Each actor - Their worst and best line delivery

edited July 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 75
I was watching Skyfall, getting my self hyped about Bond 24 (I might have a long wait it seems though now!). And a specially bad line reading from Daniel Craig stood out to me. And I start to wonder. What is each actor's worst line delivery - and let's have the best too to keep things positive. But let's make a start.

Connery:
Best: "Impregnable" - YOLT
Worst: "Hello Penny" - YOLT

Lazenby
Best: "May all your allergies. Be swiftly cured."
Worst: "It's Blofeld! It's Blofeld!"

Moore
Best: "Well, it'll go off." - TSWLM
Worst: "I didn't think there were any seasons in space" - MR

Dalton
Best: "You're calling me a horse's ass?"
Worst: "Must be an atmospheric phenomenon" - TLD

Pierce
Best: "You first. YOU, second. UPPPP!" - GE
Worst: "WADE WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE" - TND

Craig
Best: "I'm all ears!" - CR
Worst: "You know the answer to that. You know the whole STOOOO-RY." - SF

There are lot of contenders for these, but let's all get a chance to have a say.
«1345

Comments

  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Posts: 2,667
    Moments of unexpectedly awful accents always stand out for me. Dalton's random Northern "nasty" in LTK is only superseded by that ruddy awful "James Barnd" from Brosnan in TWINE.
  • Posts: 2,237
    Tokoloshe wrote:
    Moments of unexpectedly awful accents always stand out for me. Dalton's random Northern "nasty" in LTK is only superseded by that ruddy awful "James Barnd" from Brosnan in TWINE.

    Connery to Felix in TB after being picked up on the rocks? "The target is Miami" or whatever and all the other dialogue in that scene. Also "You were the only one to see Strangways' new secretary."
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,175
    Connery:

    Best: "Bond, James Bond" (DN)
    Worst: "No idea, this chap's been following me all day today"

    Lazenby:

    Best: "It's quite alrite really, she's having a rest"
    Worst: "You have connections all open to me. Where is Ernst Stavro Blofeld"

    Moore:

    Best: "Keeping the British end up sir"
    Worst: "Feels even better from where I'm sitting, would you like it harder"

    Dalton:

    Best: "Get down on your knees, put your hands behind your back"
    Worst: "Moneypenny be a dear"

    Brosnan:

    Best: "I never miss"
    Worst: "Now, you said something about...going down together"

    Craig:

    Best: "Yes...considerably"
    Worst: "Of course you are...what are you doing at the consulate Fields"
    StoneShi wrote:
    Lazenby
    Best: "May all your allergies. Be swiftly cured."

    Can you count that? Technically he doesn't deliver it.
    Tokoloshe wrote:
    Moments of unexpectedly awful accents always stand out for me. Dalton's random Northern "nasty" in LTK is only superseded by that ruddy awful "James Barnd" from Brosnan in TWINE.

    I always remember Connery's line in NSNA:

    "What's the shtory on how the damn things were shtolen"

  • Posts: 1,592
    Roger never had a bad line reading as far as I'm concerned. Craig's delivery of that STO-ry line is pretty bad now that I think about it.
  • Posts: 4,353
    Roger never had a bad line reading as far as I'm concerned. Craig's delivery of that STO-ry line is pretty bad now that I think about it.

    Ha, what a fun idea for a thread.

    Brosnan had some really dodgy line readings over the years. Dalton could never really get a handle of the gags. However, Moore always delivered Bond's more ridiculous dialogue with the most ease. I can't pick any definite lines because my memory is always a little fuzzy when it comes to individual lines of dialogue.

    I disagree with the "whole story" line from SF, that's a great line and it's delivered with a haunting pathos by Daniel Craig. He says a lot despite saying so little. Great line.

    However, Craig does give some really wooden line readings on occasions. I always think back to the moment where Patrice is hanging from the Shanghai building; the way Bond says "Where's the list/ Who are you working for?" always sounds so artificial to me.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,175
    Roger never had a bad line reading as far as I'm concerned. Craig's delivery of that STO-ry line is pretty bad now that I think about it.

