Who is your favorite Bond director? (Poll)

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Terence Young for me, gave us three of the greatest adventures of the entire series when Bond was arguably at his most Fleming esque, Dalton did come very close to this under John Glen in the 1980s, but with Young is where it all started, look at the caliber of films under his direction, Dr No, From Russia with Love and Thunderball, it all speaks for itself, and he was not responsible for the awful Goldfinger either, which would of counted against him - Hamilton can have the rotten tomatoes for that

Can't argue with that (except I quite like GF), I always thought I was the only person who thought Hamilton was over-rated, but having read this thread and some others I can see I'm not alone. Phew!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Terence Young for me, gave us three of the greatest adventures of the entire series when Bond was arguably at his most Fleming esque, Dalton did come very close to this under John Glen in the 1980s, but with Young is where it all started, look at the caliber of films under his direction, Dr No, From Russia with Love and Thunderball, it all speaks for itself, and he was not responsible for the awful Goldfinger either, which would of counted against him - Hamilton can have the rotten tomatoes for that

Can't argue with that (except I quite like GF), I always thought I was the only person who thought Hamilton was over-rated, but having read this thread and some others I can see I'm not alone. Phew!

Hamilton overrated? Ha! That's the polar opposite of what I think of him in my mind. Utter rubbish doesn't begin to describe his Bond work.

Hamilton overrated? Ha! That's the polar opposite of what I think of him in my mind. Utter rubbish doesn't begin to describe his Bond work.

Er, polar opposite if over-rated would be under-rated! Do you like Hamilton or not? I think he was responsible for some of the worst entries in the series. And I know I've said this elsewhere (but I still have trouble believing it) he actually thought Burt Reynolds would have made a good Bond! ffs, just shows, to me anyhow, that he didn't know the character of Bond!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Er, polar opposite if over-rated would be under-rated! Do you like Hamilton or not? I think he was responsible for some of the worst entries in the series. And I know I've said this elsewhere (but I still have trouble believing it) he actually thought Burt Reynolds would have made a good Bond! ffs, just shows, to me anyhow, that he didn't know the character of Bond!

Sorry, what I mean is that if someone thinks he is overrated they must have some notion that people actually adore him to the extent that he has that image of being liked too much, but to me there is nothing much to like. GF is okay, but his other work is just abortive. To be clear, I don't prefer him, no. Anyway, as for me:

I would say Terence, as he brought us my favorite Bond, and really helped Sean become a household name and professional badass on and off screen. His films will always be in the top 10, and I just love the Cold War feel that you feel from them, especially FRWL. DN, FRWL, and TB were fantastic adventures, and it is a shame he left GF and it fell into the hands of Hamilton. Campbell would be a second for me, and hopefully come November Mendes will be high in my Bond director rankings as well.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236
    edited July 2012 Posts: 1,874
    Glen, Campbell and Young

Sounds like a country music trio, y'all.
    Or even duo if you remove the comma!
    Glen, Campbell and Young

Sounds like a country music trio, y'all.
    Or even duo if you remove the comma!

Or, Glen Campbell the country singer! :D
    I would of liked to have seen (or heard) Garth Brooks or even Dolly do a Bond theme, maybe this illustrates how tired I must be, but I stick with my thoughts, we have seen a wide variety of artists come and go over the years so why not one or two country singers have a go?

If Terence Young was tops, then guys like Glen or even Gilbert can't be far behind or worth a mention. Hamilton gave us the excellent Live and Let Die and impressive Golden Gun, but there's this serious distaste for his involvement with Goldfinger and Diamonds are Forever, two releases I genuinely don't like. Campbell is responsible for two of the biggest releases of the series and warrants a round of applause but I always feel, above all else, Terence Young simply wins this battle, Lewis Gilbert may move up to second place eventually, but for now, I feel Glen takes that position

I need to sleep.. Goodnight I-)
    Having watched Skyfall my answer is: Sam Mendes. Easily.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    After SF my hastily revised list would be something like this:

1. Hunt
    2. Mendes
    3. Young
    4. Campbell
    5. Glen
    6. Gilbert
    7. Hamilton
    8. Spottiswoode
    9. Forster
    10. Apted
    11. Cant even bear to write his name.

Its a very close call between Young and Mendes and again between Campbell and Glen.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Does it rhyme with spamahorie?

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2012 Posts: 9,117
    chrisisall wrote:

Yeah something like that I cant quite remember - Trannyhori, Tamawhorei?

To be fair to the bloke Devils Double is not a bad film.

But DAD is.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 553
    For me, I have it, in order

Young
    Campbell
    Hunt
    Glen
    Mendes
    Hamilton (purely for Goldfinger)
    Apted
    Spottiswoode
    Forster
    Gilbert
    and
    From the team that brought you XXX2: State of the Union
  • In order.

1) Glen
    2) Campbell
    3) Young/Gilbert
    4) Mendes
    5) Hunt
    6) Apted
    7) Hamilton
    8) Spottiswoode
    9) Forster/Tamahori
    chrisisall wrote:

Yeah something like that I cant quite remember - Trannyhori, Tamawhorei?

To be fair to the bloke Devils Double is not a bad film.

But DAD is.

