Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

Looks good. I really hope this film meets my expectations. Second-most anticipated right now behind Silence.
    Allied looks great and "War on Everyone" is a movie I just heard about and I have to say it looks really fun.
    First image of Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt in Passengers (2016)

passengers-chris-pratt-jennifer-lawrence.jpg
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm loving that dress. JLaw rocks.
    Space suits and Jennifer Lawrence. What else does a film need?

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Allied really looks good!
    Don't know if this has been posted here, but...

@DaltonCraig007 @Creasy47

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @ClarkDevlin I don't see how I might not enjoy this film. Looks fantastic!
    Indeed! :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    First picture of an unrecognizable Jake Gyllenhaal for the sci-fi horror film Okja, from the director of 'Snowpiercer'.

gyllenhaal17f-1-web.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Nobody can ever say Jake Gyllenhaal repeats himself. With every role he's doing something new and pushing himself in another way.
    I never ever would have thought that he´d turn out such a bloody impressive actor when I first saw him in The Day after Tomorrow...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2016 Posts: 28,694
    And he's only been nominated by the Academy once (and has never come close to winning)! He must be having sex with all the members' wives and daughters, just as I suggested was the case with DiCaprio, hence his mistreatment and lack of accolades.

He's a truly transformative actor, and always pushes himself in fresh ways, often to a serious extreme. He's going by the Christian Bale playbook, and that's not a bad thing at all. He's an actor I'd see in anything, because he doesn't just take any role thrown at him. He really develops his characters on fascinating projects.
    Gyllenhaal has 3 films next year, and all 3 are completely different - he'll be in this 'Okja' sci-fi horror film from a South Korean director, in the sci fi 'Life' where he will discover life on Mars with the help of Ryan Reynolds and Rebecca Fergusson, and in 'Stronger' where he will be a victim of the 2013 Boston bombing and will overcome a serious trauma in order to help the police find the perpretators (not the same film as Peter Berg's Patriots Day with Mark Whalberg).
    Stronger and Patriots Day are another example of Hollywood productions facing off with each other in the same year with films of a similar theme.

Reminds me of the fight for the best White House takeover film in Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down. There's another example of rival studios with basically the same film premises facing off that I'm forgetting...
    Malick's Voyage Of Time will be in Venice (premiere September 7th)
    - the longer, 90 min, Cate Blanchett narrated version, Voyage Of Time: Life's Journey

13921025_817590475008044_4791691891779041439_n.jpg?oh=191aad1ebb3d6a58d72e4735142cd03a&oe=58506BEC

The official Venice synopsis for those interested what it's about:
    "The universe unfolds before your eyes in this experience for the senses, mind and soul. Voyage of Time: Life’s Journey is an exploration into our planetary past and a search for humanity’s place in the future. Humming with the energy of nature itself, the film melds innovative special effects with awe-inspiring footage from around the globe and beyond, in search of what lasts, what endures, over time.
    What does it mean, after all those eons, to be us, here, now? The action traces the scientific chronology of the universe, from the birth of the stars to the explosion of new life on earth, to the planet altering debut of humankind. Malick invites audiences to probe past, present and future in intimate ways. The film shows an array of never-witnessed natural phenomena – celestial and terrestrial, macroscopic and microscopic – all informed by a team of cutting edge science advisors.
    The fierce geology of the early planet. The first cells, growing, dividing, exploring every niche open to them. The coming of fish, forests, dinosaurs and our own species with its need to reckon with everything – all this transforms into a hymn to nature, life and the universe. No two people will have the same experience."

13659214_811798838920541_143826184804772574_n.jpg?oh=b5c701b6cc62c12b776b9120e9e5b6fd&oe=5856DE65

And Weightless is supposedly set for US March 2017 release according to some reports (premiering in Berlin, perhaps?).

Also...

I really like these stills from Nocturnal Animals:
    CpwAqPkWIAAJCbW.jpg:large

and La La Land:

CpwEeKhXgAALyIU.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Voyage of Time' is looking incredible. I can't wait to get the chance to watch it.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Me too, @Creasy47. I'd love to see both versions, but I guess I'll have to settle for the 90 min non-IMAX version. Not that I expect the regular version to arrive to my home town either, but short distance travel in the train for a movie I can do. Just did in the spring for Malick's previous movie. Thrice. (Umm, yeah, well, there was that London trip a year ago, but apart from that relatively short distance.)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Stronger and Patriots Day are another example of Hollywood productions facing off with each other in the same year with films of a similar theme.