    Ha, what a fun idea for a thread.

    Brosnan had some really dodgy line readings over the years. Dalton could never really get a handle of the gags. However, Moore always delivered Bond's more ridiculous dialogue with the most ease. I can't pick any definite lines because my memory is always a little fuzzy when it comes to individual lines of dialogue.

    I disagree with the "whole story" line from SF, that's a great line and it's delivered with a haunting pathos by Daniel Craig. He says a lot despite saying so little. Great line.

    However, Craig does give some really wooden line readings on occasions. I always think back to the moment where Patrice is hanging from the Shanghai building; the way Bond says "Where's the list/ Who are you working for?" always sounds so artificial to me.

    I've never really had any problems with Craig's "whole story" line, however I think the following line by M "orphans always make the best recruits" is more effective. The line itself combined with her delivery has a really tragic feel to it. You can hear in her voice that she's sad to admit that.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 16,086
    Connery:
    Best - "Tell me, does toppling American missiles really compensate for having no hands?"
    Worst - "Control Room technician's, there'sh gotta be another way up there!"

    Lazenby:
    Best - "Gate crasher, I'll leave you to tidy up."
    Worst - "Good Morning, my name's Bond...James Bond. Miss errr...?"

    Moore:
    Best - "Brilliant, I'm almost speechless with admiration. Dr. Mortner would be proud of his creation."
    Worst - "Madam would kindly remove this inverted bedpan!?"

    Dalton:
    Best - "If I trusted Koskov, you would't be talking."
    Worst - "Bond...James Bond."

    Brosnan:
    Best - "Interesting setup Alec. You break into the Bank of England via computer, and transfer the money electronically. Just minutes before you set off the GoldenEye, which erases any trace of the transactions. Ingenious. But still, it boils down to petty theft. In the end, you're just a bank robber. Nothing more than a common thief."
    Worst - "Zao...I'm being traded...for you..."

    Craig:
    Best - "Can I offer an opinion? I really think you people should find a better place to meet."
    Worst -"Name check; Dominic Greene."
  • Posts: 75
    So more bad Brosnans:

    "Me too." (DAD)

    "The coldest weapon of all." (DAD)

    "So you live to die another day..."

    "Carver owns that newspaper tomorrow." (TND)

    Lazenby:

    "Does this mean you've lost confidence in me?"
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 19,339
    Connery:
    Best - "I dont know...could it be the front door bell ?" : TB
    Worst -"Is that who it was? ,well it just proves no-one's indestructable" : DAF

    Lazenby:
    Best - "So how many hundred millions do you want for your services this time,Blofeld ?"
    Worst - "Good Morning, my name's Bond...James Bond. Miss ?"

    Moore:
    Best - "Dont worry darling,its just a hat belonging to a small headed man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken" : LALD
    Worst - "Goodnight Sir" : TMWTGG

    Dalton:
    Best - "Oh yes,i got the message...he's with Whitaker,in Tangiers." :TLD
    Worst - "You're just in time,things were about to turn naaaasty" : LTK

    Brosnan:
    Best - "Don't worry, I'm not here to take it back. Put your hands down." : DAD
    Worst - "I`m checkin` out. Thanks for the kiss of life." : DAD

    Craig:
    Best - "The names Bond, James Bond" : CR
    Worst -"That's because you know what i can do with my little finger" : CR
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,175
    "The coldest weapon of all." (DAD)

    I thought that was pretty good.

    But: "This is a game I can't afford to play" was pretty bad as was "and wadda you think" in DAD

    A few bad ones from Moore you made me think of:

    "And I want him theeerre"
    "Well what the hell is Lazar"

    Laz:

    "And kindly present it to that monument in there"
    "But darling...now we have all the time in the world"
    "Thank you Q but this time I've got the gadgets...and I know how to use them"

  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 7,466
    Murdock wrote:
    Connery:
    Best - "Tell me, does toppling American missiles really compensate for having no hands?"
    Worst - "Control Room technician's, there'sh gotta be another way up there!"

