmen from the TLD plane fight, or the scene on top of the gondola in Rio in MR.

"Just put a wig on, and you're fine!" is about as much attention to detail stunt doubles had in old movies.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

"Just put a wig on, and you're fine!" is about as much attention to detail stunt doubles had in old movies.
    The most offending instances were in the 80's. AVTAK always comes to mind (particularly that Renault sequence). As bad as poor CGI.

Point taken about the 70's though. I'm sure Cruise is adept enough at this sort of thing that he could pull it off. In fact, it might be a new challenge for him because he's spent most of his career ensuring we know it's him doing the stunts. Now he'll have to do the opposite!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • I enjoyed Ex Machina, but from this trailer alone Annihilation looks pretty bad.

The most offending instances were in the 80's. AVTAK always comes to mind (particularly that Renault sequence). As bad as poor CGI.

Point taken about the 70's though. I'm sure Cruise is adept enough at this sort of thing that he could pull it off. In fact, it might be a new challenge for him because he's spent most of his career ensuring we know it's him doing the stunts. Now he'll have to do the opposite!

It will be fun to watch the movie just for that reason! Sort of a joke in the film, almost! Regarding wigs, I rather have the offending instances like the ones in the 80's than poor CGI, for the reason that there is usually quite a lot of money spent on computer graphics. That money should be put on screen, so to speak.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm sure this will be worth seeing in the theatre, but sadly the CGI isn't quite working for me. Oh well.

It looks to be more of a Die Hard scenario than a Towering Inferno one.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,544
    Well, surprise! Cloverfield 3 debuts on Netflix tonight. Guess I should've thrown this in the 'TV Screens' thread.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Die Hard meets Towering Inferno. Brilliant!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I'll give Cloverfield 3 a go I liked the last film.

It looks insane.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It looks insane.
    Frankly I'm surprised you liked it, Thundy. :D
    I can appreciate a good action movie.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Skyscraper resembles Die Hard
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Skyscraper looks fun.
    I remember after 9/11 , people said Die Hard would never be shown again etc etc. We seem to have gone through that phase. Dwayne seems to be filling the hole left by Sly?
    Daylight did cross my mind watching the Skyscraper trailer as well as Cliffhanger
    Watched San Andreas last week. These movies are really throw backs to the 80s style disasater movies. Sly was perfect in these and Arnie should have made more but he went in a different direction. Sly will be watching Skyscraper with mixed emotions (was there any CGI in Cliffhanger?)

Cliffhanger had alot of green screen, though CGI was in its infancy back in 93, it's one of Slys better second phase movies, John Lithgow chews the scenery.

Full trailer:

That looks mad but fun, won't be a cinema trip for me though.
    Hmm. Attempts to remake (in combo) two of the greatest films of all time is not a task for fools. I've no doubt that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is no fool, so I'm hopefully optimistic, but also a little wary.
    2ev5fyT.jpg
    I enjoyed the trailer for that one. Could be a really cool horror film. The concept is neat.