Reminds me of the fight for the best White House takeover film in Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down. There's another example of rival studios with basically the same film premises facing off that I'm forgetting...

Maybe you re thinking of those asteroid films a few years ago?
    @Tuulia, if you're saying you saw 'Knight of Cups' three times, I can only assume it was great. I've been wanting to see it, just haven't had the chance.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Maybe you re thinking of those asteroid films a few years ago?
    Yep, Armageddon and Deep Impact. There are others too however:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/54768/25-movies-similar-plots-released-same-year
    First trailer for Kevin Costner's latest film, 'Hidden Figures':

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I love me some Taraji P Henson and Janelle Monae.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I love me some Taraji P Henson and Janelle Monae.
    Me too. Henson is terrific in Empire.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yep! A real force of nature.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Dante's Peak / Volcano, and Armageddon / Deep Impact are two more late 90's examples.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Robin Hood, The Three Musketeers...
    'Jobs'/'Steve Jobs' and the fact that we'll have two different 'Jungle Book' movies in a matter of two years; they're called twin films, apparently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_films
    We also have the 'Lewis Gilbert effect' where he basically made 3 times same Bond film. ;)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Tuulia, if you're saying you saw 'Knight of Cups' three times, I can only assume it was great. I've been wanting to see it, just haven't had the chance.

It's the kind of movie that if you accept it's not a normal movie with normal dialogue (the dialogue is fragmented, sometimes inaudible, and probably less important a lot of the time than music), and "plot" etc. and let it wash over you and take it as an experience you may love it as I did. As did many others. Some have called it a visual poem, and I think that's a good description. On the other hand many people absolutely hated it as well. I can't predict how you'd feel about it.
    It's definitely Malick, but more experimental Malick. Some people who love Malick's other work loved this, too, while others who love some of his earlier work hated it. For me it was the first ever Malick movie I've loved on first viewing, and that actually surprised me. I knew more about it than probably any movie before seeing the movie for the first time, and I was prepared to be kinda meh about it or worse - and believe me I was with To The Wonder (only seen that once, but it's on my re-watch list), but instead I was moved and thrilled by it.
    Obviously there's no right or wrong in these matters, you'll feel what you'll feel. You may love it hate it or something in between. What I found thrilling you may find boring. What I found touching may leave you unmoved. What made me grin may have no effect on you. The only thing I'm pretty sure you can appreciate is Lubezki's cinematography. Eeh... at least I think so. I now remember some people didn't even like that. Oops.

It's a difficult movie to recommend, since it's impossible to say what others will take from it. Since you're interested, then absolute watch it. I'm sure you know there was no script, and that gives a lot of freedom to both actors and the audience. So create your own movie, the stories out of the kaleidoscope and fragments given. Admire the beauty and don't fight it.

Happy watching. (I hope.)

:)
    Malick, but an experimental twist on Malick? Damn, that sounds even better now. I don't remember what it was, but I saw a trailer for it attached to a movie I saw in cinemas a few months back, and I was completely engrossed in it while subsequently having no idea what was going on.

Anytime I see Lubezki attached to a film, it adds some promise and optimism to the project for me. Malick's work is usually quite the journey, and Lubezki captures things wonderfully. I hope I get the chance to check it out soon, will be sure to post my thoughts when I do!
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Well, he used to have scripts (even if he then sometimes ignored them). Actors presumably also knew at least approximately what was expected of them, what they should be doing or saying, and most of the time what the other actors would say or do next... and indeed if they were all even actors or not. And, well, what the overall story is and their part in it (not the extras or bit players, but the leads would normally know all that). Actors are usually expected to prepare in some ways, do their homework before arriving on set, at the very least learn their lines. And the audience expects certain things from a movie - starts here, ends there, there's a plot in between, dialogue is written and memorized, and you hear it and it's all part of the plot, actors do what they're told, and... you know, stuff like that. Many people when they don't get their regular movie things can't accept anything else really is a movie that has something to say.

Looking forward to your thoughts, @Creasy47! Oh, btw, if you want to prepare in any way read a bit about tarot cards - at least about Knight Of Cups, what it signifies (also when upside down), and maybe Death (not referring to actual death in tarot cards). It's not necessary, but I found it helpful. (I previously had no clue.) I mean since the name of the movie is the name of a tarot card and it is divided in chapters with names of tarot cards (except for one chapter), they seem kinda relevant to me. (I bet studies in philosophy would be useful, too - Malick even taught it himself - but oh well...)