Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    February 2017 preview:

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think I have 'John Wick: Chapter 2' to look forward to in February, and that's it. That movie alone should hold me over for a while.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I think I have 'John Wick: Chapter 2' to look forward to in February, and that's it. That movie alone should hold me over for a while.

I thought you only cared for '50 Shades Darker'. ;)

I thought you only cared for '50 Shades Darker'. ;)

You've caught me! Now everyone knows.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The only film that looks unmissable there is A Cure for Wellness.

I've heard good things about it, but I rarely watch trailers for horror/thriller movies these days, they're way too revealing and riddled with spoilers.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The Highlander Re-boot is picking up steam and it seems promising. I'm happy that the director acknowledges the TV series and what it brought to the mythology.

http://screenrant.com/highlander-reboot-trilogy-john-wick/
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I've heard good things about it, but I rarely watch trailers for horror/thriller movies these days, they're way too revealing and riddled with spoilers.
    Collide, A Cure for Wellness & Get Out all look like they're worth watching, along with Wick 2 of course.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 40,473
    'Collide' was shot a couple of years ago and screams 'direct-to-DVD.'

'Get Out' is another one that I'll likely check out eventually, but again: it's horror, and horror trailers spoil all the fun. I avoided everything for 'The Autopsy of Jane Doe,' watched it a few nights ago, and had a blast. It doesn't rival 'Alien' like Stephen King said, and while it's cliche at times, it was damn good fun.

EDIT: Diego Luna to star in 'Scarface' remake, Antoine Fuqua no longer directing so he can focus on 'The Equalizer 2':

http://www.slashfilm.com/scarface-remake-diego-luna/#more-396235
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

A new revenge action film has been just confirmed: Hard Powder. The synopsis is as follows.

'Nels, an upright snowplow driver, awarded a Citizen of the Year prize by his glitzy Colorado ski town, has his life turned upside down when his son is murdered by a powerful local drug kingpin. Fueled by an unwavering drive for vengeance and armed with heavy machinery, this unlikely hero sets out to dismantle the cartel with extreme prejudice, and he’s not stopping until he gets to the top of the food chain.'

Oh, I almost forgot: it is none other than Liam Neeson who will use his very specific set of skills to portray Nels in this film.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sounds interesting and I hope it's great but I'm starting to worry a little about Neeson taking these roles that are too similar.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well, if you don't mind typecasting...

Personally, I'm excited for it.
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

I just learned about the film 'Suspension', which may get into production some time this year:

'Liam Neeson plays Harry Monk, who is on his way back from spending 15 years in a New Jersey prison for shooting a cop, when he has to stop terrorists who have seized control of New York’s George Washington Bridge during a hellish traffic jam.'
    Bloody hell, is Neeson paying back student lones on behalf of numerous family members or something?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,588
    I'm worried for Neeson. I hope he doesn't end up pulling a Nicholas Cage on his career.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I love what I've read so far about these upcoming Neeson actioners. Typecast he may be, but nobody does it better as far as I'm concerned. Those specific set of skills are going to be put to very good use shortly.
    I want Neeson in a few more Scudder movies.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Can't wait for The Snowman, Fassbender is the best.
    All these action films are going to be made no matter what, there is always a demand for mindless action flicks. However, I rather guys like Liam Neeson, Mel Gibson, Jason Statham and Denzel Washington to do the most of these films they can, even if they become typecast, because the alternative is Hollywood casting some block of wood like Jai Courtney, Sam Worthington or Aaron Johnson, and then these entertaining sounding action flicks become unwatchable because of these sorry excuses for leading stars.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2017 Posts: 28,694
    All these action films are going to be made no matter what, there is always a demand for mindless action flicks. However, I rather guys like Liam Neeson, Mel Gibson, Jason Statham and Denzel Washington to do the most of these films they can, even if they become typecast, because the alternative is Hollywood casting some block of wood like Jai Courtney, Sam Worthington or Aaron Johnson, and then these entertaining sounding action flicks become unwatchable because of these sorry excuses for leading stars.

Good point. Best to let the veterans show the young hooligans how it's done.

Now we just need a film where Neeson, Gibson, Washington and Keanu Reeves all play a small crew of loyal cops facing big criminal threats with their bullets and clenched fists.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It's not even a case of young vs old. Look at Craig in CR, he was 38, and I'd rank him right up there with performances from Neeson/Denzel in their 60's. It's just that in the last 8/10 years, the amount of badass younger stars has been very limited in a sea of blocks of wood. Apart from Craig, who is close to entering his 50's, there is not much choice for awesome younger stars. In Asia they are doing alright (Iko Uwais is 33), but Hollywood they are struggling. Just go through your head the titles of cool action flicks since 2010, there aren't many with main stars below 40.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It's not even a case of young vs old. Look at Craig in CR, he was 38, and I'd rank him right up there with performances from Neeson/Denzel in their 60's. It's just that in the last 8/10 years, the amount of badass younger stars has been very limited in a sea of blocks of wood. Apart from Craig, who is close to entering his 50's, there is not much choice for awesome younger stars. In Asia they are doing alright (Iko Uwais is 33), but Hollywood they are struggling. Just go through your head the titles of cool action flicks since 2010, there aren't many with main stars below 40.

Yes, I have these kinds of discussions with film lovers all the time. Someone will bring up action films and say, "How many young action stars can you actually name that are working right now," and silence soon follows. Thankfully we have the likes of Neeson, Crusie, Reeves and co. around to entertain us.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Thinking real hard, I can name Chris Evans (he's 35 now, isn't he?) who really blew me away in 'Winter Soldier'. But that's about it. Even Matt Damon is 46 now.
    EDIT: double post.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Thinking real hard, I can name Chris Evans (he's 35 now, isn't he?) who really blew me away in 'Winter Soldier'. But that's about it. Even Matt Damon is 46 now.

Chris Evans flashed in my mind, as did Chris Pine. But even in those cases I can't name examples of actors who are solely renowned for doing action films. Scott Adkins is the only actor from the west that I can think of now that fits the classification.

giphy.gif
    @doubleoego, these kinds of trailers make me want to play Sleeping Dogs again.
    That was an awesome game.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    That was an awesome game.
    I was hoping you'd played it, as it's right up your alley. It's a shame we'll likely never see a sequel, as the developer behind it got closed down late last year.