Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @noSolaceleft, I think that's why I'll end up passing on seeing this one (unless I'm at home and it's free); I already know the ending, and it doesn't look like it has much else to offer me past a rather broad, talented (some of them, anyway) cast. I love a good murder mystery, but when you already know how it ends, some of the intrigue and suspense is taken away. There are countless other Christie novels I would've enjoyed seeing them adapt.

@MajorDSmythe, it's trivial, but that mustache is even more jarring in the trailer than it was in the promo photos. It's almost distracting.
    I have to echo what has been said about this trend for ill fitting music in trailers. Also the moustache is very ott, it looks like a parody of Poirot's moustache.

Branagh as talented as he is can veer into parody, let's hope he restrains his performance more nuance less hammy. I recall a film called Dead Again 1991 set partially in the same era as Murder on the Orient Express we don't want that Branagh.
    I have to echo what has been said about this trend for ill fitting music in trailers. Also the moustache is very ott, it looks like a parody of Poirot's moustache.

Branagh as talented as he is can veer into parody, let's hope he restrains his performance more nuance less hammy. I recall a film called Dead Again 1991 set partially in the same era as Murder on the Orient Express we don't want that Branagh.

I hope we never see 'Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit' Branagh again, either. That movie was the textbook definition of generic, forgettable Hollywood fare.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe, it's trivial, but that mustache is even more jarring in the trailer than it was in the promo photos. It's almost distracting.

Maybe because the image of him was small, it doesn't look as bad as it does in the trailer.

There's something about his Poirot moustache, that keeps reminding me of Dr Loveless from the Wild Wild West film.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,432

I hope we never see 'Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit' Branagh again, either. That movie was the textbook definition of generic, forgettable Hollywood fare.

I gave up on that film during the first act lol it just did not feel like the other films, and I got through Sum of all fears lol

Maybe because the image of him was small, it doesn't look as bad as it does in the trailer.

There's something about his Poirot moustache, that keeps reminding me of Dr Loveless from the Wild Wild West film.

Forgot about Loveless... Branagh needs to put more wax on his tash akin to Suchet and Finney.
    @fire_and_ice, that was a smart choice on your part, you aren't missing a thing!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47

Our very own Mathieu Amalric directs and stars in this new french biopic: Barbara. I apologise for the lack of subtitles.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Forgot about Loveless... Branagh needs to put more wax on his tash akin to Suchet and Finney.

I sincerely apologise for reminding you of that nightmare. ;)

I sincerely apologise for reminding you of that nightmare. ;)

Ha ha what a Cgi fest that was Kevin Kline was the best thing about it.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin

1st trailer for Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express:

That I have to say is one heck of a cast!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    As far as I'm concerned, truthfully speaking, the art of filmmaking died by the time the 1980s arrived while film mechanics began improving.

In the 21st century, you can fully well have your fantasy fests visualize (Fast and Furious) and use as much techniques and computer generated imagery to depict your make believe young boy dreams. But, the art of actually showing a theatrical power tool with superiority in performances without overdoing (nowadays, you have to overact to obtain critical acclaim for your performance) it, all too effortlessly if you will, drag the viewer straight into its reality died in the seventies.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,691
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47

1st english trailer for Blade of the Immortal, the 100th film directed by Takashi Miike:

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I want to watch this film, @DaltonCraig007 ! :D
    @DarthDimi according to viewers who saw it in Cannes, the total body count in this film is above the 1,000 mark.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Mountain Between Us reminds me of Liam Neeson's The Grey.
    It also reminds me of 1997's The Edge, which is a superb film. It stars Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. Highly recommended.
    Awesome film!
    edited June 2017 Posts: 40,503
    'Top Gun 2,' titled 'Top Gun: Maverick,' will retain the same feel/score of the original:

http://collider.com/top-gun-2-title-tom-cruise/

Someone made the closing music cue even better for that 'Murder on the Orient Express' trailer. Now it's even more fitting!

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ha! :D
    Kenneth Branagh
    IS
    Agatha Christie's Slim Shady
    in
    Sick Beats On The Orient Express.
    Kenneth Branagh
    IS
    Agatha Christie's Slim Shady
    in
    Sick Beats On The Orient Express.
    :))
    A slew of clips from 'The Mummy' have been released:

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-mummy-clips-tom-cruise-has-trouble-with-guns-birds-planes-sofia-boutella/

Also, I still don't believe it's coming until I'm watching the credits roll, but filming has wrapped on Terry Gilliam's 'The Man Who Killed Don Quixote':

http://collider.com/terry-gilliam-the-man-who-killed-don-quixote/

The 1st trailer for American Made starring Tom Cruise will drop this afternoon.

Here's a short clip for those who can access Twitter:

They're really doing it in a similar style to Netflix's 'Narcos', with the narration from Tom Cruise. Really can't wait for this film.
    Can't wait!! :D
    I like that it has the narration style of 'Narcos,' and that Barry Seal was also played by someone else in the first season of that show.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looks better than The Mummy.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Rocketed up to my top 5 to see this year. Da Cruise is on fire these days. I had almost forgotten that he is actually a damn fine actor and not just a mega movie star. This confirms that.
    I'm there! Day One! :D
    @bondjames I hope this will be Tom Cruise's 'Lord of War' type film. I had big hopes for 'War Dogs' last year, but while it was pretty damn good, it was nowhere near the level of LoW. Nicolas Cage in that film was just insanely impressive.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, this has the feel of both Lord of War and War Dogs (which I haven't seen apart from the trailers) to me. I love the authenticity of the cinematography and photography. Really seems like a film made in the 70's (I'm almost reminded of Moore's Gold , which I watched last week).

It reminds me of something else but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's Breaking Bad.
    @bondjames Tom Cruise has a thing with planes lately, it seems. 'Rogue Nation', 'The Mummy' and now this. I wonder if there will be an aerial sequence in M:I:6.