    Lazenby:
    Best - "Gate crasher, I'll leave you to tidy up."
    Worst - "Good Morning, my name's Bond...James Bond. Miss errr...?"

    Moore:
    Best - "Brilliant, I'm almost speechless with admiration. Dr. Mortner would be proud of his creation."
    Worst - "Madam would kindly remove this inverted bedpan!?"

    Dalton:
    Best - "If I trusted Koskov, you would't be talking."
    Worst - "Bond...James Bond."

    Brosnan:
    Best - "Interesting setup Alec. You break into the Bank of England via computer, and transfer the money electronically. Just minutes before you set off the GoldenEye, which erases any trace of the transactions. Ingenious. But still, it boils down to petty theft. In the end, you're just a bank robber. Nothing more than a common thief."
    Worst - "Zao...I'm being traded...for you..."

    Craig:
    Best - "Can I offer an opinion? I really think you people should find a better place to meet."
    Worst -"Name check; Dominic Greene."

    I do like those choices, all excellent.

    I would need to watch the films all over to pick through the best and worst, but as a non-Dalton fan I don't enjoy his line delivery much at all (that's just me though), so it's easy to pick out the good ones. And my choice for his best would be the perfectly timed and delivered "You're the first" to Koskov as he is wrapped up in the pod.

    I also love Moore's TMWTGG line about Goodnight's dress "Tight in all the right places and not too many buttons"

    Must do this properly, it appeals...
  • Posts: 11,175
    Regarding Dalton I've often felt a bit iffy about his dramatic "TAKE ME TO HIM" line in LTK. Doesn't sound very natural to me.
  • Posts: 39
    Nice to see a refreshing new topic here thanks @StoneShi. Is this the start of a new Mi6?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 7,466
    TakeASip wrote:
    Nice to see a refreshing new topic here thanks @StoneShi. Is this the start of a new Mi6?
    You want a nice new MI6 after a few weeks membership?
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 12,059
    TakeASip wrote:
    Nice to see a refreshing new topic here thanks @StoneShi. Is this the start of a new Mi6?

    There are plenty of new topics being discussed on a daily basis. As interesting and debatable as this discussion is, it's hardly cutting edge. (No offence @StoneShi)
    I think it's actually a good bit of fun. And when I get a moment to think of some, I'll be happy to add to the discussion.

  • Posts: 2,341
    Connery
    Best You expect me to talk? GF
    Worst You're glad? TB

    Lazenby
    best We have all the time in the world
    Worst Tactfully to favor me (actually baker's voice was mistakenly dubbed here-sloppy)

    Moore
    Best When someone's trying to put a bullet in your back at 40 mph, you don't stop to remember faces. TSWLM

    Worst His name is Jaws, he kills people MR

    Dalton
    Best One sound and you're dead. LTK
    Worst Salt corrosion

    Brosnan
    Best It had occurred to me GE
    Worst Thats a name to die for DAD

    Craig
    Best The names Bond, James Bond CR
    Worst The bithch is dead now CR



  • Posts: 479
    Dalton's Bond, James Bond was absolutely terrible.
  • Posts: 1,548
    StoneShi wrote:
    I was watching Skyfall, getting my self hyped about Bond 24 (I might have a long wait it seems though now!). And a specially bad line reading from Daniel Craig stood out to me. And I start to wonder. What is each actor's worst line delivery - and let's have the best too to keep things positive. But let's make a start.

    Connery:
    Best: "Impregnable" - YOLT
    Worst: "Hello Penny" - YOLT

    Lazenby
    Best: "May all your allergies. Be swiftly cured."
    Worst: "It's Blofeld! It's Blofeld!"