When I saw Devils Double I couldn't believe he'd made it. I think he can make good films, but not action films. When he does those, he just fills them with too much CGI.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited October 2012 Posts: 1,243
    I have to give credit to Terence Young, Guy Hamilton as well as John Glen. I just prefer their styles the most and they all shared a connection to the early days of Bond. But honourable mention to Peter Hunt who was superb with OHMSS. They all had a unique but highly appropriate style for the series. I mean John Glen deserves credit for being able to go from A View To A kill to Licence To Kill in four short years. And with severely slashed budgets I may add compared to today.

Though I like Martin Campbell's contribution, I feel he gets too much praise when so many on the Bond crew have to work hard to achieve the result. The newer Bonds are far more action oriented to satisfy the modern audience. Action had it's place but the older films breathe better and don't jump around as fast. Back then, audiences had more of an attention span.

I mean Live And Let Die as one example by Guy Hamilton gives you the space to enjoy the view as it were. They took their time pacing wise and you could never confuse a Bond film with any other film. The older pre-1995 series made you feel like your were experiencing the locations and could sink in the scenery.

I also agree that why the older series got it so right is because they would rarely change director after just one film. Guy Hamilton being the first exception where he did not direct the next post-Goldfinger entry Thunderball. But he did Diamonds Are Forever, Live And Let Die as well as The Man With The Golden Gun. Then Lewis Gilbert came back for the next two entries and then we got a five film run with Mr Glen.

I do think it is unfair to compare old Bond to re-boot Bond. At best, re-Boot is taking elements of what came before and modernising them. Almost like a cover version but with new elements added. But Bond sometimes being an antiquated hero is why he sticks out. But the movie business has changed and the public are less forgiving.

• For me it's Martin Campbell.....until I see Skyfall at least......
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Updated:

1 - Campbell
    2 - Hunt
    3 - Young
    4 - Mendes
    5 - Glen
    6 - Gilbert
    7 - Hamilton
    8 - Spottiswoode
    9 - Forster
    10 - Apted
    11 - Tamahori
    Here's a question to anybody who has seen SF, and without giving away any spoilers. if possible, is Mendes' style of directing pretty distinct, or does it kind of mimmick that of previous Bond directors?
  • Distinctive I would say. There are shot selections that we haven't seen the likes of before. That said the use of landscape shots may evoke Peter Hunt a little, but the film does look and feel very different
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    00Beast wrote:
    Here's a question to anybody who has seen SF, and without giving away any spoilers. if possible, is Mendes' style of directing pretty distinct, or does it kind of mimmick that of previous Bond directors?

judging based off other films i have seen him make.... i wouldn't say he has his own distinct style, like a Tarantino or Scorsese.. but he does take a more artistic approach with camera movement, placement and lighting.

Martin Campbell- For Introducing 2 Great Bonds and eras to the world
    John Glen- one of the unsung heroes of The 8o's Bond Films
    Michael Apted- im the only one here who thinks he did good with TWINE
    Terrance Young- especially for FRWL it just breathes energy almost Hitchockian
  • pjtpjt
    I'm a John Glen fan, but I also love the work of Guy Hamilton. Martin Campbell did great with re-introducing the new Bonds, that's why I didn't understand, why were they experimenting with so many directors, it just made a lot of films stick out like sore thumbs.
    Campbell for me ....just ahead of Glen and Young.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Updated;

1. Peter Hunt
    2. Terence Young
    3. Sam Mendes
    4. Martin Campbell
    5. Lewis Gilbert
    6. John Glen
    7. Marc Forster
    8. Guy Hamilton
    9. Michael Apted
    10. Roger Spottiswoode
    11. Lee Tamahorie

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    By a long distance: Terence Young. His films are the true adaptations of the books. I feel Dr. No is an increadable film, and I don't understand why so many regard it so low. DN has all the tension, action and mistery that makes Bond books so entertaining. Same goes for FRWL, perhaps an even better film and TB. Many find the underwater scenes too long, but for something that was in it's day as exotic as space travel I think it fits very well.

Campbell I think is slightly overrated, though still very good. There's no doubt about CR, and GE wasn't bad. Although, after seeing it again yesterday, I regret to say it isn't as good as i remembered, but that's largely due to Pierce Brosnan I'm afraid. The more we see of DC as Bond the less I like PB.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 546
    1.John Glen
    2.Guy Hamilton
    3.Terrence Young
    4.Martin Campbell
    5.Peter Hunt
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,745
    1. Martin Campbell
    2. Peter Hunt
    3. Terence Young
    4. Sam Mendes
    5. Louis Gilbert
    6. John Glen
    7. Guy Hamilton
    8. Roger Spottiswoode
    9. Michael Apted
    10. Marc Forster**
    11. Lee Tamahorie**

**These are directors who's own personal ideas and concepts of what Bond should be derailed their respective films; thus they are last because they tried to be modern. One, by using an over-abundance of cgi; the other by going too indy emotional mama drama artsy fartsy.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Terrence Young
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    TOP 5 :

1. Terence Young
    2. Guy Hamilton
    3. John Glen
    4. Martin Campbell
    5. Peter Hunt

FLOP 5 :

5. Sam Mendes
    4. Lewis Gilbert
    3. Michael Apted
    2. Roger Spottiswoode
    1. Lee Tamahori

...worst by far 0 : Marc Forster.
    I don't know who was the best, but I guess my favorite director would be John Glen, I just love his style of Bond film making, not original but very good.