    Moore
    Best: "Well, it'll go off." - TSWLM
    Worst: "I didn't think there were any seasons in space" - MR

    Dalton
    Best: "You're calling me a horse's ass?"
    Worst: "Must be an atmospheric phenomenon" - TLD

    Pierce
    Best: "You first. YOU, second. UPPPP!" - GE
    Worst: "WADE WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE" - TND

    Craig
    Best: "I'm all ears!" - CR
    Worst: "You know the answer to that. You know the whole STOOOO-RY." - SF

    There are lot of contenders for these, but let's all get a chance to have a say.

    Sorry to be pedantic but Dalton actually says " It must be an atmospheric anomaly" in TLD. I agree with the naffness of the line though!

  • Posts: 2,341
    Moore did his best work in TSWLM. He was really up for this one.
    While DAD is such a badly written film that it is hard to find a really really bad line. That film is full of them.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,175
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Moore did his best work in TSWLM. He was really up for this one.

    Agreed, there was a good mix of serious and light there. Virtually all his line readings are spot on as far as I can remember (he's still laughably bad in the rooftop fight scene though).
  • Sammm04 wrote:
    Dalton's Bond, James Bond was absolutely terrible.

    I think it's awsome... :P
  • Posts: 19,339
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Dalton's Bond, James Bond was absolutely terrible.

    I think it's awsome... :P

    the annoying thing is that in the trailer for TLD he delivers it really really well,so why they didnt use that is yet another stupid mystery.
  • OHMSS69 wrote:
    Lazenby
    best We have all the time in the world
    Worst Tactfully to favor me (actually baker's voice was mistakenly dubbed here-sloppy)

    I don't think that was mistakenly dubbed. Lazenby (or Baker) is saying 'Naturally, to favour me..' I think, that is Bond is showing off that he can do Bray's voice as part of his impersonation. To do that, Lazenby's voice of course has to be dubbed by Baker. Bray reacts by looking a bit pensive or put out by this brilliant impersonation.

    I just can't get on with the whole dubbing thing by Bray, it stinks and it hurts that Baker's voice really is that of an old stuffed shirt.

  • Posts: 2,341
    The decision to dub Baker's voice after Bond assumes the identity was all Peter Hunt's idea. Laz had no idea until he saw the picture and he was a bit put off by it.

    This is the only one of Hunt's decisions that left me scratching my head regarding his direction of this supreb film.
  • Posts: 1,548
    Ironically George Baker was rumoured to be in contention for Bond after Connery left.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,237
    Connery:
    B: "That's a Smith and Wesson, and you've had your six."
    W: "Is that who it was?"

    Lazenby:
    B: "This department owes her a debt. She saved my life."
    W: "Get dressed."

    Moore:
    B: "Then I shall use player's privilege... and use YOUR lucky die."
    W: "May Day, where have you beeeeeeeeen?"

    Dalton:
    B: "Don't you want to know why?"
    W: "It must be an atmospheric anomaly."

    Brosnan:
    B: "Threw it out years ago."
    W (how has nobody chosen this one yet): "Heknewaboutmyshoooulderknewexactlywheretohuuurtme."

    Craig:
    B: "M really doesn't mind you making a little money on the side, Dryden. She'd just prefer it if it wasn't selling secrets."
    W: "Wish I could help."
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 7,466

    Brosnan:
    W (how has nobody chosen this one yet): "Heknewaboutmyshoooulderknewexactlywheretohuuurtme."
    Love it my good man, love it. :-)
  • Roger never had a bad line reading as far as I'm concerned. Craig's delivery of that STO-ry line is pretty bad now that I think about it.

    Roger Moore had a bad line read if the line was bad. In A View To A Kill when Mortner caught him snooping around, he said: " I was looking for the bar..."
    Lame excuse delivered in a lame fashion.....:D
  • Posts: 11,175
    What about when Moore first meets Stacey and tries to turn on the charm in a rather clumsy manner:

    "I was hoping we'd spend the evening together, now I shall be all alone".
  • Posts: 6,396
    I hate the way Craig says "I have to stop the bleeding" in SF. Something rubs me up the wrong way about it.
Sign In or Register to comment.